• Published 31st Oct 2022
  • 1,183 Views, 26 Comments

When I Look At You - Meteor_Mirage



Called to The Crystal Empire, Sunburst is tasked with interviewing their newest arrival: Ex-King Sombra. As he tries to find out why the enigmatic villain has returned, he finds there's more to the stallion than meets the eye.

  • ...
6
 26
 1,183

The Face of Someone Else

The dungeons and catacombs beneath the Crystal Palace weren’t exactly Sunburst’s favored locales. The damp, dark, torch-lit stone hallways always filled the stallion with a sense of foreboding doom, whether due to the empty cells lining the walls or the sheer oppressive ambiance. This caused him to rarely, if ever, set hoof into their depths. He much preferred the library, or the throne room, or Flurry Heart’s bedroom, or just…

Anywhere that wasn’t here.

And yet, Sunburst pressed onward. Led by Prince Shining Armor, decked in full Crystal Guard regalia, and flanked by a squadron of six guards dressed similarly. All with weapons at the ready.

Were they there for what lay further ahead, or to ensure Sunburst kept marching towards it?

No matter the answer, Sunburst kept walking. Lest he get an errant spear to the rump.

What Sunburst did know, from his many hours spent studying blueprints on a construction kick, was the current destination.

The Crystal Palace Dungeons were ancient, dug and built during the reign of the Mad Tyrant Sombra as means of ease of access to his political prisoners. Lesser ponies, guards, dukes and the like, were placed in cells like the ones Sunburst was currently walking past. Small, simple, and furnished with the bare minimum. All in wait of the unknown that awaited them further within.

This hallway, and many others like it in the catacombs, lead directly to a center chamber. An amphitheater of sorts, one specifically designed to host only the most important of prisoners. With its size, importance, and inlaid magic dampening, it wasn’t any question why any writing of the dungeons referred to it as ‘The Grand Royal Chamber’.

A cold chill ran down Sunburst’s spine as he drew closer to it, especially as he began to feel the unnerve of the guards behind him grow. It seemed that the only pony who kept his sense about him was Shining Armor, portraying the fearless leader that his men had come to expect from him.

The adventuring party quickly came to the end of the hallway, and there it sat a grand set of wooden doors, golden runes burnt into oaky wood. They still seemed as if smoldering, despite Sunburst being able to tell they were as ancient as the stone around them. Ancient enough that he struggled to even read them, only able to tell they served as a lock of sorts.

“Guards, halt!” Shining cried, his words reverberating loudly along the stone halls. His men fell in line quickly, stopping in practiced formation at the moment the order was given. Sunburst, however, was quite slow on the uptake as he stumbled into Shining’s extended spear. As Shining turned, he gave Sunburst a small, gentle smile. “That means you too, Sunny.” He said with a wink.

But that smile quickly fell from his face as he turned to face his men. In its place he wore the practiced, stoic look of a commander of his people, regarding his men with a sense of pride as he stared them down over Sunburst.

Quite an easy feat, considering Sunburst’s small stature.

“Now that we’re away from any prying ears, I must remind you all that none of what you see or hear here leaves these halls.” Shining told them sternly, his eyes narrowing as he looked across the faces of the guards he brought with him. “As you’re all among my best stallions, I don’t see myself having much problems in that regard.”

There was a small amount of murmurs from the half-dozen guards, though none of dissension. Taking this as a good sign, Shining turned to Sunburst yet again.

“So, you’re probably wondering what’s going on right about now.” Shining said with a soft, though somewhat uncomfortable chuckle.

Having been confused since Shining basically kidnapped him from the train station, Sunburst nodded in agreement. “Well, I don’t assume you brought me down here for a tour, so there’s, um, clearly something going on.”

Quickly giving the side-eye to his guards, Shining gave them a curt nod before lighting his horn a brilliant purple. The spell he cast formed an opaque purple shield around the two set-aside stallions, allowing the two to have a private conversation.

It was then that Shining’s face fell, lowering his head and his shoulders falling slack as he let out a long, deep sigh. He looked down at Sunburst, a grimace strong across his face as he mulled over the problem at hoof.

“There’s been… a bit of a situation at the border. A straggler came in from further north and…” Shining paused, then shook his head. “I’m just gonna need you to trust me here. It’s not as bad as it looks like, but it’s still… it’s still pretty bad. We don’t know why or how he’s here, so I need you to help me find that out.”

Sunburst’s eyes flicked towards the door briefly before returning to Shining’s face. There was a layer of fear that lingered. One that Sunburst had only seen two times: Once when the Changelings returned to the Crystal Empire, and the other when Flurry Heart began learning how to cast battle magic.

This was surely something serious.

But, at the same time, it was surely nothing they couldn’t handle. And, as Sunburst thought that, he nodded solemnly. “Well, one little intruder can’t be that bad. Though with the, um…” He nodded behind him, towards where the guards were most assuredly still standing, with a small uncomfortable look. “With the security detail, I can’t imagine border control is the worst of our worries today.”

Shining pursed his lips, then quickly shook his head. Turning to the ornate gate, he sighed loudly. “It’s… probably best if you see him for yourself.”

With that, Shining took a moment to compose himself. The worried look on his face fell back into one of stoicism and pride, his posture straightening to a tall, domineering stance, and breathing in a long, deep breath.

Shining Armor dropped the magic shield, again regarding his guards. “Men, it is time for Sunburst and I to enter the depths of Tartarus. It is your job, nay, your guardly duty to protect this door until we’re finished. No one goes in, and no one but us comes out. Understood?”

“Yes sir!” Came the reply from Shining’s guards, each one saluting in time.

Sunburst, however, was fighting back a smirk. Whatever it was that lay within couldn’t require this level of pomp and circumstance.

Could it?

Now an unsure and confused look spread across his face, Sunburst looked towards Shining as the larger stallion turned to face the door.

Shining’s horn lit with the same brilliant purple as before, though a twinge of gold aura slowly grew from the base of his horn to overtake his natural magic with the spell cast. A beam of golden light fired from Shining’s horn, shooting out towards one of the runes Sunburst still couldn’t identify.

Slowly, and with a loud creak, the grand door opened a crack.

Shining gave Sunburst one last lingering look before pushing past the threshold.

With no shortage of trepidation, Sunburst followed closely behind.

Upon entering the room, the door closing tight behind the two seconds after, Sunburst immediately noted how the atmosphere changed. What he now knew was just a hint of fear and worry had now grown near-oppressive in nature as he looked around the grand chamber he now stood in.

It was large, larger than he’d ever expected it to be from the designs he’d researched, but surprisingly sparse in decor. Along the walls were set stone grandstands, similar to ones seen in Ancient Roan, though what audience would sit in them Sunburst couldn’t quite tell. They all pointed towards the center of the room, in which were a few implements Sunburst had only seen in museums.

Openly displayed were pillories and chains of varying length, as well as a few implements covered in sheets, all of which formed a circle around the true centerpiece of the room: A massive cage, one that could probably fit a dozen Sunbursts, in which lay an ebony black stallion almost the size of two of him.

The stallion shifted at the sound of the door slamming shut, sitting up though not turning to regard the intruding ponies. Instead, he sighed, his shoulders falling.

“You have come to see me again, little prince.” Came his deep, resounding grumble. A quiet, hushed bass that still filled the room despite its volume. “As I said before, I do not wish to talk. Leave me be.”

Shining approached the cage with surprising courage, passing a pillory that could fit a stallion his size as he did. He stood posed inches away from the bars, posture straight and calm despite the striking presence of the larger stallion. “All you have to do is answer our questions, and you’ll be allowed to be as alone as you’d like.”

The caged stallion’s ear twitched, taking patient pause for a short moment before tilting his head. “‘Our’?” He chuckled, a low rumble that threatened to shake the room. “You hadn’t made me aware I would be hosting guests.” Though the smile could be heard on his voice, he continued to refuse to turn around and reveal it.

Similarly, a cocksure grin could be heard on Shining’s voice. “Indeed, and he’s quite the expert on you. His university studies were focused on you, so this shouldn’t be too big a problem for him.”

It was at this point that Sunburst began to turn as white as his dapples. He looked between the two combative stallions a few times, the realization finally beginning to come to light in his mind. His jaw dropped, eyes widening as he approached the tall, dark stallion.

“You’re… you’re King Sombra.”

Sombra laughed, a sound like thunder crashing filling the room. “Oh, I’ve not been a king in some time. Now just a mere prisoner to the new royals.” The stallion turned slowly, finally revealing a pearl white fanged grin and brilliant ruby eyes. “Now, who might you be, little…”

The imposing stallion’s sentence trailed off as he locked eyes with Sunburst. His smarmy grin fell, confusion and concern crossing it as those ruby eyes traced across every inch of Sunburst’s face.

Fury. Kinship. Horror. Ache. Pain. Disgust. Fear.

These expressions flashed across Sombra’s face quickly as he inspected the small unicorn placed before him before finally settling on a deep, painful longing. He stared at Sunburst, stared through him as well, as he looked as if he’d seen a ghost.

Sombra extended a hoof through the bars, shaking as it reached out for Sunburst. “Icy, you… how…?”

The space between Sunburst and Sombra quickly flashed with a purple aura, Sombra’s hoof connecting with a barrier suddenly formed instead of the pony he reached towards. As Shining Armor held Sunburst back with a foreleg, forcing himself in the middle, Sombra pulled his hoof back and stared down at it.

It smoked slightly, the spell having singed some of the fur on it. Sombra held his gaze at it for a few moments, then looked up at the nerdy unicorn stallion. He blinked a few times, then shook his head.

“No, of course not.” Sombra growled, his face steeling as a scowl pulled across his face. “Of course it wouldn’t be him. He’s…”

He trailed off again, this time squeezing his eyes shut before turning himself back around, returning to his position of lounging with his back to the stallions. “I suggest you two leave.” He said, the even, yet intense tone in his voice belying it more a warning than anything.

Despite this, Shining pressed forward. “Hold on, we aren’t done here yet.”

In an instant, the room grew darker. The candles flickering around the room remained lit, though it seemed as if their light refused to creep further than the distant corners of the room. The creature at the center of the cage flickered, his form shimmering in shadows and seeming to pulse and grow as the room grew darker and darker still.

“I said LEAVE!

A guttural cry, almost beastly in nature.

The two stallions were on the other side of the door before they even knew it, panting and shaking in fear. It was an unnatural fear that filled them, one that cast a shadow over any rational thought or feeling either stallion had.

Seeing their captain rush from the room in such fear, the guards easily became whipped up in a similar fear. They broke ranks quickly, surrounding the two stallions and watching the extremely rare sight of Shining Armor showing fear in retreat.

Extremely common for Sunburst, however, who has been seen around the castle being spooked by a cold gust of wind.

Shining slowly stood from his cowering position, legs still feeling like gelatine but pushing past despite this. His guards approached to assist, but he quickly waved them away. “I’m fine. Sombra’s just up to his old tricks again.” He breathed out a slow, seething sigh through his teeth. “Practically harmless, or so my wife says.”

“Harmless!?” Came a quick, loud reply reverberating through the hall. Sunburst shot to his hooves, his fear quickly being taken over by sheer anger at Shining Armor. “How was any of that harmless? You’re keeping King Sombra in your basement, and he nearly tried to kill us!”

It was… a somewhat hilarious sight. The guards took a uniform step back to give the two room, and also to witness the full picture. Sunburst stood on the tips of his hooves, and yet he couldn’t do more than crane his neck to almost, but barely, be eye-level with Shining’s chin. And yet despite this, he scowled with a burning anger.

For his part, Shining didn’t immediately try and put Sunburst in his place. Not like he would with a guard who was stepping to him in the same way. Instead, he breathed a cool breath, clapping Sunburst on the shoulder with a hoof in hopes to calm him down.

“Sunburst, I need you to still trust me.” Shining spoke cooly and evenly, looking down at Sunburst in a way he hoped was apologetic enough. “Trust that I’d never willingly put a friend of mine in any kind of danger.”

Sunburst’s angry expression faltered for a moment, showing an honest want to believe his friend, but he quickly put up a ghost of an attempt to still appear like he was angry. He gestured broadly to the door to his side. “It was King Sombra! If that’s not dangerous, I don’t know what is.”

“He’s usually more docile than this.” Shining said, looking to the door with a steely gaze. “He’s usually just happy enough to sit and snark at me for an hour or two. Sometimes he barely even moves or talks, but today… Something about you, I don’t know, did something to him.”

Sunburst shot a hoof up to interject and defend himself, but Shining quickly used his own to gently force it down.

“I know you didn’t do anything but be your usual dorky self, but clearly there was something…” Shining trailed off, and as he did he turned to the guard still meandering with anxiety behind him. “Let’s retreat for now, men, and I’ll reconsider how we’ll deal with this problem soon.”

With their new orders, the guards spun and reformed formation, ready to lead the two unicorns back topside and eager to distance themselves from the central chamber.

And as they waited for their orders to charge, Shining looked down towards Sunburst with no small amount of concern.

“Just go home for now, Sunburst. We’ll…” He pursed his lips, eyes flicking towards the door to Sombra’s chamber briefly before returning to Sunburst’s face. “I’ll figure out how to deal with Sombra eventually, so don’t worry about it.”

Without leaving room for response, Shining turned to his men and ordered them to march, then placed himself behind Sunburst and tapped him with his spear. There was clearly no room for argument in Shining’s words, so all Sunburst could do was follow orders and slowly trudge back through the hallway.

And yet…

It stuck with him, that look Sombra gave him. The trembling hoof extended through jail bars, reaching for him yet not for him. The burning anger that followed once Sombra realized Sunburst wasn’t who he thought.

The word—the name?—that fell from Sombra’s lips: ‘Icy’.

Picking up his pace a little, Sunburst knew that he wouldn’t be going home once he emerged to the surface. No, it was time for him to visit his home away from home: The Crystal Empire Library.

It was time for him to return to his roots and research Former King Sombra.