• Published 31st Oct 2022
  • 1,183 Views, 26 Comments

When I Look At You - Meteor_Mirage



Called to The Crystal Empire, Sunburst is tasked with interviewing their newest arrival: Ex-King Sombra. As he tries to find out why the enigmatic villain has returned, he finds there's more to the stallion than meets the eye.

  • ...
6
 26
 1,183

I Would Reach For Him

For this descent into the Crystal Empire dungeons, Sunburst neglected to tell Shining Armor he’d be visiting. Instead, he trudged through the cold, dark depths alone. Only his wits about him, lingering courage to keep him going, and a warm, covered tray that he held close to his chest.

Thankfully, Sunburst was used to the walk to the door by now. And he’d studied the spell Shining used to unlock it, meaning most of his time was spent in getting his horn to work correctly. But eventually, he fired a beam of golden light, one that only flickered a few times, directly at the runic door.

And the door slowly creaked open. Not a sound came from within the room, only a tense feeling of unwelcome that flowed out.

But Sunburst pressed on despite this, clutching his tray closer for comfort.

The specifics of Sombra’s confinement had already grown normal to Sunburst, and he wasn’t quite sure how he felt about that. The stocks, the grandstands, and the tarped off implements had begun to fade into the background to him. He maneuvered past them as if they were just normal furniture, and hoped a bit that they hadn’t seen any recent use.

No, he ignored the surroundings in favor of the centerpiece of the room. Sombra sitting in the center of the cage, his back to Sunburst as he seemed to just stare at the wall.

“You’re alone today.” Sombra grumbled, not turning to address Sunburst. “Surely you’re aware how dangerous that is.”

Sunburst shook his head, despite Sombra not being able to see it, and stepped closer to the cage. “Dangerous, but probably only because I’m technically not supposed to be down here today.”

Sombra’s ear twitched, the stallion slowly turning around so that he at least faced Sunburst. His eyes, however, still pointed at the ground. “Well, we can solve that problem quickly then. Try your hoof at interrogating me again, and perhaps we can again have this done before lunch and my next visitor.”

Sunburst laughed a bit, surprising Sombra, as he set the tray he had on the ground. “I’m not here to interrogate you anymore. As I’ve been told, I’m not the best at that.” He pulled the lid off of the tray, revealing a steaming bowl of tomato soup and a sleeve of saltine crackers. “I’m just here to bring you some food and talk. If you’ll let me.”

Sombra’s nose twitched, involuntarily sniffing the smell of something that was decidedly not the gruel he’d grown accustomed to. He leaned forward, inspecting the food through the bars with wrapt interest.

His eyes flicked up to study Sunburst’s face briefly, but they quickly fell back upon the food. “There’s a catch.” He grumbled. “There’s always a catch.”

“There isn’t much to catch on.” Sunburst said while unlatching the cell’s food hole and sliding the tray towards Sombra. “All I did was talk to the castle’s chefs and ask they stop with the gruel. Now you can expect the food to be at least a little palatable.” Sunburst watched Sombra extract a single cracker and inspect it carefully. At this, he snickered. “They’re not poisoned, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“No, I don’t see you having that in you.” Sombra grumbled, still inspecting the bowl he had placed before him. Almost absentmindedly, he warmed his hooves by the heat of the steam escaping it. “But, despite that, this isn’t what I’d requested. I have no need for anything but gruel while locked down here.”

As Sombra pushed the tray back towards the cage’s wall, Sunburst’s eye twitched. A bit on instinct, he reached his hooves through the cell and pressed the meal back towards Sombra. “You can’t just have gruel for all of your meals. It’s unhealthy!”

“As an immortal, your standards of health mean nothing to me.” Sombra growled, pressing the tray back to Sunburst again. “Gruel quells the hunger and that’s all that’s necessary.”

This, of course, did not stop Sunburst from sliding the meal right on back. “It’s cold out, and you need a hot meal. Not just lukewarm mush.”

“I braved the Frozen North for days on my way to this empire.” Sombra said, harshly shunting the tray towards Sunburst yet again. “This cold means nothing to me.”

The two unicorns went back and forth on this for a few more moments, the tray making horrible scraping noises each time either forced it between the two of them. It was a fierce battle between two fierce competitors, neither of which seemed to want to give up any ground.

That was, until Sombra finally let out a deep, heavy sigh as he slammed his hooves down on the crystalline floor. “Fine!” He growled, finally letting the tray stay towards him. “We will have it your way.”

Sombra dug the spoon he was provided into the soup, somehow finding a way to look annoyed while eating a freshly cooked meal. He ate it without question, however, and as the flavors played across his tongue, even a stallion as stoic as he couldn’t hold back a satisfied hum.

“That’s actually quite pleasant.” Sombra admitted as the warmth of the first spoonful began to fill him. He worked his jaw for a moment, humming again as he briefly closed his eyes. “The flavor is a bit strange, however. Less sweet than I’ve come to expect, and more tangy.”

“It’s my mother’s recipe, so I wouldn’t know anything about it.” Sunburst shrugged, though was unable to wipe the pleased grin from his face. “When it gets cold, I ask the castle chefs to make a batch. Not only does it keep me warm, but it reminds me of the better parts of home.”

Sombra gave a gentle laugh. “Well then, I appreciate you sharing this with me.”

Sunburst watched for a moment as Sombra dug his spoon through the soup, parting the small red sea in the bowl but never taking more to eat. He pursed his lips, tilting his head. “You know, I don’t mind if you’d like to just dig in.” He said, gesturing both hooves towards Sombra.

And Sombra hesitated, looking between the soup and Sunburst a few times before his gaze just lingered on the soup. He stared into the deep red liquid he still toyed with with his spoon, tempted by the flavor that still lingered on his tongue.

Following his stomach more than anything else, Sombra dove in. He maintained his composure briefly, taking his soup by the spoonful like the well-mannered and regal stallion he once was. Soon, however, all his inhibitions were abandoned as the hunger for finally having something flavorful took over. He tossed the spoon aside, instead preferring to scoop the bowl up with both of his hooves, drinking down the thick soup straight from its source.

Sunburst had to fight back a laugh as he watched this. Especially as, moments later, Sombra pulled the bowl from his face and he could see a nice bright red ring of sauce around his mouth.

Snickering openly now, Sunburst reached into his robe with his magic and pulled out a small star-speckled handkerchief. He attempted to pass it through the bars of Sombra’s cage, but his magic fizzled as soon as it hit the barrier. The handkerchief then fluttered uselessly to the ground as a slight burning pain ran through Sunburst’s horn.

Sombra still picked it up regardless, a small blush crossing his face as he caught Sunburst’s meaning. “Thank you. It seems I got careless.” He grumbled as he wiped his face clean. “Forgive me for the small jolt. I’m surprised to see these old runes still work. Still, no unicorn magic may pass through.”

“It’s definitely some impressive spellwork. Painful too.” Sunburst said, stroking his aching horn. “I’ve read you were quite the mage when younger, so I assume you did all the spellweaving yourself?”

Sombra chuckled softly, shaking his head but puffing his chest out with pride. “No, no. The power behind it is all mine, but the studying and actual craft was… another’s.” Sombra’s face fell again, his attention waning on that topic and instead being drawn to the dark blue handkerchief he still held. “A very interesting pattern. Was this custom made, or are stars just where fashion has advanced?”

“It’s… custom.” Sunburst said, his face screwing a bit at the strange shift in conversation. “A friend gifted it to me, though she first got it as a prop for one of her magic acts. She actually got me quite a few!” He reached into his robe with a hoof, pulling out another of the handkerchiefs.

This was tied to another handkerchief, which was tied to another, which, in turn, was tied to yet another. As Sunburst kept pulling them from his robe, smiling bashfully as he did so, a wide smirk grew along Sombra’s face.

As Sunburst finally reached the end of his rope, a small look of unease crossed his face as the last handkerchief fell to the ground in front of him. He took a moment to check his robe, then let out a soft sigh. “There was supposed to be more, but a few must have untied while in my…” He trailed off, huffing again as he was distraught at his magical faux pas.

Still, Sombra clapped politely despite this, maintaining his grin. “Quite impressive regardless. A magician and a mage in one. I’m sure the royals are very proud to have you as their head scholar.”

Sunburst’s bashful grin returned, a soft blush crossing across his orange face. “T-thank you! I’ve definitely practiced a lot.” He paused for just a moment, scratching the back of his head with a hoof. “But I’m nowhere near their scholar. Not officially, anyway. I’m just their Crystaler which, uh, doesn’t really mean much now that little Flurry is older.”

“Very necessary during traditional events, however.” Sombra nodded. “But if you don’t busy yourself with doing the royals’ research for them, then what is it you spend your time with?”

Sunburst paused, stunned that as soon as the question was posed, all of the hobbies he could talk about seemed to briefly disappear. “W-well I, um, I mostly work at a school as a vice headmare. Other than that, I obviously do multiple types of magic. And I research on my own time as well.”

“A true renaissance stallion, then. Very impressive.” Sombra crooned, a smirk pulling across his lips. “I was a researcher too, in my youth, though my own studies ended leading me down the darker corners of the arcane. I hope you’ve been finding more levity in your own studies.”

Sunburst thought briefly on that, tapping his hooves on the cold ground briefly before looking away from Sombra. “Weeeeeeell… most of my reading has been focused on, um, you. To be specific, something you said to me the first time we met.”

Though Sunburst moved to continue and explain himself, Sombra quickly stopped him by raising his hoof. The large stallion closed his eyes, tilting his head and focusing deeply with a quiet sigh. At first Sunburst was confused, but after following suit and listening closely he could now hear a set of heavy hooffalls that, while distant, was slowly approaching their chamber.

Sunburst froze, stiffening in place for a moment before beginning to shake. He looked to Sombra, eyes full of fear. “I’m- I’m not supposed to be here right now.” He managed to whisper. He quickly stood, still staying in place but tearing around to try and find other means of egress.

Sombra grumbled, setting his job. “There’s only one entrance to this room.” He muttered, then mulled over his thoughts for a moment. Standing as well, he breathed out a soft sigh. “Be calm and hold still a moment. I have a plan.”

Despite all instincts telling him to pace and search, Sunburst somehow managed to hold as still as he could. He shook and shivered as he turned to face Sombra, but he hoped it would be enough for whatever was planned.

As Sombra took in a deep breath, Sunburst watched the stallion’s form slowly unravel. His edges blurred into an inky black smoke that wisped and wavered as it grew, though still maintained a semblance of the stallion’s formerly solid form. The only thing that remained whole was his striking ruby eyes, glaring at the door behind Sunburst.

The smoky stallion floated forward, his form easily bypassing the cage that meant to contain him, stopping just short of Sunburst. “Hold your breath.” Came Sombra’s voice, though it seemed to surround Sunburst rather than coming from in front of him. “This will be unpleasant.”

Sunburst followed orders, breathing in deeply and squeezing his eyes shut.

A warmth surrounded Sunburst. Encompassing him. He felt himself drawn against Sombra’s shadowy form, the wisps of his smoke tickling him slightly as he too became semi-ethereal. Their forms intertwined briefly as Sombra brought them both back across the threshold and through the cage’s bars again.

As their forms settled down, solidifying back into their own separate bodies once again, Sombra sighed weakly. Sunburst remained still, his eyes remaining screwed shut as he struggled to contain the breath he still held.

Sombra nudged him gently with a hoof. “It’s safe to breathe again, my friend. Please do not continue to harm yourself.”

Sunburst’s eyes snapped open, immediately drawing in a gasping breath and pulling away from Sombra. He looked around the cage briefly, feeling the slight anxiety of bars surrounding him, before his attention was once again grasped by Sombra lifting a hoof.

“Please, hide while you can.” Sombra said, staring ahead at the door while gesturing behind him towards the cell’s bed. “It may be uncomfortable, but you should be small enough to fit. I’ll try and keep attention away, however.”

Sunburst very much wanted to suggest another option, despite a severe lack of them, but was easily cut off as a pair of new voices made their presence known.

“Alright, I can only give you a few minutes. And try not to antagonize him.” Came the first, a strong and commanding voice. Immediately recognizable to Sunburst as Shining Armor, causing him to begin to sweat.

“Aww, come on! At least let me gloat a little!” Came the second, a younger and more chipper voice. Slightly girly, but decidedly masculine. “I mean, I’m the reason he’s locked up down here in the first place. You know, uh, sorta.”

Sunburst began to shake again. Not only was one of his closest friends about to find him illegally fraternizing with a stallion like Sombra, but now so was Spike, one of the only DMs left in Ponyville. Now it wasn’t just his relationship with Flurry Heart on the chopping block were he to get caught, but also the fate of Sunswirl The Warlock.

This was truly a dire situation.

It took Sombra guiding Sunburst to the bed with a hoof to knock him from his engrossed thoughts. Lifting the heavy wooden bedframe with one hoof, Sombra gestured with his other for Sunburst to slide under. Sunburst was given slight pause by the small and dusty space for him to fit under, but followed orders despite his apprehension.

And he tried to not squeak too loudly in fear as Sombra set the bedframe down around him.

Just moments later, a magical resonance rang through the room. Strong, powerful, and protective. Sunburst heard the door to the room open, and the pair of Shining Armor and Spike enter.

“Hiya!” Spike began, quick to swagger up to the bars of the cage with a very cocky grin. He studied the caged Sombra before him for a moment, trying to seem as if a hunter eyeing his fresh catch. As Sombra was still twice the size of the teenage dragon, it wasn’t as effective a sight as Spike may have hoped.

Shining let out a laugh he attempted to hide with a cough, turning his head to the side to instead look at the wall to his right.

But Spike seemed to not notice, the cocky grin still plastered on his face. “I dunno if you remember me. I’m the guy that stopped your evil plans and saved the Crystal Empire.” He extended a claw to Sombra, mockingly offering a shake. “Sorta a big deal.”

Sombra only tilted his head slightly, staring down at Spike much like a predator would stare down his prey.

For just a moment, the wall of bars separating the two seemed much less sturdy to Spike.

“I do remember you.” Sombra said, his voice low and gravely. “You’re the little dragon who just nearly missed being impaled by my horn.” He drew his hoof up briefly, idly stroking the stump where his horn used to be, before he leaned down to get eye-level with Spike. “That may be gone now, but I’m sure we could find another way to reenact that moment. If you’d like.”

Sombra’s eyes flared, glowing slightly as a near-unnoticeable flare of his magic coated the room. Spike was the first to retreat, despite all of his bravado in approaching Sombra, hiding behind a shield of Shining Armor. Shining himself faltered, but quickly shook away any thoughts of turning back. Protecting Spike was his priority, so he stood strong regardless.

Sunburst flinched. Despite not being the target of Sombra’s ire, it still affected him regardless. He drew in a sharp breath of air, forcing down the loud yelp that built in his chest.

In turn, he breathed in quite a few of the dust bunnies that lived under Sombra’s bed. And despite how much he fought it back by shaking his head or covering his nose…

Sunburst sneezed.

Now the whole room flinched, including Sunburst himself.

“What,” Shining Armor growled, storming up to a moderately surprised Sombra, “was that?”

For the first time in quite some time, Sombra was momentarily stood speechless. He stared down at Shining Armor for a few moments, tilting his head as he considered how to respond.

“Oh, it must just be the rats. I’ve taken to raising the few that scurry around down here. Most as friends, but they are also full of nutrients.” He explained simply, a villainous smirk slowly growing across his face. “In fact, I may still be a bit peckish. Perhaps both of you would like to stay for a snack?”

Shining Armor quickly turned green at the thought, taking a large step back away from Sombra. “No, I think we’re alright.”

“I, uh, think I’m late for a lunch date with Thorax anyway.” Spike squeaked, then tugged on Shining’s tail. “We should go.”

Shining quickly found himself nodding in agreement. With a hoof, he gestured towards the door behind them. “Go wait outside. I’ll be out in a minute.” As he said this, his steely gaze continued to hold on Sombra’s face.

Spike didn’t need to be told twice, scrambling out the heavy oak doors to safety as quickly as possible.

With Spike now a safe distance away, Shining’s gaze still held. He studied the Sombra, trying to read every inch of the stallion’s expression. Slowly his gaze strayed, looking down towards the floor in front of Sombra. There, he spied a tray and bowl that had come directly from his kitchen, the bowl still full with some remnant of tomato soup.

Shining squinted, gesturing towards the bowl. “And where’d you get this? Finally given up on your gruel addiction?”

Sombra looked down at where Shining gestured to with a feigned detached disinterest. “I’m told the orange unicorn from before requested it for me. Whether as an apology or an olive branch, I’m not sure.”

Shining continued to stare down at the tray for a few more moments, after which he drew closer to the cage. Reaching in through the bars, he took the dishware from Sombra. “Well, I’m glad you’re finally eating something healthy.”

With that, Shining took his leave.

Sombra waited a good thirty seconds, letting the hoofsteps fade to silence, before turning back to the bed and releasing Sunburst from his dusty prison.

Sunburst quickly scrambled out, coughing and sputtering as he did so.

Nonplused, Sombra shook his head. “You nearly gave your position away.” He sighed, his tone teasing as he looked upon the struggling stallion.

“It’s not my fault your bed is so dusty!” Sunburst exclaimed, still sputtering some as he did. “I swear, it’s like you’ve never slept in the thing.” As if to demonstrate, he scraped a hoof along the sheets, uprooting what seemed like weeks of dust buildup.

Sombra pursed his lips, looking far away from the bed as a light blush crossed his face. “Well, you wouldn’t be entirely wrong.” He grumbled. “I much prefer the ground to that mattress, and even then it’s much too cold to sleep peacefully.”

Sunburst found himself nodding in agreement. “Oh absolutely. Even with the Crystal Heart’s protection, the winters here are terrible. Usually I need at least three blankets to even think about sleeping comfortably.” Looking around, he noted the severe lack of blankets in Sombra’s cage. A frown fell over his expression. “I, uh- I know a few spells, and have quite the library of bedding. I’ll try and bring a few down next time.”

“You seem very confident in there being a next time.” Sombra said with a laugh. “Even when this unplanned visit nearly went so poorly.”

“It actually went better than I expected.” Sunburst admitted with a shrug. “Though, uh, maybe I should tell Shining next time I’d like to visit just in case. I mean, as you said, the olive branch has been extended.”

“And tentatively accepted.” Sombra sighed. “But perhaps now you should make your leave. Before anyone wonders where you’ve gone.”

Without waiting for a response from Sunburst, Sombra once again returned to shadow and took Sunburst against him, drawing him in and carrying him back to his side of the cage. Once finished, returning to his solid form, Sombra stumbled and wavered with exhaustion.

Sunburst looked on with concern, reaching through the cage’s bars with a hoof. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, I’m fine.” Sombra soothed, shaking his head and with it the tiredness that had begun to form. “Umbrum magic is… hard on its user. No longer am I used to it, but I’ll recover with rest.”

“I’ll let you rest then. I hope you’ll feel better soon.” Sunburst said. But he hesitated before leaving, closing his eyes briefly to steady himself before speaking again. “I just… I have one question before I go.”

Sombra smiled tiredly at his persistent friend. “Please, ask away.”

“Why do you find it so hard to look at me?” Sunburst asked after another moment of pause. “Does it have to do with what you said when we first met?”

Sombra let out a small laugh at that, just a brief exhale through his nose, but shook his head just the same. Looking Sunburst in the eyes, basking in their bright blue color for just a moment. “I don’t believe I’m prepared to answer that one, I’m afraid.” He said, then laid himself down on the cold ground. He rested his head on crossed hooves, breathing out a gentle sigh. “Perhaps another time. For now, I bid you farewell. Have a good night, Sunburst.”

Sunburst set his jaw, but nodded all the same. “Yes, of course. Rest well, Sombra.”