• Published 31st Oct 2022
  • 1,182 Views, 26 Comments

When I Look At You - Meteor_Mirage



Called to The Crystal Empire, Sunburst is tasked with interviewing their newest arrival: Ex-King Sombra. As he tries to find out why the enigmatic villain has returned, he finds there's more to the stallion than meets the eye.

  • ...
6
 26
 1,182

~~A Memory in Paradise~~

A gentle snow fell on The Crystal Empire. A strong winter brought itself to the nation of the Frozen North, and brought with it a veritable blanket of frost to cover it. The chill it brought in alongside spread through the streets quickly, allowing the crystalline populace to finally be able to wear their warmest clothing to combat the cold.

And no place in the kingdom was colder than the castle in the center of the Empire.

As The Prince walked the halls of his castle, he drew his cloak tightly across his large body, cursing the cold as it still stung him through his thick, ebony fur. And yet, he maintained a pleasant grin as he passed the guards under his command, greeting them as warmly as he could before sauntering off at a quicker pace.

It was hard for The Prince to not be in a good mood, considering where he was going.

Maneuvering through his castle, it didn’t take long for The Prince to find his destination. Rounding the corner with a spring in his stride, he turned into the castle’s library.

He stalked down the aisles of books for a few moments, regarding his vast collection with pride, all the while keeping his ruby eyes trained on the stallion sitting at a desk near the library’s center.

The Prince had found his prey, and it was time to hunt.

The Scholar at the desk paid him no mind, his face too buried in one of the many books that he had piled upon the desk before him. He hummed gently to himself, his horn lighting with an icy blue magic as he took notes in the notebook he somehow managed to fit on the desk. Every now and then, usually after a bout of feverish writing, he would lift a hoof to push his glasses back up his muzzle.

It was during one of these exact moments that The Prince decided to creep up behind him. Holding low to the ground, the large stallion took slow, silent steps as he stalked up to The Scholar. He took his time, drawing the hunt out perhaps more than he should have, stalking the reading stallion all the way up to being just behind him.

The Scholar shivered slightly, the pale green fur on the back of his neck standing up to the feeling of hot breath against it. But he paid it no mind, using one hoof to rub the offending spot on his neck while the other traced words of Old Ponish in the text he was enraptured in.

The Prince rolled his eyes. He waited for a few moments, holding out for the chance that his prey would notice his predator.

But it was no matter. The Scholar was already back to feverishly taking notes and moving onto the next book to look over.

It was only when The Prince cleared his throat that The Scholar noticed the presence behind him. He frightenedly jumped from his seat in an instant, kicking his chair away as he launched himself across the table and knocking over several of the book piles he had made.

The Prince quickly rushed to check on his friend, stepping around the table and offering up a hoof to help him out of the pile of various books he was now under. A bashful smile played across his face, clearly both proud of himself and apologetic all the same.

The Scholar looked up, face screwed with anger due to being torn from his studies all too suddenly, as well as the pain of books poking into his spine. And yet, upon seeing The Prince, the anger softened to a mildly annoyed grin, and even that began to quickly turn into a gentle beam.

With a laugh, The Scholar took The Prince’s hoof.