• Published 9th Oct 2022
  • 681 Views, 20 Comments

Rekindled Embers: Mercury's Journal - applezombi



A sheltered pony writes a journal on a voyage across an ocean, a city, a desert, and across ideologies.

  • ...
8
 20
 681

Loose

Mercury’s Journal, First Mission, Day 13

It seems silly to begin a journal on the thirteenth day of the most important voyage of my life so far. But given everything else, I felt the need to gather my thoughts and make sense of the trials and vicissitudes of my life.

Do you like that, Father? Vicissitudes. And you used to complain I never paid attention to my writing tutor. Not that you’ll ever read this anyways. I’ll probably burn it once the Two Blushing Brides reaches Jubilation. I remember when I first heard the name of the pirate ship. It seemed so odd. I think I understand a little better now.

I was so excited when we set out from Port Luminescence. It wasn’t a storied departure; for Saint Rarity’s sake, Saint Twilight’s Bookmark was just a transport vessel, moving personal effects from some noble Knight’s country estate to his new assignment in the Free Zebra Republic. But coin was coin, and Saint Twilight’s Bookmark was well paid. Also, they were hauling me, a freshly minted Knight Radiant ready to serve Saint Rarity’s glory and bring the generosity of her healing magic to the Diarchy soldiers fighting on the zebra war front.

Is it possible to decry how naive I was, even two weeks ago? Or does that make me even more naive? I suppose I still don’t know what to expect. Though at least I am resonably certain the pirates will keep their word and take me safely to Jubilation.

The attack came out of nowhere. Listening to the zebra pirates on board, I get the impression that Saint Twilight’s Bookmark’s captain wasn’t that competent. Maybe if he had been, he would have been doing more than shipping work for wealthy idiots. (I can say idiots here. It’s a private journal, and like I wrote already, I’ll probably burn this).

The pirate ship came out of the sun on the second day of our voyage. They literally were upon us with the rays of morning light, and we didn’t see the white sails and white-painted hull until it was nearly too late to turn and run.

Our own cannons were useless; the captain didn’t want to sacrifice our speed by turning to our broadside. And the zebra ship was faster than us anyways.

“Cut your sails and drop your weapons.” I remember the voice. A mare. Commanding, but not cruel. And empowered by rune magic. I remember feeling the chill of terror. Zebras weren’t supposed to have rune magic. It was the holy gift from Saint Twilight and her fellow Saints to us Knights.

Our captain tried to fight. I did, too. I grabbed my spear and readied my own rune gauntlet. I said prayers. I made sure my white armor (complete with the triple diamond of Saint Rarity’s cutie mark) fit perfectly. Fresh, pristine, and brand new. Never been scratched. I cast shield spells.

The pirate ship didn’t care. I remember pausing with horror when I saw the ship’s figurehead; it was two mares dressed in the armor of the Knights of Saint Rarity, just like my own. And they were kissing, in flagrant disobedience to the Oath of Chastity that we all took in honor of the Eternal Virgin herself.

But I’d been told long before I was assigned to our embassy in the zebra lands that I would see things, hear things, feel things, that would challenge my faith. They tried to prepare me, but even this small heresy filled me with dread.

The transport ship was no match for the pirate’s guns. We had a single cannon on each side, while her ship had five: two on each broadside and a single mounted on a swivel at the prow of her white decks. It took only a single hit on the stern and another breaking the secondary mast before our captain crumpled like a coward and surrendered. I never even got a chance to try out my spear against zebra pirates.

They boarded us, and I admit my jaw was agape. I’d never seen a zebra before, and now here were a dozen swarming over our ship. They were armed with rifles and swords, spears and pistols. But it was their clothing that was most fascinating to me. These were no uniforms but rather a veritable rainbow of bright cloth.

The captain herself was a sight to behold. She was… purple. Most of her soldiers were gray and black, but her stripes were a dark violet, and her mane was a palette of violets and purples and lavenders.

And her clothing! Absolutely scandalous! It was a cream blouse, open to show most of her chest fur, and a ruffled skirt so short I could have seen her cutie mark if she were a pony. She also wore a strange curved sword (later, when I asked her, she called it a khopesh and told me it originated from the northern desert cities of the Republic) in a sheath at her side and carried a rifle in one hoof.

On another hoof was a Diarchy rune gauntlet. Proof of her theft and heresy.

“I am Captain Purple Yukie of the Two Blushing Brides, privateer of the Free Zebrica Republic. Your ship, and its cargo, are mine. Stay calm, and you shall be unharmed. I may even return your ship to you. Fight me, and I shall make no guarantees.”

Our captain blubbered something, and I hated him a little. Not for what he said; I don’t remember the words. But because of the cowardice in his voice. I could tell Captain Yukie didn’t think much of him either.

“Your sailors will begin moving your cargo onto my ship. We shall leave you enough foodstuffs to make it back to your port, but everything non-perishable is ours. Please…”

And that was the first time she noticed me. There was something in Yukie’s eyes, something in the way they widened as she looked at me, that made me both frightened and very excited. There was adventure in her eyes. And curiosity. She nodded my way.

“And we’ll be taking the Knight, too. As a hostage. It’ll make things a lot easier if we run into any more Diarchy ships.”

Our captain made a token protest, but I knew he’d crumble.

“This is non-negotiable. The Radiant comes with us, or we’ll keel-haul you.”

The worm had the gall to try and apologize to me. I ignored him.

“I’m not going anywhere,” I said, “until I’ve seen to the wounds of the ponies your cannons hurt.”

It was a limp protest on my part, but I met Captain Yukie’s eyes and kept my own gaze firm. Even if my legs were shaking. Some Knight I am. Finally, the Captain nodded and allowed me to go among the crew, casting healing runes while the pirates hauled our cargo back on board their ship over a rickety gangplank. I remember praying that they’d fall over the side and drown. No zebra did.

When I was done healing, Captain Yukie approached me with the stern look of a mare who was used to getting her way. I noticed with a little shock that she wasn’t much older than I was, maybe only in her mid-twenties.

“What’s your name, Radiant?” she asked.

Mercury Shine, Private, Knights Radiant.”

Back at the Ivy Seminary in New Canterlot City, we’d been taught that if we were captured, we only give our name and our rank.

“Very well, Lady Mercury,” Captain Yukie said. “I’ve let you heal your comrades. Will you play nice now? I promise I won’t harm you if you are peaceful.”

She held out a hoof for my spear.

For a moment, I considered it. Maybe if I’d been an Adamant, one of Saint Rainbow’s faithful, I might have tried to fight. I am fairly adept with my spear. But something told me not to. Maybe it was the silent request in Captain Yukie’s eyes.

Please, it said. I don’t want to hurt you.

I handed her my spear.

That was three days ago. Right now, I’m too tired to write more, journal. Maybe I’ll pick this up again in the morning.

Day 15

I realize I missed a day. But life on board the Two Blushing Brides is busy. From the very beginning, Captain Yukie gave me a choice.

“There are no idle hooves on my ship. But you’re a special case because you’re a hostage, Lady Mercury.”

She’s always respectful, using my title. Not all of the zebras are. But I’ve seen the captain round on any of her sailors that disrespect me. I don’t understand it.

“So I’m going to give you a choice. You can have free reign of my ship, everywhere except the armory, which is guarded. I will even allow you your rune gauntlet, on your word that you’ll use it to heal and help, not harm. But you will be assigned duties, and you will work hard, just like the rest of us. Or I can lock you in a cell in the brig. You pick.”

Obviously, I chose to work. Who wants to be locked in a cell? And maybe, by my words, I could try to bring the light of the Saints to these heathens.

That’s all I have time for tonight, journal. My hooves ache. I spent all day learning new duties. The sailors here make good use of my magically enhanced Knight strength. Over the last five days, I’ve been hauling crates of food to the galley, learning to coil rope, and a dozen other things . Every day I feel like I’m going to work myself to death, and these zebra sailors, who don’t have the blessings I do, are still outpacing me.

They say I’ll learn eventually. Hopefully I won’t be on board long enough to prove them right.

Day 16

I argued with Captain Yukie today. And perhaps learned something.

I was angry. It started with a snide little comment she’d made about me fitting in. And, of course, I reminded her that I was a prisoner here, not a guest or a passenger.

“You’re doing this just to corrupt me: I know it. I saw how you looked at me when you forced me to come on board.”

I was sure it was sinful lust I saw in her eyes. Not only is she one of those creatures that violate the Saints’ will by seeking after their own sex, but she also doesn’t realize that interspecies relationships are sinful.

“I have no idea what you think you mean,” she shot back coldly.

“You lust after me,” I said, with all the confidence of youth.

And she laughed at me.

“You’re cute, Lady Mercury. But no. Not even a little,” she snorted.

So we argued. I was sure that this was all some plot to convince me to violate my oaths and commit three sins at once. But she only laughed at every argument I made.

“Please, Lady Mercury. Nobody on my ship will touch you as long as you’re a prisoner here. And after that? Only if you ask first. And you’d have to ask nicely. And before you even think of it, my answer is no. I have a pair of flowers of my own, and when I get a chance, I’m going to steal them back.”

She didn’t tell me what she meant by that and simply bounced off, tail swinging as she laughed.

Saints Above, there was a part of me that burned a little.

Not that I wanted to sin! But even being rejected like-

Here, the rest of the entry is blotted out by a series of violent ink scribbles.

Day 20

I’ve spent the last three days trying to find subtle ways to ask the sailors about what Captain Yukie had said.

I’m not that good at being subtle.

Most of them just scowl at me and walk away. A few laugh. The ship’s cook scolded me for pestering him about what he called ‘silly girlish romance problems’ and promptly instructed me to keep my ‘fuzzy Knight butt out of the Captain’s business.’

I’ve noticed that they care a great deal for her.

Finally, I worked up the nerve to ask the Captain herself. She’s started having me to dinner every night. I think she’s lonely. At least, that’s the sense I get when I look at her.

We were eating in her quarters, alongside her first mate, when I said it all in a rush.

“So who are the mares on the figurehead? The heretical ones.”

I didn’t want to say more. The idea of two mares kissing, let alone Radiants… it was unthinkable. Mostly because when I thought about it a little too hard, my mind would fill the spots of one of the mares with

There is another scribbled-out section.

“I call them my flowers,” Captain Yukie said with a little smile. “My true loves. And one day, I’ll sail right into Equestria and steal them.”

“But… why?”

I regret that my verbal eloquence failed me at that moment.

“Because pirates steal treasure,” Captain Yukie grinned, thumping one hoof on the floor beneath her, to where I knew there was artwork, antique furniture, and other stolen sundries in her hold. “And beautiful mares are the greatest treasure of all.”

I was starting to get used to the Captain’s theatricality, but the first mate laughed in his amusement, and even I stared incredulously at her.

“But… it’s illegal. And sinful.”

Yes, again, thank you verbal eloquence. Such grace under pressure. If anypony else were going to read this, I’d probably lie to make myself not sound like an utter moron.

“Because,” Captain Yukie said, with a twinkle in her eye. “Love is worth it. And somewhere out there are two of your Knight sisters who decided that love was more important than your Saints’ rules. They decided it was more beautiful, perfect, and right than any oath to a group of ponies who died centuries ago.”

The captain smirked. “Your Saint Rarity has been dead a thousand years. And I honestly doubt she had any problem with some of the things you say she did. But what do I know,? I’m just a heathen zebra pirate.”

“Who are they?” I asked casually.

And the captain’s eyes hardened. “So you can try to track them down and have them executed for breaking the law? No. This conversation is over.”

For some reason, journal, I don’t think I’ll be getting an invite back to the Captain’s table.

Why is there a part of me that feels empty about that?

Day 25
There is a part of me that wanted to push today off. To pretend it was never going to come. I tried. Is it sinful that I even prayed to the Saints to push it back?

But we have arrived. Jubilation spreads out before my eyes. I’m writing as I watch it grow closer. I’m excited, yes. I wonder if Knight Command is worried about me. If they’ve even heard I was a hostage and passed that information on to the commander here. Oh well. The Diarchy embassy in Jubilation isn’t far; it’s where I am assigned anyway.

It’s probably best if I put the unconventional nature of my transportation to Zebrica behind me and focus on what I came here to do; to shine the light of Saint Rarity’s healing magic on everybody here. And maybe change a few minds along the way. Obviously conversion isn’t my first goal, but it seems a worthy one anyways.

Only less so now. I don’t want to think too hard about why.

“We’ll miss you on board,” Captain Yukie told me this morning. “Having a Knight along for the heavy lifting is nice.” And then she smirked. “And you are cute to look at.”

It’s been the first time she’s come close to any sort of flirting. And for some reason, I didn’t protest.

Saints, why didn’t I protest?

Even if I could, she

Blotted-out scribbles mar the page.

Oh well. Time to stop writing and disembark. Journal, I promise I’ll write more as soon as I get to the embassy and get settled in.

I wish it didn’t feel like the best part of my journey was over. What kind of insane mare am I? I suppose my parents wouldn’t be surprised. Mother always said I was a tomboy. And adventure was why I joined the Radiant (plus the Oath of Chastity, which guaranteed that Mother won’t be pressing me to churn out litters of screaming brats for her to spoil; leave that to my brothers, please.)

If only somepony could explain to me: why is it that all I feel is regret?