• Published 3rd Oct 2022
  • 2,249 Views, 269 Comments

Forgotten Bygones - Catpaw616



Starlight, Trixie, and Discord are treated like enemies again, but how? And why?

  • ...
9
 269
 2,249

Chapter 13: Washed Away

Starlight panted as she set down Twilight on the leafy, wet ground, far away from the mudslide. They were underneath the shady trees, so the rain wouldn't continue to downfall on them as much. Or at least that was what Starlight had hoped for.

Starlight leaned over and checked her heart. She was breathing, thankfully, but she wondered what had happened to her while she was underneath the mudslide. She hoped that she didn't inhale a lot of dirt. Or maybe that was what she assumed. Starlight hoped that she just hit her head on a rock and nothing else.

She also noticed that Twilight has gained new scratches now. But Starlight was thankful that none of them were deep, just bruises from the fight. And speaking of deep scratches, Starlight turned and assessed her deep scratch that started on her hind leg and extended to her cutie mark. Since she didn't want to have a permanent scar on her, she powered up a spell and she casted it onto her injury. After a few minutes, the scratch slowly started to heal. Then eventually, she could no longer feel the pain, and her hind leg was as good as new.

Why didn't I do that before? Starlight rolled her eyes at herself. Maybe if she did, she would've had more agility when she was fighting Twilight. But somehow, she missed all of her attacks, except for the sudden tackles that she loved to do.

She looked at her unconscious friend once more, and she couldn't help but pity. It is hard to think that the real Twilight was trapped inside herself, forced to watch her trance do all the work, and to listen and see how much her words had affected Starlight, and her reformed friends. But she was grateful that Starlight had freed her from that. Or, at least, she hoped she did.

RUMBLE

Starlight was startled by the sudden sound of thunder, and it wasn't safe to be out in a thunderstorm, and since Starlight was exhausted from the fight, she didn't have enough energy to teleport them back home.

Starlight sighed as she looked around. She might as well find a suitable shelter for the night. She scanned the rainy, windy forest, until she saw something stony in the distance. Starlight, while not leaving Twilight behind for long, she had encountered the cave. She used her horn as a torch and scanned the cave. Thankfully, this cave wasn't that very deep, and no dangerous creatures resided there.

Deciding that this was the right shelter, Starlight had returned to Twilight, who still wasn't moving. Since she didn't want to carry a full-grown body all the way there, she levitated the alicorn and landed her body gently on her back, and carried on like that until they reached the caves.

Starlight set her body down gently, and making sure that no creature was around, Starlight got to the ground and just watched the pitter patter of the rain hitting the leaves of the trees, and the shrubs that were nearby, while yawning.

After what seemed like to go on for hours, Starlight realized that she needed to go to sleep. She looked at her friend who was beside her. Maybe she'll wake up in the morning.

But as she was about to lower her head and close her eyes, she could catch a glimpse of Twilight slowly opened her eyes.

Starlight raised her head immediately. "Twilight?"

Twilight blinked her eyes slowly, before turning her head to Starlight with a tired look. "Starlight? Is that you?"

"Y...yes." Starlight hesitated a little bit before she immediately got to her feet and padded closer to her, assessing her closely. "Are you alright?"

"How am I not?" Twilight said to her happily, while raising her voice, to which startled Starlight. "Its good to be back!"

"But are you ok?" Starlight asked her again, while being deeply relieved.

"Just my head hurts." Twilight smiled a little while she was rubbing her head. "And... feeling the pain on my wing."

She then lifted up the wing she was talking about. It was the one Starlight had left the little burn mark on.

"Twilight, I'm so sorry." Starlight lowered her ears. "I didn't mean too-"

But Twilight's face grew dim. "Why are you apologizing to me? Its clearly me that should be sorry to you, Trixie, and Discord."

"You were under a spell though." Starlight pointed out.

Twilight tilted her head. "Which one?"

"Goodness Forgetness." Starlight told her. "Apparently, someone cast the spell, and you were affected by it."

"Goodness... Forgetness..." Twilight repeated her words more slowly while staring at the rain. Her pupils got small, and her ears lowered.

"Yes...?" Starlight said, weirded out by Twilight's reaction.

But Twilight had shooked her head. "And how is this caused?"

"By casting a spell on accident." she told her. "How it does, we don't know."

"I've heard of Goodness Forgetness, somewhat, but I never thought it would still work." Twilight said as she put a hoof underneath her chin. "That's ancient magic..."

"You've mean its been around for a long time?" Starlight was now getting interested, and a little intrigued by the spell. She did want to know everything about the spell while she can, so she could report it to the rest of the group.

Twilight nodded. "A long time."

"Hm." Starlight pondered. She lowered her head, staring at the ground. "That spell put a toll on us, as you know."

"Oh, I know." Twilight said grimly. "I was there."

She lowered her head too, similar to Starlight's. "Been there from the beginning." she muttered.

"What?" Starlight quickly raised her head. "What did you say?"

Suddenly, loud thundering was heard from above, which startled Starlight and Twilight. After the thunder had calmed, Twilight looked at Starlight with sadness, and Starlight looked at her back with the same emotion.

"Twilight?"

But she just raised her hoof. "That's enough questions for one day." Twilight told her. "Its about time we get some sleep."

Twilight got up from her position, and walked towards the end of the cave, facing away Starlight. "Good night." she said to her.

Starlight twitched her ears. She felt bad that Twilight felt guilty for her actions. Starlight felt the same way not so long ago. But hopefully, she'll make her believe that none of this was really her fault, and hopefully would ease away the guilt, similar to how Twilight had helped her.

"Good night." Starlight called out to her. She looked at the cloudy night sky one last time, before lowering her head, and closing her eyes as she listened to the pitter patter of the rain.