• Published 1st Oct 2022
  • 326 Views, 6 Comments

Guardians of the beyond VOL I - Red24



The Child of Midnight Sparkles travels and goes Adventures through the multiverse, though he bumps into a pony that will change his life ….

  • ...
 6
 326

Book II Chapter I “The School Year”

Author's Note:

Book two begins! This is a more slice of life book but very important for character development.

A week had past and the two had bonded in a mutual friendship.
Eclipse needed accommodation only truly knowing Winter Sea, he wonders if maybe he could stay there at the school dorms. His parents were alright about it but he needed to ask her, it had been a few days and Winter was feeling better since the incident. It also seemed she had forgiven him.

Winter was back to helping the animals at the sanctuary. Eclipse helped too to stay on her good side. He was looking after the rabbits and feeding them since he was particularly drawn to them. Nullah unsurprisingly was very friendly with the snakes and other reptiles.

“Winter I’m almost done," Eclipse reported, the rabbits having taken a liking to him too and wouldn't let him get up from the cuddle pile.

“Great! Once you’re finished we can check on the others,” she smiled, treating one of the birds, “now stay off that wing this time okay?”

The bird tweeted in agreement, Eclipse was enjoying this, it was good seeing things better. He went over to Winter after excusing himself from the bunny cuddle pile. One of them burped with another looking at it disapprovingly, Eclipse smiled and chuckled then went over to Winter.

“So... I was wondering about something..." he started, fiddling with the carrot stems, "Since the school year is starting up in a couple of days, I need a place to stay and...”

“You need a place to crash?… Well, I know the school has dorms, we can apply for one for you!” She offered him.

“Oh cool, how do you apply?" Eclipse asks excitedly, before calming down still a little nervous, "hehe... Sorry, I’ve never done anything like this before as you can understand, maybe you can help guide me in this world?..” he smiles and blushes slightly.

“Sure, why not?” Winter replies happily, glad to help a friend. After finishing their chores they headed to the school to file for a dorm. Knowing her way around, Winter led him through the halls of the school. Eclipse often paused to look into classrooms and the architecture of the building. All of this being so new to him, he was both excited and anxious to start coming here as a student. The two approached the principles office, Winter stopped, feeling slightly uneasy about entering.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, seeing her nervousness not knowing who the Principal was.

“This might be a bit awkward...” she explains, knocking on the door.

“Come in!” A familiar voice calls. Eclipse raised an eyebrow. They opened the door and entered to see... sitting at a desk... STARLIGHT GLIMMER!

Eclipse instinctively backed up a little, right into a pedestal that was holding a head statue of Councilor Trixxie. Nullah was quick to catch it before it fell. He tried putting it back where it belonged but the horn broke off. So he quickly pulled out an ice cream cone, consumed the ice cream, and placed the cone over the broken horn.
“What? how did she!!...” Then he remembered that it was a different version, but he still felt super uncomfortable “oh right.....”

It felt so odd hearing and seeing such a familiar mare who not so long ago captured them, brainwashed Winter, and nearly stole his cutie mark which could've possibly resulted in the end of the universe.
“Just remember she’s a different pony,” Eclipse whispered to himself quietly. Winter in particular felt weird considering she got the full brunt of the other Starlights manipulation, they both sat down.

“Welcome!” She says brightly, having talked to Phyllis. “I’m Headmare Starlight! Welcome to the school of friendship!”

“Hey Starlight, it’s me Winter?” The blue Pegasus says nervously coming in.

“Oh yes! Fluttershy’s right hoof pony at the sanctuary! She’s spoken much about you,” Starlight replies looking between them, “and you must be Eclipse!”

“Why did she have to say welcome…” he says in his head and gives a smile trying to not be awkward, he also puts a reassuring hoof on Winter's back knowing how it felt. “Yes, I am” Eclipse coughs, “I’m joining the school and was hoping to get accommodation here”

Starlight smiles, pulling up his file, “off course! I’m so glad you’re joining us here at the school! Let's see... Eclipse Variant Order, attended Diputs Academy with high honors. Parents are Accord Order and Early Byrd Order,” she reads off, "As long as you pay the yearly fee we can find you a room,"

“Thank you! And I was hoping for one as well so that I’m much closer,” Winter adds. Eclipse couldn't help but snicker hearing what Starlight read. His parents had come prior, in disguise, of course, to enroll him.

“Of course! I’m sure we can find a room for you too!” Starlight beams and used her magic to pull up a list of the dorms and their residents. “Let’s see...alright! There are rooms but you have to share them with someone,”

“Well, I guess that’s okay... I mean I’ve never had a roommate before! Well, other than Nullah,” Eclipse mentions, helping the boop onto the desk. Nullah looks at him as if to say, “yeah don’t you dare forget me I am literally a god!”

“So who will I stay with!” He says enthusiastically, Starlight taking a moment to gaze in awe at the little boop before looking back to Eclipse.

“Hmm, well they’re a griffin! His name is Notus, and you’ll be starting your first year here together!” She read the file.

“Well ok we can do without the shade Nullah.” he thinks to the boop, Nullah was now magically wearing SHADES. “A griffin? Awesome!”

Starlight hummed then looked at the list again, “and Winter... will be staying with Kirin named Estelle,”

“A Kirin? That’s cool!” Winter smiled as they took their room keys.

“You’ll meet them on the first day and you’ll also be getting your schedules then too!” Starlight explains, then glanced at Nullah, “And one more thing, I’m afraid unless they’re a service animal we don’t allow pets,”

Nullah looks at Starlight with an annoyed expression as he pulled his shades down, even if he couldn't glare. Eclipse understood but knew Nalluh might not have liked this

“oh...well is it possible to make an exception? Nullah and I have been close for a while so it might be hard for him to be away from me.” Eclipse asks, trying to convince her before Nullah grew to a gigantic size and hisses. Crushing the desk and knocking over Phyliss which Starlight caught and hugged as she looked at the massive snake.

“Oh my-“ Starlight gulped.

“Nullah! No!” Winter scolded, then came up with an idea. “What if he just stayed in the dorm room?”

Starlight then whimpers, leaning back more as the Nullah leaned closer.

“I...suppose it’s okay...as long as you take full responsibility for it,”
Nullah shrunk down to normal size again, a happy boop with a wagging tail.

“YES!! Don’t worry I promise I’ll take full responsibility! Well... he's smart enough to not get into trouble!” Eclipse assured, as Nalluh went into his arms and smiled, promptly putting down a bag of bits to pay for their dorms.

“Alright then!.. I’ll see you two in a week!” She stamped the official papers and had them signed before they left. While she took the bits to count them, Starlight looked confused seeing the coins engraved with Nullah's face on them. 'Boop bits' around the rims. Confused she fiddled with it only to realize it was a chocolate bit covered with gold tin foil. The rest of the day Starlight spent splinting the mix of real bits and chocolate bits.

“I better head back to my place and pack ahead,” Winter said as they walked out.

“I’ll do the same! Thanks so much for the help!” He said, prancing with her excitedly, “I've seen so many realities, but this one is interesting because it’s the, 'what if everything turned out alright dimension!' Hehe...” he chuckles, looking around the halls again before exiting the school. “Have you been going here awhile?”

“The school? No, I never thought of enrolling, but sometimes I come to help Fluttershy in her class and school events,” Winter replies.

“Cool! Well, it might be a way of finding your special talent who knows!” he smiled, as Nullah extends and boops her nose.

“I suppose! Just..just promise you won’t tell anyone about my family heritage?...” she frowned a little. She didn’t want the added pressure of her family name.

“I promise! It’ll be between us," Eclipse swore in understanding, crossing his hoof over his chest and then holding it in the air. Nullah did the same with his tail while wearing a boy scouts uniform. His sash was already filled with badges. "I don’t want ponies to know mine either, for obvious reasons.”

“Looks like we have ourselves a deal,” she smiled, glad to see how sincere he was. “You do know what to pack right?...”

“I think so! Got stuff at home so I should be good,” he replies, pretending like he was on top of it all.

“Sweet! I’ll just need to pack a few essentials and maybe do a bit of shopping, you're welcome to join me if there are things you're missing?” Winter offers.

Eclipse lit up, this could be his chance to see the town more with Winter and spend more time with her!!! So he happily agreed. The next day Eclipse was with Winter getting their school supplies. The market was lively and fun, with all kinds of creatures running their own errands. He found it enjoyable in its simple way watching everyone go about their daily lives, he was getting along with Winter too which was great!

She introduced him to some friends there as well, mostly Pinkie pie and the CMC. While they shopped he watched her buy what supplies they needed and he did the same, not wanting to pack the wrong thing. Mostly consisting of quills, books, papers, packs of notecards, etc.

He was able to avoid making it look like he was just copying her, they almost lost Nalluh once or twice which almost gave Eclipse a heart attack. Nullah was liking the fairy floss, being completely inside one and popping out again with a little fairy floss wig and mustache. The child who bought the treat screamed seeing the strange creature pop out, Eclipse hurried over to take the fair floss with the boop inside. Nullah paid to get a second, larger one for the child as an apology. It was a fun day, either way, more fun than Eclipse had in an in time.

After buying some cupcakes from Sugar Cube Corner, the three of them watched the sunset at a park. Nullah finished the fairy floss but he kept the wig and mustache.

“There you go! Your pick!" Winter says opening the box of cupcakes to them.

“Thank you!" Eclipse beams, taking a chocolate cupcake while Nullah took a strawberry, "You know... when I've learned more about my powers, I want to travel every dimension there is!” he declared, looking at the sky and eating the cupcake, “just to see the lore of every reality! You can look for infinity and I’ll help you find your talent! I promise!”

“And I’ll help you to achieve that dream of yours! Explore every reality possible! That is...if I can come with you?...” She asked sheepishly, “I want to see these other worlds too!! What they're like and the inhabitants!”

“I’d love for you to come with us!” he puts a hoof around her, “ I think you’d love even the beauty of the multiverse, it can be scary... but worth it!”

“So now we’re like... traveling partners in a way?!” Winter asked excitedly.

“Yes! Honestly, traveling is always more fun with sompony by your side,” he replies, not realizing he was feeling a little more being around her

“Ohh!! That sounds awesome! Okay, we need some kind of name to call ourselves, like if we were in our own club!!”

“Hehe ah yes we can” he finds the idea so quaint and fun, this pony was so enthusiastic. “the two travelers! Hmmm no too generic or maybe....” he thinks

“Double trouble? Ehhh... I’m not as troublesome as you,” she teased.

He looked at her and chuckled, well she wasn’t wrong, “The Equines of Epicness?”

She just gave him a confused expression. “I don’t think so,”

“Oh, maybe something related to harmony?” Eclipse thinks.

“You’re not exactly in harmony yourself, son of Discord and chaos~” she teased again.

“I'm just thinking of themes related to your world hehe... maybe the purple and the blue one?” he jokes winking.

Winter rolled her eyes. Thinking about their future adventures! They would get to travel so far away, and maybe save a few since his parents didn’t want him to throw off the world's balance.

“Good point!” He says to her, forget if for a moment she didn’t know he could sense her thoughts a little

They could protect other creatures and themselves as they explored. “Guardians...” she trailed off.

“Guardians of.....Adventure?..... No no maybe......of Harmony!” He said

“Protect and keep order like my mother wants”

“Guardians of the beyond...beyond other dimensions through space and time, chaos and harmony,”

“Love it!” he says excitedly and hoof bumps her, he knew this was the start of something great!

“We are the Guardians of the Beyond!!” She declared shooting up and striking a pose. He struck a pose as well with her! Much like superheroes in comic books.

~~~

The next day, he was all packed up and Eclipse was moving in, there were creatures everywhere in the school. Eclipse has been used to seeing all types of life and found it pretty normal. He was overwhelmed by the number of creatures everywhere.
“Now remember Nullah, be on your best behavior, we got to do this right! I’m not screwing up again!” he whispers to the Rainbow Snake who just gave him a reassurance boop. Nullah agreed and adjusted their fake glasses and backpack filled with Tim Tams.

There was a big puff of smoke at the front of the hall as a blue unicorn appeared, wearing a light purple uniform with stars. Silvery white hair hanging over her side. “Greetings students!! Welcome to the school of friendship!!” She announced, her magic shot little fireworks that formed the school's crest making everyone cheer.

“Bit excessive but ok” he chuckles to himself. The blue Unicorn seemed to like to put on a show “I am The Great, and POWERFUL TRIXIE!!!!!!! .........but you can just call me Miss Trixie,” she said not so humbly, though trying to sound it. “This will be a great year as we have more bright young students from all over the world!” She continues.

“Only in this world,” Eclipse chuckles to himself again.

Winter was searching the crowd till she found him and bumped his shoulder, “oh hush,” she chuckled with him before facing ahead.

“I am also your student councilor! If you have any issues, worries, troubles, friendship quarrels, hot tea gossip, or other drama I’ll be there to listen with hot chocolate, and blankets, and offer only the greatest of advice!!” Trixie teased, taking a sip from a mug that read ‘great and powerful councilor,’ making some students laugh. “Now, follow me and we shall hand out all your schedules, then you can head to the dorms to settle in and meet your roommates!” She said enthusiastically, leading everyone to the tables.

“You nervous for your first day?” Winter asked walking with Eclipse.

“Well, yeah! I mean it’s a whole new Environment! But hey, I'm not in danger. I just want to make things right!” He said as they walked to get the schedule, being passed out by Silverstream and Smolder. Eclipse looked like a unicorn at that moment though Winter could have sworn he had wings when he walked into the building 20 minutes ago.

“If you choose to be an Alicorn, everyone will suspect you.” She points out. It felt weird having a single horn instead of his two.

“Yeah but alicorns are like the coolest type of pony!” He thought but understood why…

But he would work with it. After getting their schedules, they went to their assigned dorms. Eclipse and Nullah went to theirs and saw it was already opened and heard a metal crash.

“OH FOR SCORPENS SAKE!” Someone yelled in frustration. Eclipse peeked in, seeing his griffin roommate trying to hang up different armors on one side of the room with others still on the floor and in trunk chests. Eclipse looked impressed at the armor, liking the look of the Griffin and his historical collection. Nullah slithered in and went right up to the remaining armor and with glowing eyes, made it all hang properly. The griffin took a step back in surprise Eclipse giggled as he watched the boop at work. Even applying some polish to give them an extra shine.

“Oh, uh, thanks? You’re my roommate I’m guessing?” He asked seeing Eclipse at the doorway, making sure all the armor was perfectly put up. Then he looked down at Nullah, crossing his arms with a little smirk, “not bad snake,”

Eclipse walked in smiling “that’s the least he can do trust me” Nullah slithers up the griffin's nose and boops it. “That’s Nalluh he’s a spirit who...actually, never mind! He’s a snake! Yeah, just your ordinary Loly-coloured snake, hehe” He quickly corrects. Hoping he wasn’t too suspicious already.

“Okay, I’ll need to go through my books on reptiles again…that aside my name’s Notus, pleasure to meet you,” he held his claw out. In turn, Eclipse held his hoof out for him to shake.

“I’m Eclipse, Pumbarra Oomba, good day!” He greets in the native language of the people Nullah comes from and shook his claw. “I’m very new to this and you seem a creature of class. That’s some great genuine 4th-era armor, is it not?”

“Not all of them, I have some older ones back at home but my parents wouldn’t let me take it all,” Notus chuckled, flying over and taking off one of the helmets, “this was a genuine relic I found in a battlefield during the Great War to decide the first king,”

“That’s amazing! Well, certainly some great stuff,” Eclipse awed, placing his things on his bed and settled. Notus had a feeling this new unicorn was nice but there was something different.
“So… you from a far distance? I mean I've never heard of a Rainbow-looking snake before,” He raised an eyebrow as most ponies he met were not very well-traveled but this one has been around. Nullah slithered onto the nightstand stand with his little suitcase and pulled out his belongings and numerous chocolate bars.

“Oh yeah, I come from a very faraway place....” Eclipse got nervous, taking out one of his cubes and messing with it to hide his nerves, “oh I need a good cover story!???” He thought as he completes the cube before mixing it up again.

“Okay?…anyway, we better finish settling in before classes starts,” he turned away to put away more of his belongings. Eclipse sighed and turned to his side of the room to do the same.

~~~

Meanwhile, Winter found her room and went inside, having heard music already before entering.

The room was clean and nicely organized decently, there was a creature listening to the music at a desk their back turned and the music was at a normal volume, coming from a small music player.

“Hello!!” Winter greets coming in. The creature was in fact, a Kirin! like Starlight said!

She turned around then got excited
“Oh hi!!” She greets, as she jumped to meet Winter.

“You’re my roommatttttteeeee?~” Winter’s voice shook as the Kirin took her hoof in both of theirs, shaking it excitedly.

“And you're mine, yes!! I haven’t met many Pegasi before! This is great!” she says, full of energy. Even after letting go, Winter still felt like she was shaking.

When she finished, Winter looked over at her side of the room, “Are you excited about school?”

“I am! I’m new here, my name’s Estelle, what's yours?”

“Winter Sea! But you can call me Winter,” she said right away. Placing her bag on her bed.

“Great to meet you, Winter! Sorry about the music, I’ve just been drawing it’s fun for me,” she says as they settle down. Estelle pausing her music.

“Oh I don’t mind, I love music!!” Winter assured taking her things out. “Can I see some of your work?”

Estelle went red a little in embarrassment, “oh well I mean I kinda well… suck at it…I’m not very good….” she replies nervously.

“Hey, all art is good art, as a friend of mine says!” Winter replies smiling.

“W-well ok then, “ she says as she hands Winter her sketch pad, showing a piece of art featuring a timber wolf howling at the moon.

“Wow!!” Her eyes lit up in awe, “How’d you get it to look so accurate?! It’s like I can almost smell them!”

“I like watching them, I used to travel to look at ten from a distance, it’s a passion,” she blushes.

“I’ve always wanted to travel the lands!! What’s it like?” Winter asked in wonder. Returning the sketch pad.

“Well, it’s a lot of work but so worth it!” Estelle said smiling in wonder while daydreaming.

“Maybe we could go on a trip together!!”

“I’d love to! Well of course during the break,” she chuckles with Winter. The two got along right away!! Soon however the bell rang for the first period and everyone hurried to their classes.

Eclipse was good in class. He was a good learner, listening attentively though sitting for a while was a challenge for him. The teachers were great and he liked pretending to be a unicorn!

He liked meeting some of the forest animals in Fluttershy’s class, learning to look after them and such. However, because most of the animals were from the sanctuary, they were quickly drawn to Winter who looked after them already. They hurried to greet her almost dog-piling her.

“You sure your talent isn’t animals?” He asks as she was good with them though it was clear it was not her destiny.

“I’m sure,” Winter confirms as Fluttershy helped her separate from the animals before class began.

“Hey who’s the purple one?” Estelle asked Winter, looking at Eclipse intrigued

“That’s my friend Eclipse,”

“What is he? I mean I’ve met unicorns but something about him seems…different” she said as she was rather observant.

“What makes you say that?” Winter asks, a bit nervous, turning to Eclipse who was fawning over the baby rabbits.

“Well, it’s odd because there’s just something off. I study creatures to draw them but when I tried drawing him in secret the other day there was something about his form that felt unnatural. I can’t put my hoof on it!”

Eclipse held one of the baby rabbits and looks at it almost as if he can understand it.

“Plus he acts nothing like any unicorn I’ve met,” she says.

Winter gulped in nervousness. “I’m sure it’s nothing! He’s traveled a lot with his parents and now he has the chance to settle down for a change!!” She made up.

“Well, you should tell him then,” Eclipse says out of nowhere to the baby rabbit which looked at him. Little now twitching.

Estelle frowned “right….and how long have you known him?”

“Only a few days, we met at the sanctuary when he woke up all the animals after I put them to sleep.” She groaned remembering that night. “His parents thought this would be good for him, meet others about his age after traveling for so long,”

“I believe you can do it!” Eclipse said to the rabbit which just looked at him.

“Well ok so not long…Is his talent….talking to animals? He seems to be?” Estelle points out. Eclipse being of chaos does have the ability to communicate with many life forms and seeing Fluttershy at work, he had misunderstood and thought all ponies had this ability.

“His parents do a lot of research on all kinds of species so he picked up a thing or two!!!” Winter interjects, really struggling to cover up for him. Thankfully class was dismissed for lunch. She quickly walked over to him.

“Maybe ease up on the animal talking?” She hissed.

“What do you mean? I’m just blending in!” He said baffled as they walked. Nullah was on his back already filling out the class’s homework.

“Well, not all ponies can understand animals. That’s reserved for those with special talents like Fluttershy!”

“Oh….” He realized then looked embarrassed, “ok thanks. That explains a lot, honestly, I feel that Estelle doesn’t like me…she’s always watching me”

“She’s skeptical about you, also apparently she tried to draw you,” she shrugged. They headed to the lunch room where many students were already. A variety of food was served to accommodate all the students.

He thinks it makes sense as he goes to get his food “hay sandwich…well there’s a first time for everything these are horses after all,” he says out loud to himself. Winter followed him a little worried he might slip up again. Nullah had a packed lunch of chocolate. Notus was already eating he had a helmet with him that was a nice silver.

“Hey! Eclipse!!” He waved, flying over after grabbing some fish. “Who’s your friend here?”

“Oh hey! Notus this is Winter, she’s been my closest friend and helping me settle here,” he introduces her to him.

“Oh, you’re Eclipse’s roommate, nice to meet you!” She smiled as she shook his claw. “I hope you don’t mind me asking but what’s with the helmet?”

“Oh it’s fine and this is an ancient Pegasus helmet used during the time of Snowdrop…well they’re a replica I’ve made it based on old drawings”

“Snowdrop? The one who made snow beautiful?” Winter asked, playing oblivious.

“Yeah! This was made as a winter-themed look after Snowdrop's contribution to Equestria sadly no original surviving helmets exist so this is my replica attempt”

Eclipse hummed, thinking about going to that time and ‘borrowing’ one such helmet. But Winter was oblivious to his motives.

“Well, I’m sure you’ll find one eventually if you keep looking!” Estelle encouraged him, “if you do, lend it to me so I can draw it!” She added too, so Notus agreed.

Eclipse had thought similarly, he knew he was not allowed to of course but it seemed cool. “Well, as an enthusiast of military history, it would be great! There are so many theories about what happened to them,” Notus said.

“I have a feeling you two will get along very well, Eclipse here has very many artifacts himself at his home,” Winter patted Eclipse on his side with her wing. He only looked a bit bashful, not wanting to brag.

“Well one or two,” he says smiling and winking, then gets ideas in his head that actually might be fun to find out, he thinks to himself.

Notus finished eating, “well I’m glad and if I can find an original maybe I should look for possible descendants, maybe they have something,” he says and gets up.

Winter let out a nervous laugh and cough, “yeah, who knows…” she grinned. She didn’t have a family heirloom at home!! They brushed her nervousness aside and kept talking through lunch.

School continued the rest of the day and Eclipse learned much more and met other creatures!! But he liked bonding with Notus more over history and different artifacts.

The four became good friends and over the next few weeks, Eclipse adjusted to this more normal life especially his feelings towards Winter who he got close with. They sometimes went around town, shopping in the market, hanging out at Sugarcube corner, and even having picnics outside of town by the lake.

He found her so accepting and kind but with a fun attitude, he would try to explain how the multiverse worked and she would just nod in confusion but loving his enthusiasm regardless. She would show him some of her interests as well. When alone he got to be in his true form and use more of his chaos magic.

Regarding the animals at the sanctuary, her studies in nature and other creatures. She even had her version of the original CMC cape that the crusaders gave her when she was a little young filly.

“Why do I feel different around her?” he thought to himself then shrugged, “it's probably just me being new to social interaction,”

Though both Notus and Estelle felt that they were noticing the chemistry between their friends. It would only be a matter of time before someone made a move.