• Published 28th Sep 2022
  • 355 Views, 2 Comments

Mark Atlas: Future Explorer! - The Real Mark Atlas



Mark has dreams of being an explorer one day, but his whole life turns upside down when he makes some new friends.

  • ...
1
 2
 355

Chapter 8: Breeze a crowd

Author's Note:

This chapter contains mentioning of alchohol and cruelty towards vegetables. You have been warned.

The Atlas Files: Entry ☆☆☆A

Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh! THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY EVER!!!

It was the first Saturday morning since Mark started the new school year, and he was pacing circles around his living room. This wasn't because he was nervous, though. Far from it. It was because he was excited. Mark's had his next playdate with Fluttershy today, and the two would be spending the whole day having fun.

Not only that, but Fluttershy's little brother was coming along with her this time, and he had been dying to meet him since he found out that Fluttershy had a brother. Mark, being the massive nerd he was, made a chart of all the things Fluttershy had said about him, trying to connect the dots and figure out what kind of colt he was. He could just wait until he met her brother today, but the suspense was too much for him to handle.

But that wasn't even the end of it. Rainbow Dash and Halo Grace's parents also asked to come along at the last minute, since they had all become such good friends with Mark and Fluttershy. Mark would be spending the day with three of his best friends, and hopefully be making a brand new one.

"Okay, Fluttershy said he has a bunch of action figures. Does he like video games? He might? I never asked. He also collects those beauty magazines and likes styling the manes on Fluttershy's dolls. Oh! Maybe we could play salon together! Does he like playing pretend games like me? Oooohhh! This is so exciting! My ecstasy is reaching levels unprecedented!" Mark thought aloud as he went around and around the room, his hooves never staying still for a second.

Mark's mom was just on the couch, giggling from watching his excited anticipation. "Oh, goodness. Don't tire yourself too quickly, Mark.

"Yeah. Don't want to be worn out by the time Fluttershy and Zephyr get here, do you?" Mark's dad added, right by the door and waiting for company.

"I can't help it! I'm gonna meet Fluttershy's brother! I'm gonna meet Fluttershy's brother! I'm gonna--" Mark was bouncing up and down as he shouted, when he was cut off by a knocking at the door.

"They're here! They're here!" Mark yelled, storming over to the door and swinging it wide open before his dad even could.

On the other side of the door, however, wasn't Fluttershy or her family, but rather Halo Grace and her parents.

Her mother was a pink pegasus mare with a white mane and tail and a cutie mark consisting of several pearls in a circle. She was also wearing a short red dress with a sunflower in her mane.

Her father was a white pegasus stallion with a minty blue and green striped mane and tail, much like her daughter, bearing a cutie mark of a golden chalice. He was also wearing a black and gray vest on the front of his chest.

While it wasn't the pony Mark was anticipating the most today, Mark still reacted with joy to see his friend here. "Oh! Hi, Halo!"

"Hi, Mark! I wanted to show you a few things, but I want to wait for Fluttershy, so she can see, too. Is she here yet?" Halo greeted and asked, peeking inside the house looking around for her.

Mark shook his head. "Not yet. It's just us so far."

"Aww. Oh well. She'll get here," Halo said, her disappointment going away almost immediately.

"Sweetie, I want you to be on your best behavior for your little friends today, okay?" Halo's mom said while petting her mane.

"Okay, Mommy. I promise I'll be extra special super duper good for you today," Answered Halo, giggling and hugging her mother by the foreleg.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Grace. It's a pleasure to have you over here with us. Our son has been having so much fun with your daughter, we had to let her come over today," Mark's mom told Halo's parents.

"Ah, no, quite the opposite. The pleasure is all ours. We appreciate that you were able to allow us over on such short notice," Halo's dad said, giving a polite, sophisticated bow. "We have actually never been to Ponyville before, so perhaps we could go sightseeing some other time. Once we are better acquainted, of course."

"Mhm," Mark's mom nodded, then crouched down to Halo's height. "And you must be Halo. So, your parents told me you've been learning how to--"

"Shh!" Halo shushed and interruptedMark's mom, who was shocked, but then Halo looking a little guilty and tapping her hooves.

"Oh, gosh. I'm so sorry if I was rude, Mrs. Atlas. I just don't want the surprise to be ruined. Can you keep it a secret for just the teensiest little while? Pretty pleeeeeeaaase?" Halo gave a huge smile with bright, shining eyes.

"Aww, of course, little angel. I'm sorry. I'll keep my lips sealed until you're ready to show everypony, okay?" Mark's mom promised Halo.

At that moment, a few more pegasi came flying down by the front door. There, next to Rainbow Dash were her own parents.

Her mother was a light blue mare with a peach-like pinkish orange mane and tail, her cutie mark being a cloud with a breeze of whistling wind coming out of it. She also wore a yellow sweater with cream colored sleeve tips.

Her father was a darker blue stallion with a rainbow colored mane, much like her daughter's but done up in a mohawk. His cutie mark was a rainbow coming out of a cloud with a horseshoe over it, and he wore a loose, light green shirt.

Rainbow Dash, meanwhile, was just barely able to be seen, being behind her dad, as if she was trying to not be noticed.

"Oh hey. Looks like we got here just in time!" Rainbow's dad pointed out as he noticed the others by the door, Rainbow herself groaning behind him.

"Yup. Just in time. You must be Rainbow Dash's parents, right? Come on in, all of you!" Mark's dad offered, motioning his hoof.

With that, Halo, Rainbow, and their parents all went inside, Halo rushing in, while Rainbow very slowly came in with an annoyed look, and the parents went to all sit in the living room on the couch and loveseat.

"We're sorry for not letting you know sooner, but we just had to have little Dashie over here for a playdate! With how close she's gotten with her friends, this is perfect!" Rainbow's mom squealed excitedly.

"Well, you and your daughter are more than welcome here," Approved Mark's dad.

"Well, it's no surprise that Rainbow Dash has so many friends! She's the most fun filly ever to be around!" Rainbow's dad praised while her daughter had her head to the wall in frustration.

"She's talented, skillfull, and determined! Would you believe she's almost conquered her bedwetting problem? She'll be out of pull-ups in no time!" Rainbow's mom uttered like it was the least embarrassing thing ever said by a pony.

Mark and Halo both looked at Rainbow as they were left speechless, and Rainbow's face was completely red when she screamed.

"Aaaaaahhh! That's it! That's it! I'm outta here!" Rainbow made a dash to the door, but just when she got it open, she saw that the Atlas residence had a new guest by the door, or rather four of them.

Standing just by the doorstep was Fluttershy and her parents, and just beside Fluttershy was a colt a little but smaller than her. He was a light green with a creamy shade of yellow for a mane, and not having his cutie mark yet.

The little colt held Fluttershy with his hoof and pointed his hoof at Rainbow Dash. "Ooh! Ooh! Big sis! Is that Mark?!" He asked innocently.

Rainbow Dash was just about to say no, when Mark heard the sound of the colts voice from inside the living room.

Could it be?

Mark's excitement grew, his face beaming more than abyoony ever could have thought possible. At a speed that could give even Rainbow Dash a run for her money, he stormed over to the front door.

"They're here! They're here!" Mark shouted again, reaching the door and seeing the young colt next to Fluttershy.

Surprised by Mark's enthusiasm, Fluttershy still held her brother by the hoof. "No, Zephyr. That's Mark, and that's my other friend, Rainbow Dash," She said, pointing a hoof at each of them respectively.

"Ooooohhh! I get it! My name's Zephyr Breeze! I'm the coolest pony that ever lived!" Fluttershy's brother confidently declared.

Rainbow Dash groaned, her body visibly shaking at this point, while Mark was bouncing up and down like crazy.

"It's him! It's really him! It's really, really him!" Mark was screaming, almost losing his glasses with how much he was jumping around.

"Is this... a bad time?" Fluttershy's dad asked nervously while taking a peek through the open door.

"Nonsense! You're right on time! Everypony's here, so make yourself at home!" Mark's dad said invitingly from the living room.

Fluttershy's parents stepped in to join the other parents, and Fluttershy and Zephyr went up to join the other foals, all five of them together.

"Awww! Fluttershy! I'm so happy you made it! How's by bestie doing, huh?" Halo got Fluttershy around in a firm hug.

"I'm... good, thanks," Fluttershy answered with a slight blush and a nervous chuckle.

"I have a whole lot of fun games planned, Fluttershy, but we'll see what Zephyr thinks. I want him to have fun, too," Said Mark, hugging Fluttershy, but less tightly than Halo.

Zephyr, meanwhile, was looking at Rainbow Dash, staring at her with a goofy grin.

"What are you looking at me like that for?" Asked Rainbow, sounding annoyed.

"You're a girl!" Zephyr said loudly, pointing a hoof at Rainbow.

Rainbow groaned yet again, wishing to herself she was anywhere else right about now. "Yes. I am. Thank you for noticing," She said rolling her eyes.

"Why don't you kids go and play in Mark's room? We're just going to talk and get to know each other," Mark's mom proposed.

"Thanks, Mom. Come on, guys. I need us all to decide what we're gonna play," Mark said, leading the way to his room and the others following him.

"Make sure to show them how to have a good time, Dashie. Just don't have too much fun like in ballet class!" Rainbow's dad yelled down the hall with a wave as they all left.

"Daaaad! Stop it!" Rainbow shouted back before shoving the other four ponies forward, her eager to get away from her parents as quickly as possible.

As soon as the foals had all left to Mark's room, Mark's dad turned to address his six guests.

"Well, I guess we should introduce ourselves, right?" Mark's dad suggested. "Pen Atlas."

"Saga Atlas," His wife joining in.

"Numbus Shy."

"Posey Shy," Fluttershy's parents said.

"Windy Whistles."

"Bow Hothoof,"

Rainbow's mother and father continued, respectively.

"Ivory Grace."

"Paragon Grace," Halo's mother and father finished, also respectively.

"Well, introductions are out of the way. I've got plenty of stuff to tell you about Mark, and I'm betting you have the same for your own foals, so let's have ourselves a nice chat," Pen offered.

"I think that's most agreeable," Paragon affirmed with a polite nod.

"Oh, goodie! I'll get some coffee brewing and grab the baby pictures!" Saga elated, clopping her hooves together.


Mark had brought the other four into his bedroom, which had been cleared out and prepared for the guests, leaving the door open.

As soon as they were inside, Halo looked at Rainbow with a bright smile.

"Awwwww! Rainbow Dash! I had no idea you did ballet!" Halo squealed adoringly.

"Hey, hey, hey! It's not like that! I'm just taking it to learn to be more agile and flexible. I'm not in it for the girly fairy cake junk. Got it?!" Rainbow asserted, raising and pointing her hoof at Halo for emphasis.

"It's okay, Rainbow. We're not going to judge you, right?" Fluttershy prompted the group, everypony all agreeing with her, except Zephyr Breeze, who was too absent-minded to be paying attention at all.

"Thanks, guys. And please don't tell anypony. I would be ruined if anypony at school found out," Rainbow pleaded, the thougut of her having a reputation as a girly ballet dancer sending chills down her spine.

"My lips are sealed, Dash. Don't worry," Mark assured, putting his hoof to his chest. "But... I have to ask. You seem to have been in a bad mood ever since you got here. Something wrong?"

"Ugh. I just hate going places with my parents. They're always embarrassing me like they did here. It's annoying. It's like they don't even--" Rainbow was explaining until she noticed Zephyr Breeze staring at her with his mouth wide open and drooling.

"Seriously, stop looking at me like that, kid. It's weirding me out," Demanded Rainbow Dash.

"I like you!" Zephyr Breeze announced out of nowhere.

"Aww! How sweet! Looks like Dashie's got a boyfriend!" Halo chirped sweetly, playfully poking Rainbow's side.

All Rainbow did in response was make a gagging face.

"So, Zephyr. Your sister's told me a lot about you. You want to tell us a little about you, too?" Mark asked, looking closely at him with anticipation.

"Oh! I like making manes pretty, and I have all the coolest toys! I can also touch my muzzle with my tongue! See?" Zephyr stuck put his tongue trying to demonstrate, but just getting a little shy of reaching the tip of his muzzle.

"Wow. You just have it all, don't you? The coolest pony that ever lived," Rainbow replied sarcastically.

Fluttershy was just about to tell her friend to be polite, but was cut off by her brother looking back at Rainbow, his face blushing.

"Wow! You really think so, Rainbows?" Zephyr asked while beaming.

"Sure, buddy. You're a total dreamboat," Rainbow said rolling her eyes.

Zephyr had two hearts sparkling in his eyes as he looked at her.

"Merry me!" He suddenly shouted.

The others all smiled at how cute his little "proposal" was, but Rainbow Dash's eyes just shrank when she realized that he thought she was serious when she was complimenting him.

"Riiiiiight. Tell you what, Zephyr. I'll marry you when you become as awesome as I am," Offered Rainbow Dash.

"You got a deal!" Zephyr accepted, seeing this as an easy undertaking.

Like that'll ever happen. He's a pain in the neck, but hey, he's Fluttershy's brother. Least I could do is let the kid dream. She thought in her head.


"And this is when Mark first learned to walk," Saga said, pointing at a photo in her album. "Little guy was trying to grab a piece of my chocolate that Pen got me for our anniversary. I guess that's a motivation if I ever saw one!"

"I suppose so. Zephyr took his first steps because he wanted to be with Fluttershy," Posey recounted.

"Awwww! That's so sweet! He loves his big sister so much!" Said Windy with her wings open.

"Is Zephyr still jealous that Fluttershy goes on and on about Mark all the time?" Saga asked before blowing on her coffee.

"Oh, he threw a big tantrum over it the other day, but I think he's over it by now. He was excited to come here and meet Mark," Nimbus answered, stirring his own coffee with a spoon held in his wing.

"He's... a bit socially challenged. I hope Mark will be patient with him," Said Posey.

"You kiddin' me? Mark's been jumping up and down all morning waiting to finally meet him!" Pen remarked.

"Halo was rather excited about this playdate as well. She's been begging Ivory and I to come over to Fluttershy's, but we figured that coming here to be with Mark as well would be better," Said Paragon, taking the light sip.

"Kind of awkward for us all to be going here from Cloudsdale, but I don't mind. Trying to keep up with Rainbow Dash on the way here is a great way to stay in shape!" Bow laughed, honestly wishing he could say he was kidding.

"Well, we would be more than happy to come to Cloudsdale if earth ponies were able to stand on clouds," Saga offered.

"Oh, you can't tell us you're afraid of heights," Ivory joked with a little giggle.

"No, no, we're not afraid of heights. We're just afraid of falling from 'em!" Pen joked back, the eight parents all having a good laugh.


Back in Mark's room, Mark was giving his friends a tour of the place. He showed where he kept his toys, the models that he made with Rarity's dad and Gemini hanging up on the shelf, and the maps that he hung up all over the walls.

"You've really been around, haven't you, Mark?" Said Rainbow Dash while looking at another set of maps on his desk. They all seemed pretty detailed for an 8 1/2 year old colt to make, but the landmarks he wrote down were... confusing, to say the least. She couldn't quite make out what was what.

Is that a... skull and crossbones... in the middle of Ponyville? Rainbow pondered in her head.

"It's just something I like to do for fun now, but once I become a full-fledged explorer, I'm going to go all over the place."

"You're gonna be an explorer? What are you gonna do when you're an explorer, huh?" Zephyr asked energetically.

"I'm gonna do everything!" Mark exclaimed with his hoof to the air. "I'm gonna go everywhere, charting land after land, exploring temples, finding magical artifacts, beating up supervillains, and rescuing princesses! I'm going to down in history forever as the greatest explorer Equestria has ever known!"

"Oh, wow. Mark... you've got really big dreams. That's amazing," Fluttershy said aloud, smiling at him and sighing, then snapping out of it when realizing what she was doing.

"Oh! Oh! I wanna do that! I wanna play explorers! Can we play explorers? Can we can we can we?" Zephyr repeated while bouncing in place.

"Really? Out of all the games we could play, you want to play my favorite game?" Mark asked excitedly, having to make sure that this wasn't just a prank.

"Uh huh. Just as long as I can be an explorer with you," Added Zephyr.

"You got a deal! What about you guys? You want to play explorers?" Mark addresses the others.

"Heh. Sounds neat. Can I be the bad guy?" Rainbow asked nonchalantly.

Fluttershy knew who she was going to be. "And, can I... Can I be the princess that's kidnapped by the bad guy?"

"Sure, sure. What about you, Halo? Who will you be?" Mark had still yet to figure that out.

"I'll be the bad guy's henchpony that quits and joins the good guys, and then I... well, you'll see. This will be a good chance to surprise you with that... new thing I wanted to show you," Halo answered, giving them a wink and patting her bag, anticipating showing them what was inside.

"Well, I guess we all have it figured out then. Now, let's play explorers!" Mark chanted excitedly, ready to begin their game.


Within the territory of southern Equestria, in the land that was once long ago the Serpion Empire, there was a fair and pure-hearted princess, who ruled over the land with kindness. Her name was... Princess... uh, Shudderfly!

Mark had begun to narrate the story. Then Fluttershy squeed, and let him continue.

Every day, she gave cute little animal companions to everypony she encountered that wanted one, and everypony in her kingdom was happy.

"La la la la la! Here's a fluffy bunny for you, and a fluffy kitty for you, and a fluffy doggy for you!" Fluttershy Shudderfly, pranced around the room, passing Mark's stuffed animals to everypony.

One day... She was pranicng around, minding her own business, when she found an animal in some kind of trap.

"Oh, you poor thing! You're stuck, aren't you? Don't worry, little friend. I'll help get you out," Said Shudderfly as she went over to the stuffed animal with a sock tied around one if its legs, and the other end tied to the leg of Mark's bed poor, defenseless animal stuck in a trap.

Her kindness knowing no bounds, and her nurturing spirit guiding her, she couldn't ignore the plight of an animal in distress. But little did she know that there was more to this situation than met the eye.

"Huh? What's... AHHH!!!!" Shudderfly screamed, caught off-guard by something that got her too quickly for her to notice.

The evil Dark Lord, uh... Painblade, had used a decoy animal, its lifelike appearance luring the princess into the foul clutches of this mastermind!

Rainbow Dash Dark Lord Painblade ensnared Shudderfly in an empty clothes hamper placed upside-down over her inescapable, magical binding spell.

"Ha! I've got you now! I knew you couldn't resist saving a trapped animal! Now I've got YOU trapped! And soon, I will use you to enact the next phase of my evil plan, and once I figure out what that next phase is, oh, yoyr precious kingdom is DOOOOOMED! Mwahahahahahaha!" Painblade monologed, giving the best evil laughter she could.

"No! Help! I've been taken! Somepony, please save me!" Shudderfly pleaded.

"It's useless to call for help! Nopony will be able to rescue you once I take you to my impenetrable, evil lair! Now lackey, take her away!" Painblade ordered, her henchpony coming into view.

Her henchpony, let's call her... Roseblade the Graceful, had worked under Painblade the Dark Lord for a long time, but grew to resent her position more and more, until now, she had reached the breaking point.

"No! I'm not taking her to your lair!" Halo Roseblade the Graceful uttered defiantly.

"What?! But you have to do what I say! I'm the Dark Lord!" Insisted Painblade.

"Well, you're a big, stinky meanie head! You're always bossing me around, and you don't give me proper vacation and holiday leave! You're always making me do really awful things, too! Sure, it was harmless enough when I was stepping on the grass when the sign told me not to, but then you got me into doing really evil stuff, like ripping the tags off mattresses! And now this?! Kidnapping the most wonderful, lovely pony to have ever lived?! That's way too mean! You're... You're despicable! I quit!" Yelled Roseblade, venting out years of pent up frustrations towards her boss.

"Grrr! You'll pay for this! As soon as I figure out what phase two of my plan is, there will be nowhere for you to hide when I punish you!" Threatened Painblade.

"Not this time! I may not be able to beat you, but I'll find somepony who can, and then we'll rescue the princess!" Declared Roseblade as she flew off. "But where can I find such brave heroes?!"


"So, how is Zephyr doing in school?" Saga asked Posey.

"Oh, he's... well, fine. His grades aren't the best, but it's not that he's not smart. He just needs to... apply himself more," Answered Posey.

"We're sure he has potential, but he gets in trouble a lot with teachers. Some have grown... a little concerned about his behavior lately as of late," Said Nimbus.

"Oh, goodness. What's wrong? He didn't do anything bad, did he?" Ivory asked with concern.

Nimbus raised a hoof. "No, no. Of course not. Nothing like that. But his principal said he was... highly impulsive. He said that if Zephyr didn't learn to think things through before he acts, he'd grow up to be a drunk or something."

"Ah, that's ridiculous! You can't tell anything like that this early on! These suits think just because a colt likes stuffing bananas up his muzzle, means that he's gonna have a drinking problem when he's grown up? Give me a break!" Pen laughed off that ludicrous notion.


"Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!" The bedroom tavern was filled with the silence chanting of Mark's action figures several revelers, watching Zephyr Breeze the famous explorer, Coolpone McCoolpants, chugging down half a dozen cran grape juice boxes mugs of rum.

Don't look at me. Zephyr picked the name, alright?

"Uh... I think you've had enough, buddy," Mark Trace Tracker, the master explorer, warned his now sugar rushed intoxicated friend.

"Nonshenshe! Keep 'em... comin'!" After downing the last mug, Coolpone collapsed, falling to the floor on his back, his head spinning and his eyes swirling.

Trace shook his head and sighed, and picked coolpone up by the shoulders. "Come on. Let's get you home."

Trace was about to pull Coolpone away when Roseblade the Graceful came barging right in through the door.

"Help! Help! Princess Shudderfly has been kidnapped by Dark Lord Painblade! I need some talented, capable, able-bodied explorers to help me save her!" She yelled, catching the attention of everypony inside.

"Hey, wait a minute! You're Painblade's minion! Why should we trust you? For all we know, this could all be a trap!" Trace accused, still holding Coolpone in his hooves.

"I don't want to be Painblade's minion anymore! She's too mean! Please, I need your help! I'll never be able to stop her all by myself!" Roseblade pleaded on her knees.

(Even though equines having knees is... debatable, but you know what I mean.)

"Well... If Princess Shudderfly has been kidnapped, I guess we could use some help, but my friend Ze-- I mean, Coolpone McCoolpants, is kind of... out of it at the moment," Said Trace, showing his passed out friend to her.

"Oh! Oh! Oh! Mark! This is the chance to show you that surprise I had!" Halo exclaimed, breaking character for a bit as she reached for her bag. Opening it, she took out a lyre, appearing to be made of solid gold.

The other four also couldn't resist breaking character to marvel at it.

"Whoa! Is that... real gold?!" Mark asked in shock and disbelief, unable to believe what he was seeing.

"Uh huh. My mommy got it for me," Halo answered, strapping it around her.

"It's so pretty!" Fluttershy remarked, still under the clothes hamper.

"Uh... What is it?" Zephyr asked, completely clueless.

"It's a lyre. A musical instrument. My mommy signed me up for lessons, and I've already learned to play a few songs this month," Halo explained.

"Your mom got you a solid gold instrument?! When you said your parents were rich, you weren't kidding around!" Rainbow uttered in surprise from across the room, still in her pretend evil lair.

"I wanted to surprise you with this. And now's the perfect time to use it," Said Halo, making sure the strap was secure and wiping the lyre clean. "Uhh... Zephyr, I mean, Coolpone? Can you go back to pretending to be unconscious?"

"Oh, right!" Zephyr immediately made a gagging sound stand stick his tongue out with his eyes closed, his body going completely limp in Mark's hooves, as everypony got back into character.

"Uh... let's see, where was I? Oh, yes! It's okay! I will restore your dear friend Coolpone with my enchanted healing ballad, if you'll help me beat that meanie Painblade," Roseblade offered.

"Uh, sure. Please. We explorers never back down from a mission! But no tricks! I'm not sure we can trust you just yet!" Trace warned the ex-villain.

"No tricks. I promise," Pledged Roseblade. "Now, let's help your friend recover from his stupor."

Then, Roseblade strummed her golden lyre, playing a soothing, healing Aria while doing a little song and dance around Coolpone. Many of the patrons in the tavern clopped their hooves to the rhythm.

Suddenly, Coolpone felt his senses returning to him as he awoke. "Whew. Hey Mark, uh sorry, I mean, Trace! How long was I out?"

"A couple minutes. Now hurry up! We have a job to do! Princess Shudderfly has been captured, and we need to rescue her," Said Trace, shaking his fellow explorer to snap him back into it.

"The princess, captured?! Don't worry! Coolpone McCoolpants, the greatest, most insanely cool explorer ever, is on the job!" He proudly declared, striking a heroic, daring pose with his chest puffed out.

Halo couldn't help but break character for a second to snicker at the name, and went back to being Roseblade. "Are you sure you're up for this? It's going to be really dangerous."

"I'm tougher than I look, and me and Ma-- Trace, have been on, like, a bazillion adventures before!" Boasted Coolpone.

"Yeah! We're not afraid of anything!" Trace declared, backing him up.

"Well, it's not going to be easy, either. Painblade's armor is made of nobreakium, the toughest substance known to ponies! The only thing that can destroy it is a magical artifact, far away in some temple said to be in the west Mamban region," Said, Roseblade pulled out a map drawn in crayon and pointing to an uncharted territory on the far left side.

"Ha! And you said this was going to be a challenge! Let's hurry on, Coolpone McCoolpants!"

Halo snickered once again, and everpony looked at her.

"What? I can't help it!" Halo insisted.


Back in the living room, the parents were all still talking with each other. Saga bad brewed a fresh new batch of coffee, and also brought out some powdered doughnuts for her guests.

"So, your son, Mark. Halo had told me that he's a gifted child prodigy. That's quite remarkable," Said Paragon, taking a small, dignified bite out of his doughnut.

"Oh, he's a genius. Top of his class with nothing but A's since he started school. And more than that, since this summer, he's made many friends and become so well-rounded. I'm happy for him," Saga praised.

"And when he isn't out exploring and getting fresh air, he's tinkering around with junk and making contraptions. He's a smart kid. Obviously, he gets it from me!" Pen declared smugly, his wife playfully hitting him on the shoulder.

"Oh, I know exactly what you mean. Our Fluttershy is so smart, too," Said Posey, dipping her doughnut into her coffee and taking a bite.

"Ever since she got her cutie mark, she's especially been excelling in biology class. Anything involving animals gets her excited," Nimbus continued.

"Oh, I bet. That's got to be her favorite thing she comes down here for. You know, besides you-know-who," Teased Pen, pointing his hoof back to Mark's room.

Posey giggled, knowing he was probably right. "But even more surprising than how smart she is, she's great at taking initiative. She's so independent. So resourceful.

Numbus held his wife's hoof affectionately. "Oh, I know. I don't see how she does it, but she handles herself so well. She's brave, strong-hearted, and good at getting herself out of tough situations. That's our daughter."


"Help! I've been captured by a big, mean, scary pony! I'm too weak and helpless to get out of here by myself! If only there was a big, strong, handsome hero to save me!" Shudderfly cried out, trapped in the closet Dark Lord Painblade's super secret and super secure holding cell.

"I'd suggest you get used to it here, Princess. Nopony can ever get past the defesnes of my evil lair, let alone defeat me! You're not getting out anytime soon!" Painblade asserted, sounding so cure of herself.

"Noooo! Please, Miss bad guy! Please let me go! I don't want to be trapped here forever!" Begged Shudderfly.

"Quiet you! Uh, on second thought, can you help me brainstorm ideas for phase two of my plan? I'm... still drawing a blank here," Said Painblade, having a notebook with several scribbled out doodles on it. "I thought of holding you for ransom, but that's boring, and using your magic to take over the kingdom sounds like too much work. I'm all out of ideas."

Painblade passed her notebook and crayon through the bars of her cell, and Shudderfly picked them right up.

"I... I guess I could help you come up with ideas for now, since I'm never getting out of this cell without somepony to help me," Said Shudderfly, sniffling and crying. "Oh, where is my hero? Where could he be?"


Meanwhile, the parents were deep in conversation again. Their coffee and doughnuts had dwindled, and they had become a lot more engaged, going on about their children's accomplishments.

"Our Rainbow Dash is something else, you know! She's the best at everything!" Boasted Bow.

"Wait... I thought you said Rainbow Dash not won any race awards yet," Saga recalled.

"Yes, but she was the best at getting a participation prize! Woo! Go Dashie, go!" Windy cheered, sounding just as proud as a parent whose child was crowned ruler of Equestria.

"Riiiiiight..." Saga rolled her eyes, but still smiled. It was wholesome to see parents so supportive of their child.

"Not that you don't know what it's like to have a child that's so gifted, of course. It's great to hear that Mark is successful, and that he's on track to become an official junior explorer by the end of the year at that," Said Windy.

"Oh, I can assure you, it will be a pleasure to see our son living his dream, but honestly, Mark can a bit... difficult to understand sometimes," Replied Saga.

"I'll say! Sometimes it's like that kid's speaking an entirely different language!" Pen remarked.


"Ikur, woun! Nusha faa'dir qisava dai!" Trace spoke eloquently to his allies as he led them through the uncharted western Mamban wasteland.

"What... What does that mean?" Coolpone asked as he followed.

"I told you, Roseblade said that the labyrinth containing Painblade's weakness is protected by a sorcerer that sees and hears everything that happens in his lair. That means he'll know our plans if we tell them to each other! To ensure that we have the element of surprise, we need to use a made up language to fool him with what we're going to do," Explained Trace, as he drew more of the surrounding area and adding it to his map.

"Oh. I get it! If we use a language he doesn't know, he won't know what we're planning! Genius!" Exclaimed Coolpone, putting all the pieces together.

"Precisely," Trace affirmed. "You don't need to memorize the whole language. Just a few keywords in that sheet I gave you and Roseblade."

"Whoa whoa whoa! Wait a second!" Halo again put the adventure on hold. "Sorry to break character again, but Mark! You really made an entire language by yourself?!"

Mark blushed, rubbing the back of his head. "Hehe. Yeah, well, I didn't have any friends when I was six, so I did some stuff here and there to pass the time. I never got to share it with anypony. You like it?"

Halo took a look at the sheet she was given, examining once again the detail in how the language works. "Like it?! Mark, this is so cool! You gotta teach me how to speak this sometime!"

"Heh. Sure. I can teach you, but can we get back to playing explorers for now?" Mark asked, eager to resume.

"Oh, oh, right. Sorry," Said, Halo snapping back into her role as Roseblade the Graceful.

"So, Coolpone, Roseblade, I need you to memorize the keywords so we can fool the evil Optic Sorcerer. Think you have it covered?" Trace addressed his merry band of explorers.

"I think so, Trace. Um, quick question. Are the g's in 'Backwards' silent?" Roseblade inquired, intending to be thorough.

"The first is a hard G, but the second is silent. I think you're on the right track. Remember, nopony knows where this ancient temple is supposed to be, or if it even exists at all, so it will likely take quite a few days before we MMMMFFFFF!!!---" Trace was interrupted when, while focused on sketching out his map, he wasn't looking at all where he was stepping, walking face-first into what appeared to be the bedroom wall a large, imposing temple.

"Huh. I guess it wasn't so well hidden after all," Roseblade remarked.

"Heh. Or maybe we're just such amazing explorers, it was easy for us!" Coolpone theorized.

"That's probably it. No lost temple can elude us for long! Maybe when they send us after it, they shouldn't call it a 'lost temple', but a 'here it is temple, come inside and have a milkshake'!" Trace joked, giving a hearty laugh.

"Mmmm... milkshakes..." Said Coolpone as he licked his lips.

"Well, team, your knowledge of those keywords will have to do. We have a temple to raid, and an artifact to get!" Instructed Trace, the trio looking at the piece of paper with a temple door drawn on it taped to the wall massive opening looming above them.


"I have to say, Mr. and Mrs. Grace, your daughter seems like such a sweetheart!" Priased Saga, looking at a few photos taken of Halo when she was younger.

"Well, we did put forth a lot of effort into raising her to be polite and compassionate. As the future heir to all of our corporate assets, we want to assure she will use them responsibly," Explained Paragon.

"Well, we have faced one problem with her," Ivory added, turning over to one particular photo of Halo. In it, her belly was bulging outward and cookie crumbs were all over her face. "This one was after she asked us for cookies. We tried to say no, but she asked super politely, and gave us the puppy dog eyes. She's adorable, and she knows how to use it."

Paragon faceoofed. "Yes, that was a great moment of weakness for us, and we unfortunately caved into her requests. We're not proud of it."

"Hey, you get so attached to your kids that it's hard not to spoil them once in a while," Said Bow.

"Like the time we got Rainbow Dash that super expensive custom made wonderbolt themed birthday cake she begged us for. Oh, but the look on her face was soooo worth it!" Windy reminisced, leaning onto her husband's side.

"Well, I know what it's like, too. We... may have gotten her a few too many stuffed animals and now her room is filled with them," Posey Confessed.

"Oh, you don't know the half of it, Posey. Halo is cute enough to basically get anything she wants from anypony once she puts the pressure on them," Claimed Ivory.

"Dang. Her cuteness should be registered as a lethal weapon," Pen said jokingly.

"Oh, I wish that I could say that as a joke," Said Ivory, putting her hoof to her forehead. "I swear, sometimes I think our daughter could get away with murder if she wanted to."


"Murderer! You're a murderer! How could you do something so diabolical?!" Yelled Mark doing the voice of a stuffed bunny with a monocle and cape the Optic Sorcerer, guardian of the temple, as he watched Roseblade's brutal display.

Roseblade was breaking in half two connected orange Peg-A building blocks the Optic Sorcerer's super carrots, the source of his vision powers.

"First you confused me with all that gibberish you were speaking, and now you're murdering all my carrots! And me! Now I'm going to die of hunger! You murderer! Noooooo!" The sorcerer screamed out, pounding his paws to the ground in defiance as he watched his morsels perish one by one.

"Whew! With this, he should be weak and hungry enough for us to take his artifact! Trace, Coolpone, hurry up!" Roseblade directed the two to the area just up ahead.

"Got it!" Trace and Coolpone said simultaneously, going up and picking up the artifact, a magic 8 ball the Eye of Exposure.

"With this, can we finally beat Painblade?" Coolpone asked, staring at the artifact and then peering into its looking glass, revealing a message that said, "You may rely on it".


"Rainbow Dash may not win at everything, but she's tough as nails. She never gives up. She'll try something as many times as she needs, and never stops until she's the best! That's my daughter!" Bow praised.

"Oh, goodness! The tenacity! I love it!" Saga clopped her hooves gleefully.

"She wants to be a wonderbolt, you said? I think she could make it. That attitude will carry her quite a way, I think," Said Nimbus.

"I just know our daughter's going to be a Wonderbolt one day. With how resilient and tough she is, she can't possibly lose! We can rest assured that our Dashie will be a success and a winner for all time!" Windy decreed with unshakeable confidence.


"Aaagh! I failed! All my plans failed! Before I even came up with a phase two for my plan, these dumb explorers used the Eye of Exposure to pierce my nobreakium armor! My plan is ruined, and I lose! I'm a failure and a loser for all time!" Dark Lord Painblade screamed to the sky, her cardboard nobreakium armor laying on the floor in pieces.

"I told you I'd find some heroes to stop you, Painblade! Serves you right for being so mean!" Roseblade snapped at her former boss.

"Wh-What are you gonna do with me?" Painblade asked, worried that her demise was at hoof.

With that, Coolpone came over to her, and hugged her tightly. The others couldn't help but smile, but Painblade's eyes widened with shock, and a little bit of disgust.

"I know you're really a good pony deep down. You were only being grumpy to get attention. You just wanted somepony to like you. Well, I like you," Coolpone said sweetly as he hugged, Painblade struggling in his grasp, trying to give herself a little space, but he was awfully persistent.

"Awwww!" The other three ponies reacted with adoration, while the Dark Lord herself was gagging.

"Tell you what. We'll let you go if you promise to be a good pony from now on," Offered Coolpone.

"Ugh. Alright. I guess I have no choice," Conceded Painblade.

"And you gotta merry me!" Coolpone siddenly added to the deal.

"What?!" Painblade bellowed in annoyance. "That's crazy! I'm not gonna..."

"Well, it's the only way we'll let you go, so you gotta!" Coolpone insisted.

Painblade desperately searched for a way out of this situation, but alas, there was none. She had no choice but to surrender to the demands. "Fine. Whatever. I'll marry you. Just please let go of me!"

"Oh, goodie goodie gumdrops! A wedding! I'll start the ceremony!" Volunteered Roseblade as she got out her golden lyre. "This is an ode to a our brave explorer heroes, and to romance!"

"Wait! We're getting married right now?!?!" Painblade was in a state of hysteria and even terror as she was immediately pulled to the altar without so much as a warning.

Meanwhile, Trace still had a job to finish. Going up to Princess Shudderfly's cage, he opened it up to release her. "You're free to go now, Princess. Dark Lord Painblade won't cause you any more trouble."

The now rescued princess leapt over to Trace, twirling around him in a strong hug. "My hero! Thank you, brave explorer! You're so brave and talented and handsome!" Shudderfly blushed, the filly loving her role so much at this point and wishing that this could be for real.

"Well, I couldn't have done it without my friends," Insisted Trace, looking over to his friends, one of which was at the altar, and the other playing her Lyre and getting ready to wed him.

"So... those two are getting married, huh, Trace? Maybe... we..." Shudderfly's blush deepened to a brighter red, all the while the pony playing her was really hoping he would pick up on what she was suggesting, as pretending to get married to her crush sounded really fun to her.

"Maybe we what? ...Oh!" Trace Blushed as well, realizing what she meant. To Mark, marrying his best friend would feel really weird, even if it was just pretend, but he knew that when a brave hero rescues a princess, they're supposed to get married and live happily ever after. It's the rule! He had to play the part, right?

"Hehe. Yeah. I suppose we should, huh? Sure, Princess. I'll marry you," Said Trace, accepting her suggested proposal with a nervous smile.

"Yay," Shudderfly quiet-cheered, her heart pounding with excitement.

"Um... Roseblade? I think you have two marriages to host," Trace addressed his companion, stepping up to the altar as well with his bride.

"Y-You two?!" Roseblade pointed a hoof at them, seeming to be surprised, and the two could swear a bit of disappointment was on her face.

"Uh... is there a problem? Heroes have to marry princesses they rescue and live happily ever after," Explained Trace. "Haven't you read the books?"

"W-Well, I was hoping I... umm... never mind. Never mind. It's nothing," Roseblade said dismissively, shaking her head. "Let's get the ceremony started, then."

Trace and Shudderfly both noticed something was on her mind, but they had a happily ever after to get to. And so with that, Roseblade the Graceful played her lyre, singing a song in honor of these two couples and their love. Trace was smiling awkwardly, Princess Shudderfly was also smiling, but a more gleeful but still embarrassed smile, Coolpone McCoolpants was smiling very confidently holding his bride's hoof, and the former villain Painblade had an annoyed look, seeming eager to get this overwith.

And so their horney had ended. Princess Shudderfly took her place on the throne, continuing to give adorable animals to her subjects every single day.

Of course, she now had her husband and prince, Trace Tracker, to rule by her side. And he gave everypony free treasure maps as well, exciting other ponies with the idea of being as great an explorer as he was.

Coolpone McCoolpants gave up drinking for good and started farming carrots instead, the Optic Sorcerer being his best customer, turning over a new leaf and joining society after being in his temple for so long.

The former Dark Lord, Painblade, never got up to any trouble again. Now being married, she had like a million foals to look after, so she never had any time to be evil even if she wanted to.

As for Roseblade the Graceful? You may think it was lonely for her, all her new friends getting married, but not so. She became a traveling bard, playing music and touching the souls of many a kingdom. Who knows? Maybe she'll meet her prince charming one day.

And they all lived happily until the sequel.

The End.


Their game of explorers completed, the five young ponies spent the rest of the day playing more games with one another, and even stayed to have dinner. Saga had her hooves full cooking for so many guests, so the other moms gave her a little bit of assistance.

Having a full day's worth of fun and excitement, the parents said their farewells to Pen and Saga as they were prepared to leave.

"Goodbye Mr. and Mrs. Atlas. It was a pleasure," Said Posey as she went out the door.

"Yes. We should do this again soon," Nimbus agreed as he went out after her.

"Heh. We'd better," Pen teased.

"Well, I suppose it's time to go, then. Thanks for being no nice to my little brother, Mark. And um, everypony else," Said Fluttershy, adding that last part.

"Oh no. Thank you and Zephyr for coming! I've been waiting forever to finally meet him," Insisted Mark. "And I think you're really cool, Zephyr.

"Yeah. I am really cool, aren't I?" Zephyr said proudly.

"I'll say! Maybe you can come over to my place sometime! I have so many dolls at my place that could use a little brush, and I heard how much you like that," Offered Halo.

"Really?! Yay!" Zephyr did a little happy prance in place.

"And what about you, bestie? What'd you think of my little surprise? I learned how to play especially for you! You like it? Huh?" Halo asked Fluttershy, nuzzling up to her cheek-to-cheek.

Fluttershy blushed, so touched by the lengths her friend went to. "All that practice? For me? Oh, Halo. I thought it was lovely. It's so nice that you..."

"Fluttershy, Zephyr, we need to go soon. Are you almost done?" Nimbus asked gently, still just outside.

"Oh! Well, we have to go. Bye, everypony," Said Fluttershy as she went out the door to join her parents.

"Bye, Mark! Rainbows! Bye, Halo! ... Bye Rainboooows!" Zephyr said as he left, Rainbow Dash groaning at that.

"You... already said goodbye to Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy pointed out, almost missing that.

"I like Rainbows..." Zephyr said with that familiar goofy grin on his face as they left.

"Ugh. Well, I guess today wasn't the worst," Said Rainbow Dash with a shrug. "At least my parents were too busy talking to embarrass me in front of you guys."

"Hey, Dashie! Hurry up! We have to get home and wash your tutu for tomorrow! Best ballerina ever! Woo!" Windy cheered excitedly.

Rainbow's teeth briefly clenched in frustration. "Aaaaaaaannnd I'm outta here! Later, guys!" She then flew away as fast as she could.

"No shame in it, Dashie! See ya!" Halo called out with a wave goodbye.

"Well, I guess that leaves just the two of us, then," Said Mark, offering a hoof to Halo to shake. "And I liked your surprise, too."

"Aww! Thanks!" Halo shook his hoof enthusiastically.

"Hehe... You're welcome..." Said Mark, his voice having a reverb sound to it from the vibrations of his hoof.

"I'm going practice my lyre some more this week, and write a new poem. Do you think that you can be a test audience for me sometime, and tell me what Fluttershy will think? Pretty pretty please with sugar and gumdrops on top?" Halo asked as sweetly as she could manage.

"Sure, Halo, but I think Fluttershy will just be happy with it, no matter what, as long as it comes from in here," Said Mark, his hoof to his heart.

Halo squeed and blushed at the sentiment. "I know, I know, but I just want it to be perfect for my bestie."

"Halo, we are departing now. Say your last farewells and let us be on our way, dear," Instructed Paragon, just by the front door with his wife.

"Yes, Daddy!" She fluttered off the ground with her wings and joined them. "Bye, Mark!"

"Bye, Halo!" Mark said goodbye to his last friend for the day.

Mark wobbled back and forth. He may have had more fun than he ever has before, but by now, he was feeling exhausted from it all and collapsed onto the floor just after Halo left.

The Altas Files: Entry ☆☆☆B

I rest my case. Today was the greatest day ever.

Thinking his last entry in his head, his tiredness quickly claimed him, and he drifted off into slumber right on the floor.

MUSIC: https://youtu.be/UlB5akn2G6I

"Heh. Looks like the little guy's all tuckered out," Said Pen, smiling at the look of his son blissfully snoozing away.

"I'll carry him to his bed," Volunteered Saga, picking up her son in her hooves. "What nice ponies. We should do this again sometime."

"Oh, definitely," Agreed Pen. "Just give Mark time to recover. Don't want him getting overloaded, do we?"

Saga giggled, cradling her son gently in a way she hadn't done since he was a toddler. "Definitely not, but it's really sweet seeing him enjoy himself with friends that like him and care about him so much. I remember this summer, he was so shy and so afraid to talk to anypony. And look at him now."

"Yup. Our little colt's really come out of his shell, huh?" Pen ruffled his son's mane as he slept.

"It makes me so proud, seeing him build all of these friendships, and he's doing it all on his own," Said Saga, a joyful tear coming down her face. "Mark... I love you."


Some time later, Fluttershy and Zephyr Breeze arrived home, and went to bed that night, and as they lie awake in their shared bedroom...

"Zephyr. Are you still awake?" Fluttershy asked with a whisper.

"Uh huh," Answered Zephyr, rubbing his eyes.

"I... I just want to say it was so nice of you to offer to play explorers with Mark," Fluttershy praised, looking over to him from her bed.

"Th-Thanks, sis..." Zephyr looked away, but didn't go back to lying down.

"Is... something else on your mind, Zephyr?"

"W-Well... I have to, um what's the word? Confess?" Zephyr tapped his forehooves together nervously.

"Confess? Confess what? Did you do something wrong?"

"I said I wanted to play explorers with Mark because... I was jealous," Zephyr turned his head fully away, too ashamed to face his sister.

"Jealous? What do you mean?"

"Well you know, you're always talking about Mark and how great he is. Everypony likes Mark. I thought if I were more like him, and played his favorite game, then Rainbows would think I was cool, and that maybe... that you'd love me again," Zephyr confessed, sniffling and crying faintly.

Fluttershy got out of her bed, getting onto her brother's bed and wrapping him around her wing.

"Oh, Zephyr. I never stopped loving you. I'll always love you."

"R-Really?"

"Really."

The two siblings snuggled each other muzzle-to-muzzle.

"I'm really sorry, sis. I was mean before when I got mad about Mark."

Fluttershy held her hooves around him, now coupled with her wings.

"No, I'm sorry. I should have thought about how I was making you feel."

Zephyr hugged her back with both wings and hooves. "It's okay, Sis. I forgive you,"

"And I forgive you."

The two embraced each other for a good while, letting the emotions sink in for them, before finally breaking the hug and looking at each other.

"Who's the best little brother in the whole world?" Asked Fluttershy.

"Me!" Answered Zephyr.

"And who's the best big sister in the whole world?" She also asked.

"You!" Zephyr answered again, pointing a hoof at her.



That night, Fluttershy didn't go back to her own bed. She stayed right where she was in Zephyr's, going to sleep holding her little brother in her hooves. Zephyr quickly found himself getting too tired to stay awake, and with a yawn, he snuggled up even more closely with his sister, and went off into dreamland.

"I love you, Fluttershy..."

[END OF MUSIC]