• Published 28th Sep 2022
  • 355 Views, 2 Comments

Mark Atlas: Future Explorer! - The Real Mark Atlas



Mark has dreams of being an explorer one day, but his whole life turns upside down when he makes some new friends.

  • ...
1
 2
 355

Chapter 5: Fellow feeling for a forlorn flying filly

With the combined efforts of Mark Atlas, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Gemini Dream, the hollow tree was cleared out and prepared to be turned into a fully functioning clubhouse.

Still, there was much more work to be done, as now it was just empty, so after Mark found a couple of old logs the ground, Rarity had upholstered them, making them into proper chairs, Gemini using his wagon to carry them there.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy came down with tightly packed clouds, molding them into tables and more chairs, adding to the fullness of the rooms.

Mark brought his old play rug from the closet and brought it in, along with a few of his explorer posters to help decorate the clubhouse. Gemini and Rainbow Dash pitched in as well, putting up train and Wonderbolt memorabilia, Rainbow in particular sneaking away from camp back to her own house while her parents were away to get hers.

Rarity had finished the curtains she was working on the day Mark and the others met Rainbow Dash, and put them right up by the windows.

Mark took an old, torn tent that he and his dad took to camp out last year, and then cut out the still intact zip-up door, and with Rarity's ingenuity, attached it to the entrance of the tree, making a makeshift door to the clubhouse.

Thus, the clubhouse had come together quite well, and made for quite the impressive sight, the five ponies each coming here frequently to enjoy each other's company.

Two weeks had gone by since Mark met Rainbow Dash, and nearly a month since he met Fluttershy, and they spent day after day at the clubhouse, doing all sorts of their favorite things together.

Mark had to reflect on this past month. His life had already drastically changed. Once a loner too afraid to talk to anypony, he had now made a circle of friends he could spend time with, and no treasure of this world could ever persuade him to give this new life up. After all this time of being alone, and seeing what he has now, he vowed to himself that he would never take it for granted.

Today, Mark travels once more to the clubhouse, as he did every day, to see what kind of excitement was in store for him this time.

The Atlas Files: Entry ♧♧♧A

Another morning, and I find myself returning to base. Once an abandoned dwelling reclaimed by nature, we had seized it right back and established it as our own. With this task completed, our new base shelters us from the harsh and unforgiving environment that lay just an inch beyond its doors. And it is in the spirit of adventure that I head there again today. Although I had a to brave the dangers of the wilderness on my way, I knew that my sanctuary would prove to hold. Once I make it inside and rendezvous with my new allies, my day is certain to be nothing but fun and excitement.

Such was written in Mark's journal before reaching the clubhouse.

However, his expectations were turned completely on their head when he had heard something inside.

It was a familiar sound, just faintly able to be heard from behind the zip-up door. It was a sound that always made Mark's heart ache when he hard it... It was Fluttershy crying!

"Oh no," Mark said around to himself. "What happened to her?"

The uncertainty of what could be wrong with Fluttershy made his imagination run wild with raving paranoia. Was she hurt? What was going on? Is she going to survive?

Mark wasn't going to let her suffer one more second. Regardless of what awaited him inside, he would face it without hesitation her her sake. He opened up the door and charged right in at full speed.

When he got into the main room, he saw Fluttershy crying on one of the cloud chairs, as well as Rainbow Dash and another pegasus filly comforting her.

This other filly had a pure white coat, a poofy, baby blue mane with a minty green bow in it, and her cutie mark was a golden angel halo.

"It's okay, Fluttershy. Everything is gonna be okay. We promise," The filly said in a sweet, soothing voice as she held Fluttershy close, while Rainbow Dash had a hoof on Fluttershy's back. All the while Fluttershy continued to sob.

"What... What's happened to Fluttershy? Is she hurt?" Mark asks with concern.

"She's not hurt. Well, not physically, anyway," Answered Rainbow Dash.

"The ponies at camp were mean to her. I can't believe they could be so cruel to such a nice filly like our Fluttershy," The other filly said, nuzzling Fluttershy cheek to cheek.

"Oh, and uh, I don't think you two met," Said Rainbow in realization. "Mark, This is Halo. Halo Grace. A friend of ours from camp. She wanted to come here and offer Fluttershy a little support. Halo, this is Mark. Mark Atlas. He and Fluttershy met about a month ago, the day she got her cutie mark, and this clubhouse was his idea."

"It's good to meet you, Mark. Fluttershy was telling me about you," Said Halo, though not with the cheer one would usually expect from someone making a new friend, although given the circumstances, that was understandable to him. "I wish we could have met properly at a better time, but we've got a... situation at the moment. I'm glad you're here, though. We need all the help we can get."

"Aw, Fluttershy. It's okay. I'm here," Mark said softly walking up to her and giving Fluttershy a hug, her wings flapping open as she gave a surprised gasp.

Fluttershy still had tears flowing down her face, but the fact that the ponies that cared about her were by her side made her feel less alone.

Mark showing up to hug her in her moment of need, though, was an even bigger deal and more reassuring to her because of her crush on him. It was just a little teeny tiny crush, as she would say, but a crush nonetheless. The feeling she got with Mark hugging her, looking at her with those big bright sparkly eyes, saying he's here for her... somehow she felt much calmer.

Her attention focused on Mark, she took a deep breath and then exhaled. Rough though it may have been, she let it out slowly.

"It was awful, Mark," Fluttershy finally spoke up, the others all surprised that Mark's presence had such an effect on her. "I wasn't good at flying at all, and the other foals teased me and made fun of me."

"That was awful... of them," Said Mark as he now looked angry, but more of a protective anger at the foals who mistreated her. "Downright rotten, even. Nopony has any excuse to treat you that way. Besides, they're dead wrong. You're a good flier. You've come here and back every day."

"W-Well, I don't know about a good flier, but I can fly okay sometimes. It's just when I'm scared, I... my wings shut, and I just can't get them to open," Fluttershy explains.

Wait a minute! That explains it! Mark thought, piecing something together in his mind. I remember that the day we met, she flew away at first, but she came back to comfort me when I was crying. She must have lost her ability to fly because of how scared she was, and then she was forced to hide on the ground nearby. That's why she was close enough to even hear me. And also, the day she first went exploring with me. She pretended that she had a cramped wing so that she had an excuse not to fly. It makes sense now. She couldn't fly, but didn't want to let me know that she was nervous. In every case, it's fear and pressure that inhibits her ability to fly.

Suddenly, this thought gave Mark another realization. Sweet Celestia! She's flown here and back every day! What if she got scared when she was flying to see me or going back to camp? If that happened, she could have lost the capacity to keep herself afloat and plummeted to her doom! And there's no telling when something capable of scaring her would pop up. She's been putting herself in a lot of danger making these trips!

All of these thoughts got the gears in Mark's mind turning, and before he knew it, an idea came to mind.

"Fluttershy. I have an idea of what might cheer you up," Mark spoke up, catching Fluttershy's immediate attention. "If you come by to Rarity's place, I'll see if she's able to help. I want to make you a gift."

"A g-g-gift?" Fluttershy's wings spread open again and she felt her tears practically melt away. Oh my goodness! He wants to make me a gift to cheer me up? He... He's too sweet for words!

"I... Okay. I'll go with you," Fluttershy agreed, finally getting up from her chair. "But only if you all go with me."

Rainbow took notice just how quickly Fluttershy's attitude changed with Mark around, and even heard what sounded like the enhanced beating of her heart. This made her ponder what was going on.

Halo, however, didn't notice this, as she was just overjoyed to see her friend happy again. "Oh, Fluttershy! I knew you wouldn't let this keep you down for long! That's my bestie! We all love ya sooooooo much!" Halo exclaimed with elation, rubbing her cheek to Fluttershy's.


Later, Mark, Fluttershy, Rainbow, and Halo all made the trip into Ponyville. A few ponies in town looked at them curiously, never having seen the three pegasi fillies before, making Fluttershy uneasy once in a while, but they always soon left them and carried along.

The Atlas Files: Entry ♧♧♧B

Tragedy has struck today. The beasts and predators that lie outside of our sanctuary ruthlessly attacked one of our own and left her traumatized. In an effort to restore her fallen morale, I go forth to the stronghold in the next settlement. We are allied with the leader of this tribe. I know she will offer us aid in our hour of need. Wow. I'm getting better and better at these.

"So, this is the town you live in?" Asked Rainbow Dash, taking a look around as she walked. "Not bad."

"I... I like it. It's much quieter than Cloudsdale," Said Fluttershy, smiling lightly.

"It's a pretty place! Isn't it, Fluttershy? I wouldn't mind living here one day, would you?" Halo commented, giving Fluttershy a playful nudge.

"Hmm... Maybe. It would be nice to have a place on the ground where I can live. A place close to the animals I like," Fluttershy answered.

Mark just smiled at that. He remembered nearly a month ago that Fluttershy had proposed the idea of living on the ground. Could she really live here in Ponyville? With how much fun Fluttershy has had with the animals, having a home down here would be nothing short of a dream come true to her. And here of all places? Mark's mind was racing at the possibility.

"Well, here we are, girls. This is Rarity's house," Mark announced, being right at the front yard and stepping up to knock on the door.

Strangely, though, even after waiting outside for a while, there appeared to be no answer.

"You think... they might not be home?" Rainbow Dash guessed.

"Hold up! I'll be there in a minute!" A familiar voice rang out from inside the house. Soon after hearing it, the door was them answered, not by Rarity or her parents, but by Gemini Dream.

"Gemini? Where's Rarity and her parents?" Asked Mark, peering inside the door curiously.

"Oh. Uh, they're off at the doctor's office. Rarity's mom had a last minute appointment she had to make and me and her are home alone," Gemini answered.

"Oh. I guess that means we can't come in?" Mark presumed.

"No, no! You can come in!" Rarity's voice called out as she approached the door, answering the four foals outside. "My parents never said I couldn't invite anypony over, but please don't make a mess. I'll be held responsible for the state the house is in when they get home."

"Oh. Thank you, Rarity. I won't make a mess, I promise," Assured Fluttershy, the rest of the group nodding in agreement and coming in.


When the six ponies went up to Rarity's room, Mark was about to tell her that she needed her help with a special project to help cheer up Fluttershy. Before that, however, another question came up before then.

"Your parents are really letting you stay home alone? My parents wouldn't even dream of doing that," Rainbow remarked, rolling her eyes just thinking about the idea. Them? Never in a million years.

"Well, not alone. Gemini had to be here, too," Answered Rarity.

In response, Gemini playfully bumped his hoof on Rarity's shoulder. "They wouldn't normally leave Rarity in charge at her age, but it was kind of a last minute decision. They figured it would be a good chance to see if she's responsible enough to babysit her little sister when she's born."

Halo beamed, her smile shining brightly. "Awww! You're gonna have a baby sister soon?! You've gotta let me play with her when she's born! You've just gotta!" She exclaimed while jumping up and down.

"Oh, certainly, um... Oh, where are my manners?" Rarity uttered, just realizing that she hadn't met thos filly before. "I'm Rarity, and you are?"

"Nice to meet ya, Rarity! I'm Halo Grace. I'm Fluttershy's bestie," She hugged Fluttershy super tight as she said that.

"That's... debatable," Rainbow argued with a smirk.

"Well, anyway," Halo interrupted, as that debate would have never ended. "Fluttershy here was kinda feeling down in the dumps, but Mark has an idea that turned her frown upside down! But he said we needed your help, Rarity. Fluttershy didn't even know what it was, but she was completely on board!"

Fluttershy just blushed and chuckled nervously, and Rarity smiled seeing her reaction. Yep. Fluttershy still has that crush, alright.

"Oh, in need of a little assistance? I'd be happy to lend a hoof. And it's nice to meet you as well, Halo. If Mark and Rainbow Dash are any indication, a friend of Fluttershy's must be a special pony," Rarity said humbly.

Mark chuckled, flattered at that, while Rainbow Dash had her head help up proudly.

Halo, meanwhile, gave an embarrassed smile, putting her hoof to her cheek. "Aw, shucks! You're gonna make me blush, silly filly!" Halo chirped bashfully.

Rarity then turned her attention to Mark. "So, Mark. What is this idea of yours?"

"Well... I want to make a special cloth for Fluttershy," Mark answered.

"Special cloth?" Fluttershy and Rarity both asked aloud curiously.

"Yeah. A special cloth that she can hold to slow her descent in the air. Like a parachute of sorts," Mark explained further. "Can you make it?"

"Hmm. This sounds like a challenge, but I've been looking for a challenge since I got my cutie mark. That, and my inspiration has been on the decline these past few days. I've been meaning to try something new, anyway. I'll give it a try," Rarity declared.

"Thank you, Mark. That's nice of you, but... Why did you want to make this for me?" Fluttershy asked him, not sure where he was going with this idea.

"Well, I've been thinking about it. You have a hard time flying under pressure. I was hoping I could make you a special cloth that you could use so you don't fall if you get scared. To keep you safe," Said Mark, before turning his head away from her shyly. "It's... It's a silly idea, isn't it?"

Fluttershy could only drop her jaw in response. Mark just always seems to surprise her with just how sweet and compassionate he is, and this is the nicest thing Mark has ever done for her yet. Where the other foals at camp made fun of her for her flight problems, Mark just wanted to help make sure she's safe in spite of them. And he thought of this on the spot? Just to cheer her up?

She could barely contain herself. Filled with gratitude, she leapt right over to Mark and gave him a big hug. "Thank you, Mark! Thank you!"

The the other four had to "aww" at that. The whole display was too adorable.

Mark just gave a nervous smile. While he has come to enjoy hugs, he was not at all used to getting so much attention all at once.

Fluttershy, realizing she just hugged Mark in front of everypony, suddenly stopped and broke the hug, her face completely flushed. The other four chuckled a bit seeing how embarrassed she was, but gave her a break and let it go, Rarity giving Fluttershy a subtle wink.

"Well, I believe we have a project to get started with," Rarity announced ambitiously. "We need a cloth capable of slowing the descent of one pegasus filly, and I'll need some help. Shall we begin?"

"I don't know. Sounds like a tough project," Rainbow remarked with skepticism. "It would have to be a pretty well knit cloth to lighten a fall, but still tough enough to handle not being torn apart by strong winds."

"Oh, ye of little faith. You clearly haven't seen Rarity at work. She can do anything when she gets in the zone," Gemini playfully praised his friend, to which Rarity giggled and pulled him in for a soft hug to the side.

"As long as I have all of you to help, I believe I can manage. So let's get to work, darlings!" Rarity cheered and raised her hoof high, and the other five raising theirs and cheering in unison.

Fluttershy cheered with a barely audible "yay".


MUSIC: https://youtu.be/JOY69M6-f5I

All six ponies got busy right away, Rarity taking the lead. She got the sewing machine fired up and chose a fabric to start with, one that she thought would be strong enough to hold. The others were running back and forth, fetching her materials as she worked.

When a good portion of it was made, Rarity tested out its strength thus far by holding it in front of the fan with her magic, and set to the "hurricane" setting, strong wind beating down on it. The six watched with anticipation to see what would happen.

To everypony's disappointment, it ripped right in half. I guess it was back to the drawing board.

Rarity would not give up so easily. For her next attempt, she decided to make it thicker with a higher thread count. The sewing machine went into hyperdrive, and it came out thick and durable.

Trying the fan test again, it worked and held firm. It seemed to be a success. But would it work in practice?

Rarity placed Fluttershy on a scale, seeing her weight, then Rainbow Dash, Halo Grace, abd Gemini Dream got some weights used by Rarity's dad onto the roof of the house, each of them weighing combined as much as Fluttershy.

Attaching the weights to the cloth, they dropped the weights off of the roof to see if their descent would be slowed.

Unfortunately, they dropped just as quickly. Mark sighed. This was going to be a challenge even for one of Rarity's caliber.

Determined to get it right, Rarity started from square one with a different fabric, one that she figured would be able to ride the wind better, making it just like the last one.

Doing the weight test first, Rainbow, Halo, and Gemini drop it off the roof, and this time, the fabric falls down slowly, earning smiles from the six.

Doing the fan test next, their smiles turned once more to disappointed frowns when the cloth tore apart.

It seemed that Rarity was at a loss on what to do here. It would need to be strong enough to pass the wind test, but aerodynamic enough to pass the weight test.

She gave it some thought, while Gemini brought her a freshly peeled and sliced orange. That wasn't meant for the project. She just needed something to eat.

Rarity promptly ate the orange slice by slice, and through the sudden burst of energy, she got a brilliant idea.

Using the two types of fabric she has tried thus far, she intricately sews the two together, working tirelessly to make sure the two reinforce each other instead of conflict and separate.

It took much longer than the first two, but she was finally done. But would it work?

Doing the weight test again, Rainbow and Halo once more knock it off of the roof, and sure enough, it slowly fell to the ground like a parachute.

Now the wind test. The entire group stares with complete attention, waiting for the big moment, and though the wind blasted hard, the cloth didn't tear.

Now it was time for Rarity's favorite part: Decorating! Getting a set of markers, all of the six drew things onto the cloth.

Mark drew a treasure chest, Rainbow Dash a wonderbolt logo, Halo a cherub, Gemini a train, Rarity a diamond, and Fluttershy a bunny.

To finally complete it, each of them wrote their names on it to make it a gift from all of them, so Fluttershy would think of her friends when she used it.

Fluttershy was given her gift, and the group cheered together, bumping their hooves together and leaning back onto the floor and sighing, exhausted, but content with a job well done.

[END OF MUSIC]


Fluttershy, having a strong sense of gratitude, thanked the other five for all the hard work they did, and they joined for one last group hug. They cut it short, however, acknowledging her dislike of being the center of attention.

After putting back the fan and Rarity's dad's weights, and with Fluttershy feeling all better, the six foals were all soon chatting with one another. Mark was speaking with Gemini in the living room, Fluttershy with Rainbow Dash outside, and Rarity was in her bedroom speaking with Halo.

"Gotta say, Mark, I'm surprised you came up with this idea by yourself. It was pretty clever," Said Gemini.

"Well, it was easy to think of, but I owe it to you guys to have made it actually happen," Mark replied modestly. "I honestly really like making things. It's my favorite thing to do besides exploring. This was fun."

"I'm just having fun no matter what I'm doing, as long as I'm doing something with Rarity. That's... how it's always been. We've been friends ever since preschool," Gemini reminisced.

"I remember. You stuck to Rarity like glue. I usually kept to myself and sat alone at lunch, but I always saw you from across the room, wishing I was brave enough to talk to you two," Mark recounted, thinking for a moment of all the fun times he might have missed out on because of his shyness and feeling the pain of regret.

"Yeah. I saw you all the time over there. I know that you were afraid that I'd think you were weird, well, I know that now, but the only thing I ever thought was weird about you was why you were always keeping to yourself. Hey, we're friends now, right? That's what matters," Gemini consoled him, offering him a hoof bump.

"Thanks, buddy," They both said in unison as they bumped hooves.



As the kiss of wind
Before the dawn's light
The morning dew's sparkle
That shone through the night

Your smile is a gift
That never will fade
Divining the light
Of all that is made

"What do you think, Rarity? You think Fluttershy will like it?" Halo asked after reciting her poetry.

"Oh, goodness, yes. It is simply divine," Rarity praised her new pegasus friend's work.

"Thankies. I wanna make sure it's super duper perfect before I share it with Fluttershy," Said Halo spinning around in excitement.

"You sound like you're close to Fluttershy. How long have you known her?" Asked Rarity.

"Oh, she and I have been talking to each other since our first day at camp. I didn't get a lot of time with her after she met Mark. I was wondering where she was going every day, but she's been making time for me and Rainbow Dash now. It's been fantastic," Answered Halo.

"Well, you seem friendly. I'm glad that she's met some ponies who are nice to her after what she's been through. I can't believe her fellow campers would treat her that way," Rarity said, turning her head to express her disapproval.

"I know, right? They're huge meanies!" Halo agreed, stomping her hoof ad hard as she could, but that only being very lightly. "Fluttershy's the bestest best friend a pony could ever ask for. I'd never do anything like that to her."

"I know you wouldn't darling. You're a sweet filly. And you write beautiful poetry, too? How lovely," Said Rarity, holding her hoof to her chest.

"Aw, thanks," Halo said smiling with a little blush. "Gotta say, though. My favorite part of the day was seeing Fluttershy cheered up. Pretty much after Mark showed up, she just completely turned around."

"Oh, did she now?" Rarity asked with a giggle, knowing full well Fluttershy's little secret.

"Yeah, it was like he flipped her switch or something!" Halo joked with a girlish laugh.

"Interesting..." Rarity said aloud, nodding subtly. Don't worry, Fluttershy. I won't tell her. I made you a promise that you're secret's safe with me, and it is.



Meanwhile, Fluttershy was outside, her new parachute cloth over her back, and Rainbow Dash about to confront her on what she thought to be a pressing issue.

"Look, Fluttershy. We need to talk," Rainbow demanded, getting up close to her friend. "I saw the way you got when Mark showed up. Me and Halo were comforting you for almost an hour. Then he comes along and you're fine? What is going on here?"

Fluttershy gulped nervously. "I... I... nothing. I was just... happy to see him, and..."

"Oh. I see how it is. I thought we worked past this, but it looks like he's still your favorite friend, isn't he?" Rainbow lamented, turning the other way.

"No! Wait, Rainbow. It isn't like that, I swear!" Fluttershy shouted out suddenly.

"Then what is it, huh? Why can Mark make you so happy and I... can't?" Rainbow said, looking even more disappointed.

"Because... Well..." Fluttershy's heart was pounding. She could barely breathe. "Do you promise you won't tell anypony?"

"Tell anypony... what?" Rainbow asked, now curiously looking back at her.

"W-Well... I just get happy around Mark, because I... I have a... I... I luh-luh..." Fluttershy stammered.

"What is it? Spit it out, Fluttershy!" Rainbow ordered.

"I like him!" Fluttershy blurted out, immediately covering her mouth with her hoof and thanking Celestia that Mark didn't walk just outside the door to hear that.

"You... you like him? But don't you like me, too? I thought we were friends." Rainbow said, how getting a little mad.

"No no no, I mean... I... I like him... like him... I have a... I have a c-c-cr..."

Fluttershy was barely able to say it, but Rainbow Dash had figured out what she was trying to say, and her jaw dropped in disbelief.

"You... YOU HAVE A CR--" Rainbow was about to shout it out, but Fluttershy rushed and put a hoof over her mouth to silence her.

"Shh shh shh! Keep your voice down!" Fluttershy immediately shushed her friend before she screamed out her secret for all to hear. "If Mark ever found out, I'd die of embarrassment."

Rainbow pulled away, having recovered from her shock. "Does... Does anypony else know?"

"Rarity knows. She found out a couple weeks ago, back when you met Mark. Now my secret is getting out, and I worry how long I'll be able to hide it," Fluttershy confessed, hear eyes tearing up, worrying that soon all of Equestria will know. After being teased by everyone at flight camp today for something like not being able to fly well, she could only imagine the humiliation she would have to endure from this, everypony pointing and laughing at her relentlessly. She would be ruined.

Rainbow wrapped her wing around Fluttershy, pulling her in for a hug. "Wow, that sure explains why you've been acting like this since you met him. Don't worry. I'm not gonna tell."

"Th-Thank you," Fluttershy said as she hugged back.

"You two are pretty similar. You're both total softies. But the good kind. I should have figured you had a crush on him," Rainbow remarked a little playfully.

Fluttershy blushed. "It's... just a little teeny tiny crush. I like how sweet he is to me. He's always thinking about me. But I don't want to say anything. I know he likes me, but I don't know if he likes me likes me."

"Fair enough. I wouldn't know any of that mushy stuff. I don't even like colts yet, but I'm not judging. Nothing wrong with keeping it to yourself for a while. Just go ahead and tell Mark when you're ready," Rainbow said, patting Fluttershy on her back.

"Tell me what?" The voice of Mark was heard when he and Gemini stepped out of Rarity's house.

Fluttershy almost had a heart attack.

"Oh, she wanted to tell you thank you for cheering her up today. You were a big help," Rainbow quickly lied.

Fluttershy took the a deep breath and feigned a smile. That was too close.

The Atlas Files: Entry ♧♧♧C

Our mission a resounding success, our ally's morale has been restored and then some. We have bestowed upon her a specially crafted protective piece of equipment to ensure her safety. The sky was normally at her command. She laughed in the face of gravity, save for one crucial weakness. And now with that weakness conquered, she is all but unstoppable.

By the way, Fluttershy seemed really nervous just to say thank you again. I wonder why. Maybe she's so happy that she's short-circuiting? I see that as proof of today's success!

Author's Note:

The OC introduced in this chapter, Halo Grace, is entirely my creation. I have more planned for her.