• Published 28th Sep 2022
  • 355 Views, 2 Comments

Mark Atlas: Future Explorer! - The Real Mark Atlas



Mark has dreams of being an explorer one day, but his whole life turns upside down when he makes some new friends.

  • ...
1
 2
 355

Chapter 3: The explorer's new partner

Author's Note:

This chapter is pretty tame. Not much to warrant the T rating just yet. This took a long time to make, not because of the chapter length, but due to a long case of writer's block. Hopefully, I can get more out here soon.

Ten days had gone by since Mark and Fluttershy first met. Over the course of this time, the two of them took every opportunity they could to meet up with each other. Fortunately for the two of them, the summer flight camp that Fluttershy was attending provided its schedule a week in advance, so she knew exactly what time she could get a break to pull away and see Mark, and what time to let him know to come.

When Fluttershy didn't have the time to play, he would sometimes go to Rarity's house, helping her mother prepare for the new foal, joining her in shopping for supplies. She also quite often liked having him as her kitchen assistant, the two of them often baking desserts together, which she let him take with him to share with his parents as well as Fluttershy.

Rarity's father had interest in teaching Mark about hoofball, yet that was something Mark wasn't into at all. They did, however, find common ground somewhere else. Hondo was also eager to hear how a colt Mark's age had created such a complex device like a sextant on his own, and Mark shared his design blueprints, which, while crude depictions at best, were fascinating to the stallion nonetheless, and the two channeled their passion for building into modeling, building a model ship over the course of the next week, which Mark promptly hung up in his room.

Rarity herself, meanwhile, he would often help with knitting and sewing projects. After getting her cutie mark, she was constantly being struck with inspiration, new ideas coming to her each and every day. He wasn't sure what exactly he was doing a lot of the time, but she would instruct him every step of the way. The thing he loved most about the experience, however, was a chance to have friendly chats with her while they worked. Through all their talks, they spoke openly with one another, Rarity never laughing at him or turning away from him in disapproval like he once feared she would.

Sometimes, both Fluttershy and Rarity's family were busy, so Mark did spend some of his time exploring like he had done since he had gotten his cutie mark. It was something he still enjoyed doing, even if he did it a little less now to make time for other things. If he found anything interesting, he would take it to show Fluttershy. On a couple occasions, he would even find a sparkling rock or cryatal that he would give to Rarity, much to her pleasure. He knew how much she loved shiny things, and while he usually liked to keep his treasures for himself for memories, seeing her happy was worth it.

He also, of course, spent time with his own parents after coming home, who were all too eager to hear about his day and all the fun he had with his new friends. Him being such a shy young colt, they were delighted to see him coming out of his shell like this.

But all of that paled in comparison to the best part of it all. With Scorch being grounded for an entire month, he never had to worry about that bully raining on his parade. He was free to explore, wander, and do whatever he wished without fear. The feeling of empowerment was almost overwhelming for the colt, like nothing could get him down.

Oh, and Mark made sure to let Scorch's mom know that the sextant was repaired. She was relieved, because she hadn't the foggiest idea of how to go about fixing it herself.

Fluttershy had noticed that Mark had started feeling more confident as the days went by. Each day they spent doing some activity together during one of her breaks, he was less and less nervous and had a better, more optimistic outlook on things. It was a change she enjoyed seeing in him.

The two spent whatever time they had together in the outskirts of Ponyville, looking for and assisting animals. On one day, Mark and Fluttershy found a raccoon that had just recently given birth to a liter of kits, an incredibly rare occurrence in the summer. The two went around collecting berries for her, so she wouldn't have to leave her young unattended.

On another day, they found a turtle whose shell was covered in tree sap, various woodland debris like twigs and leaves stuck to it. The filly and colt worked together to give his shell a good cleaning, picking off everything that was attached, and then polishing it until it shined.

They spent each meet-up like this, and became quite popular among the woodland creatures for all of their help. Fluttershy was a natural with her unusual ability to communicate with them, Mark being thoroughly impressed and astounded by her gift.

Today, Mark was once again helping Rarity sew and bejewel some fabric, having a casual chat with her as usual.

"And so that's why I named the fastest growing blade of grass in Ponyville 'Sadiq'." Mark finished his story while gluing on a green jewel.

"You... You keep track of how fast the grass in Ponyville grows?" Rarity asked with a raised eyebrow, seeming curious.

"Yeah, I do. It's... kinda fun. Hehe..." Mark confirmed, smiling with a hint of embarrassment, but enjoying her company.

Then, Rarity bit her lower lip, a smirk on her face as she snickered, and before Mark knew it, she started pointing and laughing at him. "You look at grass all day because you don't even have anypomy to talk to! You even gave one of them a name! That's so pathetic! Hahaha!"

Mark frowned, his eyes filled with a look of betrayal. "Rarity, why are you laughing at me? I thought we were friends."

"Us? Friends? You're just a weird freak who talks to inanimate objects! You think a pony like me would ever be friends with you? How comical!" She shouted and continued to laugh.

"What..." Mark had tears forming in his eyes now. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. He always worried that Rarity would treat him this way if she ever got to know him, but after they became friends, that fear was put to rest. Then, just when he had hope, she acted like this? Why?

"I wouldn't be caught dead being friends with a freak like you! Now go, before your weirdness rubs off on me!" Rarity ordered, giving a smug, condescending grin.

"But... But I..." Mark stammered and took a step back, bumping into something, after which, he turned and saw that they were Rarity's parents. Both were looking down at him with an angry expression.

"Our daughter doesn't want to be your friend, so you're not welcome here anymore," Cookie Crumbles said, her expression unyieldingly cold.

"Get lost, kid!" Hondo Flanks ordered, him grabbing Mark and throwing him out by the front door, slamming it in front of his face.

Mark then got back up on all fours, so sad that he had lost his new friend. Just at that moment, though, he saw another familiar filly flying not too far from him out of the corner of his eye, seeming to be approaching him.

"Fluttershy! Boy, am I glad to see you!" Mark called out to her, his smile returning to him.

Fluttershy, however, wasn't smiling. She looked unusually angry, and stared at Mark like he had just done something awful. He had never seen her this way before.

"Are... Are you okay, Fluttershy?" Mark asked with worry.

"Don't even talk to me," Fluttershy said, turning her head away. "I just came to tell you that I realized just how much of a freak you are!"

"Wh-What?! Not you, too!" Mark was just barely able to stop himself from crying.

"I mean, just look at you. You walk all over the place, talk to rocks and plants, draw and write about all the pointless stuff you see, and you build dumb little contraptions. It's all really... weird," Fluttershy ranted.

"So... You don't like me?" Mark asked, on tje verge of hyperventilating.

Fluttershy then turned around to face him. "No. I don't like you. In fact, I hate you! And I never want to play with you ever again!" Fluttershy snapped aggressively, Mark being at a loss for words as he felt his heart shattering into a million pieces.

"But... why?" Was all Mark could think to say.

"I said don't talk to me! As far as I'm concerned, we were never friends! Get away from me, loser!" Fluttershy whipped him in the face with her tail, turned around, and flew away, quickly going out of view.

"Fluttershy, wait! I'm sorry! I promise I'll stop being weird! I can change! Please, come back!" He called out to her, but she was long gone. Now he was alone like he always was, and now, probably always will be. Defeated, he sobbed on the ground, tears flowing down his face.

I... I don't want to be all alone. Not again.

MUSIC: https://youtu.be/ZgnrkC39Epo

"Well, well, well, whadda we have heah?" A familiar voice echoed, the space around Mark suddenly becoming dark and empty, and a giant version of Scorch rising up in front of him. "A friendless little twoip all alone, huh?"

S-S-Scorch?! I... I thought you were grounded!" Mark exclaimed with shock as he looked up at the hundred foot tall colt with terror.

"And ya thought ya had friends, too! Like anypony'd evah wanna be ya friend! What a moron!" Scorch said and laughed loudly, his booming voice hurting Mark's ears.

"I... I have friends," Mark said in response, wiping tears out of his eyes.

Scorch then grabbed Mark out of nowhere, trapping Mark in his hoof, bringing hip right up to his face. "Then where ah they, huh?" the giant pony asked him smugly, his teeth now sharp and jagged.

Mark sniffled again, unable to thing of anything to say as he desperately tried to escape Scorch's grip, to no avail.

"Well, if ya have friends, let's see 'em save ya now!" Scorch yelled, opening his mouth and dropping Mark right in, Mark struggling desperately to get out. In one swift motion, Scorch closed his mouth and swallowed Mark.

"Fluttershy! Rarity! Come back! Pleeeeease!" Mark screamed as loud as he could, begging that somepony would rescue him, but nopony ever did. He just kept falling down into a seemingly endless dark void of nothing.

[END OF MUSIC]


Mark awoke with a loud gasp, his breathing heavily and his heart pounding. Examining himself and his surroundings, he found that he was safely in his bed, and a look at his calendar showed it was indeed ten days since the day he met Fluttershy, just as he had thought.

Just a nightmare. Just a nightmare. The young colt repeated to himself in his head, wrapping himself in his blanket and burying his face in it for comfort, taking a minute to recover from the shock his night terror inflicted on him.

I should have known that my friends wouldn't say such awful things to me. But... what if I mess up somehow for real, and they don't want to be my friends anymore? I'll go back to being lonely, no-friend Mark. No! Stop thinking that! They wouldn't do that! They're always good to you! Now go out there and have fun with them today!

Mark took the time to assure himself, trying to get these doubts out of his head. Once he had breakfast and told his parents that he was heading out to see Fluttershy, Mark left his home to their usual spot. After such a rude awakening this morning, he was looking forward to some time with her.

Today, however, that things were going to go a little differently than usual. Fluttershy, who definitely still wanted to be friends with him (he once again was glad it was just a nightmare), informed him that because of an incident at summer flight camp with a few stray thunderclouds, the camp and all its flight courses and equipment were damaged and scattered. Thankfully, nopony was hurt, but because it would take a full two days to repair, all campers had two days of nothing flight related to do. Some foals went back to their families to wait out this period, while others kept themselves busy with other camp activities they were hosting in the meantime.

For Fluttershy, this meant that she could spend a lot of time on the ground with Mark, far more time than she had been afforded before. They had the whole day and tomorrow to do whatever they wanted with no interruption.

So Mark was greatly surprised to see what she proposed they do.



"You... You really wanna go exploring with me?" Mark asked Fluttershy to confirm what she said, with wide, sparkling eyes, and just about the biggest smile on his face imaginable.

"Yes," Fluttershy confirmed, nodding and smiling lightly. "You see, we always do what I want to do whenever we meet up. I know you like helping me with the animals, but still, I'd like to do your favorite thing for a change." Her cheeks became a rosy pink.

"Aww, Fluttershy!" Mark exclaimed with more ecstasy than he ever thought possible. This morning, he was so scared that he would make some awful mistake and lose Fluttershy as a friend, only to find out that she cared so much about him and what he likes doing, that she wanted to join him in it. That touched his very soul.

"So... is that a yes?" Fluttershy asked him.

At this point, tears were forming in Mark's eyes from both joy and relief, and he dove right towards Fluttershy, wrapping his hooves around her for a massive hug. "Thank you, Fluttershy! Thank you so so so so so so SO much! You're the best friend a pony could ever ask for!" He said as he just let himself cry while hugging her.

"Ugh... Mark?" Fluttershy said while wheezing, making Mark realize that his earth pony strength was causing him to hug her too tightly.

"Sorry!" He said as he quickly broke the hug, letting her breathe again. "I didn't mean to hurt you! It's just, I, well, it means so much that you, you know, want to, and I got carried away, and..."

Fluttershy stopped him mid-sentence by giving him a playful little boop on his snoot. This immediately made him stop and he stared at her briefly.

"Thanks, Fluttershy," He said, calming down and chuckling a bit. See? I'm worrying too much. Look how happy she is to be with me!

"You're welcome, Mark," Fluttershy assured him. "So, will you lead, then?"

"You bet! Let's do this!" Mark shouted cheerfully, raising his hoof to the air. "Mark Atlas, Master Explorer, and his new partner, Fluttershy, bound for their first team adventure!"

"Yay," Fluttershy cheered quietly.


The two young foals wandered off beyond the wooded area where they had normally met, and delved into territory that Mark had yet to map out, many trees, bushes, stumps, rocks, and fallen logs spread across the landscape. Mark led the way, and Fluttershy followed steadily behind.

The Atlas Files: Entry ◇◇♤A

When I say that I'm exploring unknown territory, I typically mean that in the literal sense, but in this case, now exploring with a partner for the first time, I can simultaneously say that in the metaphorical sense. That's, like, psychologically profound or something. Granted, Fluttershy still has much to learn when it comes to exploring, but I will do my part to show her the ropes. With my help, she'll be a pro in no time! Okay, maybe I got a bit too ambitious there. Let's not get carried away, buddy. Don't thrust this on her all at once. Best to introduce her to the basics first, nice and steady.

"Here, Fluttershy, take these," Mark said, giving her his binoculars.

"Oh? What for?" Fluttershy asked, holding them in her hooves.

"Rule one of exploring: Always make sure you know where you are, and where you're going," Mark explained, taking out a map with a lot of blank, empty space still left on it. "You can use these to spot objects that stick out, ones that are easy to recognize. We call these 'landmarks'. If you're at a landmark and know where it is, then by extention, you can know where you are."

She's asking questions already! She must really be interested!

"Oh. Okay. That makes sense," Fluttershy said, sounding unsure or concerned, as she looked through the binoculars.

Oh no. Now he knows that I don't even know the first rule of exploring! So much for a good first impression!

"Um... I think I see a few things, but they're really, really far away. I don't know if we'll be able to make it that far."

"I... think you're looking through the wrong end," Mark guessed, looking back at her to confirm his theory.

This seems all too familiar, doesn't it?

Fluttershy immediately flipped the binoculars over. "Oh. Um... I knew that," She said while blushing and smiling bashfully.

Great. Now you look ridiculous in front of him! Way to go, Klutzershy!

"It's a common mistake. I... I made it the day we met," Mark admitted, sharing Fluttershy's expression and rubbing his leg. I can't believe I just told her that! I was too embarrassed to even keep that in my journal! Maybe it was because I wanted to make her feel better? "Well, Fluttershy? See anything now?"

Fluttershy looked through them again. Seeing a lot more clearly through the proper end, she saw numerous trees and bushes, but none of them stood out, each looking more or less like any other, until her gaze came to a peculiar rock. "Oh. What about that rock shaped like a gourd? Is that a landmark?" Fluttershy asked, pointing over to it.

"I bet it is," Mark said, heading in the direction of the rock. "Let's go over and inspect it."

Mark came face-to-face with the rock that Fluttershy spotted, and found that it did, in fact, look completely different than any other rock in the area. "Well, I believe we have ourselves a proper landmark! Good job, Fluttershy! You must be a natural!" Mark congratulated his friend, making her smile.

"You're... You're right! I'm a naturally gifted explorer!" Fluttershy declared excitedly with a look of pride, her head held high and her chest even puffed out.

At least I have to make him think I am. If I don't, he won't want to play with me anymore.

Wow! I thought she would be modest and say something like, "I don't know about that, but thank you for the compliment." I like it. It's great seeing her this way. Maybe my praise made her feel confident in herself? Oh, I think I just found the perfect way to build her up!

"So, Fluttershy, my gifted and talented new partner, since you've found a landmark, let's keep track of where it is." Mark set his map down on a nearby tree stump, writing down with the charcoal stick in his mouth. "This is a great way to show you about my specialty in exploring: Cartography!"

Oh, here it comes! I can't wait to teach her!

"Car... Carta what?" Fluttershy asked, sounding puzzled, as she seemed to cringe slightly upon asking.

Stop asking questions! He's going to see right through you!

Mark noticed, but didn't think much of it. "Cartography," He stated once more. "It's the art of making maps.

"Oooohh," Fluttershy uttered in understanding.

"You see, Fluttershy, making maps is my field of expertise. It allows me to navigate with ease, but I also just love doing it for its own sake. Being able to map out an area allows you to... understand it better. The more I explore, and the more I record, the more I grasp the meaning, the purpose, and the design of the world around me. The more it feels like... like home." Mark continued to explain his passions of exploring, looking a little embarrassed, but watching Fluttershy's expression the whole time to gauge her reaction, and seeing that she's paying very close attention.

She likes it! She really does!

"Hm... I never thought of that." Fluttershy rubbed her chin curiously with her hoof, though Mark could almost swear that she was trembling.

There's so much more depth to this than I ever could have thought! What have I gotten myself into?!

"And when I felt that for the first time, that's when I got this." Mark said, while turning and showing his cutie mark. "I know. It's kind of corny, right? Feeling some sort of intimacy with my surroundings because I draw them on some paper?" Mark blushed and chuckled nervously, only looking at Fluttershy lightly now, being shy about sharing something so personal.

"I think it's wonderful," Fluttershy affirmed him. "You have just as much passion for exploring and making maps as I have for taking care of animals. I like that about you."

Mark's blush grew deeper red and his smile grew wider from flattery. "Oh, gosh. Fluttershy, you're too kind, really. Thank you."

"You're welcome," Fluttershy replied with a warm smile.

I just told her the my most personal feelings and passions, and she doesn't think it's weird or lame at all! I should have known better than to doubt her! She would never be mean to me like in that nightmare!

Now look at what I've done. I made him so happy, but he's only happy because he thinks I understand his passions for exploring the way he does. There's no way I'll be able to understand them as much as he thinks I do.

"Okay, next order of business, we draw our landmark and fill it into the map. While I'm at it, I'll draw a few key features of the surrounding area for good measure. Anytime we see this rock, we can never be lost," Mark explained his process as he drew out his map. Fluttershy watched, seeming enthused, though her wings gave a nervous twitch.

"So... what exactly is the goal when you explore?" Fluttershy asked, cringing again.

Why can't you stop asking questions?! He's going to find out you don't know anything!

There it is again. Is she nervous? Mark thought to himself. "Fluttershy, are you okay?"

"Uh huh! I'm fine! Perfectly fine!" Fluttershy blurted out with a quick nod, her response instantaneous.

See? He's onto you!

Mark didn't fully believe her, but decided to let it go, and proceeded to answer her question. "Well, uh anyway, I always like to find treasure when I go out exploring. It could be anything, really. Just something to remember the exploration by."

"Oh, okay. That makes sense," Fluttershy replied and nodded politely.

"One more thing," Mark added, folding up his now expanded map and approaching the gourd shaped rock. "Now, I don't know if this is something that all explorers do, or if it's just me, but I like to name my landmarks. So, Fluttershy, since you found this one, how about I give you the honor of naming it?"

Fluttershy wiped her forehead, a drop of sweat flying off.

Why does she look so relieved?

Finally, something easy!

"Oh, you want me to name it?" Fluttershy asked, putting her hoof to her chin. "I think I'll call this rock... Jimmy."

"That's a great name, Fluttershy!" Mark exclaimed, his face beaming, and Fluttershy meekly smiled in return.

It doesn't have a lot of pizzazz, but why miss out in the chance to build up her-self confidence?

Whew. I did something right for once.

Mark proceeded to write down Jimmy's location on the map, drawing a smiley face on it and Fluttershy's cutie mark next to it. "And there we have it! Anytime we see Jimmy, we'll know where we are! So, shall we proceed Fluttershy? We have plenty more to do," Mark said, beckoning her with a hoof to move forward and follow him."

"Okay. I'll go wherever you go, Mark," Fluttershy replied, sounding fairly cheerful, though her smile looked a tad nervous.

It's working! I just need to flatter her, and she'll want to explore all the time! See? That nightmare you had last night couldn'tbe further from the truth!

Okay, Fluttershy. Just keep smiling. He has some very high expectations of you. Don't disappoint him. You don't want that nightmare from last night coming true.


Bidding Jimmy farewell for now, Mark and Fluttershy continued down through the woods. They passed by several trees, bushes, and other plants, as well as a few rocks. Mark filled in the map as he went, and Fluttershy looked out for landmarks with his binoculars.

"Hmm... All these trees look the same," Mark said, him pointing at the trees, each one being literal copies of the same flash asset. "It's going to be hard to tell one from another on a map."

"I'm sure we'll find something if we keep looking," Fluttershy said, sounding hopeful.

Oh, wow. She's so optimistic now!

"That's the spirit, Fluttershy!" Mark congratulated her for her good attitude.

I really have no idea what we'll find, but he seems convinced that we will. I guess he'll know it when we see it.

Mark looked around at the trees once more, and leaned in towards Fluttershy as they walked. "Between you and me, I talk to the trees sometimes. I'm tempted to ask one of them for directions, but wild trees aren't good for that." He said to her.

"You... can talk to trees?" Fluttershy pondered aloud in confusion. "What do they say?"

"It all depends on their personality," Mark explained, getting closer to whisper quietly. "But talk to wild trees at your own risk. If you talk to them too long, they'll start giving you targeted ads."

"What... What are those?" Fluttershy asked, now even more confused.

"Uh, that's... well, it's hard to explain. Just hope it doesn't happen, because it's really annoying," Mark said while marching on ahead.

"Oh... Okay," Fluttershy replied, not exactly satisfied with the answer, but deciding to proceed in the search for landmarks. As fate would have it, something came into view through the binoculars at that very moment. It appeared to be an opening in the trees with something green behind it.

"I found something! I found something!" Fluttershy shouted, pointing a hoof over to it and now picking up speed to lead the way.

"W-Wait for me!" Mark shouted back as he followed her.

Gosh, I might have a hard time keeping up with her if this continues!

Finally, another chance to prove myself to him! I have to make sure I don't mess this one up!

When the two got past a pair of tree branches, it revealed a large expanse of tall grass, grass so tall that it could hide either of them. It seemed to stretch out a long way out from the trees behind them.

The Atlas Files: Entry ◇◇♤B

With my new partner by my side, this expedition has gone swimmingly thus far. Not wind, nor rain, nor domestic spyware can stop us now! Surely, we will find our treasure! No treasure worth getting ever comes without effort, however, and I find that a new obstacle awaits us. A dense cluster of vegetation sprawls out into the distance ahead. It's a practical jungle of foliage. We would easily become lost, and if I'm not home in time for dinner, well, Celestia have mercy on my malnourished body and tortured soul. We must devise a strategy as to avert this outcome.

"Alright, Fluttershy. The terrain ahead is unforgiving," Mark said to her, playing up the situation from his excitement. "It would be inexpedient to traverse without prudence."

"Um... What?" Fluttershy asked, completely lost.

Mark blushed, realizing that he got carried away so much that Fluttershy couldn't possibly understand him, and he looked off to the side. "Oh, well, the grass. We should probably be careful, you know? So we don't get lost? Hehehe..."

"Ooooohh! I get it!" Fluttershy exclaimed, the both of them smiling awkwardly.

Alright, that was embarrassing.

Alright, that was confusing.

"An explorer should always be prepared with the right gear for this situation. Unfortunately, I don't get that much on allowance, and box tops take forever to collect, so we'll have to improvise. Luckily, I know just the thing that can help us here. You!" Mark proclaimed, pointing his hoof at her.

"M-Me? What about me?" Fluttershy asked with a slight stammer.

"You can fly," Mark pointed out. "You can stay above the grass to make sure I don't lose my way. Think you can manage?"

"Okay. I think I can do it," Fluttershy said, bearing a serious expression as she nodded.

I'm amazed! She accepted the responsibility on the spot! She's just oozing confidence now!

I just know I'm going to ruin this somehow, but Mark is really counting on me. If I let him down, he'll probbaly be so disappointed in me, and he won't want to play with me anymore!

"Good. I'll wade through the grass, and I'll keep talking so you can hear my voice. You can let me know if I'm accidentally veering off course. Let's see if we can get to the other side," Said Mark, sharing his plan.

"Okay, Mark." Fluttershy agreed and tried to flap her wings, but they just wouldn't budge. The pressure of not wanting to disappoint Mark was starting to get to her.

Come on, wings! Not now!

"Fluttershy... Are you okay?" Mark asked, tiltong his head and noticing her struggle to open up her wings.

"Well... I... I..." Fluttershy stammered as she felt trapped.

I can't fly, but I can't tell him that! I have to think of something!

"Ow! My wing! I think I'm getting a... Ow... wing cramp! I can't fly! I... I'm sorry, Mark," Fluttershy put on the best act she could, hoping Mark would believe her.

"Oh no! Are you gonna be okay?" Mark expressed concern, fully buying into it and looking at her wings himself.

They seem fine to me, but I don't know a lot of pegasi, so it's not like I would know what a cramped wing looks like. And she sure sounds like she's in pain.

"I... I'll be fine," Fluttershy replied, making one last fake painful wail to sell the act. "But... I can't fly. I guess... I guess we have to head back, then. I'm sorry, Mark."

Whew! That was close!

"Don't lose heart yet, Fluttershy! The big rule of explorers is to never give up! I'll think of something," Mark declared, taking a step towards the tall grass to examine it.

Great. Now I still have to keep going, AND I sound like a quitter.

Mark plucked a single piece of grass from that patch up ahead, and then brought out a ruler, measuring it and himself. "Okay, Fluttershy, I have a plan. According to my measurements, the grass is almost twice my height. We can go into the grass together. If I need to check if we're veering off course, can you stand on my back and tell me which way the sun is? I can figure out which way we're going if I know where the sun is."

Fluttershy gulped nervously. "O-Okay. I-I'll try."

Mark ventured into the tall grass, the reluctant Fluttershy sticking to him like glue. Sure enough, she was able to stand on his back, seeing the sun over the tall grass and guiding him through.

All the while, Mark kept talking, even saying his next journal entry out loud.

"The Atlas Files: Entry ◇◇♤C"

"Through my trusted partner's assistance, we have managed to concoct a sufficient tactical approach to crossing these forbidden lands, despite her unexpected injury. As I go forward, completley blind to what lies ahead, my new ally protects me from the magical forces conspiring against me. Surely, without a guide, my mind would be lost to the jungle, forever forced to wander it as a monster, but now, I tread with certainty that I'm safe."

Fluttershy gulped nervously. "Um... Wh-What's this about losing your mind and t-turning into a m-monster?" She asked with growing concern.

"Oh, no, no, no, Fluttershy, I was just saying that to be more dramatic," Mark said, shaking his hoof dismissively, realizing he may have gone overboard again. "When I became a famous explorer one day, I want to make sure that these entries are fun for ponies to read."

"Oh, I get it. That makes sense." Fluttershy said, breathing a sigh of relief.

She really does think you're weird, doesn't she? Wait, no! Get that idea out of your head! You know that isn't true!

It turns out he was just being himself. I hope I didn't insult his creativity.

After the two had their exchange, Mark had emerged at the other side of the grass, and sneezing at a few bits of stray pollen that got on his mane.

"Bless you," said Fluttershy.

"Thanks. And also thanks for helping me," replied Mark, who came in to give her a hug, though showing restraint and trying to be gentle with her this time.

"Y-You're welcome, M-Mark," Fluttershy replied, smiling lightly and making a cute squee sound.

She's amazing at this! She really is!

I've impressed him! I really have!

After a little while, he broke the hug. "Keep up the good work, Fluttershy!"

All at once, Fluttershy's smile disappeared.

"Are... Are you okay, Fluttershy?" Mark asked her.

Was it something I said? I was just praising her.

Now he has expectations for me! I don't know which is worse!

Fluttershy shook her head. "I'm fine! I'm fine!"

"Oh... Okay, then." Mark replied, still not believing her, but decided to give her the benefit of the doubt.

The two ponies turned to face the plains beyond the tall grass. There was a ton of open space in front of them, many trees off in the distance ahead of them in several directions. Mark and Fluttershy resumed their travels, Fluttershy looking through the binoculars once more.

"Well, it looks like there isn't much out here, but I'm not giving up. There's got to be something out here," Mark commented.

"Wait! I think I see something!" Fluttershy exclaimed, rising up on her hind legs to get a closer look. "It looks like a really big tree. It looks different from the others."

"A different kind of tree?" Mark wondered, having seen a lot of trees in his day, rarely finding one that seemed to stand out. Pulling out the sextant from his bag, he used the attached telescope and pointed in the direction prompted by Fluttershy, measuring out the distance based on his knowledge of Ponyville's height above sea level. "Hey! I see it! And from my calculations, we can make it in no time at all if we hurry. I'll bet you anything that we'll locate our treasure at that tree! What do you say, Fluttershy? Wanna go for it?"

Fluttershy nodded and went back on all fours, returning to walking beside him and following the course to their newfound destination.

A tree. That sounds nice and safe.

A tree different from all the others! That sounds exciting!


The two marched on ahead. Mark moved some tree branches aside that blocked their path, holding Fluttershy's hoof as they moved through some bushes.

The two were on course just fine for a while, but then an obstacle reared its head before them. Ahead stood a small ledge, just a little bit too high for them to climb up, even if they stacked on top of each other.

"Hmmm... This may be a problem," Mark said aloud with a hoof to his chin. He looked in the surrounding area for a potential way to work around this. The ledge had too steep an incline to go up on hoof, and it didn't look like there was any way to climb up. However, with a thorough examination, he found that there was a small cavern entrance at both the top and the bottom of the ledge.

"Bingo!" Mark exclaimed. "Look, Fluttershy! The cave there! I bet it comes out on the other side. We can get up that way."

"Th-Through the... c-c-cave?" Fluttershy suddenly felt like she was sweating bullets, trembling at the sight of the cave's entrance consuming the light into the narrow, dark passage within, and a feeling of dread loomed over her.

Not a cave! Anything but that! Who knows what kind of monsters could be in there? I've got to think of something else!

"I... I... Um... Maybe I can fly up and help you up the ledge? A-And then we won't need to go into the cave," Fluttershy proposed.

"But isn't your wing cramped up?" Mark asked, taking another look at it.

"It... It got better," Fluttershy lied.

I don't know if I even can fly! I'm too nervous! But anything is worth not having to go in there! Anything!

"If you just got it cramped before, shouldn't you give it a rest?" Mark asked, though still not seeing anything wrong with her wing. "You need to be able to make it back to flight camp later. You shouldn't work your wings too hard."

"But... But... I'm fine! I promise!" Fluttershy insisted.

"Your wing was cramping so hard that you couldn't fly at all before, but now you're fine?" Mark asked, something about this not adding up to him.

Oh no. He's got me now! If I say I'm not fine, he's going to take us into the cave, but if I say I am fine, then he'll know I was lying! What do I do?

Fluttershy's heart was pounding trying to think of something to say. Mark, meanwhile, noticed her growing anxiety.

"Fluttershy... What's wrong?"

Fluttershy stood silent for a bit, Mark looking at her with his full attention, but before he could even react, Fluttershy turned around, running away as fast as she could and crying.

"Fluttershy, wait!" Mark shouted, only being able to lift a hoof before she had left him.

Oh no... My nightmare...

Suddenly, visions of Mark's nightmare came rushing back to him. He still remembers the feeling of his heart breaking like shattered glass as Fluttershy said she didn't want anything to do with him.

It's happening... It's actually happening... She doesn't want to be my friend anymore... I'm going to be all alone again.

Mark felt tears welling up in his eyes, his worst fear coming to life right before his very eyes. His head was hung low, wondering what he was ever going to do now. He had been alone and friendless before, but now he knows what he had been missing all this time. Now that he learned what it feels like to have friends, it just seemed impossible for the young colt to forget.

When suddenly, his ears perked up, noticing a sound coming from the direction that Fluttershy ran. It was definitely her, and it sounded like she was still crying.

Why is she crying? Didn't she want to get away from me? I thought she would be happy.

Curious, Mark trotted over, following the where the sound was coming from. Sure enough, he found Fluttershy there sitting under a tree and sobbing.

This is... just like me when we first met. I know what I have to do.

Mark went right up to Fluttershy and gently pet her mane, just like she did to him to comfort him when he was crying the day they met.

"There, there. Please don't cry. It's okay," He said, remembering her exact words.

Fluttershy gasped when she felt his touch, but continued to cry. It looked like she was trying to say something, but she was crying too much to be able to speak.

Thinking of something, Mark opened his bag and took out something from inside. It was a snickerdoodle cookie, made by Rarity's mom. He was saving it for the end to celebrate a successful exploration with her, but he figured it might help her calm down just enough for her to explain what's going on.

Mark offered her the cookie right up to her. "Would you like a cookie? Rarity's mom made it."

Unfortunately, while Fluttershy was surprised by the sudden offer, she just was too distressed to accept it. Mark sighed, figuring at least it was worth a try.

But then out of nowhere, Fluttershy's stomach started to growl, and both of them immediately took notice. Fluttershy's crying softened up and she smiled lightly. Though tears were still in her eyes, she let out a soft, embarrassed giggle as she blushed.

"I... I guess I could use a cookie," Fluttershy confessed, and she finally accepted it from Mark.

"Hehe. I know you do, silly. Your tummy said so!" Mark teased, making her blush and giggle even more.

That first bite into the cookie made her wings flap right open in delight, and she was immediately scarfing down bite after bite.

The Atlas Files: Entry ◇◇♤C
Observation noted. If a pegasus flaps their wings open, that means your cookies are delicious.

Fluttershy finished the last gulp of the cookie with a satisfied sigh, feeling a lot better now and no longer crying.

Now she finally had calmed down, Mark took his chance to ask her what he needed to. "Now, Fluttershy. I've noticed you've been acting strange all day. Is something the matter? You can tell me. I won't be upset with you. Not even a little tiny bit," He assured her, placing a hood on her shoulder for comfort and giving her a soft, genuine smile.

Fluttershy wiped the tears out of her eyes and sniffled one last time. Her muzzle was still a little runny, so Mark gave her a tissue from his bag.

"Well... I'll tell you. You promise you won't be mad?" She asked him, still sounding worried.

"I promise," He said with a nod.

"Okay. Mark, I... I lied to you. My wing was never cramped up." Fluttershy admitted, looking to the side and hiding behind her mane out of guilt.

"It wasn't? Well, why did you say it was?" Mark asked, puzzled trying to piece the situation together.

Fluttershy played with her own mane a little from how nervous she was admitting everything to him. "The truth is... I was too nervous to fly."

"Nervous? Why?"

"Because I was worried about disappointing you."

"Disappointing me? Why would you be worried about that?"

"Because... I really don't know anything about exploring. I wanted you to think I was a good explorer, because if you didn't, I thought you wouldn't want to explore with me anymore," She explained, letting out another sniffle as she was holding back from crying again. "We always do what I want to do every day. We never get to do what you want to do. So I wanted to be fair and explore with you for a change. But if you didn't want to do that with me, we'd just go back to doing what I want to do every day. And I was worried that would make you not want to be friends with me anymore."

Mark stood and remained silent for a bit, Fluttershy watching and waiting for a reaction. And then, in just a split second, he spread out his hooves and wrapped her in a soft, comforting hug, making her yelp in surprise. That wasn't sure what kind of reaction she would get, but that was nowhere near her first guess.

"Oh, Fluttershy. I don't care if you're a good or a bad explorer. I just like spending time with you. You're my friend, and you always will be," Mark said during the hug.

"You... You mean it?"

Mark still held her in his hooves and looked her in the eye. "I do. And besides, ponies aren't always good at something right away. That's why I was teaching you what I knew. And it's why I was praising you for your good work while we were exploring, to make you more confident in yourself. But now I kind of see all of that praise just made it worse. It made you think that I had expectations of you that you had to meet, and that made you worried about disappointing me even more, didn't it?" His head and ears went down a little as he asked.

Fluttershy reacted the same way, head and ears down. "A little. And I was worried because I didn't want to go in the cave. It looked really scary. But I didn't want you to think I was afraid, because explorers aren't supposed to give up. I wanted to force myself to be able to fly so I wouldn't have to, but if I did, you'd know I was lying to you about my wing. I didn't know what to say, so..."

"So that's why you ran off," Mark said, putting her story together.

Fluttershy stopped looking and strengthened her hug. "I still want to go exploring with you. Just please, don't make me go in the cave! I'm scared of the dark!" She pleaded.

"Don't worry. We don't have to. I'm sure there's a way we can get there without going through the cave," Mark said while hugging her back.

"Thank you, Mark. I think I might be able to fly, now that I'm not so ner--" Fluttershy said while breaking the hug, before being interrupted by Mark's stomach growling.

"Oops. Uh... I guess we should probably eat first." Mark said while blushing as he gave an embarrassed laugh, and Fluttershy giggled with her hooves over her mouth.

Thankfully, Mark had saved more cookies in his bag, so the two stopped to eat.


After a satisfying picnic lunch, and with plenty of snickerdoodles in their bellies, the two young ponies felt energized enough to take on this exploration once more.

When both of them were ready to begin, Mark stood up and looked back at Fluttershy. "Alright, new recruit! Front and center!" He yelled out, pointing a hoof in front of him.

MUSIC: https://youtu.be/fp03bJ_afdY

"Yes, sir!" Fluttershy said aloud with a smile as she played along, getting in front of him and saluting.

"Listen up! This is the deal," Mark said, turning his head and walking from side to side. "This exploration isn't over yet! We still have a treasure to to find, and we're not gonna stop until we locate it! You're still new to this scene, but I can't do it without you. Can I count on you?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Good. I will have you take point, and I will fill in the map behind us. Let's go and find us a treasure, and we'll make this adventure one to remember!" Mark shouted and raised his hoof to the sky.

"Yay."

The Atlas Files: Entry ◇◇♤D

With our mission back on track, my new partner and I boldly venture back once more into the unknown. The Tree of Great Secrets is still out there, and it falls on us to discover what mysteries it holds, and we shall do anything short of battle cave monsters to find it. What sorts of surprises await us? We will soon find out.

Mark and Fluttershy made their way back to the ledge, and Fluttershy, no longer too nervous to use her wings, flew up to the top. From there, she rolled a log over and down the ledge, making a staircase for him to climb up. Having his view expanded from being higher up, Mark filled in his map and went on ahead.

Marching on, the two later found that there was a slope downward, smooth enough to slide down. They went to the pluck leaves from nearby trees, and dropped them right down into a pile, then sliding down for a soft landing.

After that, the two were almost there, the tree they saw before just on the other side of a small creek. Looking for a way to cross, they found a few stones above the water that they could use, but the closest one wasn't close enough to jump to. Finding another big rock next to the creek, the two worked together to push it into the creek, making the last stepping stone needed. Mark hopped from stone to stone over the bridge, and looked like so much fun that Fluttershy did the same instead of flying over.

[END OF MUSIC]

"Look! It's here! We made it! We really made it! And it's all thanks to you!" Mark cheered as he hopped in the air excitedly.

"I see why you like doing this so much. This was actually really fun. Thanks for letting me go with you," said Fluttershy.

"No, thank you for coming! It really means a lot that you care about what I like doing and wanted to join me," said Mark, giving Fluttershy a hoof bump. "But we're not done yet. Let's check out this tree."

"Mhm." Fluttershy nodded and went along with him. Going to examine the tree, it seemed larger and shaped differently than the others. What's more, there seemed to be a path inside, almost like a doorway.

"Take a look, Fluttershy! The inside of the tree is hollow! It's like a house in here!" Declared Mark, looking about the interior. "There isn't much in here, but it looks like it was carved out a long time ago."

"You think maybe some ponies used to live here?" Asked Fluttershy.

"I bet that's it. But it looks like nopony is here anymore," Mark took a look around, seeing that besides the dirt and discarded bark spread about on the floor, there was a window carved out on the wall, as well as a staircase to a second floor.

Suddenly, a light bulb went off above Mark's head. "I know! Fluttershy, why don't we make this tree into a clubhouse for the two of us?"

Fluttershy beamed. "A clubhouse? Just for us to play together? I love this idea! We could meet here every day."

"Now that I have a map that leads here, and know where I'm meant to be going, I can get here a lot faster," said Mark, looking over his map. The directions to get here were clear and simple.

"It's still a bit messy inside this tree, though," Fluttershy noted, seeing that the place would need quite a bit of work before it was a proper clubhouse. "Would you like to try tidying it up tomorrow? I have another day off at flight camp."

"Of course! Fluttershy, thank you! We'll make this place the best clubhouse ever!" Mark declared with thrill in his voice, until he observed the lighting outside, the sun being close to the west.

"Oh, gosh! Is it already getting late? I'd better get home. My mom and dad are going to be worried about me if I stay here much longer."

"I should go, too. The ponies at flight camp are going to wonder where I am." Fluttershy said in mutual agreement. The two stepped out of the tree interior and back into the light.

"This has been a good day, Mark. I had so much fun," said Fluttershy, tapping the ground with her hooves. "I was worried so much that you wouldn't want to be my friend anymore if I wasn't a good explorer, all because of this nightmare I had last night, but I should have known better than to think you'd do that."

Mark's eyes widened. "You had a nightmare like that last night, too?! That's what made me worry that you wouldn't want to be my friend anymore! But... it was really silly of me to think that. You wouldn't be mean to me like you did in that nightmare. We should have just spoken up and told each other from the start."

"I will next time if you will," Fluttershy offered, shaking hooves with Mark.

"You got a deal!" Mark agreed. "See you here tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow," replied Fluttershy. "Well, I'd better get going. But... just one thing first."

"Huh? Something wrong, Fluttershy?" Asked Mark.

"No, nothing's wrong. It's just... you've been such a good friend. Before I go, I just... I want to tell you how much you mean to me." Said Fluttershy, blushing and hiding her face behind her mane.

"Oh? Well... sure, I suppose." Said Mark, puzzled and not sure where this was going.

Then, Fluttershy stepped forward towards Mark and began to sing a song: https://youtu.be/dmrEtPnicYE

The song brought a joyful tear to Mark's eye, touched by her soothing voice. Mark always loved hearing her sing.

And with that, the two exchanged one last hug, waved their goodbyes, and Fluttershy hovered up to the clouds above, while Mark set out for home, satisfied with another successful exploration and a day of spending time doing what he loved most with his dear friend. Walking back over the horizon on a course for Ponyville, he thought of his final journal entry for the day.

The Atlas Files: Entry ◇◇♤E

Being a solo explorer ever since I got my cutie mark, I never imagined that exploring with a partner would be so fulfilling. Is this what it's like in the Equestrian Exploration Comittee? I think I could get used to that. Of course, out of all the ponies I could have an adventure with, I'm glad that I could say that my friend Fluttershy was my first. We didn't find a treasure we could take home with us, but I think this is even better. We've found a place we can meet every day to spend time with each other. Making my first friend really was the best thing that's ever happened to me. Things are happening that I couldn't even have imagined. And I get to experience it every day from here on out. See you tomorrow, Fluttershy.