• Published 28th Sep 2022
  • 355 Views, 2 Comments

Mark Atlas: Future Explorer! - The Real Mark Atlas



Mark has dreams of being an explorer one day, but his whole life turns upside down when he makes some new friends.

  • ...
1
 2
 355

Chapter 7: The mark of an earth pony

Author's Note:

The following chapter contains Adorable scenes of a child playing with a baby, and an existential/identity crisis. What a contrast, right?

Mark's first week of school went better than he could ever have imagined. The incident on his first day had made him quite popular, and Scorch couldn't have been more annoyed. He began helping a couple of his classmates with subjects that were giving them trouble.

Speaking of Scorch, getting a week's worth of detention meant less time having to watch out for him, which meant more time for Mark and Fluttershy to spend together after class. Fluttershy met him in front of the schoolhouse soon after they both were dismissed.

On Tuesday, Fluttershy and Mark went to the clubhouse they had made last summer, cleaning up the place a but to make sure it was in good shape, and going out to play with the animals. Of course, Fluttershy felt the need to challenge Mark to another round of "bunny attack". She had a title to uphold, after all. He lost, and he liked it.

On Wednesday, Gemini and Rarity joined them, the four spending time at Rarity's house and all baking a cake together, Rarity's mom finally getting some downtime from preparing for the new foal on the way. Mark would have invited Applejack, but she got detention for lying anout her assignments to Mrs. Iris (who made good on her word to not be lenient woth her next time), so Mark made sure to save some cake for her.

On Thursday, Rainbow Dash and Halo grace came by with Fluttershy, Rarity, Gemini, and Applejack joining with them as well, the seven ponies going to the park. Enjoying himself noisily with such a big friend group was exhausting for the introverted colt, so as soon as he got back home, he tired out and fell asleep without even having dinner. Still, he was glad he spent the day that way.

Over the week, Applejack had been getting along fairly well with Mark over the past week, even though Rarity and Gemini still wanted little to do with her. She still lied once in a while, but she started to confess more and also apologize afterwards. Even when she lied to Mark, he would simply give her a hug and forgive her, just like that.

When Friday rolled around, Mark was filled with excitement, knowing his playdate with Fluttershy was tomorrow. But it just wasn't her. This time, Fluttershy's little brother was coming, too. Mark had never met him before, and wondered what he could be like, taking everything she's said about him and trying to put it all into one mental picture.

Lost in thought after class was dismissed, Mark was surprised when a felt a hoof tapping on his shoulder. He snapped back into his senses and turned his head, revealing it to be Applejack.

"Uh, beg yer pardon, Mark? Ah hope ah ain't botherin' ya," Said Applejack, realizing that she might have interrupted him. He was supposed to be a really heavy thinker. For all she knew, he could have been doing an 8-digit multiplication in his head, and she just made him lose track.

"Oh, no worries, Applejack. I was just thinking about... uh... stuff. It's not important," Mark answered, being too shy to say what he was actually thinking about. "So, what's up?"

"Well, Ah just wanted to thank ya fer bein' so nice to me, even after the way I treated ya back on Monday, and for puttin' up with me all the time," Answered Applejack, her face down to the floor. "Ah don't deserve ya forgivin' me."

"Forgiveness isn't supposed to be given because a pony deserves it. It's supposed to be given because it's the right thing to do. I'll always forgive you, even if you make mistakes from time to time," Mark assured her.

"Aw, shucks, Mark. Yer too kind, really. Ah really gotta thank ya properly. Mah granny's makin' apple fritters today. Ya wanna come on over and have some with me?" Applejack offered.

The very mention of apple fritters made Mark's stomach growl. His mom enjoyed making sweets for Mark to cheer him up, having a love for apple treats in particular, all made from apples from the farm Applejack lived at. He had gotten quite a taste for them, so some fritters straight from the source sounded pretty good right about now.

"Really? Sure, Applejack! I'd love to come!" Mark accepted, springing up out of his seat. "Can Fluttershy come too, please? I bet she'd like some apple fritters, too. If your Granny has enough, of course."

"Uh... sure. Granny said she's fine with it," Applejack said, giving a nervous smile.

"Really? You've told your granny about Applejack?" Mark asked, his curiosity piqued about what her family thinks about her new friends.

"Um.... Well... Uh... Alright. Ya got me. Ah didn't really ask if it was alright with her. Ah'm sorry," Applejack responded, shaking her head. "Ah just wanted ya ta come with me."

Mark smiled and gave Applejack a hug. "It's okay. I forgive you. Thanks for telling me the truth. I know you're trying."

Applejack hugged him back in return. "And thanks fer not bein' hard on me. Ah may not have asked Granny, but ah'm sure she would wanna mah new friends. Most she could do is say no. Whatta ya say?"

"I say, why not?" Mark answered confidently.



With that, Mark and Applejack went outside of the schoolhouse, looking for Gemini and Rarity to see if they would be interested in tagging along, and found them just outside by the front door.

"Hey, Gemini. Hey, Rarity. I'm going with Applejack to Sweet Apple Acres. You guys wanna come? Her Granny's got apple fritters," He singsongs that last part, trying to sell them on the idea.

In response, Rarity expressed a look of disappointment. "Sorry, darling, but I planned to go with Gemini to his guitar practice."

"Yeah. We've been having a lot of fun this week, but I've got to get that song ready for the talent show. I'm going to be working on it all this weekend," Gemini answered, also seeming a little bummed to leave Mark hanging for a weekend, even if they had spent time together all week. "You'll be fine without me, won't you?"

"Ah, it's okay. I'll be fine," Mark replied, dismissing his friend's reservations. "Don't worry about it. You need to get your music ready for the big show. I'm sure Fluttershy, Rainbow, and Halo would all love to go with me, anyway. I'll see you on Monday, buddy."

"Thanks. Glad you understand," Said Gemini with a polite nod. "We're still on for adding the stripes and varnish to that Horsifera replica, right?"

"Wouldn't miss it," Answred Mark, nodding back in agreement. "See you, Gem. See you, Rare."


Mark waited outside the schoolhouse for just a while longer with Applejack, hoping that Fluttershy and her friends from Cloudsdale would show up, and a short time later, the two saw a couple of pegasus illies flying down.

Making the landing, he saw that it was just Rainbow Dash and Halo Grace, Fluttershy not with them.

"Hi, Rainbow. Hi, Halo. Where's Fluttershy?" Mark greeted and asked.

"Sorry, Mark, but Fluttershy won't be able to come with you, today, and sorry to say, but neither can we," Rainbow said regrettably.

"What?! But... But why?" Asked Mark, saddened by this sudden change of plans.

"Fluttershy has a last-minute doctor appointment. Some mean bully in her class pushed an eraser into her ear, and now it's... stuck," Halo explained, cringing at the thought of how that must feel.

Mark sadness changed from being caused by disappointment and more of concern. "That's horrible! How could anypony do that to her?!"

"I know! I can't believe it! It's just evil the way some ponies treat her. Have they no heart? How can you look at Fluttershy and not see something precious to be protected, much less harm her yourself? It's just..." Halo went off, having tears forming in her eyes as she spoke, before taking a deep breath. "She's... in a lot of pain."

"Land sakes! She gonna be alright?" Applejack asked with worried shock.

"She should be, but she needs us to support her," Rainbow answered.

"But she sent us here first to tell you she can't come play with you today, Mark. She didn't want you to wonder where she was and worry about her," Halo added.

Well, Mark was worried about her, but still touched that even with all the pain she was going through, she cared so about how her absence would affect him.

"I understand. You two go help her. She needs you."

Having said their farewells, the two pegasus foals went to make the flight back, leaving Mark and Applejack alone.

"I... I guess... it's just us, then," Mark lamented. He had just come to realize that he had never gone a day without seeing Fluttershy since they met. This would be the first time.

"Ah'm sorry, Mark. Ah know it ain't gonna be the same for ya without her, but maybe we can have some fun together today," Said Applejack, consoling her new friend.

"I'd like that, Applejack. Thank you," Answered Mark, figuring that since the situation wasn't going to change, he might as well try and make the best out of it.

Who knows? Maybe some time with just Applejack would be a nice change of pace for me.

"Yer welcome. Now let's get goin'," Said Applejack, leading the way to Sweet Apple Acres and Mark Following steadily behind her.


After traveling through Ponyville, Mark and Applejack had reached the farm, its massive expanse of apple trees coming into view, stretching as far as the eye could see. It being early fall at the time, some of the leaves were starting to change color already, green mixing with orange.

Mark had been to the orchard on occasion for some peace and quiet before he met Fluttershy, but it had been a long time since he had done that. Seeing this sight again for the first time in a while, Mark took in a breath of the fresh, clean air, and talked quietly his next journal entry to himself.

"The Atlas Files: Entry ♧◇◇A."

"After what seemed as if countless moons, I return once more to this place I have relied on for solace and seclusion. A sanctuary where I had once experienced the tranquility of nature, it was like a second home to me, yet I had never gotten the pleasure of being acquainted with the guardian spirits of this land. This changed today, when one of them beckoned me from the mist, promising me a feast of legendary delicacies. I must be a fool to trust her, some might say, given her notorious record of deception, and yet, I would like to believe that we have since developed a deep attachment that transcends such things. Confident in her word, and my hunger reaching desperate levels, I proceed to her abode."

Applejack, meanwhile, listened to him with both curiosity and confusion, not following up with any of what she could hear. "Uh... Beg pardon, Mark, but... what are ya talkin' about?"

Mark's was was flushed, only now realizing he was talking out loud. "Oh, uh, nothing. Never mind. Just some, random... explorer thing I do. Just don't think too much about it," He laughed nervously, hoping she would just forget what she heard.

"Um... Alright then?" Applejack didn't know what to make of it, but decided not to comment on it.

Following the path, Applejack led Mark through the farm and to her house. Mark had never been this far deep into the area, but occasionally saw parts of the house and the adjacent barn from a distance.

Sure, now that he's seeing it all at once, it seems like just an ordinary farmhouse, but Mark still reacted with amazement and wonder, as if he was looking at a lost treasure trove. It didn't matter to Mark whether something was a rusty piece of aluminum, or a solid gold magical artifact. To him, something new was just that, something new.

"Wow! So cool!" Mark exclaimed as stars flashed and bounced in his eyes. At this rate, a day away from Fluttershy didn't seem so bad.

"Impressed already? Why don't ya come on inside, then? I'll introduce ya to mah family," Applejack offered. She was a little confused by Mark's reaction. She loved living here, especially ever since she got her cutie mark, but she saw it all as normal by now. Maybe... he just really likes the place as much as she does?

Stepping up to the farmhouse, Applejack opened up the door, the two foals stepping inside. It seemed ordinary on the inside as well, the living room furnished, carpeted, and surpringly well kempt.

"Granny, Big Mac, ah'm home! And ah brought a friend!" Applejack called out, nopony seeming to be in the room.

"You? Bringin' a friend home? Now ah know that's a lie. What kinda fool do ya think I--" A colt said while walking into the room, pausing as he saw Mark next to Applejack. He was an older colt, about middle-school age, red with a short orange mane and tail, and a cutie mark being half an apple.

When he recovered from the initial shock, he stared at Mark with bewilderment, making Mark a little embarrassed.

"Well, ah'll be. Guess there's a first time fer everything," The colt remarked.

"Mark, this is mah brother, Big Macintosh. He's alright... When he ain't bein' a pain," Applejack joked (sort of) while poking a hoof onto her brother's chest, him reacting with an agitated look.

"Big Mac, this is Mark. He's that colt ah was tellin' ya about. The one that stood up fer me. See? I wasn't fibbin'," Applejack said, that last part being quite smug.

"Alright, alright, I'll admit it, ya got me. Ah was wrong," Big Mac said while shaking his head, then turning to address Mark. "Well, ah wanna give ya a big thanks fer standin' up fer mah li'l sister when nopony else would. That was mighty nice and brave of ya."

"Aw, it was nothing, really," Mark said with a blush, flattered from the praise. "I just didn't want to see her be bullied the way I was, you know?"

"Well, ah still appreciate it. Yer a good kid," Said Big Mac, raising a hoof to offer a hoofshake.

"You're welcome," Mark replied, shaking hooves with him. Up close, Mark took notice of just how well, big, Big Macintosh really was. He was unusually tall, even for a colt his age. His body was extraordinarily fit, too. With his muscle mass, he could easily crush Mark's hoof right now if he wanted to. Good thing he seemed like a nice enough guy, but Mark would definitely never want to get on his bad side.

"Now how about we get Granny out here ta introduce ya?" Big Mac offered and ending the hookshake.

"Oh, sure. Of course," Mark agreed without hesitation. "I've never met her before."

"Hey, Granny! Get on in here! We got company!" Big Mac called out to the other room.

"Ya don't have ta holler, Big Mac! Ah ain't that hard a' hearin' yet!" An raspy voice shouted back from another room.

After hearing the ruslting sound of pots, pans, and other objects, slowly stepping inside the living room was an elderly mare with a green coat, a white mane, and an apple pie cutie mark.

Also, in this mare's hoof was a small baby earth pony, probably a few months old from the looks of her. Her coat was yellow and her mane was a berry red. She was also wearing a white cloth diaper, as well as a large, pink bow in her mane. The infant foal was also babbling and cooing while squirming around in the mare's hooves.

Mark's eyes snapped open at the sight, and he dashed right up to the mare holding the little foal, giving a full, wide-toothed smile.

"Awwwwww! She's so cute! Applejack, is this your baby sister?!" Mark basically squealed with excitement, after which the baby filly grabbed a hold of his head with her forehooves.

Not letting go, she held on tightly to Mark, leaning closer towards his face until he was sent falling backwards.

Applejack and the others were all startled at first, but their concerns were quickly alleviated when they saw Mark on his back, the filly squirming around on top of him as he laughed uncontrollably underneath.

"I like you, too! Aaagh! You got me! Hey, easy! Watch the glasses!" Mark said amidst his laughter.

"Eh... Either of ya mind tellin' me who thhis little feller here is? Can't recall seein' 'im," The elderly mare noted, her mind drawing a blank as she wondered whether or not her memory was starting to slip.

"Oh, well Granny, this is Mark Atlas. He's that new friend ah told ya about. Mark, this is Granny Smith. And that's my baby sister, Applebloom. They--" Applejack was cut off by Mark bursting into laughter again.

"Hahahaha! Granny Smith, Applebloom, got it!" Mark could barely get his words out with Applebloom muffling them as she wiggled about on his face.

"Maybe... let's just let 'em play fer a bit? Applebloom sure seems to like 'im," Suggested Granny Smith.

"Yeah, let him get it outta 'is system," Big Mac agreed, Applejack nodding along.


Several minutes having passed, Applejack and Big Mac came back to check on Mark. Granny Smith had been in her rocking chair, watching him and Applebloom playing together.

When the two came in, what they saw was Mark and their sister sitting on the floor, Mark making silly faces and raspberry noises at her while she laughed and pounded her hooves.

"Now ah've just about seen it all. Didn't know Mark was such a softie," Applejack remarked.

"Never seen Applebloom so happy before, either. He's good at keepin' her entertained, that's fer sure," Big Mac said, weighing in himself.

Mark was having so much fun playing with Applebloom, he had forgotten what Applejack had said about having apple fritters, when a sudden rumbling in his tummy reminded him.

"My my, all that playin' made ya build up an appetite, youngin?" Granny Smith asked, getting Mark's attention.

"Hehe. Yeah. Applejack said you make some pretty good apple fritters. Hope she's right," Mark said while Applebloom tugged on his foreleg.

"Ah make the best apple fritters ye'll ever have, sonny! Ya bet yer sweet caboose Applejack's right!" Granny Smith proclaimed. "Gosh, now there's a sentence ah never thought I'd say! Heheheeee..."

Applejack just groaned at that statement.

"And sorry if I got too carried away with Applebloom. I guess the part of me that wished I had a little brother or sister of my own... kinda slipped out," Mark said, laughing bashfully.

"Aw, nonsense, sugar. You can come an' play with little Applebloom anytime ya want! Look how much she likes ya," Granny Smith answered, pointing a hoof at Applebloom, who was nuzzling Mark affectionately.

"Really? I can just come over anytime? Thanks, Granny Smith," Mark said before nuzzling Applebloom back.

"Well, those apple fritters are gonna take some time to make. How 'bout ya help Big Mac and Applejack with their chores in the meantime?" Granny Smith proposed.

"Oh, sure. Why not? We can get them done faster that way," Mark agreed, getting up on all fours and patting Applebloom on the head. "I guess I'll be seeing you in a bit, huh, Bloomy?"

Applebloom whimpered a little, not wanting him to leave just yet.

"Aw, don't worry. We shouldn't be gone long," Said Mark while ruffling her mane. "We'll play some more soon."


After leaving the farmhouse, Mark, Applejack, and Big Mac all found themselves in the orchard, several of the trees around them having that light autumn tint, and a few stray leaves were on the ground.

The Atlas Files: Entry ♧◇◇B

After entering the dwelling place of the guardian spirits, the youngest one of them had formed a deep attachment to me, affecting me with some sort of ethereal link. Now that our souls are seemingly connected, it causes her displeasure for me to leave her presence. Alas, despite this, I had to depart, for the others had called upon me for an important task. I must not fail them.

Mark had popped out his journal and written such inside after his previous entry, which he had forgotten to do before.

"Alright, Mark. Let's see if we can get this all done by the time Granny's done bakin'," Big Mac said while stretching his hind legs.

"Sure yer up for it?" Asked Applejack, who was doing more or less the same.

"I think so. What exactly are we doing?" Asked Mark, observing the two and noticing their leg stretches.

"We're buckin' the trees, harvestin' whatever apples are left from the summer," Answered Big Mac, kicking a tree and getting whatever few apples were left on it to fall.

"You're... what?!" Mark asked in astonishment and tapped his hooves nervously.

"It's fall now. They're gonna go bad if we don't pick 'em off soon," Applejack noted, proceeding to kick a tree and knock off its apples as well. "There shouldn't be too many left."

Mark was starting to sweat as his eyes darted back and forth, the Apple siblings noticing his tension.

"Somethin' the matter, Mark? Ya look like ya've seen a ghost or somethin'," Applejack pointed out.

"I... uh... uh... I gotta get ready. I'll... see you momentarily," Mark said before running off in the opposite direction.

Before he could get away, Big Mac grabbed a hold of Mark's tail with his mouth, yanking him back, and he yelped as he was reeled back.

"Now hold up just a second, Mark. As soon as we mentioned buckin' the trees, ya just lost it and want to run off? What is goin' on here?" Big Mac asked with a growing suspicion.

"Really. Really, nothings going on," Mark insisted as he shook his head.

"Ah've been around Applejack long enough to know when somepony's hidin', somethin'. Mark, if somethin's botherin' ya, go ahead and tell me and mah sis. We ain't judgin'," Big Mac assured him, Applejack nodding in agreement

Mark then looked up at Big Mac, grumbling and whining softly. "W-Well... I'm not really good with physical work. I probably couldn't even hit the trees hard enough, and you'll just laugh at me."

"Aw, shucks. Is that all? Ya got nothin' to worry about. We ain't gonna laugh at ya. 'Sides, the apples fall off real easy this time a' year," Said Applejack, kicking another tree lightly this time to show him, to which a few apples fell off.

"You sure you won't laugh?" Mark asked, still feeling doubtful, but more so in his abilities.

"We ain't gonna laugh. We promise," Pledged Big Mac, holding his hoof to his chest. "Now go ahead and show us what ya got. How bad could ya be?"

"Well, okay... Here goes," Said Mark as he went up to a tree. This one looked pretty easy to get. Almost all the apples in it were gone, only a few remaining, hanging by a thread. These apples managed to be the rare ones that didn't fall off in upon being harvested or ripened to juicy perfection.

Before he prepared for the deed he was tasked with, Mark held the tree in his forehooves in a gentle hug. "I'm sorry, my wooden companion. I know that you and your kin have offered me many a good conversation in the past with your witty remarks and interesting comebacks, so forgive me for what I'm going to do," Mark whispered to the tree.

"Uh... sis? Is yer friend... right in the head?" Big Mac asked.

"Ah... Ah thought Granny was the only one that talked to the trees. Maybe... there's a point to it after all? Ah really don't know the reasons for half the stuff Mark does," Applejack answred with a shrug.

Mark then winded up his hind legs, and with slight trepidation at first, kicked the tree with all the strength he could muster.

Looking back at the tree to see if his efforts were (quite literally) fruitful, he was met with the unfortunate reality when he saw that not a single apple fell off.

"I knew it. See? I'm just not good enough," Said Mark, giving a sigh and hanging his head down with folded ears.

"Sure ya are, Mark. Ya just need ta keep tryin'. Ah wasn't able ta get it on mah first try, either," Big Mac admitted.

"But you're huge. You're big and strong, and I'm, well... puny," Said Mark, still looking at the ground shamefully.

"Ya don't gotta be big like me. Yer an earth pony, just like us. Strength is in all of us. It's all a matter a' bringin' it out," Imparted Big Mac.

"Honestly... I wish I had been born a unicorn or a pegasus. I can't grow things. I can't tap into my strength, or find my affinity for the earth. I'm an embarrassment to our kind. I'm... ashamed to be an earth pony sometimes," Mark expressed sorrowfully as he lightly kicked the dirt.

"Mark, don't talk like that!" Demanded Applejack, stepping up towards him and bringing him eye to eye. "Yer an earth pony. It's the way you were born. That ain't nothin' ta be ashamed of. Ah was hidin' from who ah was meant before ah got my cutie mark, but ah know what ah'm meant to be now. Yer bein' an earth pony ain't no different."

"Our nature as earth ponies is somethin' we all oughta bear with honor. There ain't nothin' to be gained from havin' shame in that," Asserted Big Mac, lifting up Mark's chin and meeting him eye-to-eye. "Give 'er another try. You can do it."

Mark sniffled some more as he looked up at Applejack's brother, more conflicted than he could remember. He wasn't sure which was worse, his shame of being an earth pony, or the shame of being ashamed. But he couldn't deny the fact that Big Mac was right. He shouldn't think like that. This is the way he is and always will be. He could spend the rest of his life shying away from it, or hold it with dignity.

"O-Okay. I-I'll give it another try," Said Mark, inhaling deeply through his muzzle and puffing up his chest, approaching the tree once more.

Mark took a deep breath, preparing himself for what he was about to do. His earth pony strength was in there somewhere, and determined to bring it out, he wound up his hind legs, thrusting them backward with all his might.

The tree didn't even shake in the slightest, but Mark kicked again, slamming repeatedly into the tree. Unfortunately, each kick was just as ineffective, if not more so, than the last, and with each one, Mark got more tired and more discouraged.

After about twenty or so failed kicks, Mark eventually gave up when he was too tired to do any more, and he lied down on the ground. "But I... I tried so hard! I... I'm still not good enough!" Feeling utterly defeated and hopeless, Mark couldn't help but cry loudly as he lied there.

Big Mac came over and tried to help him up, but Mark wasn't cooperating. "Ah, c'mon Mark. Ya need ta get a hold a' yerself."

"For what? I'm obviously a pathetic excuse for an earth pony if I can't even do this!" Mark whined, raising his glasses to his forehead and planting his face in the ground as he sobbed.

"Mark, it ain't the end of the world if ya can't get it right away. Please, get up," Applejack pleaded.

"I don't want to get up. I just want to be a decent earth pony, but I'm not! I'm just not! Waaaaahhh!" Mark sobbed and screamed, his voice a little muffled from being face-down on the ground.

"Ah, fer pony's sake, Mark! Just get up. Yer actin' like a baby," Ordered Big Mac.

Mark still just kept sobbing with tears flowing down his face like two gushing waterfalls. "I might as well. I bet even Applebloom could do better than me!"

"Please, Mark. Can ya wait fer a bit to catch yer breath and try again. Please?" Applejack continued her pleading.

"No. I'm never gonna try it again! You're better off asking Applebloom for help! I'm useless!" Mark shouted out as he bawled.

Both Applejack and Big Macintosh looked at each other. Not sure what to do about Mark's predicament, they both give each other an understanding nod and turn back to the house.

"Granny oughta know what to do," Said Big Mac.

"Ah sure hope so," Applejack added, sounding uncertain, but still optimistic.


The two Apple siblings made their way back inside the farmhouse, where they saw Granny preparing the apple fritters.

"Well, y'all sure didn't take long. Ah'll still be needin' more time b'fore them apple fritters are done. Ah got little Bloom down fer a nap," Said Granny Smith, moving her pan partially in the wood burning oven back and forth.

"Well, we ain't exactly done, Granny. We're bumpin' into a bit a' trouble an' figured ya could help us," Said Applejack.

"Really? What's the matter? And where's that other feller that Applebloom's taken a likin' to so much?" Their granny asked them.

"About that, Granny. That's why we're here. He couldn't make any of the apples fall, no matter how hard he tried. He just got tuckered out and gave up tryin', and now he's just out there cryin' and feelin' sorry fer 'imself," Big Mac explained to her.

Granny Smith watched the oven, not looking at the two, but still listening to them. "Ah see. We got ourselves another tough case, ain't that right?"

Big Mac turned his gaze away, adrift in thought. "Yeah. Ah remember when ah was around his age. Couldn't handle it, either. Always wantin' to call it quits. Ah know what it's like to try yer best and fail."

"Ah never could get why ya'd have any trouble with that. You were twice Mark's size when you were his age," Applejack recounted.

Granny Smith laughed. "You kidding? When it came to buckin', Mackie here had a block that seemed gosh darn unshakable. The buckin' block, a real pest fer sure. More clingy than a honey coated thistle."

"Ah had no idea. Course, ah was pretty young when Big Mac started buckin," Said Applejack.

Big Mac gave a sigh. "It ain't somethin' ah'm proud of, but ah thought ah'd never be cut out to be a farm pony."

"So... What made ya get past the, uh... block?" Asked Applejack.

"It ain't the size of the pony that matters. It's all about the heart the pony puts in the work. Even a colt as big as ah was couldn't get a tree to buck when ah was givin' it all ah got. That's 'cause mah legs were in it, but mah heart just wasn't," Big Mac reminisced, his memory from several years ago all coming back to him as if they just happened.

"That little feller Mark might not be as big as ya, but he's got a big heart. I saw it when 'e was playin' with Applebloom. He's just gotta find a way ta put that heart into what he's doin'. Then 'is earth pony strength'll come springin' out like snakes in a can. Just needs the right motivation," Said Granny Smith, her eyes on the oven as she adjusted the apple fritters baking inside.

Applejack's ears raised, and she gasped. "Wait a minute! Ah think Mark's already found it!"

"What ya mean, sis?" Asked Big Mac, curious as to what her sister meant.

"Well, ah was talkin' with Mark's other friend yesterday, Fluttershy's her name, and she told me somethin'," Said Applejack, proceeding with her story with Big Mac listening closely.

"One day last summer, Mark accidentally almost choked 'er. He was so happy that she offered to go explorin' with 'im, that he hugged 'er so hard she couldn't even breathe. Fella didn't mean it. He was just excited. She said 'e's real strong. He just ain't aware of it. And that's not all. Ah've seen the way 'e talks to 'imself. Ah can't understand a lotta what 'e was sayin, but ah know 'e's got a big imagination. Ah think ah just figured out how Mark can work 'is earth pony strength like us!"


Having established a plan, Applejack and Big Mac headed back into the orchard where they were last with Mark. Sure enough, he was there, still on the ground, but making a lot less noise than before, as he had since tired himself out from crying so hard. Still, thoughts raced through his mind, never giving him a chance to truly rest.

Earth ponies are supposed to have a natural affinity for the earth, but all I can do is observe and chart it. If I can't have a true connection with the earth beyond a mere observer, how can I even call myself an earth pony? And if I'm not an earth pony, what even am I? Was I born wrong? Was my very existence a mistake?

"Alright, Mac. Ah think ah can handle this," Applejack assured her brother, stepping forward to approach Mark.

Mark heard the two nearby without needing to get up, knowing their voices and the sound of their hoofsteps.

"It... It's okay, Applejack. I'm just going to go home," Mark said lifting his face up slightly, trying to pick himself up off of the ground to stand up on his legs, but falling back down. He just didn't have the strength to get back on his hooves.

Instead of helping him up, Applejack crouched down and talked to him from his side.

"Mark... Ah want ya to listen ta me. Ah'm gonna tell ya somethin', and ah want ya to imagine it, y'hear? Just go with it."

"Mmm hmm..." Was all Mark could say.

Applejack moved down closer to whisper in his ear.

"Imagine this. Fluttershy's been missin' fer weeks. Ya've been worried outta yer mind for 'er. Then, she shows up, and she's crawlin' on the ground. She can't walk anymore. She hasn't eaten in a long time. She's gonna starve ta death if she doesn't eat somethin' real soon. She needs ya ta get those apples off the tree for 'er. She needs ya, Mark!"

MUSIC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHEXVRpuUqk

Instantly, Mark's ears raised. He lifted his head, and stood up on all four of his hooves, wiping the tears off of his face and bore a determined expression.

"Let's get those apples... for Fluttershy," Mark said aloud.

Big Mac was left in shock seeing Mark's attitude change so quickly, and watched intently to see what would happen next.

Mark looked up at the tree that gave him trouble before, swung around a full 180 degrees in one swift motion, and then kicked back with full force.

A loud WHAM could be heard as contact was made, but still, not a single apple fell.

Not giving up, Mark came at it from a different angle and kicked again, and again, and again. Nothing happened, and he fell to the ground just like before.

Getting up and catching his breath, he dusted the dirt off of himself, shook his head, and prepared for another try.

Applejack and Big Mac had a job to do themselves, so they got to work, looking back at him between harvesting from each tree and watching his progress.

Different angles not working, Mark got back from the tree, charging at it with a running start.

"For Fluttershyyyyyyy!!!" Mark yelled as he turned around swiftly and kicked, the momentum of his sprint carrying him.

The impact made his hooves tremble, but the only thing that fell was himself.

Applejack had to look away during the crash, but was relieved to see Mark still fine, and even getting up again.

The running start plan a bust, Mark continued backing one spot in rapid fire succession, his hooves striking it like a jackhammer. "Relinquish your fruits, or face my furyyyyyy!!!" Mark yelled at the tree again, his efforts still not paying off, and he simply fell once more once he became exhausted.

Applejack and Big Mac were starting to worry that we was going to push himself too hard. They saw Mark struggle to get up this time, but despite it all, he still got up to try again. Even though he was gasping for breath, Applejack had never seen him look so serious.

"I'm... not... giving... uuuupppp!!!" Mark shouted at the sky, making a variety of martial art poses and doing a spinning kick into the tree, getting stunned and plummeting to the ground.

After getting up again, he struck it repeatedly with his forehooves like it was a punching bag, several crashing and slamming sounds were heard, but his strikes slowed down when he ran out of energy.

Mark's panting now, turned around, and unleashed another onslaught of kicks, alternating between his front hooves and back ones when they got tired, Applejack and Big Mac in awe that he was still going at it.

Mark still not getting a single apple to fall, he took a familiar stance, putting his forehooves into position.

"Ka... me... ha... me... HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" Mark screamed to the top of his lungs as he fired a wave of energy at the tree, demolishing it and leaving nothing left in its wake.

Unfortunately for him, this isn't that kind of fanfic, so it only happened in his head.

Mark was growing discouraged again. It seemed like nothing he did worked, no matter how hard he tried. He had just knelt to the ground when the image of Fluttershy came to mind. Starving, weak, and helpless, all she had the strength to do was raise a hoof up.

"Mark... Please keep trying... I need you..."

Mark's teeth were clenching from the thoughts welling up inside of him. He couldn't let Fluttershy down.

In a burst of adrenaline, Mark sprang right back up, running back over to the tree and gazing upon the apple above, his eye on the prize.

"Enough of this! You're mine!" Mark proclaimed. Holding still for a moment, he closed his eyes, and took a few deep breaths. He felt the energy build up in his forelegs, rise up through his body, and into his hind legs and flanks.

Applejack and Big Mac were just about to move to another tree when they saw Mark, noticing his concentration.

"Come on, Mark," Applejack whispered to herself.

Big Mac gave a confident nod.

And in a flash, Mark's hooves were slamming into the tree, as if it all happened in but a single frame. The tree shook and the impact made an echo throughout the entire orchard that scared away the nearby birds.

Then, every single apple left in the tree fell at the same time, Mark's face beaming as he saw a couple of them roll in front of him, and checked back at the tree to make sure this was for real.

"Mark! Ya did it! Ya really did it!" Applejack cheered as she ran up to Mark, grabbing him and spinning him around for a hug.

Mark almost lost his glasses as he was spun, his head reeling for a moment.

"I... I did! I did it all by myself!" Mark shouted as he shook Applejack back and forth excitedly in his hooves.

Now bursting with motivation, Mark snapped back into action.

If I did it once...

He went to another tree, bucking it and knocking its fruit down just like his first. Eventually, he was getting tree after tree in succession, the three ponies all clearing out the orchard at a breakneck pace.

When the baskets were all full of apples, the three lay down face-first on the grass, lying up at the sky and taking a sigh of relief, pleased with their hard work.

[END OF MUSIC]


Later, Mark, Applejack, Big Mac, and Applebloom are all in the living room, each with a plate full of apple fritters, except for Applebloom, who wss in a high chair with a bowl of applesauce. Granny Smith sat down and watched, with a platter full of even more fritters.

Mark, being absolutely famished from his prior bucking, wolfed them down rapidly, moaning contently from their sweet flavor as he did, and Applebloom clopped her hooves in her high chair as she watched.

"Woo! Mark's chowin' down even more n' Big Mac," Noted Applejack, eating up the fritters on her own plate.

"Little fella's got a big appetite. And comin' from me, that's really sayin' somethin'," Big Mac agreed, watching the fritters on his plate disappear.

Granny Smith took a scoop of fritters and dumped them onto Mark's plate for a refill. "There. Eat as much as ya like, little 'un. Ya earned it fair and square. Ain't easy getting past the buckin' block."

"Oh! Thanks, Granny Smith! These are really good!" Mark ate them just as quickly as the first plate, finishing them off with swift gulps and ending with another empty plate. "Buuurrrrppp! Hehe. Excuse me. May I have more, please?"

"More?! Already?! Ya gotta be kiddin' me!" Applejack exclaimed in astonishment. "Sure ya ain't gonna explode?"

"Ah, ponyfeathers. He's a growin' colt. Have yer fill, Mark," Said Granny Smith, refilling his plate once again.

"Thanks again, Granny Smith. You're amazing," Said Mark, digging into them right away and getting another fritter down in one bite.

"She sure is. She's the founder of Ponyville, believe it or not," Said Big Mac, who had now finished a plate of his own.

"Ah, yes. I remember. Ponyville was founded from the migration caused by demand for zap apples, a rare fruit that could only be found here, and only within its season, which was a highly limited time frame, adding to their sought after status," Mark replied, repeating his memorized knowledge of history class as he watched Granny refill Applejack and Big Mac's plates. "So that was you, Granny Smith?"

"Sure as sugar was. And ah still can bake like ah used ta back then," Boasted Granny Smith, her hip cracking a little as she walked, before she shook and it snapped back into place. "Well... ah may not run as fast. Hehe..."

With yet another plate down, Mark was finally done. He lied down contently, patting his full belly. "Aaahhh... That really hit the spot."

"Finally. Thought ya'd never get full," Said Applejack, surprised that he could eat so much at his size. She could swear that he must have eaten twice his body weight in fritters by now.

At this point, Applebloom was squirming in her high chair, and she started whining and moving her hooves, motioning to her out.

"Awww, ah think little Bloom wants ya again," Granny Smith guessed, wiping Applebloom's face clean. She then lifted the young foal out high chair and placing her on the floor beside him.

Applebloom crawled over and snuggled with him sweetly as he lied down, babbling nothing discernable.

"Hehe. C'mere, Bloomy," Mark said, wrapping a hoof around her. "You know, even if you're not my little sister, I'll still come over to play with you. I know Fluttershy's going to like you, too."

Applebloom giggled and drooled as she hugged Mark while he ruffled her mane playfully.

The Atlas Files: Chapter ♧◇◇C

The guardian spirits had entrusted me with a task so daunting, that even an explorer as great as I had a difficulty with it. I had almost given into despair when the one that invited me had concocted a plan to improve my resolve. Reversing the temporal singularity between the auxiliary points of the tangible and imaginatory dominion, she created a conjunction of the two planes, resulting in a metaphysical visual aide. And she was worried that ponies at school won't think she's smart! Ha, I say!

This adventure had proven to be a worthwhile one, not because of this hardship, but explicitly because of it, as in completion of this task, I had finally come to unlock my connection to the earth itself. No longer will I shy away from my true nature as an earth pony. At times, I worried I wasn't capable of honoring my heritage, but those days are now paseed. So it is now with pride and honor that I call myself an earth pony.

PS: Applejack has a baby sister, and she's adorable. The apple fritters were great, but if she wanted me to come, she really should have just led with that.

PPS: Oops. I forgot. I almost shattered the illusion. Just ignore this until I get the eraser.