• ...
5
 20
 1,043

Chapter 11) The Forge of Nidavellir

Back with the group of Rainbow Dash, Zipp Storm, and Sparky Sparkeroni, their pod was on its way to Nidavellir, while Sparky was on to something very important.

"I am Sparky" he said irritably.

"You can pee in the cup, we don't look" Zipp complains, from the capsule controls "What is there to see? Scales? Everyone has seen scales”.

"I am Sparky" he said, still irritated.

"Dragon, empty the cup into space and do it again in the cup" Rainbow Dash said, while looking out the window, thinking about her things

That comment surprised Zipp… as she couldn't believe that Rainbow Dash could 'understand' Sparky.

"Do you speak dragon?"

"Yes, in Asgard they taught it" Rainbow Dash answered "It was optional...".

I am Sparky?” Sparky asked Rainbow Dash, knowing that she could understand him.

“You'll know when we're close. The Forge of Nidavellir harnesses the searing power of a star" Rainbow Dash replied, before sighing wistfully “It is where my hammer was born. It's amazing…”

Zipp turns to see Rainbow Dash sitting sadly by the window and sighs.

"Okay, it's time to play captain..."

As she gets up from her seat and maintains the pod's controls with another console near Rainbow Dash, Zipp decides to take the opportunity to talk to her.

"So... your dead sister, huh?" Zipp said "Yeah, that can be a bummer..."

Sighing and figuring out what Zipp was up to, Rainbow Dash lowered her head... because thinking about Lightning Dust reminded her of everything else she'd lost.

"She had already been dead" Rainbow Dash said "But no, this could be real..."

“And you said that your sister and your father…?"

"Both dead".

“But, do you still have a mother?”

"She was killed by a dark elf".

"Your best friend?"

"They stabbed her..."

With that information, Zipp decided to ask a serious question.

“Are you sure you are prepared for this deadly mission?”

To Zipp's surprise, Rainbow Dash began to smile widely, thanks to the encouragement she was giving her.

“I'm prepared. The anger, the revenge, the rage, the loss, the remorse... They are enormous motivations” Rainbow Dash explained “They clear the mind. So… I'm prepared”.

"Yeah, but that Grogar we're talking about..." Zipp said "He's the toughest guy out there..."

"Heh, he's never fought me…" Rainbow Dash replied, still smiling.

"Yes, he has done it..."

"But never twice" Rainbow Dash said "And I'll have a new hammer, don't forget that".

With that positivity, Zipp couldn't help but sigh.

"Well, that hammer had better be a big one..."

Then, Rainbow Dash also said something serious.

“Look, I'm 1500 years old. I have killed more than 3000 enemies, and all of them would have preferred to kill me. I'm only alive because fate wants me alive...” Rainbow Dash explained “Grogar is nothing more than... the last of a long line of bastards and he will be the last to feel my revenge. Fate wants it".

"And if you're wrong?" Zipp asked.

"If I'm wrong, I... what else do I have to lose?"

At that moment, Rainbow Dash stands up and sits in the front of the pod, next to Sparky.

"I would lose a lot..." Zipp said, touched by those words "Personally, I would lose a lot..."

It was then that Zipp made a decision.

She pulls out what appears to be an artificial eye from some pocket of her jacket... and gives it to Rainbow Dash.

"Okay, well, if fate wants you to kill that bastard..." Zipp said "You're not going to have one eye".

"Where did you get this?" Rainbow Dash asked, as she picked up the artificial eye and examined it.

"What do you think?" Zipp asked, as she sat back in the pilot's seat "Some asshole lost a bet with me on Contraxia..."

"And he gave you his eye?"

"No, he gave me 100 credits, and that night I snuck into his room... and stole his eye".

Rainbow Dash couldn't believe it: Zipp was giving her something she had stolen.

"Thanks, Zipp" Rainbow Dash thanked.

Very carefully, Rainbow Dash removes the patch from her right eye, and little by little, she puts the artificial eye in her socket.

“Hmm... Huh? Oh... I would have washed it" Zipp said disgustedly "The only way to get it out of Contraxia was to stick it in..."

But before she could continue speaking, a beep from the console interrupted her.

"Hey, we've arrived!"

With her new eye attached, Rainbow palms the side of her head.

"I think this doesn't work..." Rainbow Dash said "Everything looks dark"

"It's not the eye..." Zipp replied.

And when Rainbow got a better look… she gasped in fear.

All of Nidavellir was dark and motionless, as her capsule drew closer.

“Something's wrong...” Rainbow Dash analyzed “The star has gone out. And the rings are frozen".


Later, arriving inside the forge, Rainbow Dash, Zipp, and Sparky walked through a seemingly abandoned and messy room.

"I hope these birds are better at forging than cleaning..." Zipp complained upon seeing the place "Maybe they saw that they lived in a junk pile in space..."

"No…" Rainbow Dash protested. "This forge hasn't been turned off for centuries."

At that moment, looking up at one of the pedestals, Zipp stopped.

"You said Grogar had a gauntlet, right?"

"Yes" Rainbow Dash replied, "Why?"

"Was it similar to... that?"

And when Rainbow Dash looked where Zipp was pointing, she was stunned.

At the other end of the room, amidst the rubble, was a stone gauntlet almost identical... to the one Grogar currently carried on his left hand.

I am Sparky?” Sparky asked scared, as he looked at Zipp and then at Rainbow Dash.

Something was wrong… but VERY wrong.

"We have to get back to the capsule…" Rainbow Dash ordered quietly.

At that moment, a fist slammed into Rainbow Dash's face, throwing her into the air across the room. Then, the mystery attacker did the same to Zipp and Sparky, causing them to crash into the copy of the Infinity Gauntlet.

When Rainbow Dash recovered, she realized something: her attacker was an anthropomorphic bird woman... and she knew her.

"Celaneo, hold on!" Rainbow Dash yelled “Stop! Stop..."

With her scream, the attacker stopped, as she exposed her body to the light.

“Rainbow Dash…?”

The Queen of Asgard nodded, as she looked at the ruler of Nidavellir.

“What has happened here?”

"You were supposed to protect us…" Celaneo explained "Asgard was supposed to protect us!"

"Asgard... has been destroyed" Rainbow Dash said, as she stood up and pointed at the replica of the Infinity Gauntlet "Celaneo... the gauntlet... What have you done?"

Celaneo slumped against the cold forge, his eyes closed painfully. A pain that Rainbow Dash recognized instantly: that of a terrible loss.

“300 of my kind lived in these rings… I thought that if I did what he asked, they would be safe…” Celaneo explained sadly “I did what he wanted… A device capable of channeling the power of the Stones. And he... killed them anyway... Except me…”

Judging by the tone of his voice, Celaneo probably believed that death was an act of kindness that Grogar was denying him. Then, she showed his emerald paw.

“He said: Your life is yours…" Celaneo said "But your leg… your leg is only mine…".

“This isn't about your leg. Every weapon you've designed, every axe, hammer, sword... It's all inside your head” Rainbow Dash said, unable to say anything else “I know it seems all hope is lost. But together... you and I, we can kill Grogar".

Celaneo looked at Rainbow Dash, sharing his gaze... until he got up from where he was with renewed encouragement.

It wasn't much, but Rainbow Dash had managed to rekindle at least one spark in her friend's heart. And, if she was honest, in herself as well.

What had originally seemed like a deadly quest... now seemed to have a chance of success.

It was a start.

Author's Note:

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash's group arrives at the Forge of Nidavellir with one goal: to build a weapon powerful enough to kill Grogar.

Upon arrival, the group meets Celaneo, ruler of Nidavellir and the last of his kind.

Will Rainbow Dash be able to build her new weapon in time?