• Published 26th Aug 2022
  • 209 Views, 2 Comments

Does Ponyville Ever Cross Your Mind - BrushyBill1881



A Twilight x Rarity Romance: Inspired by the song "Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind" by George Strait, released 1984

  • ...
 2
 209

Good Memories

All stories have a beginning. Good or bad we have to start somewhere. Twilight thought about her and Rarity's story. It began on her first day in Ponyville of course we all know that, but when did the story change. Twilight looked out the window. "It started the same way it ended, cold and gray"

3 years ago
It was indeed a cold gray day in the Autumn, not long after Nightmare night. Ponyville's trees and that of Sweet Apple Acres had nearly lost all their leaves. In town everpony was making their way slowly to their destinations no rush or bustle yet. All knew the rush would come in a matter of months with the coming of Hearth's Warming. For now everyone enjoyed the Fall season and all that came with it. Sugar Cube Corner bellowed out the smell of pumpkin based desserts, while the Apple family was selling all manner of Autumn produce. Squashes and gourds of all shapes in color for eating and decorating. Fall variety of apples, red and blue corn, and of course pumpkins. Even some candy apples for the young ones.

Rarity was running around the town, taking the Fall aesthetic hoping it would inspire her Autumn line of clothes. Piles of leaves, bare trees, colors of orange, red and brown, it was all so exciting. She came to the library. "I really should check in on Twilight. She's been working to hard since Nightmare Night. She could use a break." Rarity knocked on the door and hummed to herself. Twilight opened the door.

"Oh hello, Rarity," she smiled

"Hello darling, I half expected Spike to answer the door."

"Nope, the moment the weather changed he was off to the Dragon Lands. Just me and my books." Rarity peered in and saw the stacks of book Twilight had built around her desk.

"Darling, I think you need a break. Why without Spike here it seems you've gone a little overboard." Twilight looked back at her books.

"I guess I have," she looked back to her friend, "What'd you have in mind?"

"Well I am trying to get inspired for my Fall line and you need to relax, so lets do a little Autumn date, go get tea and coffee, a desert, jump into a pile of leaves, wrap up in a warm scarf. Ooo there is so much we could do to inspire me." Rarity beamed with excitement. Twilight however got hung up and lost on the word date.

"Like a date date?" she questioned.

"Well not a date date. Just two friends enjoying each others company and having a fine time in Autumn." Rarity smiled back shyly. Twilight smiled and floated her scarf to herself.

"Sounds fun Rarity." They walked away from the library and into town. Many other ponies were walking close together, enjoying the Autumn air. "Looks like every pony is out and about," Twilight said looking around.

"Autumn is one of the best times to be out in Ponyville. Best demonstrated by our first stop." Twilight looked up and saw they had come to Sugar Cube Corner. They walked in and on display was a wide variety of pumpkin and apple based desserts.

"HI GUYS!" Pinkie Pie called from behind the counter.

"Hey Pinkie." Twilight looked over all the seasonal foods. "What you recommend?" Rarity opened her mouth but was cut off by Pinkie Pie.

"Wellllllll, I personally like the pumpkin roles, but the apple crisp muffins are also good, the caramel apple tart it to die for, ooo ooo, the pumpkin cheese cake melts in your mouth, and-" Rarity cut her off.

"Thank you darling, we'll split a pumpkin roll." Rarity floated over some bits.

"Okey dokey lokey." She served up a plate with a pumpkin role cut in half. It was spongy orange cake with a swirl of white cream cheese frosting in the center. Rarity and Twilight walked over to a table and started in on their piece.

"Wow Rarity this is really good. There's walnuts in the frosting. I usually don't like nuts with my desserts but these add something."

"I knew you would like it!" Rarity clapped her hooves. "Just you wait Twilight Sparkle, I am going to show you all the fun Fall things one can do in Ponyville." And so she did. They played in leaf piles, got hot tea, looked at decor and more. By the time their adventure had ended sun was low, giving the gray air an orange tint. They were outside of the library reminiscing about their day.

"That was a lot of fun Rarity. Thank you." Twilight smiled smiled sweetly.

"You're most welcome darling. I am glad you enjoyed it." She smiled back but Twilight's eyes caught hers and kept them. Something about them spoke to her. They stood there for a second, looking at each other with expressions of surprise and curiosity. Their faces slowly moved closer to each other. Twilight spoke quietly,

"Are you, um feeling inspired?" Rarity responded softly,

"I think I am..." The two mares met in a kiss. Not overly romantic or sensual, but sweet and simple, as all first kisses should be.

Present
The memory faded to black and Twilight found her self in her chair alone in the fire lit library. She smiled.

"It was perfect. And it stayed perfect for almost two years." She looked down at the photo. "We celebrated two Hearth's Warmings together... now this will be my 2nd without her." Twilight got up and made her way up the stairs, towards the mini observatory she had made when she first arrived. There was a scarf hanging just outside the door. She wrapped herself in it and went out into the snowy cold air. The air was crisp and felt good. Looking around she saw all the houses glowing in the night. One off in the corner was dark. The Carousel Boutique now sat quite empty and cold. Twilight stared out at it and a shiver ran through her. Not a cold one, but a painful and sad.

"It ended there."

Author's Note:

Hello y'all,
Sorry it took a minute to get the second chapter out. Work has been crazy. As you can tell I was inspired by the oncoming fall which is my favorite season. I hope you all enjoy it, I am happy with this chapter. If there is a ship you would like to see in one of my stories let me know. Thanks to all who read.
-Brushy Bill