• Published 26th Aug 2022
  • 208 Views, 2 Comments

Does Ponyville Ever Cross Your Mind - BrushyBill1881



A Twilight x Rarity Romance: Inspired by the song "Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind" by George Strait, released 1984

  • ...
 2
 208

Night After Night

This story opens on a dark and snowy night. It is winter in Equestria and heavy snow clouds block out the moon's light. Big clumps of snow fall from the sky giving the night air a gray hue. Down on the streets orange light from fires reflect off of the snow, making the down a beacon in the dark. Almost all of the buildings had a warm glow about them, all except for the old Oak Library. A single candle could be seen from the outside, but no other light, and it is because of me, that our story begins.

Twilight sat in the dark reading by the light of her single candle. The fire she had lit early had long since died, but due to her book, she hardly noticed. Usually Spike would keep the fire going since Twilight was to distracted, but he ha gone to the dragon lands for the winter. Twilight closed her book and looked around. "Oops, guess I got to deep into my book." She giggled to herself and made her way to the fireplace. Using her magic she lit the logs and soon the library was glowing like all the other houses. She walked back to her chair but noticed the mail on the floor in front of the door.

"Boy was I distracted, I didn't even notice Derpy dropped off the mail." She floated the mail above her and over to her desk where she could read them. "Let see, a letter from Spike, newsletter from town hall, hmm what is this." She held up a plain brown envelope. "It's addressed to me, but..." she looked and return address. "I don't know any one from Hotchkick." She opened it and a letter came out.

"Hello Twilight Sparkle,
We met awhile back a a lecture in Canterlot when you were attending Celestia's magic school. My name is Brushy Bill. I gave a lecture on Unicorn's and Agriculture. If I remember correctly you asked about 56 questions afterwards." Twilight thought for a second.

"Oh yeah, that was one of the last lectures I attended before Celestia sent me here." She returned her attention to the letter.

"I am doing a lecture in Canterlot next month on traditional Hearth's Warming clothes and I was wondering if you had any books at your library on this topic. If you do please send them to the address on the letter. If not, no worries. Also the this letter will act as general admission for you to the lecture if you wish to attend. Best wishes, Brushy Bill." Twilight smiled.

"Ooo a lecture, I haven't attended on in a long time." She looked back down at the letter. "Traditional Hearth's Warming Clothes...hm maybe in the fashion section." She began walking to the fashion section and stopped half way. "Fashion..." Twilight sighed. To her left was table full of books and scrolls. She turned and began looking through it. Eventually, she found a picture frame. In it was all her friends but she focused in on one, Rarity. "Rarity," Twilight whispered. The fire flickered in the corner causing a pop and startling her out of her thoughts. Shaking her head she put down the picture. "Focus Twilight. Hearth's Warming, Brushy Bill." She walked towards the fashion section.

"Let's see, A, B, C...G H!" She looked through the H's but was unable to find it. "It should be right here, between Hearts and Hooves dresses, and Healthy Exercise clothes." Twilight reached between the two books and pulled out not a book but a scroll. "What the heck is this?" She unrolled it. It was a note from Rarity! Twilight squeaked and lost concentration causing the scroll to roll up, drop and roll away. She knew it was from Rarity, it had to of been her writing. Twilight slowly crept towards the scroll and levitated it up. Bringing it closer to her face she inspected it. It was faint but there was the scent of Rarity's perfume. "Must be old to have such a faint smell. She use to where so much...perfume." Twilight looked over to her work table. "When we were together she would sit at that table all day. Even when she left I could still smell her perfume." She looked back to the scroll. She took a deep breath and unrolled it. The writing was definitely that of Rarity's. Twilight read it out loud.

"Hello sweet heart X,
I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your book on Hearth's Warming Fashion. I needed it make our outfits for our last Hearth's Warming which you looked simply darling in X. Unfortunately Opal liked the book a little too much ripped it to pieces. I owe you one Hearth's Warming book. Hope this makes up for a little bit." There was an arrow that point to the bottom of the scroll that was still rolled up. Twilight unrolled it all the way. Taped to the bottom of the paper was a photograph. She took the picture of and set down the scroll. It was a picture of Rarity and Twilight from two Hearth's Warmings ago. They were wearing outfits that Rarity made herself with help from the book. Twilight in a heavy navy blue gown with a sparkly white fringe. Rarity's was similar except it was a light purple. They were standing under a mistletoe, Twilight kissing Rarity's cheek. She flipped the photo over. It also had writing on it.

"To my true love, a magical Hearth's Warming and to many more." Twilight sighed and put down the photo. "But there weren't any more." She went back to looking for books to send Brushy Bill and found a few. Every time she found a new she'd bring it to the table and glance down at the picture before shaking her heard and continuing her search. After finding the last book she decided to sit and read it. It did not take long before she had fallen asleep at her desk.

The morning brought the sun and with the freshly fallen snow, a bright light shown through the library's window hitting Twilight in the face. She slowly raised her head and looked around. "Guess I fell asleep." She closed the book she was reading. "I better get these to Brushy Bill." She yawned and began collecting all of the books she had pulled and placed them into a box. Again her eyes strayed to the picture of her and Rarity. Every time she felt her heart skip a beat, and then sink. There were happy memories in that picture, but they had soured knowing how it ended. To Twilight it was like reading a great book already knowing the end was terrible. She could no longer enjoy the story knowing how it all ends. Twilight returned her attention to he package of books and sealed it. With a flash of magic she sent it off to the pegasus post.

"Well that's done, I can get back to my work." She looked over to the book she was reading yesterday before the fire had gone out. "Oh yeah I finished that one." She walked over to her work desk to begin taking notes and writing about what she had learned. Like the previous day, it distracted her till the fire went out that evening. The last ember popped switching Twilight's focus from her papers, to the fire.

"Not again." She rolled her eyes and walked back to fire to relight it. Like the previous night it was a simple task. The fire lit up the room and when Twilight turned around, there was that picture again. She almost ignored it and returned to her desk, but stopped half way there and went back to it. Using her magic she levitated it over to her chair. The picture sat on the side table as Twilight made herself a cup of tea before sitting down. After taking a sip she picked it up and stared at it. Again heart skipped and sank in an instant. "The story was so good, almost perfect," she sighed, "But the ending hurts to much." She put the photo back down and took another sip, thinking back on her and Rarity's story. Looking at her reflection in the tea cup, Twilight began to wonder, "Was the ending really so terrible?"

Author's Note:

Hello y'all
I am back with another story. Work is picking up so I don't know when chapter will come out but it may be a bit inconsistent. I am planning on this one being 3-4 chapters. If you have a ship you want me to make into one of my stories let me know and I'll see what I come up with. Thanks to all who read.
-Brushy Bill