• Published 7th Sep 2022
  • 3,616 Views, 185 Comments

A Dragon's Soft Spot - Mister E-Nonymous



The staff and some of the students find out that Smolder has been hiding a human turned dragon in the catacombs underneath the School of Friendship, and they want to know how it happened. And eventually, why she agreed to help him.

  • ...
10
 185
 3,616

Chapter 9: Dragons and Common Colds Don't Mix

Chapter 9: Dragons and Common Colds Don't Mix


Smolder walked down the halls of the student dorms, heading towards the room where Aaron, Sandbar and Gallus all shared. She was about to knock on the door, but the door opened, revealing Gallus. He flew out of the room, grabbing the nearest fire extinguisher, and flying back into the room. Smolder looked in and saw into the room and saw some stuff on fire.

"Whoa!" Smolder said. "What happened?"

"Sorry you had to see this, Smolder," Sandbar said. "It would seem that Aaron seems to have caught a cold." Aaron then sneezed, blowing fire straight up. The ceiling caught fire and Gallus used the fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

"Yeah, I think we might have to put him somewhere that's fire proof," Gallus said. Then he and Sandbar put on masks so they wouldn't catch a cold as well. Gallus then handed a mask to Smolder as well. She took it and put it on.

"Where would we even find a place that's fireproof?" Sandbar asked.

"Well... I know a place," Smolder said. She then got Aaron on his feet and carried him away. Gallus helped out. Sandbar followed the two as Smolder was leading them somewhere. They eventually came to a room somewhere in the School of Friendship. The door was marked, "Sick Room: Dragons Only".

"A dragon's sick room?" Sandbar asked.

"Ever since that trip that Princess Twilight and her friends have been sent on a fake friendship mission, Starlight had come up with the idea in case me or any other dragons that would soon attend this school get sick," Smolder said. "Everything in this room has been enchanted with a fireproof spell thanks to Starlight's magic." They then carried Aaron into the room and put him onto one of the beds there. Just then, Starlight teleported in.

"Whoa!" Starlight said. "I'm guessing you all know about why we built this room?"

"Specifically for sick dragons," Smolder said. "And since Aaron is currently a dragon, he'll be sneezing fire as well. I might as well get him some soup." Aaron then started coughing.

"Sounds like he needs it immediately," Starlight said. "I'll go and make a big tub of soup. And I need some creature to watch over him."

"I'll do it," Smolder said. "Besides, who else is better off to watch one dragon with a cold than another dragon?"

"That's not a bad idea," Starlight said. "I heard that you two... at the time being..."

Smolder blushed and asked, "Who said?" Starlight then motioned her head towards Sandbar and Gallus, who smiled nervously.

"Along with Silverstream, Ocellus and Yona," Starlight added.

"Oh, man," Smolder said. "I still can't believe she faked a bathroom trip just to get me and Aaron in the same cart together."

"Guess there was some sneakiness still left in her since before the changelings became friends with the rest of Equestria," Starlight said. She then sighed. "I'll give you a pass from your classes to take care of Aaron until he fully recovers from his cold."

"Whatever," Smolder said. "Might as well get his laptop so he can be entertained when he recovers."

"I'll put a special enchantment on it so he doesn't accidentally burn it," Starlight said. "You better go get it." Smolder nodded and headed out of the room to get Aaron's computer.


Up in Canterlot Castle, Twilight was looking through every spell book on transportation magic. She was searching for a way to find a portal for Aaron to get home.

"There's got to be a way to open up a portal to Aaron's world," Twilight said. Twilight then looked in the last book left on the table. She then looked through all the pages on it and just groaned out loud. She threw the book at a wall right as Spike was passing where the book was being thrown towards. He was also holding a tea set on a platter.

"Whoa!" Spike said, dodging the thrown book and almost losing balance of the tea set. "Careful, Twilight."

"Sorry, Spike," Twilight said. "I looked through every book here on portal magic, but I just can't seem to find the right one." She then sighed. "I have to get him back home. He has a family to get back to."

"It must be hard," Spike said. "It's not like you know somepony who knows of a way to create a portal to another dimension."

"That would be useful," Twilight said before putting her head on the table, then covering it with her forelegs. Spike then counted with his claws from three. Then Twilight then rushed her head off the table quickly and gasped. "Star Swirl!"

"I knew you'd eventually come up with that eventually," Spike said. "You just needed the right push."

"Spike, get me in contact with Star Swirl the Bearded," Twilight said. "If anypony can find a way for Aaron to get back home, it'll be him."

"I'll go contact him immediately," Spike said, leaving the tea set. He then flew out of the room, leaving Twilight there.

"Actually, tea sounds nice right about now," Twilight said. She then used her magic to prepare the tea, getting it ready for her to drink.


In the room that Aaron was taken to in the School of Friendship, Aaron and Smolder were watching another movie together. This time, they were watching the original Shaggy Dog movie.

"Wow," Smolder said. "And they haven't put this movie into color on this website yet?"

"Kinda wish they did," Aaron said with a stuffy nose. He then started to sneeze. Smolder then aimed Aaron's snout straight up as he sneezed fire from his mouth.

"Gesundheit," Smolder said. She then brought out another tissue for Aaron to use. Aaron blew into it. But then it caught fire.

"Sheesh," Aaron said. "Even my boogers are on fire."

Smolder laughed and said, "Well, at least you won't have to worry about that when you're back home." She then sighed. "It is going to be a shame to see you go, Aaron."

"Yeah," Aaron said. He then sighed. "If only there was a way for you to come to my world, but there has to be a permanent two way portal."

"Kinda like that mirror in Equestria Girls," Smolder said. "Although, I do not wanna end up as a dog like Spike did."

"I'm sure that the portal Twilight is gonna make will not turn us into animals," Aaron said. "Although, there are some intelligent creatures in this world that are just animals back in my world."

"Including ponies?" Smolder asked.

"Just the Earth Ponies," Aaron said. "The other types of ponies are just mythical. Along with the anthro animals of Klugetown, and all the other intelligent creatures. Except for the yaks, donkeys and mules. We have those in my world." He then felt a sneeze coming in. Smolder aimed Aaron's head straight up, right before he sneezed.

"And you being human again will also mean when you won't have to sneeze fire again," Smolder said.

"Yeah," Aaron said. Smolder then poured soup into the bowl on the table next to Aaron's bed.

"You should get more soup in your system," Smolder said. "It'll make you feel better."

"Yeah, yeah," Aaron said. He then grabbed the bowl and started drinking the soup from it.

"Well, I have to use the restroom," Smolder said. "If you need anything, I'll..." Smolder wasn't facing Aaron at the time when she was heading towards the door. When she turned around, she saw Aaron sleeping in the bed that he was put into. Smolder smiled at that and said, "Now that's cute." She then walked back towards Aaron and tucked him in comfortably. She then stopped the movie on Aaron's computer and then she pushed the lock button on the computer, and then she closed it.


Aaron was dreaming of the time his mom was still alive. Aaron knew what was going to happen but he couldn't do anything about it. His mom had left Aaron with her twin sister, Marissa.

"Now, please take care of Aaron until I get back," Aaron's mother said.

"Don't worry, Ronnie," Marissa said. "Aaron will be okay here."

"Mommy," Aaron said in the dream. "Please don't go."

"I'll be back as soon as possible," Aaron's mother, known as Ronnie, said. "You stay here." She then kissed Aaron on the forehead. She then headed out the door.

"Mommy," Aaron said, reaching out. But then he noticed that his hand was different. He looked in a mirror and saw that he was a baby dragon version of what he was in the current waking world. He then looked around, searching for his aunt Marissa, who was nowhere in sight. Just then, the door opened up again.

"THERE YOU ARE!!" came a deep voice. Aaron looked at the door and saw a giant black dragon's claw coming towards him. Aaron then started running, but then he was grabbed by the tail.

"No!!" Aaron shouted. "Mommy!" Then everything started shaking and the entire world around him was cracking.


In the waking world, Smolder was shaking Aaron awake. Aaron woke up immediately.

"Wha--! Let me go!" Aaron said. "Let me..." He then saw that it was Smolder shaking him.

"Whoa, whoa," Smolder said. "Take it easy, Aaron. It was just a dream."

Aaron sighed and said, "That dream... was even worse than how it usually was."

"What happened?" Smolder asked.

"The usual," Aaron said. "But as soon as my mom left, there was a twist. Somehow, my aunt Marissa vanished, and then I found myself as a baby dragon, and the next thing was a giant black dragon reaching in through the door to grab me."

"Whoa," Smolder said. "Now that's a sick twist." Then Aaron was about to sneeze. "Speaking of which." Smolder then aimed Aaron's head upward and Aaron sneezed fire. "Hopefully by tomorrow, you'll be up and at 'em in no time."

"I hope you're right," Aaron said. He then noticed the time. It was already past 9:00 at night. "Dang, is it that late already?"

"Yeah," Smolder said. "I should head to bed. I'll see you tomorrow." Aaron smiled at Smolder as she was leaving the room. But then she stopped. "On second thought, you might need someone to watch over you if you have that sick dream again. She then walked back towards Aaron and got into the bed with him.

"Are you sure you'd want to share the bed with me?" Aaron asked. "What if you get sick as well?"

"I'd be willing to risk it," Smolder said. She then pulled the covers over both of them. Then the two of them fell asleep.


A couple days have passed, and Aaron got better in health. Aaron and Smolder were in line for breakfast in the cafeteria and when they got their food, they ended up sitting with their friends.

"Hey, guys," Aaron said.

"Hey, there he is," Gallus said. "You're looking better already, Aaron."

"I am," Aaron said. "Thanks to Smolder here."

"Yeah, I'm surprised I didn't catch his cold," Smolder said.

"Yeah," Sandbar said. "Even though you were sharing the bed with him." Sandbar then pulled out a picture of Aaron and Smolder sharing the bed in the sick room. Smolder blushed, making the other five laugh.

"You know what," Aaron said. "Smolder is just being a good friend. Even though we have been getting closer and closer together." He then looked at Ocellus. "Thanks for that, Ocellus."

Ocellus smiled and said, "It's only for a little while. After all, you have to get home soon."

"But, we won't know if Princess Twilight has found a way to open a portal to your world," Silverstream said. "Hopefully, we can come and visit you."

"Which might be shocking for all the people in my world since all of this is known to them as a TV Show," Aaron said. "Well, to those who watched the show."

"That would make sense," Gallus said. "Perhaps we can find a way to be humans like you."

"Hopefully we'll talk with her the next time we see her," Aaron said. They kept on eating and talking about what they were going to do throughout the day.

Author's Note:

Well, things are gonna get more interesting. Hopefully, when Star Swirl the Bearded helps out on finding out how to get Aaron back to his world, he might find a way to make sure that the way to Aaron's world is a two way portal. That way, it wouldn't be the last time that Aaron would say goodbye to his friends.