• Published 7th Sep 2022
  • 3,550 Views, 185 Comments

A Dragon's Soft Spot - Mister E-Nonymous



The staff and some of the students find out that Smolder has been hiding a human turned dragon in the catacombs underneath the School of Friendship, and they want to know how it happened. And eventually, why she agreed to help him.

  • ...
10
 185
 3,550

Chapter 3: Lessons on All Things Dragon

Chapter 3: Lessons on All Things Dragon


It had been a couple weeks since Aaron had finally come out of the caverns underneath the school. Spike stayed in Ponyville to keep an eye on Aaron and he'd inform Twilight if he had any more information, and he'll also inform Aaron about any progress via magic flames.

Aaron had become a student at the School of Friendship. Starlight had also put another bed into the room that Aaron, Sandbar and Gallus share, that way Sandbar would have his bed back and Aaron would be able to sleep in a bed and won't feel bad about taking up Sandbar's place anymore.

In the room they all share, Aaron was drawing something on his tablet while Sandbar and Gallus were reading books. Gallus was getting a little annoyed when there was too much silence.

Gallus turned towards Sandbar and asked, "Hey, Sandbar, mind if we play some music? The silence is kinda bothering me."

"Sure thing, Gallus," Sandbar said, heading to a dresser. "Let me just activate my new crystal powered music player." That made Aaron lift his head in confusion.

"Your what?" Gallus asked, confused about what Sandbar was getting.

"It's this awesome device my parents got me for my birthday," Sandbar said. "It allows you to record your favorite songs and play them whenever you want." Sandbar pulled out the device and put it on the dresser. "Player, activate my song list! And make it random."

Then music came from the crystal powered device. But not music from Equestria. The device started playing the song "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen.

"What the...?" Gallus asked.

"You've got to be kidding me," Aaron said.

"Uh... next," Sandbar said. Then the song changed. It was now playing "I Like Big Butts" by Sir Mix a Lot. Aaron and Gallus looked towards Sandbar as the young Earth Pony was trying to cover the blush on his face in embarrassment. "Dang it, next!" Then the song changed and started playing "Apple Bottom Jeans" by T Pain. That made both Aaron and Gallus snicker as Sandbar was covering his entire face as it went red. Sandbar then said, "Please kill me... Next!" Then the song changed again. This time to "Shake Your Bon-Bon" by Ricky Martin. This time, Sandbar covered himself entirely.

"Well, now I know why you're interested in Yona so much," Gallus said before laughing.

"Shut up, Gallus!" Sandbar said.

Aaron laughed harder than Gallus and said, "I can't believe this actually happened." That made Sandbar and Gallus confused and look at him.

"Player, shut off," Sandbar said before the music stopped. "What do you mean?"

"Back in my world, people had done fan comics, and this moment was one of them," Aaron said. "Although, I am wondering about something." He then looked at Sandbar. "How did you get all of those songs when they originated from my world?" That made Gallus laugh.

"I... I don't know," Sandbar said. "I don't even remember how those songs ended up on my music player in the first place. Honest."

"Weird," Aaron said. He then thought of something. "Wait. In some of the shows I watch, including the show based on this world, some characters manage to look towards the camera, even talk to the viewers of the show. We call that breaking the 4th wall."

"Oh, yeah," Gallus said. "When one of the characters talks to the audience like in the school plays. We got that idea from Pinkie Pie."

"That makes sense," Aaron said. "She did it all the time in the show." Just then, Pinkie Pie came out of the screen of Aaron's computer.

"I sure do!" Pinkie Pie said, surprising the three boys.

"You knew you were being watched, didn't you?" Aaron asked.

"Uh-huh," Pinkie Pie said. "Like when Discord ordered all of the cakes and I shook the thing that views us into the show." Pinkie Pie then flashbacked to a certain moment.

Aaron shook his head and said, "Breaking the 4th wall. Classic." He then thought of something. "Wait a minute." He then looked towards Sandbar. "I think I know who put those songs on your music player."

"Really?" Sandbar asked. "Who?"

"It was Discord," Aaron said. Just then, Discord's tail appeared, stroking Aaron's chin.

"Well, it's kinda rude to assume something like that," came Discord's voice. The group followed the tail to Discord's face and saw him knitting something. "Even if it is true."

"Oh, boy," Sandbar said, covering his face again.

"Oh, and by the way, Aaron," Discord said, getting the human-turned-dragon's attention. "Smolder is coming here to get you."

"For what?" Aaron asked.

"Nothing bad," Discord said. "Just wanting to teach you about all things dragon."

"Seriously?" Aaron asked.

"That would make sense," Gallus said. "Might as well get to learn of your current physiology as you can."

"Yeah, we don't know how long you're gonna be here," Sandbar said. Just then, there was a set of knocks on the door. "I'm guessing it's for you."

Aaron went to the door and standing outside the room was Smolder.

"Hey, Aaron," Smolder said. "Are you up for learning about being a dragon for real?"

"Well, I might as well learn how to use these without bumping my head," Aaron said, unfolding his wings. "At least I got these without going through the molt. Compared to Spike's, it must've been irritating." Then the two of them started walking down the dorm hall.

"It was," Smolder said. "Spike's was basically the worst molt I've seen." She then sniffed Aaron. "At least you didn't have the smell from the molt when I found you. Otherwise, whew, that would be troubling."

"I still can't believe that dragons isolate the young ones going through the molt," Aaron said. "That's just wrong."

"Hey, it's a part of being a dragon," Smolder said, shrugging her shoulders and raising her arms. "Now, let's get you all to know about being a dragon."


Outside the School of Friendship, Smolder was teaching Aaron the important things when it comes to being a dragon. Mostly flying. Aaron kept crashing a lot.

"Ow..." Aaron said after recovering from a crash.

"Wow," Smolder said. "That's the 20th time you crashed today." She then helped Aaron up. "Good thing dragons are more durable than they look."

"Wow," Aaron said. "I can see why. I fell 20 times and not even a scratch."

"Yeah," Smolder said. "Although, throughout every dragon I've seen in the Dragon Lands, I have never seen a dragon your color."

"Really?" Aaron asked. "You've never seen a jade dragon?"

"Not even once," Smolder said. "It must be because of some legend from old times in the Dragon Lands."

"What legend?" Aaron asked.

"Meh, I might as well tell you," Smolder said. "After all, all dragons need to know of this." She then breathed out. "The legend of the Reaper goes like this."


"Centuries ago, the Dragon Lands were very territorial. The dragons didn't trust any other creature. All of them were just... vile, savage, and some of them, really, really bad tempered. Especially the current dragon lord. His son, Ragnarok the Reaper, was next in line to the throne. Back then, nepotism was still a thing. Ragnarok the Reaper was a little too savage for the throne. He claimed that the ponies were too good to have any nice things, so he proclaimed, as his first thing as Dragon Lord, to go to where the ponies are, and take everything they have for the dragons to keep. But the current Dragon Lord didn't have it. So he went to the dragon that could see into the future, the Oracle, to see what would happen if Ragnarok continued with his path. The Oracle claimed that if Ragnarok continued down his path, eventually, he would be taken down by a dragon as green as jade, one who believed that peace between lands, no matter what distance, can be achieved. Ragnarok the Reaper overheard Oracle's prophecy and went on a rampage. He hunted every jade dragon across the Dragon Lands, and with the help of a life stealing potion, drained the entire life source of each jade dragon he could find, so the prophecy would never come true. Ragnarok the Reaper went back to his father, proud that the Oracle's prophecy didn't come true, but his father hadn't liked what Ragnarok had done. Ragnarok was then deemed unworthy of leading the Dragon Lands, and was to be put down. The Oracle was able to contain Ragnarok into the deepest part of the Dragon Lands, but before Ragnarok was forced into a forever sleep, he proclaimed..."

"When a jade dragon will be in the land, I will return from where I stand. My time to rule will come when I return, the jade dragons will perish and the ponies will burn. You all sealing me will be your biggest mistake, I will rule the dragon lands at my fullest wake!"

"The Oracle was already dying when sealing off Ragnarok the Reaper into his immortal prison, but he made sure that whenever there is a jade dragon among the world, that would be Ragnarok's forced slumber is useless. And each time a jade dragon had been born into the world, Ragnarok the Reaper returned and drained the life force out of the jade dragon, keeping him young in his sleep. And to this day, no one has ever seen a jade dragon."


Aaron was surprised by the legend that Smolder had said.

"Whoa," Aaron said. "That... That is super intense."

"Yeah," Smolder said. "But no one had seen a jade dragon for 500 years. Even if the legend was true, no way Ragnarok the Reaper would be alive for that long."

"And I'm guessing why the Dragon Lords now make obstacle courses for choosing the next Dragon Lord?" Aaron asked.

"Pretty much," Smolder said. "And since then, they've been a little tense."

"You were in the last Gauntlet of Fire?" Aaron asked.

"I was about to be, but my bro said if he'd win, he'd make our lives better from then on," Smolder said. "So I dropped out. But..."

"You got confused when he hugged Torch's snout?" Aaron asked.

"Big time," Smolder said. "But in the end, the dragons started a peace treaty with the ponies, we've been getting along a lot better. No trouble here."

"Maybe some minor dragon trouble," Aaron said. "Especially from that bum of a dragon, Sludge." That made Smolder laugh.

"Oh, man," Smolder said, swiping a single claw across her eye like she was wiping away a tear. "That's funny!" She then stopped laughing, but kept the grin on her face. "But, yeah. That Sludge dragon is a total bum. I swear, he's been out of the dragon lands long before we started the peace treaty."

"Yeah," Aaron said. "Thanks to Spike."

"You know it," came the voice of Spike. The two looked at Spike who was walking up to them. "Well, I got a message from Twilight. She says that she's making progress on trying to find you a way home. It might take a while, though."

"How long is a while?" Aaron asked.

"Approximately, six months at least," Spike said.

"Six months?!" Aaron asked. "Oh, man. My aunt is gonna kill me for being away from her for that long."

"Oh, that's not gonna happen," Spike said. "When she finally finds a way for you back home, she'll adjust it to make your way home back to when you first arrived here. So, it'll be like you never left."

"Whoa," Smolder said. "That's actually a good idea."

"Time travel and dimension hopping?" Aaron asked. "Sounds very risky."

"Don't worry," Spike said. "You'll be in good hooves. Hands? Whatever. Everything will be fine." Spike then started flying off. "Well, I got all I needed to help with the portal. See you guys another time." He then started flying off towards Canterlot, but then he stopped. "You know what, I'm just gonna get on the next train to Canterlot. It's a long way there." He then flew towards the train station.

Smolder then looked at Aaron and said, "You wanna give flying another try?"

"Sure," Aaron said. "Hopefully, I'll be able to fly without crashing."

"Don't worry," Smolder said. "If you start to fall, I'll catch you."

"Wow," Aaron said. "Okay. I guess I can be okay with that." Then both of them got into position to fly.

"Ready?" Smolder asked.

"Let's do it," Aaron said. "Might as well enjoy the moment as much as I can."

Smolder nodded and then the two of them started flying.


Dragon Lands... 1 1/2 months ago...

All of the dragons of the Dragon Lands were doing their usual business at the time. All of them were heading to their caves when there was some rumbling. It was from neither volcano, nor earthquake. Coming from the ground away from the homes of the Dragon Lands was the arm of a giant dragon, larger than Torch. The dragon was black and purple, and he roared enraged. His eyes were dark orange, and he looked towards the Dragon Lands.

"Where's the Jade Dragon?!" the giant dragon roared.

Ember flew up to the face of the giant dragon and said, "You better explain yourself on what you're doing here?! But first, I want to know who you are!"

"You don't get to talk to me like that!" the giant dragon said, blowing Ember back. "I... am Ragnarok!"

"Ragnarok?!" Ember asked, starting to get scared. "As in Ragnarok the Reaper?!"

"I am the true Dragon Lord!" Ragnarok said. "You all follow me now!"

"I don't think so!" Ember said. "I am the Dragon Lord by right! Behold! The Bloodstone Scepter!" Just then Ember was grabbed by the giant dragon.

"Pathetic... little... dragon..." Ragnarok said. "The Scepter shall go to the one who is worthy of it! And that is me!" Ember was trying to pull herself out of the grip of Ragnarok, but then Ragnarok used his other claws to grab the Bloodstone Scepter.

"No!" Ember said, still trying to grip the scepter. "That's mine by right!" Then she lost her grip on the scepter. "No!" Ragnarok then threw Ember away and then Ragnarok made the scepter glow, and he shot a beam of crimson energy towards Ember, trapping her in a cage of crimson lightning. "Hey! Let me...!" She was cut off being electrocuted by the crimson lightning.

"Dragon Lord Ember!" Garble shouted as he and his dragon buddies started flying towards Ember. "You let her go!"

"Quiet, my subject!" Ragnarok said.

"And who are you?" Garble asked.

"Garble!" Ember called out, making Garble and his friends look towards her. "That's Ragnarok the Reaper!"

"The Reaper?!" Garble asked.

"That's right, fool!" Ragnarok said. "Did you not hear the legend?! I am the rightful ruler of the Dragon Lands! But Oracle made sure that I won't be ruler of the Dragon Lands by keeping me asleep! So, I take my revenge on the Oracle's prophecy by making sure her prophecy doesn't come true! My ultimate demise by a jade dragon?! I will not let that happen! So, whenever a jade dragon appears, I must drain his life source!" Ragnarok then raised the Bloodstone Scepter and a giant barrier surrounded the Dragon Lands. "Bring me the jade dragon, or never leave the Dragon Lands again!"

"No!" Garble said, flying towards the barrier. As soon as he reached it, the barrier prevented him from leaving. "Smolder! No!" Garble then started banging on the barrier, trying to get out, but the barrier wasn't letting him. Basically, no matter what, the Dragon Lands was basically a prison for the dragons until the jade dragon has been found.

Author's Note:

Part of this chapter was based on this comic.


QUIZ TIME!

Gallus tells Aaron about his crush on Silverstream and he really wants to do something special for her. Aaron decides to help Gallus out with this predicament. What does Aaron suggest that Gallus does for Silverstream?

Option 1:

Picnic in the Park

Option 2:

Bowling Together

Option 3:

Spa Day

Each view gets one, and I mean one, choice in this vote. You cannot choose more than one choice during a vote. The option with the most votes will be in an upcoming chapter.