• Published 24th Jun 2022
  • 285 Views, 10 Comments

The Young Warrior: Pharynx's Journey - Melody Song



Years before the events of the Young Warrior, Pharynx Elytron is chosen by Aureum in Generali, the Golden General, to be her apprentice.

  • ...
 10
 285

Mother Luck

“You did a good job today, Phary.” Fortuna told Pharynx, as they rested near the training sand pit.

“What are you talking about? I kept messing up the dodge and leap.” Pharynx corrected, raising his head slightly and buzzing his wings.

He’d gotten bigger lately, having had a couple molts, as had Thorax. They were thirteen years old now, and Pharynx knew he was nearing the end of his training. He had a feeling, since Fortuna had been taking him on more patrols and going over what he already knew, rather than showing him new things.

“Yes, but you’re improving. You just need more practice.” Fortuna remarked.

“Then let’s practice now.”

“We need to let our bodies rest and our minds wander-”

“If we are to faster end up in armor.” Pharynx finished for her, sighing. “But Fortuna-”

“No buts, mister.” Fortuna took a sip from her canteen. “Let’s have a talk for a bit. Shoot the breeze. How’s your brother doing?”

“Horrible.” Pharynx replied simply, rolling his eyes. “He still refuses to fight back, and when Athrex-eques takes him on hunts he refuses to drain ponies or set snares.”

“Hm…” Fortuna looked off into the distance. “It seems to be more than a lack of confidence or lack of ability… I think he’s just… not interested in the warrior’s life.”

“You don't think I know that? But I’ve already told him he should try being a medic like Cilia-discipula. He said blood makes him queasy. The one thing he’s really good at besides turning into a rock to hide is taking care of nymphs.” Pharynx told her, and Fortuna glanced over with a questioning look. “Mother… Chrysalis once had us take over for her when it was time for the naming ceremony of the nymphs. Thorax enjoyed it.”

“As much as I would encourage it, most nursery drones are female.” Fortuna reminded him.

“I know that!” Pharynx huffed and laid his head between his forelegs. “The wimp is going to end up rankless, and Chrysalis will have his chitin.”

“I know.” Fortuna sighed. “If I’d been allowed two apprentices, I’d have taken you both on. It would have been easier on Thorax than Athrex teaching him.”

“How is it decided, anyway?” Pharynx asked

“You can find out when you become a warrior.” Fortuna told him, winking.

“Wait…”

“Your assessment is two days from now. Enough time to perfect anything you think needs improvement, if you train hard.”

“H-How…? I'm only thirteen.”

“I convinced the Queen you deserved to move up in rank early.” Fortuna replied

Pharynx grinned with delight. Finally, he would get to be what he’d always dreamed. He may not be Head General yet, but surely Fortuna would step down at some point, and retire to the Elder Drone’s quarters. Then, once she had held the initiation ceremony for him, he’d get his shot.

“Thanks mo-” Pharynx broke off, clearing his throat. “Fortuna-domina, ma’am.”

“Oh come now, you can’t throw me off with formalities, Phary. What was it you were going to say?” Fortuna asked, grinning.

“...M-Mom…” Pharynx admitted, and Fortuna chuckled.

“Was that so hard?”

“You’re not my mother.”

“And yet you nearly called me mum.” Fortuna said, and Pharynx looked away. “Oh come now Pharynx, you can trust me, you know that.”

“You’re not-”

“Pharynx, it does not matter who you are related to by blood or not.” Fortuna laid a hoof on his shoulder. “What makes someone family is whether or not you care about them. You care about your brother, so he is family.”

Pharynx looked up at her, and she brushed her golden mane away from her face to look at him deeply.

“One day, Pharynx, you’ll have created your own family, of the ones who you care for deeply, and you would do anything to protect them. You would sacrifice yourself for them, if you must.”

Pharynx closed his eyes, thinking. He had never really considered that he could have a family other than the one he was born into. But if blood didn’t matter… then maybe… Pharynx opened his eyes and smiled softly.

“Would you be my family, mom?” he asked quietly.

“I already am, son.” Fortuna replied, smiling at him. Pharynx smiled back softly. He swore he could see tears in his mentor's eyes as she brought him in for a hug.

---------------------------------------

“The time has come for this apprentice to receive his next rank.” Fortuna announced to the crowd beneath the rock where she sat.

Pharynx sat at the very front, his brother beside him. Thorax was smiling with delight, while Pharynx puffed his chest out in pride, just as he had so many years ago, when they were made apprentices. Only now, Pharynx was becoming a warrior.

“Pharynx-discipulus, come here.” Fortuna said, hopping down from the rock as he stood, walking to her. “I, Fortuna-domina, Head General of the Hive, ask our ancestors to look down at this apprentice. He has trained hard throughout his apprenticeship to understand the ways of your noble code. Now, I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn.”

Fortuna locked eyes with Pharynx, who stood a little straighter.

“Pharynx-discipulus, do you promise to honor and uphold to the code of changelings, and protect and defend the Hive, even at the cost of your life?”

“I do.” Pharynx said firmly.

“Then by the powers of the ancestors, I give you your rank. Pharynx-discipulus, from this moment on, you shall be known as Pharynx-legatus, Deputy to the General.” Fortuna spoke, and Pharynx’s eyes widened.

“Deputy?” he whispered, as Fortuna ended the ceremony. He walked over to her, questioning in his eyes.

“You like my surprise?” Fortuna chuckled

“Why deputy?”

“Pharynx, it is customary for the current general to train their future successor, and to name that successor their deputy.” Fortuna told him, smiling. “What else did you think would happen?”

Pharynx hesitated, then moved closer and hugged her briefly. “Thank you, mother…”

Fortuna smiled and hugged him back, though he pulled back quickly. “You’re welcome, son.”