• Published 24th Jun 2022
  • 281 Views, 10 Comments

The Young Warrior: Pharynx's Journey - Melody Song



Years before the events of the Young Warrior, Pharynx Elytron is chosen by Aureum in Generali, the Golden General, to be her apprentice.

  • ...
 10
 281

Wounded Discussions

“Did you enjoy today’s lesson, Phary?”

“I did, ‘Tuney.” Pharynx retorted, but she didn’t seem fazed.

“Good, I’m glad. Dodging is an integral part of warrior training.”

“Yeah yeah… you didn’t have to walk me back to my room.”

“I want a word with your brother, Athrex-eques has told me he’s not much enthused with his training.”

“I could’ve told you why. He’s a wimp and thinks violence is worthless.”

“I am aware of your view on the matter, Phary, I’d rather have his perspective.”

Pharynx had gotten used to the nickname by now, though he hoped she wouldn’t let Thorax hear it, he didn’t need his sissy brother calling him ‘Phary’. He’d do it all the time, not just when they were alone, and Pharynx would never hear the end of it.

“This is our room. Wimp’s around here somewhere.” Pharynx said as they entered the room, but his eyes widened as soon as he saw what was inside.

A trail of blood was leading to a corner of their room, and a beat up, nearly unconscious Thorax was lying there.

“Thorax!” Pharynx raced over, nudging him. “Thorax, get up! C-Come on you wimp, get up!”

“Give him room, Pharynx.” Fortuna ordered, walking over calmly. She knelt down and gently picked up Thorax, cradling him.

Pharynx raced to one of the holes in the wall and pulled out a first aid kit, dragging it back to Fortuna, who picked it up.

“Thank you Phary. Here, let’s have a bonus lesson.” Fortuna said, laying Thorax down between them and opening the first aid kit. “Watch closely.”

Pharynx nodded, biting his lip in unabashed concern as he stared at his injured brother. Fortuna withdrew a roll of bandages, a cloth, and a bundle of cobwebs, then heading over to Thorax. As she began to wipe away the blood, she quizzed Pharynx on which herbs to use. Her voice was gentle and calm the whole time, even when they discovered a large gash on the back of Thorax’s head.

Surprisingly, by the time Fortuna was done, Pharynx felt calmer. The lesson, he realized dimly, had been her way of distracting him from the fact that his brother was badly hurt, calming him down. Fortuna lifted up Thorax and laid him gently in the brothers’ nest, and Pharynx ran over, nudging his brother as gently as possible.

“Thorax…?”

The nymph stirred, eyes opening slowly. “P-Pharynx?”

“Thorax, it’s me, Fortuna.” Fortuna leaned down and knelt beside him. “Could you tell me what you remember?”

Thorax whimpered, coughing slightly. “I-I told mother I-I’m s-scared of Athrex-eques… I-I told her th-that the reason I was doing badly w-was because he k-keeps telling me the only way for a warrior to win is to attack every pony in sight… I-I called it bad strategy… a-and he told mother…”

Fortuna reached and rubbed his back. “It will be alright Thorax, Phary and I are here. I’ve patched you up, so have a little nap, okay? You’re safe.”

Thorax nodded, then blinked and looked at Pharynx. “Wait… ‘Phary’?”

Pharynx glared at Fortuna, who giggled softly. He then looked at Thorax, who was strangely smiling.

“P-Phary… I like that…” Thorax giggled and closed his eyes. “Night Phary…”

“Fortuna!” Pharynx hissed, but she wasn’t staring off into space. He prodded her on the shoulder. “‘Tuney!”

Fortuna stood up and looked at Pharynx. “Pharynx, has Thorax been injured before?”

Pharynx blinked, taken aback, but nodded. “Y-Yeah… it’s fine though, mother doesn’t usually hurt him badly enough to knock him out for more than a few hours.”

“Pharynx, that is not okay.” Fortuna snapped at him, and he blinked in surprise. “This isn’t okay. Thorax is terrified of her-”

“As he should be, mother is to be feared and worshipped.”

“By her subjects if she must have it that way. Not her own sons.” Fortuna told him. “Pharynx, Thorax shouldn’t be hurt like this, it’s wrong.”

“But mother doesn’t think it’s wrong. She says that we must prove ourselves through our strength and power to become her successor. I do. I am free to go. Thorax doesn’t. He gets punished.”

“That’s wrong too. Remember what I told you Pharynx? Everyone is wrong sometimes.”

“Then you could be wrong! You could be wrong right now! How do I know you’re not?!” Pharynx asked, voice raising as he stood, glaring and snarling at her.

“Pharyn-”

No! Tell me! Tell me how you’re not wrong! Tell me-”

Because that’s not what a mother should act like!”

Pharynx froze, then stopped to observe the female. Fortuna was now on her hooves, glaring at him, her breath coming out in ragged pants. He could taste high levels of stress from her. She glared at him, her golden eyes piercing into his.

“A mother should not feed her children lies about how strength equals violence. A mother should not tell her children the only way to prove themselves is through gaining physical strength! A mother should not put her children down because they don’t meet her expectations!”

Fortuna began breathing faster, and Pharynx watched her in concern as she tried to control her breaths. Fortuna finally managed to calm down, and straightened up, looking at Thorax with tears in her eyes.

“...A mother should never beat her own children to the brink of death.” she stated. Pharynx looked at his brother, genuine concern hitting him hard.

“B-But mother-”

“Is no mother.” Fortuna lifted his chin. “Phary, don’t listen to her, please. All she does is tell you lies.”

“Then who am I supposed to listen to, oh great and wise one?” Pharynx snarked, glaring at her.

“That’s your own decision.” Fortuna hugged him. “But let me just tell you one thing. You are not your mother.”

“What?”

“You are not Chrysalis. You share her blood, but that doesn’t mean you are her. You needn’t be like her.”

“But she wants me to be the next king.”

“Because she believes that’s what you were born to be, what she raised you to believe you would be. But I don’t think it’s what you want. What do you want, Pharynx?”

“I…” Pharynx closed his eyes, then looked up at her, purple eyes stern with certainty. “I want to be Head General. Like you. I don’t want to sit around and give orders. I want to be at the front of the battle.”

“Then that is what you shall be. Fate can only take us so far. It is your abilities that will carry you beyond your mother’s short-sighted expectations, Phary. You shall serve the Hive as a devoted general. Not because you were forced to. But because you want to.”

Pharynx smiled softly, then looked at Thorax. “U-Uh… Fortuna, can you stay tonight? I-uh, I think Thorax would feel safer.”

Fortuna smiled and led him over to the nest. “Alright, I can stay.”