• Published 24th Jun 2022
  • 281 Views, 10 Comments

The Young Warrior: Pharynx's Journey - Melody Song



Years before the events of the Young Warrior, Pharynx Elytron is chosen by Aureum in Generali, the Golden General, to be her apprentice.

  • ...
 10
 281

A Journey Starts

“Step away from my brother!” a child’s voice rang out amidst the crowded nursery.

Three nymphs quivered in their hooves as a bigger nymph stormed towards them. His piercing eyes were unlike the others’ eyes, a deep lavender color, matching his jagged purple carapace and wings. His small red neckfin was flared up at the group of nymphs.

“W-We were just complimenting his dollies!” one of the nymphs squeaked out in a desperate plea of self-preservation. The older nymph wasn’t having it.

In a flash of transformation magic, the nymph was a roaring bug monster. The beast towered over the younger nymphs, who screeched and fled, crying for their parents. The older nymph transformed back and approached the quivering nymph hiding in the corner.

“Thorax, they’re gone.” he said, voice becoming slightly gentler as he approached.

Thorax peeked out, loosening his hold on the toys he’d been clutching, as though they’d protect him. He stood up and moved to his fellow nymph, smiling at him.

“Thanks Pharynx.” he said, but rather than respond, Pharynx picked up his brother’s hoof and began gently smacking his brother’s cheek with his own hoof.

“Heheh, why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?” he mocked, laughing.

“A-Ack! C-Cut it out Pharynx!” Thorax whimpered, pushing his brother back slightly. Pharynx rolled his eyes and stepped away from him.

“Hmph. They were right, you know.” Pharynx nodded in the direction the bullying nymphs had gone. “You need to have tougher skin.”

“I-I try! I just… I don’t think I’m like that...” Thorax said, and Pharynx rolled his eyes.

“Sure, whatever. But one day you're going to have to stand up for yourself. I won't always be able to protect you, y'know.” Pharynx grabbed his hoof and he flinched. “Come on, mother was looking for us.”

“O-Oh…” Thorax sighed and tucked his dolls into a small hiding place in the wall. Pharynx rolled his eyes again, making a mental note of the spot for later, then dragged him off.

The older nymph pulled his little brother through the winding hallways, as the small changeling somehow always got lost. Thorax always had trouble figuring out the right tunnels to take. Pharynx, on the other hoof, knew the paths instinctually like most changelings. Even as they shifted and morphed to confuse any enemies, he could find the fastest way to any room. Soon enough, they reached the throne room, and Pharynx released Thorax’s hoof.

Pharynx held himself high as he strode past the guards, who bowed to him, as commanded by the Queen. He grinned slightly, fangs bared, letting the soldiers know that their lives were in his hooves if he so chose. He loved to watch them tremble under his gaze. They may be bigger than him, and older. But they weren't the children of the Queen. This time, the image was marred slightly by his younger brother’s nervous squeaking, but Pharynx chose not to acknowledge it as he strode by.

The pathway opened up into a large throne room, and at the back of the room, Chrysalis-regina, Queen of the Changelings, sat tall and stern on her throne. Her head tilted downward slightly in a silent greeting, and Pharynx mimicked the nod in kind.

“Pharynx-puer, Thorax-puer.”

As usual, the Queen greeted her sons formally, using the appropriate suffixes for their names. It was nothing more than business to her, and they were used to it. In some ways, Pharynx respected her for it. Thorax didn't seem to share the same sentiments, but Pharynx hardly expected him to. They were very different creatures, despite being blood.

“My Queen, you summoned us?” Pharynx bowed to the regal changeling, Thorax following his lead.

“Rise.” Chrysalis stood from her throne and walked to them. The two stood up, straightening their stances and looking straight ahead. “Tell me, Pharynx-puer, who are you?”

“Pharynx Elytron-princeps-puer. Son of Chrysalis-regina.” he replied on command.

“Your brother?”

“Thorax Glyder-princeps-puer. Son of Chrysalis-regina.”

“And how old are you two?”

“Five come May.”

“Good.” Chrysalis walked past them, looking out a window nearby. “Come.”

Pharynx trotted towards her obediently, Thorax scrambling to follow. Chrysalis chose not look at them, surveying the territory below for a moment. Pharynx didn't understand what her fascination was with it, to be honest. It was completely barren, had been for as long as any changeling could remember. It was said that the ancient changelings were so love starved they drained the very land of love.

“One day, Pharynx.” Chrysalis spoke at last, and Pharynx looked up at his towering mother. “This kingdom shall be yours. All this land below, yours to rule, as you see fit. Do you know when that day will come?”

“When you pass on, mother?”

“Wrong.” Chrysalis gazed at him, eyes cold. “When you prove yourself worthy. I could be gone for years, you could be ruling with my crown on your head, yet unless you proved yourself you would never truly be King. Do you understand?”

Pharynx’s pupil-less, lavender eyes narrowed, gazing at her with full certainty. “Yes mother. I understand perfectly.”

“Good. You may leave.” Chrysalis told him. Pharynx bowed to her before leaving. Thorax tried to follow him. “Thorax-puer. Stay.”

Thorax whimpered, but Pharynx ignored it, walking out of the throne room.

Pharynx walked down the halls towards the room he and Thorax shared. He knew what his mother meant. Soon, when they were five, they would be apprenticed, and it would be up to Pharynx to prove himself as a worthy and capable warrior drone. If he couldn't, nothing would stop Chrysalis from having to appoint him her heir, they both knew Thorax would never be up to the task. But he would never be truly worthy of the crown unless he was able to show her that he could command an army. First Head General, then, heir to the throne.

Pharynx made it to the room he shared with his brother, stepping inside and sinking into the moss nest they shared. He curled up within it, dozing lightly, and only knew Thorax had returned when he heard sniffling. Pharynx looked up silently, seeing the younger nymph covered in small cuts and bruises. Pharynx ignored Thorax's cries as he gathered some cobwebs and began covering his cuts.

“P-Pharynx?” Thorax whispered, but Pharynx didn’t respond, merely finishing bandaging him up before returning to the nest. “O-Okay… I love you brother.”

Pharynx still said nothing, waiting until he felt his brother crawl into the nest beside him. Only then did he roll over and fall back asleep.