• Published 24th Jun 2022
  • 281 Views, 10 Comments

The Young Warrior: Pharynx's Journey - Melody Song



Years before the events of the Young Warrior, Pharynx Elytron is chosen by Aureum in Generali, the Golden General, to be her apprentice.

  • ...
 10
 281

Patrol Play

“Now, remember Pharynx, we’re to patrol the Hive today, and we won’t expect to cross any other changeling patrols. That means we must be on alert and focused on our surroundings.” Fortuna reminded the nymph as they made their way through the undergrowth at the very edge of their territory. It was the only land there that wasn't barren, and Pharynx liked the vegetation, it made him feel like he was on the hunt.

“I know, Fortuna-domina, ma’am.” Pharynx responded to her, walking beside his mentor sternly. Fortuna nodded at him in approval.

“Brilliant. Now, as you know, winter is coming. What does that mean?”

“Hibernation.”

“Exactly. So we have to do a good job at patrolling in the next few weeks, before the borders will be left unguarded through the winter.”

“I understand that it’s a big responsibility, Tuney, but I can handle it.” Pharynx dismissed.

“Oh, is that so?” Fortuna chuckled. “Hey Phary.”

“Yes?”

“Why not practice pouncing on that leaf just there?” Fortuna asked, and Pharynx looked over at it.

“But I can pounce on a full-sized bird and kill it in one minute.” Pharynx said, looking up at her. “Why would I pounce on something that won’t even run?”

“Because it’s fun to act your age.” Fortuna said

“I am acting my age!”

“No you’re not.” Fortuna cuffed him around the ears. “You may be growing up but you’re still a nymph. You’re not yet an adult. So show me Phary, how does a nymph pounce on a leaf?”

“They don’t.”

“Phary… come off it, you know what they say, all work and no play makes for a dull colt.”

“Then I’m dull. I don’t have time for playing. Training and beating up the dummies that try to hurt my brother is a full time job.” Pharynx said stubbornly.

“Oh come on, not even just one quick game?”

“You said yourself that we had to be vigilant.”

“True, but I didn’t say we couldn’t play.” Fortuna grabbed a leaf and threw it at him, giggling as it fluttered to the ground harmlessly.

“For a General you sure do act like a larvae.” Pharynx remarked, trying to hide a smirk.

“It’s all in good fun Phary. Go on, you try.”

Pharynx raised a brow, and she nudged him.

“Remember when I taught you to play chess?”

“Yes, I won.” he said proudly, grinning at her. Fortuna just gave him a smirk.

“After how many rounds?”

Pharynx hesitated. “...Ten.”

“Exactly. You lost the first nine times, but it was fun, wasn’t it?”

“I-I guess so…”

“There are all different kinds of fun.” Fortuna reminded him. “Some changelings like to read, others like to play mind games like chess, and others like to run around as though they were carefree and young nymphs again.”

“Well, I prefer mind games then.”

“That doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy running around. You like sparring, right?”

“Yes?”

“It’s active and you’re running and jumping, right?” Fortuna pressed, and Pharynx nodded. “It’s similar to playing for you.”

Pharynx could tell where she was going with this, and he knew he wanted no part in it. “‘Tuney, stop it, that isn’t going to work.”

“Oh, it’s not, is it? I guess I’ll have to teach you another lesson then.”

“What?”

“Always enter a fight with a Plan B!” Fortuna then tackled him, causing him to fall over with a shriek.

“‘T-Tuney!” Pharynx exclaimed, and was about to start struggling, but then he realized something. Fortuna was hardly holding him down, her muscles were relaxed, and there was still a playful smile on her face.

“Is something wrong, Phary?”

"Tuney, I can get up easily, why are you holding me down?”

“So I can do this!” Fortuna leaned down and nipped him up by the back of his neck, beginning to carry him off proudly, like a warrior boasting their catch.

“H-Hey! P-Put me down!” Pharynx protested, wiggling. Fortuna giggled and hoisted him higher.

“Why, look, I’ve caught the elusive Phary Elytron! Only one of its kind, how rare!”

“‘Tuney!” Pharynx turned red, struggling. “Put me down!”

“Blimey, he’s a feisty one!” Fortuna said, grinning. Pharynx squealed and struggled. “But he’s not strong enough to break free from Aureum in generali!”

Pharynx crossed his hooves, pouting as he was carried off by his mentor. She continued patrolling for a little while longer, all while Pharynx dangled from her grasp. Then, as Pharynx closed his eyes, succumbing to his mentor’s teasing hold on him, something cold touched his nose.

“Eeek!” He opened his eyes, looking around. “T-Tuney, what was that?”

Fortuna chuckled and set him down. “Look up, Phary.”

Pharynx blinked and looked up, seeing a cloud of tiny white flakes. One floated down and landed on his nose. Pharynx yelped, then licked it off, swiping his tongue across his muzzle.

“Tuney, it’s cold!” Pharynx exclaimed, and Fortuna chuckled. “What? What is it?”

“It’s called snow. It came a little earlier this year, it usually only comes during hibernation.” Fortuna looked around. “It’ll cover the whole of the territory soon.”

“But it’s tiny!”

“Sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest difference.” Fortuna told him calmly, and he blinked.

Pharynx looked around in wonder, staring at the white flecks. He reached out to a falling snowflake, then tapped his hoof against it. It hit the ground, and a chill wind caused a few more to swirl around. Pharynx’s eyes widened, then, he let a giggle slip out.

Before he knew it, he was leaping and giggling, batting at the snowflakes. He growled playfully, trying to touch each and every one. Suddenly, he was brought back to reality by the sound of laughing. He turned red and looked over, seeing his mentor rolling in a thin layer of snow, laughing loudly.

“H-Hey! ‘Tuney, stop laughing!”

“Aw, but you’re so cute!”

“I-I am not!!” Pharynx whined, and Fortuna sat up, laughing still.

“Heheh, sure, sure. Are you having fun, at least?”

“...Y-Yes…” Pharynx admitted quietly. Fortuna stood up, walking to him.

“Then that’s all that matters. Come on, let’s see if we can do some hunting while we finish this patrol.”

“O-Okay Tuney…”