• Published 29th May 2022
  • 830 Views, 59 Comments

MLP A New Generation 3: The Rise of Armored Hoof - TwiShine45



Sunny still searches for answers, a band plays excellent music, and they all try to save Equestria

  • ...
2
 59
 830

Chapter 18

Meanwhile, Armored Hoof prepared to play their next concert. Maretime Bay Day was the premiere event of the year in town, and none of the ponies wanted to mar the occasion. So, they practiced with double the passion as before. Their first album, Celestia, had gone on sale and had quickly moved all of its copies. So, Zipp ordered more printed, and soon enough, those had all been sold as well. Armored Hoof’s popularity shot through the roof via simple word of mouth, which was how the band had sold itself when it first started over a millennium beforehand.

Quarter was extremely pleased with the band’s sudden success, and he had one pony to thank for it: Zipp. If she hadn’t believed in his abilities to continue leading the group, they wouldn’t be in the happy situation that they found themselves. Everypony’s contributions had been important, yes, but Zipp had worked tirelessly. She promoted the group, acted as their de facto manager, and even gave them access to her home for practice and meetings. Armored Hoof would have died if not for her, and Quarter knew it. He also knew that her encouragement and deep seated friendship had pushed him in a new direction, too…one that was less economical and much more romantic.

Their dating life had increased to the point where, when possible, they did everything together. Sure, a lot of their dates consisted of talking about the band and new song ideas, but Quarter didn’t care. This was a mare he hadn’t known since Princess Twilight herself. He was thrilled every time Zipp was around him. Her eyes glowed with a fierce thirst for knowledge. Her mane was like a pink and blue streak in the sky. Every word she spoke betrayed intelligence, curiosity, and an endless need to simply be involved. She tried to pass herself off as somewhat introverted, but he saw beyond the façade. On the inside, she needed other ponies around…and, he hoped, she needed love as well.

The night before their headlining set at Maretime Bay Day, the two found themselves alone on the roof of her home. It wasn’t a lavish place, but certainly fit the high flying detective’s knack for both mysteriousness and playfulness. They’d been out on the town for a nice dinner, followed by a movie at the local theater. Unfortunately, their film experience had not been quite as nice as their dinner experience. The movie…well…to put it in Zipp’s own words…sucked. It was an hour and a half long attempt at romantic comedy that fell completely flat on its face. So it was that they wound up on her roof laughing about the lack of laughter in the theater.

“I can’t believe how stupid that was!” Zipp said, wiping tears from her eyes.

“I know, right?” Quarter agreed. “I mean, for crying out loud, the main pony fell in love with a tent pole!”

“How in Equestria did anypony think THAT would be cinematic gold?” Zipp asked semi-rhetorically.

“I don’t know, but I know this…I could make a better movie with my hooves tied behind my back, sitting on my rump, under a stone!”

“Oh, man,” Zipp said, wiping yet another laugh induced bit of liquid away. “You know…laughter is something that’s…rare for me.”

“What do you mean?” Quarter asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Well…Pipp and I used to laugh all the time when we were fillies,” Zipp said, ears beginning to droop. “But…now…I’m so busy, and she’s so busy, and our friends are…well…”

“Busy?” Quarter asked with a smirk.

“Oh, ha-ha,” She said, playfully shoving his shoulder. “But, we are all really engrossed in our lives and Maretime Bay Day and the whole Scarlet Wing thing-“

“-stop,” he suddenly said.

“What?” She asked.

“Just stop,” he said again.

“Why?” She asked.

“Because, you’re focusing on all the hectic parts of your life. Why not just sit here with me and look at that amazing sky overhead?”

Zipp turned upwards as Quarter pointed a hoof. He was right. The masterpiece of stars and planets stretched out before her eyes. They were all tiny dots way up there and she’d always wondered about them. Scientists in Zephyr Heights had made some amazing discoveries when she was young. They knew more about the sky and space than anypony in all Equestria. It had been these discoveries that kickstarted her deep want for scientific and mathematically inculcated knowledge. Through this, she’d fallen in love with history and the written word as well. All she wanted was to understand the world around her and the ponies who had come before her.

“Di…did you ever want something so bad it made your hooves shake?” She asked.

Quarter smiled. “Yes, Zipp, I did…a long, long time ago.”

Zipp smiled back. “I assume you mean Princess Twilight.”

“Well…yes…but now…I’m in a position where my hooves are shaking yet again.”

Zipp blushed deeply as she realized he was referring to her. “Wait…you mean…”

“Yes, I do, Zipp,” Quarter said. “We’ve known each other for quite a while now, and I’ve been so thrilled with the way our friendship has developed. I’ve been doing some long, hard thinking, and…well…I believe I’m in love with you.”

Zipp’s blush deepened. She knew that she liked Quarter, but love? Love was…something more. It was complicated, it was scary, and it was severe. It was brutal and gentle all at the same time. She wanted to push back against it, yet she also wanted its warmth to cover her like the softest of coats. Her eyes darted this way and that, trying desperately to come up with a response. Her mind whirled in a sea of confusion and mutuality. Yes, she couldn’t deny that she did have feelings for Quarter, and some of them were definitely driving towards love. Yet…she just…couldn’t bring herself to say it. It was as if somepony were holding her back.

“I…I…” She stammered.

“I know, it’s sudden,” he said. “But, I can’t pull back any longer. Zipp, you’re the most amazing pony I’ve ever known, and that includes Twilight. While my affections for her were very special, I can’t hold onto them forever. Zipp…I love you.”

“I…I…I love you, too,” she finally managed to say.