• Published 17th Jan 2023
  • 1,662 Views, 78 Comments

Twilight's Duel School of Friendship: Sophomore Year - k00l



Year 2 has begun in Twilight's School of Friendship and Dueling. The Student Six are about to exprience an even crazier year than the last as an ancient enemy makes a horrific return.

  • ...
3
 78
 1,662

Chapter 28: Into the Void

The group slowly enters the Hollow Shades. It looked like the place had been abandoned since Starsiwirl's time. The place was run down and empty, but the feeling of dread and darkness hung over the entire shades.

"This place is bigger and scarier than I thought it would be," Sandbar spoke as he felt a chill run up his spine.

"What if the Shadows get the jump on us?" Ocellus whined.

"They won't, we are ready for anything," Gallus reassured by placing his claw on Ocellus's withers.

"I don't even know if we really are ready. We've hardly ever gotten to fight the Shadows ourselves!" Said Silverstream.

"It's just like any other duel, just more painful and your soul is on the line." Said Smolder.

"Is friend Smolder supposed to be helping?" Asked Yona with an unamused look. Starswirl suddenly stops and the group stops with him.

"What's wrong Starswirl? Why are you stopping?" Neighsay raises an eyebrow.

"This place is full of Shadows, if we stay as a group, we are just going to be walking around in a circle. We must split up and look for the Pony of Shadows in groups." Said Starswirl.

"Is...isn't that dangerous?" Gizmo stuttered.

"Yes, it is young one. But do not fear, you go with the other students as one group. Discord, Neighsay, and Spike as another, then me and Twilight will be a third." Starswirl informed.

"Why three groups?" asked Spike.

"There should only be 3 Shadow Riders left. This way we have a good amount of ponies taking them on if we run into them." Said Starswirl. "Not to mention, there is still the Pony of Shadows himself, and he will be immensely powerful. Taking him on as a group is the smartest thing to do."

The group separates into their own separate groups and split up. Discord, Spike, and Neighsay are in what looks like what used to be a market district where the ponies who once lived here came to get and sell food. The huts look disheveled, and the shelves only hold dust where fruits and veggies once lay. Spike wipes his claw on one of the counters and his claw gets covered in a layer of dust.

"Gross... Why would the Pony of Shadows make this his home?" Asked Spike as he shook a bunch of dust from his claw.

"It's dark and secluded. Perfect for any shadow." Said Neighsay peeking into an abandoned hut.

"And it's quite cozy I must say." Said Discord who looked around smiling.

"If you think this is cozy, then remind me to tell Twilight to never make you an interior designer for the school." Said Spike sarcastically.

"Shhh! Quiet. I think I hear something..." Said Neighsay. They all freeze and stay quiet. Neighsay was staring at an old hut. He narrows his eyes and activates his duel disk. "You two stay here, I will check it out." Neighsay then slowly enters the hut quietly. After a bit without hearing much from inside, Neighsay's voice could be heard inside. "Spike, Your assistance is required."

"Huh? Me Chancellor? Ok, Be back Discord." Said Spike going inside the hut as well.

"You do that." Said Discord. Discord was left all alone, he stood there picking at his teeth and examining his claw nails. His eyes go wide when he suddenly hears the sound of some pony crying. He turns behind him to see another hut, but pitch black inside. It was strange, but the crying almost sounded like...

"Fluttershy?" Asked Discord slowly approaching the hut. The closer he got the louder it became. When he gets right up to the hut, it suddenly stops. Discord looks all around him. He sighs heavily before entering the hut. The students, however, went in an opposite direction, heading towards what looked like the town center. There were huts side by side forming a circle and in the center, was an old well.

"This place is creepy. How much longer till we find the Pony of Shadows?" Silverstream complained as she looked around.

"I don't know, how about you call for him." Said Smolder sarcastically.

"Hey, good idea!" Silverstream said enthusiastically.

"Wait Silver, I was joking-" Said Smolder before being cut off.

"PONY OF SHADOWS!!! WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!?" Yelled Silverstream as loud as she could.

"Silverstream! Stop! We don't want to draw too much attention! What if he and the other the rest of the Shadows Riders heard that as well!" Gallus quickly covers Silverstream's beak with his claw. Her voice is muffled, causing her to pull away from Gallus so she can speak.

"We would have to fight them eventually as well," Silverstream informed.

"But not all at once!" Said Yona.

"g-Guys, you hear that?" Asked Gizmo. They all turned their attention to the well that sounded like it was gurgling. They take a few steps back as a black sludge oozed from it and pooled up in front of the well. Slowly, a large mass began to rise from it, taking the shape of a pony. Soon, the black sludge fully morphs into the pony and he looks at the students. His robe was already fitted like a cape with a huge collar. He Chuckles at the 7 students as they look at him with horror.

"Wh-Who is that?" Asked Smolder while pointing a claw at the Shadow Rider.

"I've never seen him before," Gallus said as he shook.

"I am Macabre. I am the one who took down both the Element of Hope, and Generosity." Macabre chuckled darkly.

"You beat Professor Rarity and Somnambula?" Asked Ocellus, hiding behind Sandbar.

"Of course, I did, with my onslaught of Vampires." Chuckled Macabre, showing his fangs.

"V-Vampires!?" Yona cried out in shock.

"Cut the act emo! You're not a vampire yourself either!" Gallus challenged, puffing out his chest feathers.

"Then how about you duel me and find out? If you win, I'll show you where my master is hiding." challenged Macabre.

"Deal!" Said Gizmo stepping up.

"Giz, you sure you want to face him?" Asked Sandbar.

"Yeah, we need to find the Pony of Shadows. And since you guys need to be protected at all costs, I will duel this time." Said Gizmo. He then steps forward and activates his duel disk. Macabre chuckles again and the shadows form his duel disk.

"DUEL"

[Gizmo vs. Macabre]

"I will take the first turn. Draw." Said Macabre. He looks disappointed in his opening hoof. "I summon the Blue-Blooded Oni! {1000atk. 1700def. Lv4} A blue angry bat-like creature is summoned to the field. The purple mist then begins to form around the players. "When he is normal or special summoned, I can instantly switch him into the defense position. I place one card face down, and that is my turn."

"My move, I draw my card." Said Gizmo. "First, I summon Beta, The Magnet Warrior! {1700atk. 1600def. Lv4} Now I will equip him with Power Pickaxe! This gives him a 500 attack point boost, making him 2200! Not only that, once per turn, I can remove from play one monster from your grave that has a level equal to or less than my magnet warrior. Beta, attack his oni!" With Beta's new pickaxe, he swings it and destroys the oni. "Now I will enter my second main phase to banish your monster from the grave. After that, I end." Macabre makes a low hissing noise and banishes his monster.

[Gizmo 4 cards/ Macabre 4 cards]

"My move again, draw." Said Macabre. "Heh, I activate the continuous spell Vampire's Domain!" Directly above them. A Blood Moon rises over the playing field, shadowing the playing field. The crimson glow hovers over Macabre who then stretches out his bat-like wings. The revelation of this causes the students to audibly gasp. "Heheheh. See how I am no longer a joke to you? heheheh. Allow me to reveal to you the effect of my spell card. Each turn I can pay 500 life points, then I can perform a second summon alongside my normal summon, as long as I summon a vampire monster. Even if you destroy this card, if I pay my 500 life points I can still perform the second summon. Now watch as I give up my life points." A red aura surrounds Macabre that then is absorbed by the blood moon. "Gah... Now I summon the Red-Headed Oni! {1700atk. 1000def. Lv4}. But he isn't staying for long, as I use him as a tribute to summon the Vampire Lord! {2000atk. 1500def. Lv5}"

"You must have failed math. With the power pickaxe, my Beta is stronger than your vampire." Said Gizmo.

"I know that child. So to ensure you won't attack, I play the spell Nightmare's Steel Cage!" Said Macabre. A large cage manifests around Gizmo, trapping him and his monster. "This spell prevents all monsters from attacking for two of your turns. I now end.

[Gizmo 4000/ Macabre 3500]

[Gizmo 4 cards/ Macabre 1 card]

Gizmo looked all around him, he was completely enclosed by the steel cage.

"Gizmo! You ok buddy!" Yelled Sandbar.

"Y-Yeah! I'm fine!" He replied. He was shaking really badly as he looked back at Macabre. "I draw. Ha! Too bad for your Vampire. If I can't destroy him by battle, then I'll destroy him in another way. I activate the spell Raigeki! This destroys all monsters on your side of the field!" A large bolt of lightning comes down and destroys the Vampire Lord. The students behind Gizmo begin to cheer for him, Macabre however looks unphased. "Now I will set one card and summon the Green Gadget! {1400atk. 600def. Lv4} Whenever I summon Green Gadget I add Red Gadget to my hoof. Now I end!"

"Dude! Gizmo is playing like a real pro! How come he never dueled like that against you Sandbar?" Gallus nudges Sandbar in the side with his elbow.

"I don't know. Looking back, it appears he held back. But he isn't now." Sandbar scratches his chin with his hoof.

"My turn. I draw." Said Macabre. Suddenly a bunch of bats fly past the students and onto the playing field. This causes a lot of confusion as the bats all fly to one spot on the field and begin to take on a new shape. To their surprise, they turn into the Vampire Lord.

"WHAT!? But I destroyed him!" yelled Gizmo, eyes wide with shock.

"You fool! When Vampire Lord is destroyed by a card effect, he returns to my side of the field during my standby phase." Macabre. let out a deep chuckle

"Dude...that would have been useful to know." Gizmo gulps hard.

"Heheheh. Now watch closely. I summon the Vampire Familiar to my field. {500atk. 0def. Lv1} Now I offer my life points again!" The red aura surrounds him again before being absorbed by the blood moon. "ugh... Grah! Now I summon to the field, using my familiar as tribute, the Vampire Duke! {2000atk. 0def. Lv5}. Now I build the Overlay network to summon Xzy summon Crimson Knight Vampire Bram! {2500atk. 0def. Lv5 Xyz}. Bram is summoned to the field and stands before Gizmo, smirking evilly. Gizmo Gulps at the sight of the monster. "I now end my turn."

[Gizmo 3 cards/ Macabre 0 cards]

[Gizmo 4000/ Macabre 3000]

"M-My t-t-turn. draw." Said Gizmo. "I switch both Beta and my gadget into defense mode and I end."

"Dude, there he goes again. Now that Macabre out-trumped him, he lost all hype he built up for himself." Smolder pointed out.

"I think that's his problem. As soon as someone does better than him, he panics and then holds back." Said Ocellus.

"Well, he isn't gonna do it this time. I'll make sure of it." Sandbar narrows his eyes in determination. He wasn't going to allow Gizmo to lose his soul.

"What a pathetic turn. I activate my face down, Tragedy. When a face-up monster switches to defense, this card destroys all defensive position monsters on your side of the field!" Said Macabre.

"Oh no!" Silverstream yelled while bringing both of her claws up to cover her beak.

"W-wait! Hold on!" Said Gizmo, but it was too late. A large explosion destroys both of his monsters on the field, leaving him defenseless.

"HAHAHA! Now it's time to take my turn. I draw!" Said Macabre. "Two of your turns have passed, so Nightmare Steel Cage dissipates! Now Bram! Attack him directly!" Bram Lifts his sword and brings it down on Gizmo. Gizmo cries out from the attack and is sent flying.

"Gizmo!" Yelled Ocellus. While on the ground, the Red aura that had been surrounding Macabre is now surrounding Gizmo. but instead of being absorbed by the Blood Moon, it floats over to Macabre. Slowly he opens his mouth wide as it appears to unhinge, his fangs grow to a massive size and he hisses in delight. The expression he made was horrifying and sent chills down the student's spines. Soon the aura floats directly into Macabre's mouth and he appears to swallow it. He licks his lips and then closes his mouth.

"What... What was that about?" asked Gizmo shaking in fear.

"It's the second effect of Vampire's Domain. Every time my Vampires deal battle damage to you, I receive the same, but in life point gain instead." Macabre chuckles in devilish delight.

"....Celestia help me..." Gizmo whimpered, curling into a ball on the ground.

"Giz! You have to get your head in the game!" Sandbar approaches the edge of the shadows.

"I...I can't! He really is a Vampire! I don't want to fight him anymore!" Cried Gizmo.

[Gizmo 1500/ Macabre 5500]

[Gizmo 4 cards/ Macabre 1 card]

"Gizmo, listen to me. You cannot give up on a duel once you start one." Said Sandbar.

"But... but look at him!" Said Gizmo, pointing at Macabre.

"I'm not talking about just now, I'm talking about ever since we met you. You play strong in the beginning, but once someone does one good move, you cower in fear! That's not what a duelist does." Said Sandbar. Gizmo blinks a few times while looking at Sandbar.

"But... If I know if I'm going to lose, then why bother?" Gizmo adverts his eyes away from Sandbar, unable to now look him in the eyes.

"You don't know if you're gonna lose! Nobody knows when they are gonna lose. But the fear you're gonna lose holds you back. Do you want to be a great duelist?" Asked Sandbar.

"Yes, o-of course I do." Gizmo looks back at him.

"Then you must duel with heart, and You do not have the heart of a duelist!" Sandbar said bluntly. Gizmo looks genuinely upset by Sandbar's words. "Great duelists do not give up, great duelists play until the last card has been played. If you want to show us that you have the heart of a great duelist, then prove it! Get back up and prove me wrong!" Said Sandba, stomping his hoof for emphasis. Gizmo looks back at Macabre and then back at Sandbar. Slowly he gets back up and faces Macabre.

"M-My turn...I draw." Said Gizmo. His eyes sparkle upon seeing the card he drew. He looks at the other cards in his hoof and immediately forms a strategy. "Hey, This might actually work! I summon to the field, Gamma the Magnet Warrior! {1500atk. 1600def. Lv4} Now I activate the spell Magnet Induction! If I control a level 4 or lower Magnet warrior card, then I can special summon another Magnet warrior from my deck with a different name than the one on my field. I special summon Alpha, the Magnet Warrior! {1400atk. 1700def. Lv4}. Now all Magnet and Magna monsters cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effect until the rest of this turn. Now finally I activate Monster Reborn, to bring back Beta, the Magnet Warrior from my grave!" The Three magnet warriors stand proudly alongside each other.

"What was the point of this? All your monsters are pathetic and weak. You stand no chance whether or not you have 5 magnet warriors." Macabre looks unimpressed.

"Separate, yes they are weak. But wait until they come together!" Gizmo said proudly.

"Huh?" Macabre raises an eyebrow.

"I activate the effect of the card in my hoof, by tributing Alpha, Beta, and Gamma, I summon Valkyrion, The Magna Warrior! {3500atk. 3850def. Lv8}. Macabre flinches backward upon seeing the monster's overall attack while the students behind him cheer him on.

"Yeah! There you go Gizmo! Let him have it!" Cheered Gallus.

"Valkyrion! Destroy his Bram!" Commanded Gizmo. Valkyrion lifts his sword and clashes it with Bram. With a quick maneuver, he slides his sword past Bram's and stabs him in the heart.

[Gizmo 1500/ Macabre 4500]

[Gizmo 1 card/ Macabre 1 card]

Bram lets out a pained yell before being destroyed. Macabre shields himself from the blast. At first, he looks annoyed but then quickly smirks.

"Nice job you fool." Said Macabre. "You set yourself up to fail. By my next turn, my unbeatable strategy will activate, and you will lose this duel."

"Maybe it's a good thing this duel is over now." Said Gizmo.
"Impossible! Your Valkyrion has only 3500 attack. Even with a direct attack, you cannot finish me, besides, you attacked with him already." Said Macabre.

"Oh no, I still have three more!" Said Gizmo as he is the one smirking now. "I activate Valkyrion's effect! If Alpha, Beta, and Gamma are all three in my graveyard, I can tribute Valkyrion to return all three Magnet Warriors to the field!" Valkyrion glows a bright glow before Separating into the three Magnet Warriors. "Now Add up their attack Macabre, 1400 plus 1500 plus 1700, is 4600 total attack! 100 points more than you are willing to spare!"

"Yeah Gizmo!" Cheered Silverstream as Macabre hisses in surprise.

"Alpha, Beta, and Gamma! Finish him off!" Said Gizmo. All at once the three Magnet Warriors attack and crush Macabre with a devastating attack, draining him of all his life points.

[Gizmo Vs. Macabre: Winner Gizmo]

The students begin cheering for Gizmo who actually smiles and turns back towards the student. He looks at Sandbar who is also smiling for him. Their celebration however was cut short when they heard a loud hiss behind Gizmo. Macabre was still standing and he looked very angry. He unhinged his jaw again and appeared he was about to pounce. Just before he could, however, a large pillar of shadows comes out of the well and crashes hard onto Macabre.

"GAH!... Ow! huh? W-Wait!" Yelled Macabre as the Shadows then started to drag him towards the well. "Let me go! LET ME GO! HISSSSSSSSSSS!!! NOOOOOOO!!!" Macabre yelled before being pulled into the well. He holds onto the sides for dear life but is yanked down hard. His hissing could be heard as he was pulled into the darkness until it faded away.

"Dude... That was dramatic." Said Smolder.

"No fair! Bat Pony said he'd tell Yona friends where Shadow Pony was!" Said Yona. Ocellus slowly approaches the well Macabre was dragged into and looks down.

"...Maybe he did." Said Ocellus, peering down into the black abyss
.
"You mean, you think he may be down the well? Seriously?" Asked Gallus as he looked down the well as well.

"Well, we went down a well when the Tree of Harmony tested us last year." Ocellus pointed out.

"A well of Harmony, and a well of Shadows. How original." Joked Sandbar.

"Are you children alright!?" Said Twilight. The students turn where they heard Headmare Twilight's voice. She was joined by Starswirl, but not the rest of the group.

"Hi headmare. yeah, we're fine." Said Silverstream.

"Where is everyone else?" Asked Smolder.

"We don't know. We called their names but we can't find them." Starswirl said regretfully.

"You think the Shadows got them?" Gallus looked a bit fearful.

"I'm unsure, but we heard the noises of a duel and made our way to you 7." Said Starswirl.

"And we also believe what Ocellus said. The Shadows would thrive in an old dark well like that." Said Twilight as she and Starswirl approached the old well.

"How are we supposed to even get down there?" Asked Silverstream.

"You children need to know the first rule of survival. Always bring a rope." Said Twilight using her magic to pull rope out of her Saddle bag.

"Now let's get down there." Said Starswirl. One by one they all slowly climbed their way down the well by tying one end of the rope to a sturdy rock. Soon it was just Twilight and Gizmo at the top.

"Come on Gizmo, you're next," Twilight said while gesturing with her hoof towards the rope.

"I think I'll stay up here." Said Gizmo.

"Huh? Why?" asked Twilight tilting her head to the side.

"For one, one of us needs to stay up here in case the rope breaks, so that someone up here knows you're down there and could get help. Two I'll be here in case the others eventually make their way here and I can fill them in on what is happening" Gizmo smiles reassuringly.
"Very well. You stay safe then Gizmo." Twilight pats him on the shoulder.

"I will headmare." Gizmo smiled at his headmare. Twilight soon then makes her way down the well herself.

End of Chapter 27