• Published 22nd May 2022
  • 377 Views, 7 Comments

Paradise in Limbo - Undome Tinwe



In Limbo, a Gardener cultivates a place of peace for a Lost Princess.

  • ...
1
 7
 377

The Wise

The Lost Princess was happier than the Gardener had ever seen her before.

"Perhaps it was foolhardy to consult the Sorcerer first," she recounted with a smile as they watered the roses.

The Gardener laughed. "Oh dear. I take it that his insight was not illuminating?"

The Lost Princess shook her head fondly. "I believe he is under the impression that love is a source of mechanical power, like the Sun. The answer I received was quite technical on the effects of a loving bond on the thaumic output of a spell, which would likely have been more useful if I also had spent eons poring over thaumaturgy texts as he has."

"I'm afraid that is the Sorcerer's nature," the Gardener said, snipping off a few thorns that might accidentally have pricked someone. "His knowledge of lore is unparalleled, but his understanding of that which drives the soul can be... questionable at times."

"So I gathered," the Lost Princess replied dryly.

"Perhaps you should speak to the Faithful Student instead," the Gardener suggested. "She possesses both wisdom and knowledge in great abundance."

"The Faithful Student has departed from this realm," the Lost Princess said. "She was too beloved to be trapped here for long, I feel, and her time finally came."

The Gardener watched as the Lost Princess carefully distributed the water in her can among the plants, so that none were left wanting or drowning. "I'm glad for her, and for you. Your study of Love has brought you much joy, I see."

"The more I learn, the more I am convinced that it was once a crucial part of who I was," the Lost Princess replied, pausing in her watering to smile at the Gardener. "It is a joyous endeavour, to grow wiser in this way."

The Gardener smiled back. "You speak truth. To know oneself is the wisdom that brings joy."

"Once again, I am grateful for this place for allowing me to reflect on what I've learned from my travels." Eyes lighting up in inspiration, the Lost Princess' smile grew wider. "You should accompany me sometime, Gardener. There is much to be gained from leaving the boundaries of your garden, and many sights to see in this realm of wonders."

The Gardener shook her head. "I am needed here to tend to my plants. And as I have said before, It is enough to hear the stories that others bring back about their travels."

The Lost Princess pouted. "One day I shall convince you."

"All things are possible here. However, I—"

The Gardener was not able to finish her sentence, as a wave of fear and anguish washed over her, thousands of souls whose cries echoed through all of Limbo. For a moment, she could do nothing but feel the helplessness in the face of uncertainty and destruction as her soul was caught up in the flood of emotion that had crashed into her.

And then, it was over, washed through her and moving outwards to the rest of the realm. The Gardener took a breath to steady herself, and anchored her mind on her garden and the Lost Princess standing beside her, similarly wide-eyed and shaking.

"I fear something terrible has happened," the Gardener said gravely when her voice returned to her. "I have never felt so many souls entering this realm at once, and in such a violent fashion as well."

The Lost Princess's eyes snapped towards hers, and in them the Gardener saw a different fear. "I must go," she whispered. "The souls who just arrived, they are connected to me somehow. I have to learn why."

The Gardener nodded. "Farewell, my friend. May you find the wisdom you seek, and please be careful. Remember that we are not invincible here."

"I shall. Goodbye, Gardener." With a haunted look in her expression, the Lost Princess trotted off, leaving behind a miasma of dread in her wake.

The Gardener tried to return to her watering, but her mind was fixed on the Lost Princess, and she eventually settled for meditating by the pond in the centre of the garden. She hoped that all would be well. Her Lost Princess was strong, and she would have to have faith in her ability to weather this new storm.

And the Garden would always be there for her when she needed it.