• Published 30th Mar 2022
  • 1,543 Views, 9 Comments

Helping Spike - FireQuill



After the final battle with Villain Three ended differently Spike is left hurt and changed. No creature is giving up on him or what he's lost, but he has a road ahead of him. Thank Celestia he has his friends.

  • ...
3
 9
 1,543

Visiting a Hurt Friend

In the town of Ponyville happy shouts other noises of celebration could be heard. Friends were embracing and some apologies were exchanged for the guilt of having the wool pulled over their eyes by the villainous trio of Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozyglow. While some of the wiser ponies recognized that some friendships were hurt and would take time to heal they fully believed they would, and the atmosphere in the town was ultimately a happy one.

In the Castle of Friendship on the other hand there was a somber silence. The only noise that sounded through the halls was the fall of clawed feat. Dragon Lord Ember moved briskly, trying to ignore the apprehension clawing in her gut, she knew why she was here and she would see it through. Turning down another hall she stopped at the sight of a younger orange dragones standing in front of the door that was her own destination.

“You too huh Smolder?” Ember called. The young dragon turned whipping an arm across her eyes, which when revealed were red. Just a short time ago Ember would have been tempted to mock her for having been crying, but that wasn’t how the Dragon Lord did things, not anymore. “You okay?”

“I.. I wanted to see him,” Smolder responded hoarsely. “But I just don’t know.. What to do… You know?”

“I get it,” Ember nodded. “Those injuries were brutal, even in the Dragon Lands I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like that.”

“It’s not fair,” Smolder growled and stomped her foot hard on the ground, her body tensed and shaking. “This shouldn’t have happened especially not to him! He didn’t deserve it!”

“Your right, but it did, and now all we can do is be there for him.” Smolder was quiet for a moment but relaxed and nodded. Ember silently stroked her scale fins, something that had become a habitual show of affection with younger dragons, before she took a breath and knocked on the door.

“Come in,” A voice called.

Ember pushed the door open and she and Smolder walked in to see a large bed with a creature unseen by the bundle of blankets wrapped around it, as a purple alicorn stayed beside the bed. The pony looked up, if Smolder’s eyes were red hers were absolutely crimson and puffy.

“Oh Ember, Smolder,” She tried to smile but it looked terribly forced. “I’m glad you came.”

“Of course, we had to Twilight,” Ember sighed walking over to the bed. Just poking out of the bundle of blankets was the head of a small purple dragon, Spike. He breathed easily looking at peace, but every creature knew beneath those blankets was a dragon with bandages on his back where his wings used to be.

“How is he doing?” Smolder asked quietly.

“He’s in a lot of pain,” Twilight winced. “No surprise that he would be but the healers were having a lot of trouble it was… Like his body was rejecting the healing magic, that’s never happened before.”

“It’s not like he’s ever had an injury this bad before I’m guessing,” Ember stated.

“No never,” Twilight shook her head. She stared at Spike and her lip began to quiver before she collapsed against the bed quietly sobbing. “This is all my fault.”

“Twilight I know that’s not true,” Ember insisted as she akwardly placed a clawed hand on the princes’ back.

“I shouldn’t have let him come!” Twilight cried. “I knew how dangerous the three of those villains were but I let him come! This wouldn’t have happened if I had just, I don’t know left him at the Crystal Empire!”

“He wouldn’t have let you do that,” Smolder spoke up, voice unchacteristically quiet but as firm as ever. “There was no way he was going to let you face them without being there himself.”

“I…I know you’re right Smolder,” Twilight admitted, tears slowing. “But I still feel so guilty and responsible. Ember squeezed the pony’s shoulder, she ran her tong over her teeth as she tried to find the words she need.

“This isn’t your fault Twilight, no creature thinks that but….” The fellow ruler sighed and asked the question that had been gnawing at her since seeing her friend hurt. “How did this happen?”

Twilight sat up, whipping her eyes and taking a shaky breath to compose herself she recounted the events.


It’s like you said Smolder, Spike wouldn’t let us go without him. He was scared, very scared but so were the rest of us, even if we didn’t show it. The plan was simple but I thought it was our best shot. Every creature who knows anything about us would expect Rainbow Dash to charge in and take the bell, or Pinkie Pie with her unpredictable nature. So instead myself and the two of them were serving as a distraction while the others were going to get the bell. At first everything was going fine, but then…

“Enough!!” Chrysalis shouted, her horn glowed and Spike thrashed in her magic hold. “Or the dragon gets his wings plucked!”

“Please don’t hurt him!” Twilight cried out, her heart threatening to jump out from her throat.

“Don’t worry about me! Just save- Argh!” Spike was cut off by a cry of pain as Chrysalis pulled.

“Alright, you can have the bell,” Twilight said holding the bell in her magic, “Please, just give him back.”

The ancient bell floated towards the villains, at the same time Spike floated back towards his friends. As soon as the bell was in reach Cozyglow snatched it, holding it like it was a lifeline with a deranged smile on her face.

“Now was that so hard Twilight?” Chrysalis mocked “However..” Her voice turned hard. “You’ve been a thorn in our sides, especially mine, and for that.”

Three magic auras flared and a scream that would forever haunt Twilight split the sky. The wounded dragon, now wingless was flung at Twilight, who caught him and held him against her as tightly but gently as she could. Screams of rage filled the air and Applejack grabbed Rainbow Dash while Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy grabbed Rairity, the three ponies dragging the friends to the ground though they clawed at the earth trying to get to the villians who laughed.

“T-Twilight!” Spike sobbed in pain, clinging to his best friend.

“I’m here Spike,” Twilight whispered, her mind was racing trying to think of anything she could do to help her friend. “I’m right here, you’re with me.”

“We’re all here Spikey,” Rarity said, eyes still burning with hatred at the villains, but no longer needing to be restrained by her friends.

“For whatever happens,” Rainbow Dash growled, Applejack still had hold on her even though she had stopped struggling.

The villains laughed and once again their magic auras glowed.

“Whatever happens, we’re all here together,” Twilight declared, and in a flash the waves of magic struck out at them.



“And well.. you know the rest,” Twilight concluded. “You and all the other’s showed up and together we stopped those three. After the princes’ and Discord petrefied them Celestia took us back to Canterlot and gathered the best healers.”

“But.. there wasn’t much they could do?” Ember asked.

“Even with all their skills put together,” Twilight lamented. “Spike has never been hurt badly enough for any serious healing magic to be needed so everypony was confused and didn’t know what to do.”

“Well dragons are kind of resistant to pony magic,” Smolder spoke up. “Maybe that’s why.”

“But Spike has let me use magic on him plenty of times before,” Twilight countered.

“Maybe it was because of growing up in a pony environment,” Ember shrugged. “Or maybe he’s grown more resistant since going through the molt. But I really have no solid ideas, I may be Dragon Lord but I’m no expert on magic.”

“And if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that magic is different, just like every creature,” Smolder mumbled. “The magic of friendship and harmony is warm and inviting, the magic those three were using felt.. wrong and cold. And they never even used it on me.”

“So maybe there’s some lingering effects because of their magic…” Twilight mused. “For once though, I don’t care about the why or how, I just want to be able to help Spike.”

Another knock at the door pulled the three out of their conversation. Welcomed in by Twilight’s call the Leader of the Changlings Thorax walked through the door, smiling sadly at the gathered creatures he turned to the Dragon Lord.

“I thought I would find you here,” He greeted.

“Wouldn’t be anywhere else right now,” The Dragoness replied. “How are you?”

“Oh fine, still helping the Hive calm down and reassure them that Chrysalis isn’t coming back, but I’m not the one who matters right now. How is he doing?”

“Resting, in pain but we’re doing what we can.” Twilight said, “Princess Luna herself is watching over his dreams to make sure they’re calm. Every creature is doing their best.”

The four creatures fell into silence as they watched their friend sleep, all wishing they could take his pain onto themselves. The purple dragon wasn’t the only one that some of them were concerned about however. Twilight’s friends stole glances at her, worrying about how she was taking this.

Of course it was natural to be upset that Spike was injured but Twilight was taking it as a personal failure on her part, and they knew she was the only one who thought it was. No creature could have been prepared for what the seven of them had gone up against and it was honestly surprising that the rest of them were uninjured.

And from the moment Spike had been hurt Twilight hadn’t left him, she was doing her part but wouldn’t accept there wasn’t more she could do. Smolder didn’t think she would ever forget the image of her teacher holding Spike while she spoke down to the villains about their misdeeds and the strength of Equestria and its allies. Between the princess her friends, it was clear to any creature that the purple dragon was not to be mistreated or they would have the wrath of many come down on them. Twilight was a protector and carer of Spike and she would see him through this, but it was clear she would need to be supported as well.

As they all watched, Spike stirred, then stretched yawning. Slowly he sat up rubbing his eye’s and looked around sleepily.

“Twilight…? How long was I.. OH!” He sat up straighter, trying to not wince in pain which didn’t go unnoticed. “Ember, Smolder, Thorax, what are you guys doing here?”

“We wanted to check on you Spike,” Thorax said, Smolder nodded in agreement finding that once again she was having trouble speaking.

“How are you feeling?” Ember asked in the gentlest tone she knew.

“Sore…” Spike grimaced. “I wish the healing magic had done more. Bu-But I’m here.. I’m ok.. I’m f-fine..” Spike stopped as the tears started to spill. Twilight shot forward and pulled him against her. Nothing was said as Spike cried into Twilight’s mane, his friends gently placing hooves and claws on him, letting him know they were there.

“I’m lucky to be here,” Spike hiccuped. “But my wings.. they’re gone! I had just learned to fly! Everything Smolder taught me and I’ll never be able to again!”

Twilight held her friend tighter, what could be said? She didn’t know, all her knowledge about magic and friendship hadn’t prepared her for a moment like this.

“Even if you never fly again you’re the strongest dragon in or outside the Dragon Lands,” Ember said brushing a claw over Spike’s head.

“You put yourself on the line for all of Equestria,” Thorax added. “That’s more than a lot of creatures can say.”

“And I have way more to teach you,” Smolder whispered. “The flying was only the beginning.”

Spike sniffled and adjusted himself to hug all his friends as much as his short arms would allow.

“Back when we were in Canterlot I would have never thought I’d meet friends like you,” He mumbled. “I’m so glad I did, everything that led to meeting you all was worth it.”

“You have a lot of friends,” Thorax said. “But I’m glad we’re among them.”

None of the friends were sure how long they stayed in their group hug, but they separated after Spike yawned.

“How am I still tired?” Spike half grumbled.

“You’ve been through a lot Spike,” Twilight answered. “Maybe it would be good to rest.”

“Your-you’re probably right,” Spike admitted as another yawn escaped him. “I’ll be ok… Thanks all…. All of you. For… For stopping.. by..”

Spike was snoring by the time his head hit the pillow. Every creature watched for a moment, scared that any noise or movement would wake him. When she felt it safe Smolder spoke.

“Can I.. Can I stay here with him?” She whispered, a note of pleading in her voice.

“I’m sure we would both appreciate it,” Twilight smiled gently. “Actually there’s something I should take care of.” She pressed a gentle kiss to Spike’s forehead before moving from the bed, the other two rulers glanced once more at their friend before following. Once in the hallway Twilight turned toward her study.

“Oh no you don’t,” Smolder grabbed her shoulder. “You’re exhausting yourself, you need to eat and rest.”

“No I need to talk to Princess Celestia,” Twilight grunted shrugging the claw away. “I need to know if the healers have thought of anything.”

“Ember is right Twilight,” Thorax insisted. “Spike will worry if he finds out you’re trying to run yourself into the ground.” They all heard the princess’ stomach let out a loud growl. “You need to take care of yourself too.”

“And I want to talk to the Princess anyway,” Ember said. “Maybe there’s something I can offer, you know as a dragon.”

“I.. Ok you’re right,” Twilight sighed. “I should eat something.”

“Come on, I remember where the kitchen is,” Thorax said and started leading her away. As he walked he shared a look with Ember, one that clearly said Don’t worry, I’ll take care of her.

Ember heaved a sigh and turned down the hall toward the castle exit. Spike didn’t deserve this.. But regardless it had happened, so there was little use dwelling on that. He would need the support of his friends, but thankfully she was sure he would have it. And he would get through this, they would make sure of it.