• Published 17th Sep 2012
  • 1,732 Views, 224 Comments

Forever a DJ - leafz pegasus



world famous DJ fakes his death to lead a more laid back life.

  • ...
11
 224
 1,732

Chapter 10 A Lyre's Melody

Forever a DJ

By: Leafz Pegasus


Chapter 10: A Lyre’s Melody

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


‘Ungh… Five more minutes…’

‘I think you’d like to see this Leaf.’

I took a grand look around, and I was dumbstruck with what I saw. ‘Woah… It’s...’

‘Beautiful? Yes, I guess you’re right, hehehe!’

I was treated to the most stunning sight I’d seen in a long time. It was of a rolling meadow, with knee high green grass, and the afternoon sun beating down, filling my bones with its warmth.

I stood there, gaping, my jaw touching the soft grass. ‘This is the greenest, most lush meadow ever!’

I looked over to see a mare sitting under the shade of a great sycamore tree;
A mint green mare underneath of it motioned the ground next to her with her hoof. ‘Come here Leaf, come sit with me.’

‘Sure thing Lyra, but I do have one question though.’ I asked as I made my way over to her.

‘I know you’re wondering on why you’re here.’ Lyra said thoughtfully, ‘and that is simply because this is a dream.’

I sat looking at Lyra dumbstruck. ‘A dream? I haven’t had one of those in years!’

‘Maybe it’s because you’re finally at peace. You finally have friends who care for you and would go out of their way to make you happy.’

Soarin, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Vinyl, Lyra…. All of these ponies… They would do anything for me, I… Never really knew what a true friend was before. I had Hip Hop, but she acted more like my mother if anything.

‘I… I guess you’re right Lyra, er, dream Lyra. Why are you even here anyway?’

‘I don’t know, you tell me.’ Said Lyra with a sparkle in her eye, ‘maybe it’s because if you want something more than friendship, you should look right under your muzzle.’

I let out a groan. ‘Ugh, why do these things always have to be spoken in riddles!’

Lyra gave a shrug. ‘I don’t know, I’m a figment of your imagination at the moment, I can only speak what your mind tells me to.’

‘Fine, I guess I’m kinda ruining the moment anyhow,’ I looked over to Lyra; and I noticed just how beautiful her mane looked in the soft afternoon light, both the mint green and white in her unkempt mane were a dazzling light show of colors as the sun glinted off the strands, ‘wow, Lyra… you look…’

She put a hoof up to my faded navy muzzle. ‘It’s okay Leaf, I already know what you want to do.’

She gently pulled her hoof from my muzzle and slowly she closed the distance between us, our lips locking in a gentle embrace, neither of us wanting to stop the moment of pure ecstasy that was radiating off of the both of us.

Lyra eventually pulled away from me, ‘you know what you have to do, don’t you INS4NITY?’

I gave her a stern gaze that could beat a cockatrice into submission. ‘I’m not INS4NITY. I’m Leaf Disc. INS4NITY died three weeks ago at that air show.’

Lyra smiled her beautiful smile. ‘Then you’re already halfway there, Disc…’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




“Ungh…” I moaned out drowsily.

I tried to lift my forelegs but I found them constricted by something warm and fuzzy. “Lyra looks so cute when she’s asleep…” I furrowed my brow. Where in tartarus did that come from?

I looked over Lyra’s sleeping form that was currently attached to my forelegs and most of my body, a soft smile gracing her features, filling me with a sense of happiness. “Why does that make me so damn happy?” I whispered to myself.

I tried to get out of Lyra’s grasp, but it only made her hold onto me tighter. Why does that make me want to hug her back!?!?

I tried to move out of her hold yet again. “Oh, Disc…”

Oh Celestia…. Why did I feel completely okay with that?

I mentally face hoofed when I came to a realization. I can just magic her off of me.

I slowly and gently levitated the unconscious Lyre player off of me and back onto the bed. The instant she came back into contact with the bed, she hugged my pillow.

“Okay, now that I’m out of there, time to go make breakfast.” I whispered happily to myself.

Oh! Maybe I’ll make pancakes! I thought musingly to myself as I walked down the stairs.

I trotted happily into the kitchen and opened up some of the cabinets, levitating out of them flour, butter, and some oil for the pan. I opened the fridge and brought out some eggs and milk, as well as some water for the mix to add with the milk.

I started to mix the ingredients into bowls and put them as aside once they were done to set the table with two sets of knives, forks, and plates. Including glasses of milk to wash them down with.

I finished table prep and went along with greasing the pan and pouring generous amounts of batter onto the pan, creating large pancakes.

“Hey Leaf, what smells so good?” I heard Lyra say as she came into the kitchen, still a little sleepy from having just wake up.

“Pancakes!” I said a little too enthusiastically.

“Pancakes? What are those?” questioned Lyra.

My heart almost exploded from that statement. How could any pony live their life for so long and not have a taste of the golden deliciousness that was a pancake!

“You’ve never had a pancake before?”

“No, why?”

I stared at her with an open mouth. “Why? Only because they are the most delicious breakfast food to be made! Well, aside from muffins.”

“Really?”

“Yes really!”

I floated a plate piled high with pancakes over to her spot at the small dining table. I quickly poured syrup and melted butter on top of each of them, making them look like a craft of the goddesses themselves.

Lyra looked at the pile of deliciousness in front of her with unease. “Is this healthy for you?”

“What? Of course not! It’s meant to be delicious, not healthy!” I said as I loaded my own plate with the golden confections.

“Okay then!” said Lyra happily, obviously happy with my description. The results were immediate.

“Oh… Oh! This is delicious! It’s like it’s dancing on my tongue!” Lyra cried happily through a mouth full of pancake. The only way to describe what happened next was mass pancake genocide. The both of us single hoofedly took down twenty pancakes before our stomachs surrendered to the sheer amount of pancakes and couldn’t take anymore.

“Ugh… So much pancakes…” I moaned as both Lyra and I lied on the couch, moving as little as possible as to not lose the breakfast we just devastated.

“I know… But so good…” Lyra said next to me.

We sat there on the couch, leaning against each other for support, for about fifteen minutes. Then I decided we had wasted enough time. “Come on Lyra, I want to show you a song that I made. One that I think more people should hear. Especially you, since you’re the last of my friends who has seen me DJ.”

“Oh! I would love to hear one of your songs Leaf!”

“Nonsense! I wouldn’t be offering this opportunity to you if I didn’t want you to! Plus, you’re my friend, and my friends deserve to know who I am.” I said as I half dragged Lyra into my recording studio.

Yeah. Really letting them know who you are, huh?

Shut up brain! I’m not INS4NITY anymore, and never will be!

After some annoying stairs in which Lyra refused to walk down, (I’m so full!), so I carried her down on my back, and we finally reached the recording studio. “Welcome back Lyra, to the Studio of Awesomeness! Here is where I keep all my music and make my music. This room is completely sound proof, so I can play my bass as loud as I want, and no one will complain!”

“Whoa, you seriously make all your music in such a small room?”

Okay, not the kind of reaction I was going for there.

“Yes,” I deadpanned, “but it’s electronic music, so I only really need space for the equipment and walking room.”

“Oh, okay then. I can see some logic in that.” said Lyra absentmindedly.

“Well Lyra, how about I show you my favorite song when I used to DJ, Bonfire!”



The trumpets faded into the background as the song ended, but instead of a happy Lyra like I thought would be awaiting me once I left DJ land, was a suspicious one.
“That sounded an awful lot like DJ INS4NITY. You wouldn’t happen to have known him or his music, did you?”

Oh, she’s good.

Shut up brain!

“I, I uh, have no idea what you’re talking about!” I stammered out.

Lyra gave me a pretty good ‘are you bucking kidding me’ face. “Don’t bullshit me Leaf. What do you know about DJ INS4NITY?”

You’re screwed.

Not helping!

“I-uh, I know he was a famous DJ up until about three weeks ago, when a Wonderbolt stunt failed at Baltimare.”

“Leaf. Please tell me the truth, I’ve gone through more ruins and dig sites to know where to look for things, even to know when some pony is lying through their teeth.”

Going to say it again, you’re oh-so-screwed at this point.

Still not helping!

The look of hurt on her face made my heart skip a beat. Seriously, I thought it could’ve given me a heart attack then and there. “Alright Lyra, since you want to know my connection with our late DJ, how about I show you.” I walked over to a magically locked chest in the corner of the room. Using my magic, I opened the chest, and pulled out a pair of electric blue aviators and a black headset with INS4NITY scratched into the headband.

“Well Lyra, you wanted to know our connection?” I took out my contacts, my red irises gleaming through once again, and then I put on my beloved sunglasses and headset. I cast a spell that dissipated my hair dye, showing my white mane and faded navy coat. All INS4NITY’s trademarks.

“Lyra, I am INS4NITY.”


Lyra just stood there, gaping at the ‘dead’ celebrity in front of her. “But,” I took off my glasses and the headset that I had dubbed ‘Wubsy’ down on the small table next to me, “INS4NITY is dead. He died at that air show. I am Leaf Disc now and I always will be.” I said, as I trotted over to her and nuzzled her neck.

“Oh, thank Celestia!” she said, crying into my shoulder, “When you showed me you were a famous DJ, I thought you’d leave somepony as worthless as me.”

“I don’t know Lyra, I think INS4NITY still might leave you.” She looked up at me with tears in her eyes, “but I’m Leaf Disc, and I’ll never leave you.”

(Editors note: D’awww!!!!)

She held me tighter and just kept crying; but now her tears were tears of joy, for now she knew that I would stick with her, no matter what.

The crying eventually stopped, but we both sat there, just enjoying each other’s company. “Thank you Disc, for giving me some pony to love.” I heard Lyra whisper. I don’t think I was supposed to hear that, because she fell asleep at my side immediately after.

Love?

I looked down at the mare lying against me. Do I love Lyra? Maybe, I don’t know yet, hopefully I’ll find out soon.

‘I don’t know, you tell me.’ dream Lyra said with a sparkle in her eye, ‘maybe it’s because if you want something more than friendship, you should look right under your muzzle.’

Damn you dream Lyra, stop speaking riddles and just tell me!

I eventually got bored of sitting still for so long. “Lyra, hey Lyra, wake up. Wake up. I want to go do something, wake up.”

“Ungh… Five more minutes…”

Sad to say, I gave her five more minutes.

When she finally came back around, Lyra and I walked out of the house intent on going to the park so I could watch her play her lyre.

“So Lyra,” I questioned to the mare to my left, “what do you usually do on a normal day? Well, besides following me around all day.”

“Well, usually I go to the café in the morning to have breakfast, then I go hang out with my friend Bonbon for a bit, and lastly I go down to the park to play my lyre.”

“You do that everyday?” I asked.

“Well… Yeah, I don’t really have much else to do. It’s not like I’ve got a colt friend to spend time with or anything. And most other ponies just think I’m crazy, because you know, humans.”

“Oh right… Well I think that you’re not crazy, and Vinyl and the others don’t think you’re crazy. Wait, you haven’t met Vinyl yet. Well, the others don’t think you’re crazy anymore!” she looked at me with her eyes full of happiness, “And I think that all those stallions are missing out on something to not have you as a mare friend.”

“Thanks Leaf, I needed that. You always know just what to say to cheer me up, don’t you?” Lyra said with a giggle.

“I like to think that I do.” That received a well-deserved punch to the foreleg from Lyra.

“Ow, anyway, we’re almost there.”

“Really? Cause, y’know, I’ve never been there before. Especially not the last 5 years.” responded Lyra, sarcasm dripping from her voice.

“I know, just reiterating.” I said as Lyra and I approached the park.

“Hey Disc.”

“Yeah Lyra?”

“Why don’t you hold a concert here in the park later today, you know, like you used to?”

“As long as I’m promoted as Leaf Disc, and not INS4NITY, I think that can be arranged.”

“Yay!” Lyra walked up to me and hugged me.

“Lyra, that’s enough, ponies are starting to stare.”

“Oh, sorry. I think I got a little bit excited.”

“A little?”

“Okay, maybe I got really excited.”

I just gave her an inquisitive stare.

“Okay fine! I got carried away. Happy?”

“Quite. Now let’s get to the park quickly, I want to see how that lyre got on your flank!”

“So you were looking at my flank, huh?”

My face flushed red. “No! I mean, yes! I mean, I was admiring your cutie mark, and I wanted to see how well you played the lyre! S-Since a lyre is your cutie mark!” I spoke almost as fast as Pinkie Pie. Almost.

“Of course you were.” Replied Lyra sassily.

Oh Celestia, out of all the stallions in Equestria, why me?

“Come on, Lyra, we’re here.”

“Aww, you sound almost glad that our walk is over.”

“I am.” I muttered under my breath.

Lyra took out her lyre from its case that she had on her back, and tuned the stringed instrument until she was satisfied on how it sounded; which was almost heavenly.

Lyra walked over to where I was sitting underneath a sycamore tree.

Huh.

“Hey Disc, you ready to hear my sweet music?”

“I guess, I just hope I don’t fall asleep. I had to go to an orchestra recital because I did a fan letter contest to see who would spend a day with me. Some mare named Octavia won, and at the end of the day I had to go to one of her recitals. I’m sorry to say, but I fell asleep the second the first note was played.”

“Well you won’t have to worry about that.” Lyra said as she walked over to what I assumed to be her regular spot.

“And why is that?”

“Because I’ll hit you with my lyre if you do!”

“Oh.”

The music was magnificent; my harsh electronic music couldn’t hope to beat this. This… This flowed. It was calming, smooth, and graceful. Almost exactly like Lyra.

The music continued to play, and I thought I heard somepony call my name, but I was too entranced by Lyra’s music to respond or pay heed to the pony, whoever it was.

“Disc. Disc! DISC- whoa, what is that?”

“Shush! It’s Lyra playing her lyre, and I don’t want you to interrupt.”

Whoever it was continued to be quiet for the rest of the song, until the music stopped playing.

“Hey Disc. So, how’d you like my song? Judging by how close your jaw is to the ground, I’ll say that I impressed you didn’t I?”

I could only nod at her remark.

I pulled my jaw from the ground and addressed the pony that had tried to get my attention from earlier. “Okay, now that her song is over, what is you want, Vinyl?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PoV Vinyl Scratch



The train ride was long and boring, my only relief from my boredom was the music player I had brought with my headset.

“This. Is. So. Boring…”

Even though I was blasting INS4NITY, I was still a little bored. But, at the same time I was excited that I might actually get to see my favorite DJ again! That guy was my role model! His music puts mine to shame, if only he didn’t go to that air show…

Man, I’m really tired; maybe a short nap… wouldn’t… hurt…

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEECH

The sound of the train’s brakes grinding against the rails told me that we had made it to ponyville, and start of my quest for INS4NITY has begun!

I made my way to the only other pony that could have any clues as to where INS4NITY might be, the only other DJ in town; Leaf Disc.

I went over to the market, no Disc.

I went over to the library; it had a closed sign on it.

I went over to my club; it too had a closed sign on it.

Duh, I was gone.

I went over to his house; still no DJ.

I went over to the park; I heard some pony playing the lyre.

I really hope this doesn’t make me fall asleep like Tavi’s music always does.

Then I saw Disc, just sitting there, listening to the music.

“Disc! Disc! DISC- whoa, what is that.”

“Shush! It’s Lyra playing her lyre, and I don’t want you to interrupt.” Disc warned.

I listened to Disc, even if it meant stalling my search for a few minutes. And it wasn’t like the music wasn’t bad. It was almost… like running water, if music could be compared to that.

The song finally ended, and I somehow managed to stay awake. Hay, I wasn’t even sleepy!

“Okay, now that her song is over, what is you want, Vinyl?” Disc asked in amazement.

“Yeah, it’s me. I wanted to ask you something,” I looked both ways before continuing, “Have you heard any rumors about DJ INS4NITY being in Ponyville?”

I could almost see his face visibly whiten from a faded navy to an almost gray.

“Come with me Vinyl, it was only a matter of time before I would have had to tell you anyway. Come on Lyra, pack it up, we’ll come back here later for the concert.” said Disc.

“Okay Disc!” Lyra replied.

I got a little confused. “What do you mean, ‘it was only a matter of time before I would have had to tell’?”

“I’ll show you once Lyra is done packing her lyre and we get to my house.”

“I’m done!” Said Lyra happily as she trotted up to the two of us.

The walk back to Disc’s house was unbearable! I couldn’t focus or keep calm because of the mystery of it all! The instant I mention INS4NITY he goes all stiff and now he’s going to show me something? I can’t stand the waiting!

We finally came to a stop at a large looking house, bigger than most homes in Ponyville, but it still had that modest feel to it.

Disc opened the door. “Come on you guys, in you go!” He motioned to the open door next to him.

As I walked in, he said, “Head downstairs to the recording studio, I’ll be there in a second!”

Odd, but okay, I guess.

I walked down the short flight of stairs that led into a large open room that could have easily fit ten ponies comfortably, and I made my way to a door near the back that had a platinum record on it.

Where the hay did he get that?

I walked up to the door and read the record, “Bangarang”

You can’t be serious.

“What is INS4NITY’s hit single doing here on a platinum record?”

“I don’t know. You tell me.”

I turned around to yell at Disc for saying something so stupid, but when I did, my jaw nearly fell out of my head; my glasses defied gravity and pushed themselves up instead of down, and I couldn’t do anything but gape.

DJ INS4NITY.

Right in front of me.

And it’s Disc.

Disc is INS4NITY.

Holy hay.

Must. Not. Fanmare!

Mission fail.

“Ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh! DJ INS4NITY! You’re my role model and your music is so good and will you please sign my sunglasses!”

“Easy, Vinyl, easy. To answer your question, sure, I’ll sign your sunglasses, but I won’t do anything more.” He took the glasses off my head, and pulled a pen out from his earphones.

What.

“Why not!?”

“Because Vinyl, I’m dead,” He signed my sunglasses and hoofed them back to me, “INS4NITY died back there in Baltimare at the show. It’s only Leaf Disc now.” he said as he took his old self off, replacing it with navy dye and blue colored contacts.

“But you can’t just give up DJ’ing! It’s your life! Your passion! The proof is in your cutie mark! A vinyl record with a headset over it.”

“I do still DJ, I work at your club and I DJ there.” He reasoned.

“That’s not what I meant! I meant you need to get back up top! Go back to doing what you do best. Showing up all those INS4NITY wannabe’s and make some kick-flank music!” I argued back.

“Like I said earlier, I’m not INS4NITY.”

“I know that. That’s why tonight you’ll be Leaf Disc. And when the music producer comes to see your show tonight, Equestria will see Leaf Disc. Not DJ INS4NITY.”

I could almost see the gears turning inside that wub-filled head of his. “I guess you’re right Vinyl. I’m going to get back up top, but on my own terms this time, I’m going to do what I want and not be a slave to the company. I’m going to be DJ again.”

“YAY!” Lyra and I shouted at the same time.

Weird.

I started to go up the stairs. “Well come on you guys, are we going to have a kick-flank concert or what?!?”

“Hell yeah!”

“Yes!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PoV Leaf Disc




We made it to the park in record time, and damn, I was surprised when I saw the stage was already set up.

“Vinyl, how is the stage already set up?”

“I contacted Pinkie ahead of time.”

“That explains this much better than you know.”

Just pinkie being pinkie.

I walked up to the stage and climbed onto it, feeling the polished metal on my hooves again felt great, and the truly, I missed the view. Being above every pony else, just leading the party, cranking out some wicked music and bobbing to the beat.

I missed those days more than I realized.

I started to create a playlist of songs that I would be playing tonight, and by the time I had organized my fourth song, the ponies were already coming in to see the concert.

It’s okay Disc. You can do this. You’ve been doing this for two years straight before now. Just walk out there and act like a DJ, not a scared filly!

“Hey there Ponyville!!! Are you guys ready for the drop!!!” I screamed into the microphone.

“YEAH!”

“Then let’s hit it!” I put on my addition to my earlier song, Ghost n Stuff, appropriately named, Moar Ghosts n Stuff.

The song didn’t fade like usual; it just ended. No warning, no build up, it did just that. End.

I turned on the mic in my headset. “Are you guys ready for more!”

YEAH

The trumpets faded into the background again, and then I played another five songs before the concert ended.

“Disc!”

I turned to see Lyra running towards me. “Hey Lyra, what’s up- GAH!”

Lyra full on tackle hugged me, pinning me on backstage while she hugged the life out of me.

Lyra eventually got off of me, and I was just about to make my way home.

“Hey, Leaf Disc was it? I have a proposition for you from the solar republic recording company…”