• Published 15th Feb 2022
  • 3,031 Views, 166 Comments

The Rebel and The Bookworm (CANCELLED) - qiley

  • ...
2
 166
 3,031

Prologue: Conversation and Condition

“You got this. It’s just a normal conversation with the most powerful pony alive who just happens to be your mentor. There’s nothing to be nervous about,” a light amber unicorn mumbled to herself as she paced back and forth in front of the large double door.

“Everything okay missy?” One of the guards asked, a concerned look on his face.

“I’m just fine!” She snapped at him.

“If you say so,” the guard shrugged.

“You may enter now,” a regal voice called from behind the doors. Pushing the doors open, a large, white pony sat in an elevated throne. Her rainbow mane flowed majestically, a calm look on her face.

“Why hello Sunset Shimmer,” the pony greeted with a smile.

“Hello, Princess Celestia,” Sunset greeted back with a bow

“No need for formalities Sunset. Right now, I’m just your teacher,” Celestia said, causing the bowing pony to arise. “Now, what is it that you wanted to talk about?”

“Is there any way we could go a little faster with my studies,” Sunset asked. “I know you said that everything must be thoroughly taught, but I already know everything you’ve been teaching me! I want to learn something new.” Her voice rose a bit, frustration leaking out.

Peering down at her student, she tapped her chin.“I understand where you’re coming from Sunset,” Celestia said, her face unchanging. “Are you 100% sure you want to move onto the advanced lessons?”

“Please. I promise that I’ll be able to keep up.” Sunset replied. “And if I don’t, we can go back to how it is now.”

“Okay Sunset,” Celestia nodded. “Starting tomorrow, your lessons will be more challenging.”

“Thank you Celestia!” Sunset grinned. “You won’t regret it.”

“I know I won’t,” Celestia said, smiling. “I have just one condition though.”

“What is it? I’ll do anything,” Sunset looked at her mentor.

“I sure hope you're up to do this then,” Celestia chuckled. “Sunset, I want you to take care of my new protege.”

“You want me to do what?” Sunset tilted her head.

“Take care of my new protege,” Ceelstia repeated herself.

Sunset groaned. “No, I heard what you said. It’s just a little surprising, that’s all.” Sunset stood there in silence, processing her request.

“Are you not up to the task?” Celestia challenged her student calmly.

“It’s not that I’m not,” Sunset frowned. “It’s just, I wouldn’t know how to take care of another pony. It also depends on how old she is.”

“My protege is three years younger than you,” Celestia said. “Don’t let her age fool you though. She’s quite smart for such a young filly. She passed the test for my school with flying colors just as you did.”

Sunset cocked an eyebrow. “So you want me to babysit her?”

“I wouldn’t say babysit,” Celestia smiled. “I’d say mentor, just as I do for you.”

“Is that all I have to do?” Sunset sighed, giving into her mentor. “If that’s all, then I’m fine with it. I accept your condition.”

“Splendid,” Celestia clapped her forehooves together. “Is that all you wanted to talk about Sunset?”

Sunset nodded. “That’s all.”

“Then you may take your leave now,” Celestia dismissed the unicorn.

Making her way towards the double doors, a question popped up into Sunset’s mind. Looking back to her mentor, she asked: “What’s your protege's name?”

“Twilight Sparkle.”

Author's Note:

Well there's the prologue setting up the story! I always liked the idea of young Sunset and Twilight being together somehow. It always intrigued me, but there were never enough stories written. Why not write my own then?

Here it is! :twilightsmile: I'm not sure if this'll be more serious or lighthearted, but I'm leaning towards the latter. I hope the prologue was enjoyable enough. Any constructive criticism is welcomed!

Also, my updates here might be a little slow because I am currently writing another story too. I promise not to forget this one though. Tata! :raritywink: