• Published 25th Nov 2021
  • 423 Views, 8 Comments

One Last Hearths Warming - DakariKingMykan



An elderly pony poses as a beggar to get close to someone.

  • ...
44
 8
 423

Act 6: Daddy.

ACT SIX

Any-pony who had Cancer should avoid stress as well as emotional baggage. Such things only spread the disease faster and cause bad reactions, which was why poor Coin Jangles was in the mess he was.

After Starlight had brought the paramedics to his home, ever so carefully, Jangles was transferred to the hospital and rushed into immediate treatment to stabilize him.

“Blast it!” growled Dr. Horse. “I knew something like would happen. I warned him not to...”

Twilight had sent Spike back to Steel Pipe’s place and asked him to bring back Sun Grin so she could be told the truth once and for all.

The only problem was that Jangles had been given treatment to numb the pain, and sedate him softly so he would sleep better.

When Dr. Horse came out, Twilight and Starlight gawked at him wanting an immediate answer.

“He’s asleep now. He’s alright… considering… But I don’t recommend seeing him until he wakes up. He needs rest.”

The ladies were only slightly relieved to hear that, but they were extremely worried for him now.

“How bad is he?” asked Starlight.

The doc hesitated and he looked rather upset to say.

“Is it that bad?” asked Twilight.

The doc nodded, “The shock nearly threw him into a seizure, and he was choking very badly. We very nearly lost him.” he paused “…But… given what he’s just been through, I’d say he’ll be fortunate if he didn’t just… well… shorten whatever time he has left.”

The ladies felt a sickening turn in their hearts and their stomachs.

Twilight tried her hardest not to show any tears of worry, but Dr. Horse knew how she was feeling.

“It is never easy when a patient is on their last ride.” he said in a low tone. Then he looked rather annoyed. “I explicitly told him… “Get your affairs all in order, and let us handle you here at the hospital.”

Whatever in the world possessed him to do what he did?”

Twilight and Starlight weren’t sure if they should tell, but they did, and Dr. Horse was astounded.

“…I see.” he simply said with a look of near disbelief. “Well, at least now I understand.”

He went off to see some other patients, while all Twilight and Starlight could do was look through the window into the room, where poor Jangles lay silently. He looked so pale and miserable while hooked up to life-support.

“Do you think Spike told Sun Grin by now?” asked Starlight.

“I hope so.” replied Twilight. “This must be an awful shock for her.”


It wasn’t until about midday that Jangles finally awoke. He still felt pretty beat, but he didn’t want to sleep himself away like that.

He still felt pretty weak and used a remote to tilt his bed upward, but the nurse looked him over, feeling really horrible for him.

“You need to take it easier.” she cautioned him.

“Thank you.” Jangles replied softly.

The nurse exited, and with his door now open, meant he could have visitors, but the nurse cautioned them not to stay for too long and not to give him more stress.

Twilight came in alone.

“Hi Jangles…”

He softly turned his head, “Princess?”

Twilight walked over and sat near his bed. She didn’t ask how he felt, because it was clear he wasn’t looking good.

But she did gaze at him very sadly. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to do this to you.”

“It’s not your fault.” Jangles insisted “I’m just sick. My time is almost up.”

This only hurt Twilight more. She had known him ever since she had moved to Ponyville. He was a hard worker, and always doing his best to help other ponies, and with the banks loans he gave, he made dreams come true and gave shelters and charities wonderful donations to help the world.

“It just doesn’t seem fair that this should happen to you. You don’t deserve it.”

Jangles looked sad, but shrugged it off bravely. “These things just happen. Sometimes we just don’t get a say in life. That’s why you have to make the most of things while you can, or they’ll just up and be gone.”

Twilight knew this, and she understood it, but it still didn’t help her to see a good pony suffer, and there was nothing neither she nor any-pony could do about it.

Just then, there was a very soft knock at the door. It was Starlight, and she was with Spike… and Sun Grin… much to Jangles worry and astonishment.

Sun had a queer look on a face, a look of deep thought, and mixed with sadness, and a touch of shock.

“I think we should leave them alone for a minute.” Starlight whispered to Twilight. She agreed, and the trio left Sun in the room with Jangles.

She slowly walked over to the bed and looked down at the grim pony.

Jangles looked up at her, and he could guess from the look she gave him, “You know…?”

She nodded, trying to hold back a tear or two.

“I just can’t believe this.” she said in a shocked voice. “…You’re my real father?”

Jangles nodded very grimly.

Sun turned round and walked over to the window facing outside, and rubbing her front hooves against her aching head.

Then she turned back and asked, “Why? Why didn’t you just tell me?”

Jangles looked deep inside, trying to think hard of how to put it.

“Sun, believe me, I wanted to tell you; I really did…” he paused “…But in the end, I just couldn’t find the words.

I mean… just suddenly popping into your life when you never really knew me, and I never knew you. It’s like we can't just instantly form a bond or a relationship. We can never really make up for all those years.”

Sun looked at him, and he could see the tears coming to her eyes.

“And you didn’t want to tell me because you knew it could never work between us.” She hinted towards his inevitable and oncoming death.

Jangles felt a tear coming to his eye now. “…Ever since I gave you up, I hurt every night, every day, wondering what was happening to you and if you were safe.”

He looked up at his daughter trying not to burst out crying, especially in his condition. “I’m sorry, Sun. I’m sorry for all this.”

A sad but visible smile came to Sun’s face. “No… I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything you went through.”

Jangles looked at her in near shock.

“I was told everything, and I know why you gave me up.

“I’m not saying “I’m glad you did.” but I just know why.”

It looked as if they two were really starting to form a real bond and understanding for each other. Jangles actually felt warm inside.

“I’m not saying “I’m glad I gave you up” either…” he said tenderly. “But it’s clear to me now; I really did give you the good life you have, and I’m proud to have known you, and see what you are today.”

Sun’s tears were falling hard down her face now.

“…Knowing that you’re alive, and that you’re going to be fine,” he continued “…It gives me joy.”


Quivering with tearfulness, yet deep gratefulness and understanding, sun couldn’t help herself, and she very slowly embraced him, and he actually found strength to hug her warmly.

“Daddy…” she sobbed.

“…My baby.” he peeped softly to her as he rocked her softly.

They just sat where they were, enjoying this moment as long as it could last.

Outside the room, Twilight and Starlight were watching tearfully.

Spike bit on his claw trying to fight his own tears, but it was no good, and he hugged Twilight by her leg, and she sat down and hugged him warmly, and Starlight joined in too.