• Published 15th Nov 2021
  • 321 Views, 30 Comments

The Painless Murders - bkc56



Every private investigator gets the occasional case that requires their every skill to solve. And if they slip up, a pony’s life will be ruined. This was such a case, and I was not going to let that pony down.

  • ...
2
 30
 321

Chapter 6

The sign declared: Chao Stir-Fry. It was a legitimate restaurant in Canterlot, but it also concealed a secret. That’s who I was here to see. I walked through the dining area and down a narrow hallway towards a back room. Two earth ponies loitered outside the door. They turned to face me as I approached.

I stopped a couple paces away. They were clearly guards, and I didn’t want to put them on edge. “Dark Steel. I’m here to see Mr Long Shot.”

One of the ponies pushed the door ajar and stuck his head in. After some mumbling I couldn’t make out, he opened the door wide and gestured in, indicating I should enter. Going in, I saw the rather overweight earth pony sitting behind a desk. I walked up to it, ignoring the two available chairs.

“Ahh, Mr Steel. I remember you from your years with the Canterlot police. I know a few ponies rotting in prison due to your... interference.” He was frowning, his hooves concealed under the desk.

I knew the two guards were at my five and seven o’clock. And there was a unicorn to my left, watching me with his head slightly lowered. If he decided to cast some offensive spell, I was too far away to do anything about it. A chill ran down my spine as I realized I’d blindly walked into at best an awkward situation, at worst a trap.

Long Shot locked eyes with me for a few more moments before breaking into a big grin. “They were competitors.” He laughed, waving off the guards who left the room.

I blew out a breath. “Cute. You enjoyed that, didn’t you?”

“Immensely. Still, I know you aren’t here for my amusement. Why are you here?”

“It has come to my attention that a pony named Outflank may have a fondness for... certain types of recreation, and may owe a fair pile of bits to a provider of such recreation. I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on this pony.”

He leaned back in his chair, crossing his forelegs over his chest. “I see. Well, of course I run a legitimate business here. Now that your wife is off the force, you two should stop by some time for dinner, on the house of course. And while I won’t admit to knowing this particular pony, I do sometimes hear things, in confidence.”

I lifted a hoof. “And anything I just happen to hear in confidence will remain that same way.”

He nodded. “Then I think we have an understanding. We may have heard that this pony is in pretty deep.”

“Would such a debt cause him to, shall we say, become an example?”

He tilted his head. “Let me answer that with another question. How many bits can one collect from a dead pony?”

I nodded my head.

Long Shot continued, “What’s interesting is that he claims to be working on a deal that will clear his debt and even put him ahead. He’s always got one scheme or another, but this sounds different. Rumor is he has a deal going with some unicorn. I hear Outflank’s made a couple token payments, but he says the real bits will be coming in during the next few months.”

I considered this for a moment. “Do you have any idea where he is now?”

“No. We… I mean, I hear no one has been able to locate him.”

“Yes, he seems to have gone to ground. You...r associates aren’t the only ones unable to find him. The police have also been unsuccessful. I thank you for your time, but I need to get going. I have someone waiting for me.”

“I assume it’s unlikely that his scheme is actually going to pan out?”

“Let’s just say that if he’s found, he may get the opportunity to meet some of your past competition.”

“Very well. If you would ask the guards to step in here on your way out. And don’t forget about that free dinner. It never hurts to keep the lines of communication open, you understand.” He winked at me.

Lines of communication. He’s looking for someone new he can get in his pocket. Of course I’m always looking for new contacts or informants. The type of ponies the police could never connect with. Perhaps there’s a middle ground where we can meet. I might just take him up on that dinner some day.

I tipped my hat and turned to leave. I’d feel a lot better once I got outside, and even more so once I was home with Citrine.