• Published 9th Nov 2021
  • 1,069 Views, 55 Comments

The "Season 11" Project! -- Camp Harmony! (And What Is Patriotism?) - starponys87



The Knights of Order are ousted by their own people--but a new dictator's taken over. The School of Friendship's now training all students to wield the Elements of Harmony--and has new foreign visitors! Shining Armor seeks the magic of friendship.

  • ...
4
 55
 1,069

#6 - Setting Up Camp

Author's Note:

As always, I am happy to receive input from collaborators. I don't want this to be just my project. I want it to be yours, too!

Section #1:

Starlight teleported back to her podium.

"Well, creatures," she announced, "that about wraps up our special announcement. Students -- today is your first day at Camp Harmony! I cannot stress this enough -- this is one of the proudest days of your lives!"

The crowd cheered and whistled.

"Now that you have your cards," said Twilight, hovering above Starlight, "it is time to divide up into your camps. Camp Honesty -- come on forward!"

Over 500 students got up and started making their way down to the field. One sixth of the Royal Guard got up. So did Flim and Flam. Ocellus' baby sister (let's call her "Shelly"), also carrying a card, took off and joined the group.

"See you later, Shelly!" called Ocellus' father.

"If you need us, we'll be right nearby!" called Ocellus' mother.

For a moment, Shelly descended to give her parents and brother one last kiss. Then she flew back off.

The vast majority of the students were still ponies, but there were a fair number of other creatures -- gryphons, dragons, hippogriffs, changelings, and yaks. There were even a few breezies, buffalo, and deer.

In the middle of the field, there stood six small stages, one for each Camp. Above each stage, there hung a banner designating the name of each camp: "CAMP HONESTY", "CAMP KINDNESS", "CAMP GENEROSITY", "CAMP LOYALTY", "CAMP LAUGHTER", and "CAMP MAGIC". Each banner was colored like its respective Element.

Applejack walked onto the Camp Honesty stage. Rarity walked onto the Generosity stage, and Pinkie Pie bounced her way onto the Laughter stage. Fluttershy fluttered onto the Kindness Stage, and Rainbow Dash swooped down onto the Loyalty stage.

With her horn, Twilight carried the Student 6, the "Crusader 6", and the "Younger 6". As she flew onto the Camp Magic stage, she placed the other 18 onto their respective stages. Each stage had its own microphone, able to pick up the voices of everyone on stage.

"Don't worry, sugarcubes!" said Applejack. "Don't get in a rush. Let's all get down in a calm and orderly manner!"

Garble's gang included the following dragons: Fume (thin purple boy with yellow "hair"), Clump (fat brown dragon boy), Backdraft (or "Vex"; blue-indigo boy with plump belly), Charcoal (gray dragon boy with blond hair), Prominence (aka "Belcher" or "Maar"; lavender dragon girl with purple "hair" and long ears), and Fizzle (white dragon boy with red-pink crest).

The one assigned to Camp Honesty was Clump. Clump opened his wings and started flying his way down. (For creatures without cutie marks, their cards showed their faces instead.)

"Go, Clump! ... Go, Clump! ... Go, Clump!" cheered Garble and the rest of the gang.

"Honesty's gonna be a great challenge for you!" called Fume. "But I know you can rise to the occasion!"

"The joke's on you!" retorted Clump, pointing back at him. "Your assignment is ten times harder!"


Section #2:

All the "Honest Campers" now stood in front of the Camp Honesty stage. (Some who could fly hovered just above the crowd, including Clump and Shelly.)

"Welcome, y'all, my 'Honest Campers'!" announced Applejack. "Is everycreature here?"

"Yes!" called an earth pony.

"I'm here!" called a gryphon.

"So am I!" called a Royal Guard (a unicorn).

"So's me!" called Clump.

Shelly waved her hoof.

All the other students affirmed that they were there.

"Yona welcome new friends! Yona wanna meet new friends!" Again, Yona jumped with excitement, shaking the stage. "And that the truth!"

To avoid being knocked off his hooves, Rumble jumped up and hovered just above. Applejack herself struggled not to lose balance. (Unfortunately, Yapper lost his balance.)

"Thanks for the warm welcome, Yona!" said Applejack. "However, I think you should do a lot less bouncin'. We've had too many earthquakes as it is."

Yona hung her head with disappointment. "Yona sorry. Yona try better."

Applejack faced the crowd. "Honesty ... Honesty's all about trust. When people lie to ya, it makes ya angry at bein' deceived ... and scared ya might be tricked again. When ya can't trust someone, you can't feel close to 'em. You might still love 'em ... but their behavior drives you away. All friendships start with trust. Trust by itself ain't enough. But without trust, there can't be no friendship."

As Applejack spoke, some of the students started to yawn ... including Clump.

"So," continued Applejack, "when y'all have somethin' importan' to say, then say it! And when ya make a promise --"

"Especially a Pinkie Promise!" called Pinkie Pie -- landing right in front of Applejack!

The students laughed -- including those who'd been starting to fall asleep.

Applejack gave Pinkie a hard stare. Then she turned back to the audience.

"When ya make a promise, make sure ya keep it. When ya make a promise but change yer mind, it's like tellin' a lie. And when ya take advantage of creatures' trust, don't blame 'em if they do the same to you!"

Pinkie Pie bounced back to the Camp Laughter stage.

Applejack turned to Yona. "Yona, you got somethin' to say?"

"Yaks best at honesty!" declared Yona. "Yaks say what yaks mean! But we learning not to hurt others' feelings."

(This time, Yona stood still, not bouncing.)

"That's right, Yona," said Applejack. "Tellin' the truth ain't always easy. On the other hoof, if ya like hurtin' others' feelin's, then you're a bully. Ya wanna show creatures that you care. Always try to find somethin' nice to say. And some thin's don't need to be said at all. Some thin's are not important."

Rumble hovered near Applejack, and he faced the audience.

"I must admit," said Rumble, "I myself am still learning to be an honest pony -- I mean 'creature'. But we're all in this together. We will keep on learning!"

Again, the audience clapped their hands and hooves. At first, Clump refused to clap. Then, after a few moments, he smiled a little smile -- and started clapping with the rest.

"It's been great teachin' y'all how to be good friends!" announced Applejack. "But nowadays, Twilight's princess duties have got us girls pretty busy. "Thank Twilight we got these graduate students to help us out!"

"Don't worry, my dear creatures!" added Fluttershy. "We'll be coming back and forth!"

"However," said Rarity, "our graduate students will be doing most of the teaching for themselves."

"... With the help of our headmare Starlight Glimmer!" added Twilight. She teleported Starlight onto the Camp Magic stage.

"Yona be great teacher!" Still bubbling with excitement, Yona tapped her hooves. "Yaks best at teaching!"

The audience applauded again.

Ocellus' baby sister perched onto Applejack's back. She giggled and hugged the orange mare's neck. Applejack blushed with embarrassment.

"Now that I've introduced you to the Element of Honesty," announced Applejack, "it's time to give a warm welcome to ... Camp Kindness!"

Applejack pointed her hoof toward the Camp Kindness stage.

"My dear 'Kindness Campers'!" said Fluttershy with her soft and gentle voice. "I look so forward to meeting you! Come on down ... if you don't mind!"

Once again, the audience cheered. Another sixth of the Royal Guard got up. So did Gilda. Once more, over 500 students started making their way down to the field.

One more member of Garble's gang got up. This time, it was Fume!

Garble laughed. "Clump isn't wrong you know."

"Yeah!" teased Backdraft. "Kindness is the toughest thing for us dragons!"

"Hah!" retorted Fume, still keeping a smile as he flew away. "Your challenge is probably the toughest of them all!"


Section #3:

All the Kindness Campers now stood in front of the Kindness Camp stage. (Some who could fly hovered just above the crowd, including Fume and Gilda.)

"My dear creatures," said Fluttershy, with her soft and gentle voice -- "welcome to Camp Kindness!"

The audience cheered.

"Ocellus," asked Fluttershy, "would you like to say some words?"

Ocellus blushed with shyness. "Uhh ..."

She cleared her throat. From her shell, she pulled out some notes and started reading them.

Ocellus cleared her throat once more. Then she looked back toward the crowd.

"My dear creatures!" she began. "Kindness is such a wonderful thing! When one creature loves another ... and the other feels the same ... it is such a magical experience! But what if some creature is mean to you? Why, then, should we be nice to them?"

"You tell me!" called Fume, with a mischievous smile.

"Sometimes," explained Ocellus, "a bad creature turns out not to be so bad after all. Sometimes they really do want someone to love them. If you make them feel good, they might want you to feel good, too. But ... if that doesn't work ... then we must do what's necessary to defend our friends."

"That's right, Ocellus!" replied Fluttershy. "If I can, I will show kindness to my worst enemies. But I won't let them hurt my friends!"

Fume started scratching his head.

"Let me tell you the story of my people!" said Ocellus. Getting excited, she started flapping her wings. "Not so long ago ... we were not such sweet and innocent creatures."

Ocellus transformed into her pre-reformed state. The audience gasped. Some of them screamed.

"Instead of giving love," hissed Ocellus, baring her fangs and waving a forked tongue, "we would steal love! We would suck the love out of our victims -- and break their hearts!"

The audience gasped again.

"But then ... there was a changeling named Thorax." Ocellus transformed into pre-reformed Thorax. "He showed us that we don't have to steal others' love. We don't have to break others' hearts to keep ourselves satisfied. In fact, it was making us lonely and miserable! In other words ..."

Ocellus, still disguised as pre-reformed Thorax, sat on the floor. Her eyes started to water up. "Most of us changelings ... we were also victims. Deep inside, we wanted to be loved. But our evil queen used our hunger as a weapon against us -- and every other creature. She told us that love was something we had to eat -- not something we could ever share."

In the audience, creatures' eyes started to water up. A few started crying. Even Fume started to sniffle!

"But now," continued Ocellus -- "things are so much better!"

Ocellus transformed back into her normal self. She stood up, her eyes starting to dry. "I am full of love to give! And if no other creature is there to share it, then I will still love myself! No creature can take that away from me!"

The audience clapped, cheered, and whistled. In the bleachers, Garble himself secretly wiped a tear with his finger. Out in the field, Fume wiped his eyes, and he blew his nose (blowing into his hands).

In her excitement, Fluttershy started hovering in the air. "This is the lesson we want you to learn: Whenever you can, use your kindness to warm your enemy's heart! But don't let anyone hurt your friends. The power of love is not just a feeling -- it's the power to protect and build!"

The audience cheered louder than ever!

Back in the bleachers, Charcoal whispered to Fizzle, "That little bug-pony is a pretty cool girl, wouldn't you say?"

"So is that butterfly pony hovering near her!" whispered Fizzle.

"I think we've seen her before ... "

Fluttershy continued, "I think that wraps up our introduction to Camp Kindness! Without further ado, let's give a warm welcome to ... Camp Generosity!"

The audience clapped again.

"Well, Backdraft," teased Garble, as he put some marshmallows on a stick -- "Fume might be right. Your assignment might be the toughest of all!"

"Yeah!" added Charcoal. He also put some marshmallows on a stick. "If there's one thing we dragons are known for, it's our enormous greed!"

With his fire breath, Charcoal blackened his marshmallows.

"That little purple dragon we used to beat up on?" said Fizzle, also putting marshmallows on a stick. "I hear he once became a giant greedy monster!"

Prominence also put marshmallows on a stick. "That's kind of cool! Only some of us can grow like that."

Spike descended into the scene.

"It wasn't cool at all!" he protested, as he hovered above the dragon gang. "The greedier I got, the angrier I got! I was lonely and miserable!"

As Spike spoke, his eyes started to water up. He sniffled. "In learning the value of generosity, I can actually be happy with what I have! And stop wanting more and more!"

The five teenage dragons stopped and stared.

"My friends," continued Spike -- "my friends are my most precious treasure of all! If I'm going to be greedy for anything, then I wish to have more friends!"

The five teenage dragons were at a loss for words.

"Wow ... ," said Charcoal. "I ... I almost feel bad for you now. ... What's your name again?"

Charcoal bit off one of the blackened marshmallows ... but then spit it out.

"My name is Spike. And I look forward to being one of your friendship assignments! I don't ask for much. I don't care what you did to me before ... as long as you'll be my big brothers now!"

"And your big sister!" added Prominence. With her fire breath, she toasted her marshmallows -- getting them perfectly brown!

The remaining dragons toasted their marshmallows.

"I must admit ... " said Charcoal, as he replaced his marshmallows ... "I fail to appreciate ... that all of us were once little baby dragons. Why should some giant dragon care about us -- whether they're our parents or not? What value is a baby dragon in the first place?"

Spike descended a little closer to Charcoal.

"Well, my big dragon," said Spike ... "if you will love me as your little brother, then you don't have to worry about such questions. If you love me, then you love yourself -- no matter what you are!"

"So ... ," responded Charcoal, putting down his marshmallow stick ... "would you like it if I gave you a hug?"

"Oh!" said Spike. "That would be great!"

Spike landed against Charcoal's chest and gave him a big hug! Charcoal blushed with an embarrassed smile. Then he gave Spike a big friendly squeeze.

Spike's face was warm with affection.

"It feels so good, doesn't it?" said Spike. "Hugging me like the baby dragon you once were!"

Spike's body started to glow a faint yellow.

Charcoal's face was also warm with affection. "You're right, little one! It really does feel ... like being in my mommy's arms again!"

Spike now glowed a bright yellow.

"Wow, Spike!" exclaimed Garble, eating his marshmallows. "You're glowing like a fireball!"

Charcoal took a closer look. "You're right, Garble! He's bright yellow!"

"Is this like ... the magic of friendship?" asked Backdraft.

"I bet it is!" exclaimed Charcoal. "After all ... I've been assigned to Camp Magic. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it! Oh ... and by the way, Spike -- my name is Charcoal! I'm sorry I was your enemy for so long. Thank you so much for forgiving me. I'll be making it up to you ... by being one of your best friends!"

Charcoal rubbed his nose against Spike's. Spike returned the favor.

Secretly, Garble used his finger to dry another tear. Backdraft had to do the same thing.

Spike shed a happy tear. "No need to hurry, my big brother! I just want to know that I'm safe in your arms."

Charcoal also shed a happy tear. "Smolder is a really cool girl. She's like a little sister to us. I'm so glad she introduced you to us!"

"Same here!" said Backdraft, eating his marshmallows.

"I agree!" added Fizzle, as he ate his.

"He's such a cute little boy!" said Prominence. She rubbed the little purple dragon's head.

"He certainly is!" agreed Garble. "Almost as cute as my little sister!"

Putting down their marshmallow sticks, the rest of the gang gave Charcoal and Spike a big group hug!


Section #4:

On the Camp Generosity stage, Rarity had gone missing.

"Oh dear," said Twilight. "I hope Rarity is all right."

Rarity rushed back onto the stage. She stopped a few moments to catch her breath.

"Sorry, darlings!" she said. "I had to make an emergency visit to the powder room."

"Why don't you just say 'bathroom' like everyone else?" asked Gallus.

Some of the audience laughed, including Garble's gang ... along with Trixie, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Spike. Rarity turned red with embarrassment.

"So," said Gallus, "without any more chatter, let's get this camp started. Camp Generosity, come on down!"

Once again, the audience clapped. The "Generosity Campers" started making their way down, including Backdraft. The next sixth of the Royal Guard got up. So did Grampa Gruff. Once more, over 500 students started making their way down to the field.

Ocellus' baby brother (let's call him "Shelldon") gave his mother and father a kiss. Then he flew off to join the others.

Back on the Generosity stage, Rarity was pretty angry at Gallus. Leaning in toward him, she almost pressed her face against his.

"Gallus!" she whispered. "How dare you upstage your own professor!"

"I was getting sick of waiting," protested Gallus. "Why do ponies need these long speeches? Why can't we just get to the point?"

Rarity sighed and walked away from him.

* * *

All the Generosity Campers now stood in front of the Generosity Camp stage. (Some who could fly hovered just above the crowd, including Backdraft and Grampa Gruff.)

Facing the audience, Rarity cleared her throat.

"My dear creatures!" she declared. "Welcome to Camp Generosity!"

The audience clapped.

"Generosity," she continued, "is such an amazing thing! When one creature gives to another -- expecting nothing in return -- it is such a mysterious experience!"

Gabby hovered beside Rarity. Now she faced the audience.

"Generosity," said Gabby, "is the sister of kindness. Kindness is about getting pleasure from helping others -- rather than hurting them. Generosity is about sharing with others -- rather than keeping everything to yourself."

As Gabby spoke, she did some loops in the air, along with some gestures to illustrate her points.

"But what if they don't say thanks?" continued Gabby. "How, then, should you react?"

"I punch 'em in the face!" called Backdraft, punching the air with his right fist.

Some of the students laughed ... including Smolder, Gallus, Whirlwind, and Grampa Gruff.

"How many of you are parents?" asked Rarity. "Raise your hands or hooves."

Sandbar's parents raised their hooves, along with Yona's and Ocellus's. So did Shining Armor. Many parents had brought their children to the School of Friendship, and many of them were sitting in the bleachers. Some of them were students themselves. These parents also raised their hands and hooves.

After a while, Grampa Gruff also raised his hand.

"How many of you love to do nice things for your children?" asked Rarity.

All the parents continued to hold up their hands or hooves. Hanging his head with shame, Grampa Gruff lowered his.

"You want to give your children a good life," continued Rarity. "But oftentimes, they do not appreciate your efforts. They may act as if nothing is enough."

Spike flew to the stage and landed beside Rarity. (For the time, he was no longer glowing.)

"Hello, Spikey!" said Rarity, giving him a big hug. "Is there something you want to say? To me? Or to the audience?"

Spike looked toward the audience. Then he hung his head with sadness. Fidgeting, he started scratching the ground with his foot.

Spike looked back toward the crowd. "As many of you know ... I once destroyed Ponyville ... or at least a fair bit of it. Some creatures gave me presents for my birthday. And I grew greedy. And I grew and grew ... until I became ... became ..."

Spike sniffled.

"... a giant greedy monster!"

Spike's eyes started to get wet again.

"So, please, creatures! Don't spoil your children. If they are mean to you, then don't give them any more presents!"

For a moment, Spike cried. Then he took a few deep breaths.

"Don't get me wrong," said Spike ... "you should never stop caring for your children. Don't hurt them. Don't abandon them."

Spike took a few more deep breaths.

"It's every child's right to get plenty to eat ... and have a good place to live ... and have someone to protect them ... and to teach them. But everything else is a privilege."

Once more, he sniffled. "For so long ... ponies thought dragons were evil by nature ... just because they were dragons. I felt I had to deny who I was, if I wanted to be a friend. But then Smolder came along ... and explained that it was just a weird power burst. I'm not sure how it happened ... and it's never happened again. All I know is ... for a long time ... I was terrified whenever a creature offered me a present!"

Back in the bleachers, Garble started to laugh. So did the rest of his gang. Charcoal himself had to laugh under his breath, his hand covering his mouth. Some other creatures also laughed ... especially many of the other dragon students. Smolder herself had to smile.

Spike hung his head, feeling humiliated.

"Don't feel ashamed, Spikey," said Rarity, giving him a warm smile. "I'm proud of you!"

"That was a great speech, my little dragon!" praised Gabby, picking him up and giving him a big squeeze. "So eloquent! So insightful!"

Smolder flew down to the scene. "Girls, why don't I talk with Spike for a moment?"

Smolder picked up Spike. Holding him in her arms, she whispered to him, "Spike, please don't take it to heart. I must confess, I myself was laughing on the inside. But it's nothing against you."

"You really mean that, Smolder?" whispered Spike, hugging her back. "You don't think I'm a joke?"

Smolder laughed for a moment, but then she stopped herself. "You enjoy watching funny movies, don't you?"

"Of course."

"You laugh at the misadventures. You laugh at some of the creatures' mistakes. That's what many of these dragons are doing with you."

Spike hung his head again. "Now I feel like a bully, too."

"Here's my advice: Don't take yourself so seriously. Why don't you laugh at yourself? Or should I say -- laugh with yourself? If you can laugh with the others, then maybe they'll love your company! I'm sure my big brother would! Be a comedian!"

"I'll try, Smolder ... I'll try ... "

Smolder gave him a big squeeze. "Now go on out there and make some new dragon friends!"

She put Spike back down, and she flew back to the Camp Loyalty stage. Spike stood between Gabby and Rarity.

"My little friend gave a wonderful speech!" said Rarity. "I don't think I could have said it better myself. I think that about wraps up our introduction."

"So," said Gabby, leaping back into the air and hovering -- "let's give a warm welcome to -- Camp Loyalty!"

The audience cheered again.