• Published 9th Nov 2021
  • 1,069 Views, 55 Comments

The "Season 11" Project! -- Camp Harmony! (And What Is Patriotism?) - starponys87



The Knights of Order are ousted by their own people--but a new dictator's taken over. The School of Friendship's now training all students to wield the Elements of Harmony--and has new foreign visitors! Shining Armor seeks the magic of friendship.

  • ...
4
 55
 1,069

#17 - Sleepless in Tartarus

Author's Note:

For reference, here is what the Knights of Order look like:


As always, I'm open to your feedback. I want this to be your project, too -- not just mine! Tartarus is a heavy subject to talk about, and I hope I'm handling it in a very tasteful and agreeable way -- properly questioning its stygian design.

Section #1:

Inside Canterlot Castle, Spike and Princess Twilight were fast asleep. Twilight's royal bed was so big that Spike could easily fit and make a little bed for himself. Spike was resting his head on Twilight's tail, and he had his own little blanket.

Just then, an alarm clock rang. Twilight popped up and sat on top of the bed. Suddenly without Twilight's tail for a pillow, Spike's head fell flat on the bed. He yelped with surprise.

With her horn, Twilight turned on the lights. Then she turned off the alarm on the clock. It was 12:30 a.m., thirty minutes past midnight.

Twilight yawned and stretched her limbs. But now she was wide awake. Meanwhile, Spike continued to rest his eyes.

"Good morning, Spike," greeted Twilight. "It's time to get up."

"Is it morning already?" Spike groaned. He yawned, his eyes still shut.

"It's thirty minutes past midnight," explained Twilight. "So technically, yes. It's time to grab our things and go!"

Twilight flew out of bed. Struggling to open his eyes, Spike also tried to fly out of bed.

"But why do we have to get up now?" yawned Spike. "Couldn't it wait until after sunrise?"

His eyes barely open, he was now hovering with his blanket ... along with a new stuffed toy -- his stuffed Gabby!

"Snap Shutter and Mane Allgood are transporting an enormous load of dangerous animals," explained Twilight. "And they need help taking these creatures into Tartarus."

As Twilight spoke, she levitated three storage chests into the scene. She opened all three, just about to check the contents of each one.

"How do they do it?" asked Spike. "They're just an earth pony and a pegasus."

"I'm curious, too," said Twilight. "I'm going to ask them tonight."

Twilight looked through the first chest. "Books -- check! Paper ... notebooks ... pens ... envelopes ... check!"

Now she searched the second chest. "Portable food packets -- check! Bottled water -- check! Uni-cola -- check ... Coltlombia coffee -- check!"

She checked the third box. "Toothbrush -- check! Toothpaste ... floss -- check! Sleeping bags -- check! It appears we're good to go!"

Twilight closed the storage chests and secured them shut. Spike yawned and started to fall asleep again. Yet he was still hovering!


Section #2:

Flying high in the sky, Twilight used her horn to carry the three chests of supplies. Spike flew beside her. His eyes were barely open -- but from the way he was breathing, he was clearly sleeping.

"We're almost there, Spike!" encouraged Twilight. "I know just the place in Tartarus for a great night's sleep! It's also great for meditation!"

Twilight looked down below. Near the entrance to Tartarus, there was a caravan of wagons loaded with dangerous animals in cages. Snap Shutter and Mane Allgood were pulling the front wagon. The rest of the wagons were being pulled by Royal Guards -- including batponies.

In all, there were twenty wagons. In some of the wagons, the animals were visible. Other wagons concealed their contents. The two wagons in the very back were coupled together. Whatever was in Wagons #19 and #20, it was apparently really big!

In the first wagon (whose contents were concealed), Scootaloo was riding in the middle seat, between Starswirl and Flash Magnus. Scootaloo was happy to watch her parents in action. But she was also shaking nervously. For comfort, she held Starswirl's and Flash's hooves.

Twilight descended toward the scene. Now she hovered three stories above. With the Canterlot voice, Twilight called, "Good morning, everypony! Your Princess is here now!"

Twilight landed in front of Scootaloo's parents. She placed the three storage chests inside the wagon pulled by Scootaloo's parents. Spike landed beside her, still sleeping with his eyes barely open.

"Good morning, Your Majesty!" greeted Snap Shutter.

"And who's the little dragon boy?" asked Mane Allgood. "I hope he doesn't need to be locked up, too. He seems like a precious little baby!"

Twilight laughed. "His name is Spike. He's a little brother to me. I've raised him from an egg that I hatched, don't you know?"

Standing in his sleep, Spike mumbled, "Who do you think I am ... Cozy Glow?"

Scootaloo's parents giggled.

Both Snap Shutter and Mane Allgood were wearing their explorers' clothing. In addition, Shutter had a big camera hanging from his neck, resembling a medium-format rangefinder camera. Allgood carried a saddlebag featuring her cutie mark (a compass with a swirl of wind).

"So," asked Twilight, "what dangerous creatures have you brought this time around?"

"Here's the list!" said Snap Shutter, handing her a long scroll.

With her horn, Twilight held the big list. "Manticore ... Ursa Minor... Ursa Major ... Parasprites ... Hydra ... Cockatrices ... Timberwolf ... Cragadiles ... Tatzlwurm ... Chimera ... Bugbear ... Flash Bees ... Maulwurf ... Biteacudas ... Roc ... Puckwudgies ... Ophiotaurus ... Wow, Shutter and Allgood -- you must have been all around the world!"

"Indeed!" replied Snap Shutter. "We've even been to the Dragonlands and the Changeling Hive."

Lyra and Bon Bon jumped out of the second wagon (whose contents were also concealed). Both of them were wearing their secret-agent clothes and carrying their secret-agent gear.

"Put on these sunglasses, everyone!" said Bon Bon, with a straight and serious face.

"Right!" said Lyra, using her horn to carry the sunglasses. "You cannot look directly into a cockatrice's eyes. You could turn into stone!"

Lyra passed one pair to each pony among the team, along with a pair for Spike. Most of the ponies kept the sunglasses in their pockets for the moment; it would be quite a while before they actually started unloading anything.

"Also," added Bon Bon, "some of these creatures could hypnotize you with their stares."

"The most dangerous creatures," said Lyra, "have been restrained with Abyssinian collars, other special devices, and/or some special spells. Even so, you must never let down your guard!"

("Abyssinian collars" are the anti-magic collars used to de-power Discord and Trixie when they were in Abyssinia.)

"So, Princess," asked Starswirl, "are you ready to open the door to Tartarus?"

"Yes, I'm ready!" replied Twilight.

Twilight flew to the entrance to Tartarus. Starswirl levitated his way there. In addition, Snap Shutter unyoked himself from his wagon. Snap Shutter was carrying an artifact resembling the "Key of Unfettered Entrance" (that magical prism-shaped key that Twilight used in the Season 8 finale).

Still sleeping, Spike flew to where Twilight was. "Wow ..." he remarked with a weak voice ... "it takes all three of you to open one door ...?"

"It's called three-factor authentication," replied Starswirl. He shined his horn at the big lock.

The lock, as per Season 8, was a shaped like a big square rotated 45 degrees -- with one smaller square at each of the vertices. This arrangement looked vaguely like a baseball diamond. Inside the big square was a big circular plug.

As Starswirl shined his horn, two of the small squares lit up.

"Shining Armor and I," explained Twilight, "agreed that we needed to tighten up security all around Tartarus. We're building a security system that will be a challenge even for Discord!"

Twilight shined her horn, lighting up the other two small squares.

"The Abyssinians have some amazing technology," remarked Snap Shutter, "especially since they recovered from the Storm King! Tempest has also recovered some of the Storm King's technology."

Snap Shutter placed his prism-shaped artifact into the circular plug (the same spot where Twilight inserted the Key of Unfettered Entrance in Season 8). Finally, the big square lit up.

The great big double doors finally opened up.

Scootaloo screamed with fear. Hugging Flash Magnus, her eyes started to get wet. "Mom! Dad! I'm not so sure about this!"

Mane Allgood tried to encourage her daughter. "Don't worry, my little Scoots! We have been to Tartarus several times before."

"Yes!" added Snap Shutter. "We know this place forward and backward!"

Scootaloo shrieked. She hid behind Flash. Now she was shivering with terror. "You ... you ... visit this place all the time? Don't ... don't you fear that something bad will happen to you."

"No, not really," replied Shutter. "We just do our job, as good heroes do."

"Don't get us wrong," explained Allgood. "We're not fearless. We try to prepare for the worst, but we try not to fear for the worst."

"I love to think I'm so big and brave," cried Scootaloo. "But you two make me feel like a big little coward!"

She cried into Flash's fur.

Twilight walked up to Scootaloo. With her horn, she picked up Scootaloo and held the little pegasus in her wings.

"My little filly," said Twilight with a calm, reassuring voice, "there's nothing to be ashamed of. Fear is a good thing when it keeps you from doing something destructive. It becomes a bad thing only when it keeps you from protecting the things you love. These creatures are terrifying. And to get trapped in Tartarus ... I don't even want to think about that! There's no reason for a little girl like you to be here -- unless you feel you need the practice facing your fears."

"You -- you really mean it?" asked Scootaloo.

"I know it!" replied Twilight. "And I know that you've been pretty brave tonight. To be so scared, yet to last this long -- you should be proud of yourself. And don't forget the times when you weren't afraid to help save the day! If someday you ever need to visit Tartarus, I'm sure your love for your friends will overcome your fear of failure!"

"Thanks ... thanks, my dear Princess!" Scootaloo gave a weak smile. Then she yawned. "Could somepony take me home now? I just want to get some sleep now."

Suddenly, Fluttershy fluttered out of one of the wagons. It was the giant wagon carrying the Ursa Major, with the Ursa Minor's wagon standing beside it. These bears were in great long cages, lying on their backs. (They looked smaller than you'd expect, but we'll get to that later.)

"I'll take you home, Scootaloo!" said Fluttershy. She grabbed a big saddlebag and placed Scootaloo inside. She zipped it shut, leaving only Scootaloo's head exposed. Then she attached the bag to her back.

The two giant bears roared with frustration. Scootaloo yelped again.

Fluttershy jumped into the sky. Hovering above, she faced the crowd. "So, everyone, do you think you can manage without me?"

"You've been a great help for us!" said Starswirl. "I think the magic of your kindness is rubbing off on us!"

"In that case, I look forward to seeing what you've learned!" Fluttershy waved her hoof. "See you later, everyone!"

Scootaloo also waved. She was now getting sleepy. "See you later, Mom and Dad! I look forward to having breakfast with you!"

"We'll be back before you know it!" declared Snap Shutter.

Scootaloo gave a big yawn. She closed her eyes and started to fall asleep.

"Goodnight, my little one!" said Mane Allgood.

"Goodnight!" said Snap Shutter.

Fluttershy flew out of the scene. Scootaloo was now fast asleep in the big bag.

Twilight walked to the double doors. "Okay, Spike!" said Twilight. "It's time to make our way in!"

Twilight looked down. "Oh ..."

Spike was lying on the ground, in a deep sleep. With a warm sense of affection, Twilight held him in her arms. "Let me find you that safe little place for a little dragon boy to get a good night's sleep! Starswirl, hold the fort for me!"

"Will do, Your Highness!" said Starswirl.

Carrying Spike in her arms, Twilight fluttered her way into the great big dungeon.


Section #3:

A few feet inside the great rocky prison, Twilight hovered just above the rocky ground.

As Twilight remembered from earlier visits, the entrance to Tartarus led to a fairly narrow and rocky path, not much wider than the entrance. If you walked off the path, there would be nothing to hold you up -- you would fall down the great abyss.

Of course, Twilight didn't have much fear of falling -- since she had her great alicorn wings. Deep inside, however, she was nervous for her flightless friends.

Twilight flew up and hovered high above.

Down the narrow and rocky path, there were great bunches of cages along both sides. Many of these cages were empty, but many of them were occupied by deadly creatures. Some distance down, the path split into three. Around here, Cerberus was standing guard. He was eating from three doggy bowls.

Beyond the intersection, the central path led to a narrow staircase leading up to cage where Lord Tirek used to be imprisoned. This cage was housed inside a great rocky pinnacle, which stood out from the great abyss.

From high above, Twilight could see many great rocky pinnacles, all of them coming out from the abyss. There were paths and stairs leading to each one. All of these pinnacles were for confining the most dangerous and unreformable creatures. Each pinnacle had a top with most of the rock carved out -- making for a platform flanked by two giant walls. On these platforms, dangerous prisoners would be caged and/or shackled. It was a lot like sitting on a pedestal -- in an open display of humiliation.

Most of the pinnacles were vacant, not even having a cage. But there was one that held a giant dragon, his tail shackled to the ground and his mouth muzzled. Other chains limited his use of his limbs. Similar prisons held several more giant monsters, including a Godzilla-like creature, a giant moth-like creature, a giant spider, a giant ant, a giant serpent, and an Ursa Major.

Far away, there were seven pinnacles arranged in a group -- forming the points of a hexagon with a seventh point in the middle. The six points of the hexagon each had a prisoner in a cage. The point in the middle was completely vacant. Without a pair of binoculars, it was hard to see who was inside these cages -- but these areas were clearly occupied.

"Okay, my little dragon," said Twilight. "Let's get you to that safe place I was talking about!"

At the wall by the entrance, there was a corner where it was safe to sit [as there seems to be here]. In this corner, Twilight used her horn to pull out a big rock. This rock was hiding a passage just tall and wide enough for a pony to walk into.

Inside was a comfy-looking cave. In fact, it came complete with a bed and pillow! There was also a bathroom.

Twilight placed Spike on the bed. Into the scene, she teleported his blanket and his stuffed Gabby. She also left a lantern on the bed table, as a big nightlight.

"Goodnight, Spikey!" whispered Twilight. She gave him a big kiss. "I'll see you in a few hours!"

At the entrance to the rocky bedroom, there was a barred door. Twilight locked the door shut, but she left a key for Spike on the bed table, while taking one for herself.

Exiting the cave, Twilight returned the rock that was hiding the passage -- but she left just enough of an opening for Spike to pop out.


Section #4:

Twilight returned to the entrance to Tartarus. Looking out through the doors, she called, "All right, everypony! Let's bring in the dangerous prisoners!"

"It's about time!" called one of the Royal Guards (a unicorn), who'd been growing impatient.

"Hey, don't talk to your ruler that way!" said another Guard (a pegasus).

"Follow my lead!" called Twilight, with a smile.

One by one, the wagons started making their way into Tartarus. Twilight led the way, walking down the rocky path toward Cerberus (who was still eating). Starswirl followed right behind. Just behind him, Snap Shutter and Mane Allgood pulled their wagon, leading the rest of the wagons.

"Twilight," asked one Royal Guard (a batpony, pulling the wagon just behind Scootaloo's parents), "do you think all twenty wagons will fit at once?"

Twilight paused and scratched her head. "I think we should save the biggest carts for last. Let's handle the smaller animals first."

Ten wagons made their way just inside the great big dungeon. It was kind of crowded, but not too much a hazard.

The ponies pulling the wagons now unyoked themselves. They started unloading the wagons. Everyone now put on their special sunglasses (provided earlier by Lyra and Bon Bon)

Scootaloo's parents, wearing their special sunglasses, started unloading their own wagon. With great effort, they pulled out the first cage. It was filled with cockatrices.

Twilight gasped. She was kind of nervous, but she remained committed to the mission.

"I don't blame you, Princess," said Allgood. "Some powerful creatures have been turned to stone by a cockatrice's stare."

Twilight laughed nervously. "I ... I might know from personal experience ..."

"Don't worry too much," assured Snap Shutter. "These bird monsters have been blindfolded."

Twilight took a second look. Indeed, they were. Twilight sighed with relief.

With his horn, Starswirl lifted the cage of cockatrices. He placed it on top of one of the Tartarus cages. The little bird monsters were clucking and roaring with anger and frustration.

"You think that cage will be secure enough?" asked Flash Magnus, who was now struggling to pull out a second cage.

"They're just cockatrices," said Starswirl. "They can turn unicorns to stone -- but they can't escape a well-built cage. We save the anti-magic cages for the strongest or most magical creatures."

Flash now pulled out another cage. It was filled with parasprites. The big swarm of parasprites was crowded into a relatively small space. Surprisingly enough, they were smiling -- blissfully accepting their imprisonment!

Twilight sighed with relief. "At least parasprites are not so scary."

"I wouldn't say that," said Starswirl. "At least not with these. These little critters started with eating apples and hayburgers. But then they tried eating little colts and fillies. Fortunately, we caught them just in time."

"Ughhh!" Twilight cringed.

Again, Starswirl used his horn to grab the cage. He placed it on top of another of the Tartarus cages.

Starswirl now pulled out the third cage. Twilight gasped even more than with the cockatrices. "Is that ... is that ...?"

"Yes," replied Starswirl. "It's a changeling. As it turns out, Chrysalis wasn't the only one who never reformed."

"I hope he can't turn into a snake or something ... or into a three-headed dog that could seduce Cerberus ...?"

"He's wearing an Abyssinian collar," assured Flash. "Take a look!"

The non-reformed changeling hissed and growled, sticking out his forked tongue. But he could do nothing. Once again, Starswirl used his horn to grab the cage. He placed it on top of another of the Tartarus cages.

Lyra and Bon Bon uncovered the second wagon. It contained a chimera and a manticore.

"We've been cleaning up the forests," explained Bon Bon -- "to make the place safe for ponies."

Two Royal Guards now uncovered the third wagon. (These guards were a unicorn and a batpony. The unicorn's head looked like that of a batpony as well.) This wagon contained a bugbear and an Ophiotaurus. Both of them roared at the ponies.

Again, Twilight was a little rattled. She hyperventilated a little.

"I-I don't understand," she stammered. "I'm -- I'm a great and powerful alicorn. Many of these creatures should be easy for me to beat. So -- so what am I afraid of?"

With his horn, Starswirl held Twilight's hoof. With a calm and reassuring voice, he said, "All of us have different fears, my dear Princess. Some make perfect sense. But some make no sense at first glance. Even so, I think every fear tells us something about ourselves. Every fear is our body's attempts at self-preservation. A fear that seems irrational may be a clue to something we do need to watch out for."

"You -- you mean like ladybugs?"

"Don't be ashamed, Your Majesty. Let's think it through."

"I -- I used to think ladybugs had spots that were extra eyes. And ... and ... I guess that ... makes me feel some creature is always watching me ... maybe some evil wizard trying to gather intelligence? Or maybe the thought of extra eyes makes it just feel like some abominable monster seeking to destroy space and time itself?" Twilight laughed nervously.

"You mean something like this?" asked a Royal Guard (named "Jester", an earth pony with a bat-like face). With a mischievous grin, he uncovered the fourth wagon.

Twilight shrieked. She hid behind Starswirl. In her effort to scramble out of harm's way, her special sunglasses fell off.

Inside a big cage, there was a big green monster resembling a ladybug. And it actually had eyes on its spots! The Royal Guard laughed.

"Don't scare your Princess like that!" scolded Mane Allgood.

"Any other Princess," added Starswirl, "would probably lock you up for your disgraceful conduct!"

"I must admit, Mr. Jester," said Twilight, "I think you would find a more fulfilling job with Cheese Sandwich."

Jester sighed, hanging his head.

In the fourth wagon, there were two other containers. One was a box containing a Flash Bee hive. Another was a caged aquarium containing Biteacudas.

"Those particular Flash Bees," explained Snap Shutter, "are exceptionally aggressive. I call them 'killer bees'."

"Indeed," said Mane Allgood. "One pony was stung thousands of times and ended up in the hospital -- even though she was two miles away from the hive."

"Those biteacudas," added Snap Shutter, "would eat a bear."

The fifth wagon held a cage with 13 puckwudgies. They were being kept in a plastic cage that they could not shoot their quills through -- but that wasn't stopping them from trying.

"Thanks, Shutter and Allgood," praised Twilight, "for making the schoolgrounds much safer. How do you do it?"

"See this camera around my neck?" answered Shutter. "This isn't just for taking pictures. It can also stun bigger and more powerful creatures -- if you shoot them in the eyes!"

"In my saddlebag," added Allgood, "I have lots more gadgets, which I'd love to show you!"

Mane Allgood pulled a compass of her saddlebag. "See this compass? It's not just for navigation. It helps detect dangerous creatures." Putting the compass back, she pulled out some glowing ropes." These are magical ropes that can tie up even a Hydra or an Ursa Minor." Allgood now pulled out a bottle of potion. "And this potion can knock out an Ursa Major and even make a Tatzlwurm dizzy!"

In addition, the fifth wagon had a caged aquarium containing three monsters resembling seaponies -- these creatures were kelpies in the more classical sense. These kelpie monsters would look kind of cute and approachable -- if they weren't roaring and thrashing around. All three were wearing blindfolds.

"Again -- be extra careful!" warned Bon Bon. "These kelpie monsters hypnotized three captains into wrecking their cruise ships."

"They've been blindfolded," said Lyra, "but, again -- never let down your guard!"

Twilight watched the three monsters, impressed at how well they seemed to be contained. Just then, one of the kelpie monsters managed to knock off its blindfold. Growling and hissing, it stared toward Twilight.

Twilight started to get hypnotized. Freezing in place, her eyes turned white. Suddenly, she gasped, snapping out of it. Yelping with fright, she ducked to the floor and covered her head.

Pulling up his camera, Snap Shutter snapped a photo of the offending kelpie monster. The magical flash stunned the monster. With her horn, Lyra put the blindfold back onto the creature, this time securing it more tightly.

Twilight sighed with relief again. She got back up. Lyra also put Twilight's special sunglasses back on.

The sixth and seventh wagons each held a Cragadile in a great big cage.

"Did you catch those things, too -- Shutter and Allgood?" asked Twilight.

"Yes, we did!" said Shutter and Allgood, with proud smiles.

"We don't usually fight monsters directly," explained Snap Shutter. "Mainly, we outwit them, outmaneuver them, and ambush them. And strike them at their weakest points!"

"Flash Magnus has been a great mentor for us," said Mane Allgood. "And so has Mage Meadowbrook. Oh, and Starswirl -- he invented some our magical devices."

"No need for thanks," said Flash. "I'm just doing my job!"

"Same with me," said Starswirl.

"And me," said Mage Meadowbrook.

Meadowbrook was with the eighth wagon. She herself was equipped as a Royal Guard. She revealed the contents of her wagon.

It was a cage with three dragon prisoners, two boys and one girl. These dragons were wearing Abyssinian collars, and they were muzzled. The girl was growling and snarling. One boy seemed to be terrified. The other was crying a little.

"These dragons were smashing dragon eggs," explained Meadowbrook. "We stopped them before they could cause serious injury."

"Did you get Ember's permission?" asked Twilight.

"Ember herself asked if we could send them here. Can't really argue with a Dragon Lord."

Twilight sighed, hanging her head. "The more I visit this place ... the less I feel afraid to enter ... but the more I feel sad. I can't help but feel ... that something's wrong with this picture." She took a few deep breaths. "Every time I walk into those sinister-looking doors, I ... I ... I feel I'm in a demon's lair." Twilight took some more deep breaths.

The ninth wagon was a caged aquarium holding a shark monster. The tenth was holding a "lightning ray" -- a stingray that could shoot little lightning bolts.

Twilight walked back outside Tartarus to observe the remaining creatures. Wagons #11-20 all contained the biggest animals -- the ones that would take the most work to secure in prison.

Outside, Wagon #11, pulled by Big Mac, held an Ursa Minor. Wagon #12, pulled by Rockhoof, held an Ursa Major. Both these creatures were huge -- but not as big as you'd expect from "Boast Busters".

"Hey, Big Mac!" said Rockhoof. "I'm ready for a rematch. I was out of practice before -- but now I'm back to my legendary strength!"

Wagon #13 held a Hydra in a caged aquarium -- with all the heads chained and muzzled. Again, this creature did not look as big as you'd expect. Wagons #14 and #15 each held a Timberwolf, whose size was about as you'd expect (and could probably just barely be squeezed through the door).

Wagon #16 held a Maulwurf; Wagons #17 and #18 each contained a roc (those giant birds that love to eat molting baby dragons). The Maulwurf and the rocs also looked kind of shrunk.

Wagons #19 and #20 were coupled together. Together, they held a cage containing a Tatzlwurm. This creature definitely seemed to have been shrunk.

"Big Mac," asked Twilight, "some of these creatures look as if they were shrunk. Do we actually have shrinking spells that are that powerful?"

Rockhoof explained, "Ceridwen agreed to shrink some of these creatures for us. She didn't have much choice, being a prisoner herself."

"Yup!" agreed Big Mac. "Still purdy angry at 'er for shrinkin' me!"

Shining Armor and Flash Sentry had been standing around Wagons #19 and #20. They walked over to meet Twilight.

"It's funny," chuckled Shining Armor. "Even without the Abyssinian collar, she was just barely able to use her size-changing powers."

"Loosening her collar," remarked Twilight, "sounds like a pretty big risk."

"Not that much," replied Flash Sentry. "Especially not when faced with all six Pillars of Equestria -- while she herself is disconnected from her own Element."

Shining Armor growled toward Flash Sentry, giving him a hard stare.

"Shining Armor," said Twilight, "why are you being mean to Mr. Sentry?"

Armor sighed. "I ... I guess I just don't trust him. Maybe ... maybe I'm jealous ... that you'll start to love him more than me ...?"

"Do you love Cadance more than me?" asked Twilight.

"Don't be silly!" exclaimed Shining Armor, giving Twilight a big hug. "You mean as much to me as my entire kingdom!"

"That's what you mean to me," said Twilight, hugging him back. "I wish Spike could know that I feel the same way about him. Having no one to call his parents ... I wish I could be as precious to him as he is to me!"

"Captain Armor," said Flash Sentry, "Twilight is not committed to me. She has a few others on her mind. Right now, we're just friends."

Armor sighed again. "Or maybe I just try too hard to be protective? Because deep inside ... I feel helpless to protect my loved ones from our most deadly enemies?"

Armor turned to Sentry. "I'm sorry, Sentry. Maybe I take my fears and frustrations out on you?"

"Maybe I need to be more professional in my conduct," said Flash Sentry, "to avoid sending the wrong message."

"I don't really care who's wrong or right," said Twilight, wrapping her arms around both Armor and Sentry. "All I want is that we care for one another and keep growing in friendship!"

"So, Twilight," asked Shining Armor, "do you really feel ready to spend a whole week in Tartarus? I was down there last night, you know -- and I was terrified the whole time. Starswirl had to calm me down."

"I don't feel that scared, anymore," said Twilight. "But I do feel kind of sad. I feel almost as if no creature should have to suffer such darkness and despair. But I guess we're just doing what we have to do."

Armor sighed. He sat on the ground. "Ever since the Knights of Order tried to destroy us ... I can't trust the ground I walk on. I kept feeling the abyss might swallow me up, along with my Royal Guard. The defeated Knights, on the other hand ... they seemed pretty calm. Confinement in the depths of Tartarus didn't seem to bother them that much."

"They do seem to have nerves of steel," remarked Twilight, also taking a seat. "They say, 'Because our elements are tied to love of country, we are not at the whims of feelings.' " Twilight took a deep breath. "But somehow, I don't think that's true. They were passionate for something ... or why would they work so hard trying to destroy us?"

"This place called Tartarus," said Flash Sentry, sitting next to Armor -- "it seems to expose our deepest and darkest fears. Anyone who could explore this place -- understanding the true dangers ... they must fear nothing but fear itself."

"Do you really think you can reform the Knights of Order?" asked Shining Armor. "It seems like a lost cause to me."

"There is at least one," said Twilight -- "at least one who didn't really want to destroy us. You know ... the size-changing bird."

"You really think you see some good in her?" Armor was kind of surprised. "What's her name again?"

"Ceridwen. Rainbow Dash tells me, Ceridwen actually tried to keep King Danu from destroying Equestria. She tried to make Princess Ocypete marry a bad man -- to keep the Elements of Love from getting activated. It was when Celaeno turned on the final Element ... that was when Ceridwen stopped caring about us."

Twilight paused. "But if she really didn't care anymore, then why didn't she try to destroy Canterlot in one fell swoop? We should have been glue under her feet. Or tail or whatever. Was she not able to? Or was she too squeamish?"

"Well," replied Flash Sentry -- "Ceridwen was supposed to be the Element of Equity. But I don't see anything fair or just about trying to destroy innocent kingdoms."

"Maybe she was already losing her connection?" said Shining Armor. "Along with all the others."

"I bet they were all running on fumes," agreed Flash. "If they had managed to destroy us, then I'm sure they would have paid with their own Elements."

Twilight yawned. "I think it's time for me to sleep now. My big brother, do you think you can handle these creatures by yourself?"

Armor scoffed. "It's just a bunch of animals, you know!"

Twilight tried to stop herself from giggling.