• Published 29th Oct 2021
  • 299 Views, 3 Comments

Nothin' but Button - TheGandyMan



Some stories about Stereo Mic, Button Mash, and Sweetie Belle as they deal with college.

  • ...
 3
 299

Chapter 1: Reunitation is Totally a Word

Stereo Mic liked to consider himself a rational pony. Heck he’d even say he was one of the most rational ponies, especially for a Pegasus. He did not get himself into dangerous situations, he avoided problematic situations as best he could, and to top it off he was fairly good at talking ponies to a point of reasonableness. All and all, Stereo Mic was a rational pony.

So why was he here, on a train to Fillydelphia, covered in sweat and apple juice? At first glance, explaining this might seem like it would be a bit complicated, but you could actually do so with a single word, or rather, a name.

Button Mash.

…okay fine, two words... two names.

Next to the charcoal grey Pegasus, sat a brown earth pony. He goes by the name Button Mash, likely because that is his name. His signature propeller hat currently sat on the seat beside him. Both pony and hat were as soaked as Mic as was, however that did little to alleviate the pegasus’ anger.

The moments passed by in silence as they sat there but was eventually broken by Button’s voice.

“We should be getting to town in about twenty or so minutes.”

More silence.

“Sweetie Belle will likely be waiting for us at the station.”

“…you think they have a wet towel? My flank is sticking to the sea-”

“What kind of idiot offers orange juice to the APPLE FAMILY!?” Mic finally exploded. He glared at Button in a combination if anger and confusion. Button held up his hooves defensively.

“Oh come on, it was funny!”

“Don’t give me that, you knew what you were doing.”

“Offering oranges so I could make a joke about Applejack's coat?” Button offered with another shrug.

“You don’t ju- wait… THAT’S why you did that?”

Button rolled his eyes and crossed his hooves, “Well why did you think I did it?”

“I don’t know. Attention maybe?” Mic was suddenly feeling a little doubtful in his accusations. Button rolled his eyes.

“Just existing gets me enough of that. Not that I'm complaining mind you." He crossed his forelegs, cringing a bit at the movement as it made the stickiness more prominent, "Besides it didn't go that badly."

Mic facehoofed, "Button, I don't know about you, but I personally do NOT enjoy getting chased halfway across an orchard after falling into an apple vat. I didn't even do anything!"

"Shh!" A voice shushed them from the door to their cabin. The passing conductor gave them a glare as he disappeared behind the door frame. There was an awkward moment of silence before Button spoke up again, seemingly unfazed by the interruption.

"Look bro, we hadn't seen each other in what... years? You were the only friend I had before you had to leave for Cloudsdale. I wanted our reunitation to be a bit more exciting. Angering a mare is bound to be just that. Tartarus hath no fury after all."

There was another moment of silence as Mic squinted, "Button, reunitation is not a word."

"Yeah it is. I just said it didn't I?"

"No, you just made it up."

"All words are made up."

"That- Ugh!" With a defeated groan, Mic stood up from his seat, and went and out the door, "I'm gonna go get cleaned up. They must have a shower somewhere on this thing." Button got up as well and followed behind.

"Yay, shower buddies! Let's go."

Mic rolled his eyes and thought to himself, what have I gotten myself into?

It was a good question, what had he gotten himself into and how? To answer that question, one would have to go back a bit.

THREE YEARS AGO

"Mom, I'm fine with the Cloudsdale college, really."

"No! No you are not. I've seen the way you are at school." Mic's mother the bright pink unicorn insisted, the locks of her crimson mane following her head as she shook it, "You have no friends, you rarely leave the house, and when you are at school, you look bored out of your mind." Her name was Perfect Swirl and the way she did her hair could easily attest to that.

"That's... wait, how would you know?" Mic pointed an accusatory hoof, "Have you been infiltrating my school!?"

"No, dear, of course not. Don't be silly."

Mic breathed a sigh of relief.

"I hired a few of your classmates to report back to me at the end of the month."

Mic's eyes shot open, "What!? Who?"

"See , if you had been talking to more of your classmates, you would know who it was." Crossing her forehooves she groaned in annoyance, it was a lady-like groan of course, "Despite how much you hate going to that school, you get straight A's, so I know you're not having academic issues. Quite the opposite."

Pulling up a small magazine, she plopped on the counter, "You've been looking at other schools for a while now."

At first Mic tried to sputter out an excuse until he eventually hung his head down in defeat, "Okay, fine. Yes I do want to go somewhere else. The material they go over here in Cloudsdale isn't really... my thing."

"Just say they're sports nuts Sterry." Swirl said with a roll of her eyes.

"I'm just trying to be polite."

"No, you're avoiding the subject." Swirl sighed and stepped around the corner. Using a hoof to bring his head up to look at her, "Honey, why are you insisting on staying here when I know you want to go to another school?" Mic didn't respond for a little while, but his resolve on the matter eventually broke.

"I... I just don't want to leave you on your own again. When Dad died, it was my job to take care of you. That's why I left Ponyville in the first place." Now it made a bit more sense to the mare as she chuckled a little.

"Ohh, honey. I'm okay here. I can take care of myself you know."

"Bu-"

"You call me old and I will swat you." She booped his snoot, "The point I'm getting at though is that you shouldn't hold yourself back when there are things you want and know you can achieve."

The two of them hugged for a moment, finally getting their feelings out. It felt good to finally admit he wanted to go somewhere, he'd been looking towards Fillydelphia as it turns out.

When the hug finally broke, Swirl looked her son in the eye and said, "Oh, by the Sterry, speaking of schools, I got a call from one of your old friends in Ponyville. Looks like he's looking for a roommate."

"Oh? Who is it?"

Author's Note:

Fun fact: this whole chapter got rewritten... twice. Luckily, I think it's a lot better now.

Twitter Account
Discord Server
Youtube Channel