• Published 12th Oct 2021
  • 326 Views, 36 Comments

The Alchemist - bkc56



A millennium ago, a master alchemist took on a new apprentice. Her insatiable thirst for knowledge proved his instincts correct. And the skills she learned will one day be all that stands in the way of a plot against Princess Celestia herself.

  • ...
2
 36
 326

3. A New Apprentice

Her education continued steadily. And then one day, it was over.

She had just finished transcribing a set of his notes into her master’s journal. As she closed the book, he sat down across the table from her.

"You have been a model student and have learned everything I have to teach you. We are done. I have nothing more to give you. With what you have learned, you can go study anything you want. It is time for you to seek out your next teacher."

"I already have," she responded immediately.

With no hint of surprise in his voice, he replied. "You have? What will you study now?"

"I have been thinking about this for many moons. I have considered it carefully. My next teacher will be you. I wish to learn about alchemy and magic. I want to be your apprentice. Teach me everything you know. Please."

He silently regarded her for several moments. She fidgeted in her chair, but did not break her gaze. Without a word, he stood up and walked into one of the back rooms. She could hear the sounds of things being moved about before he returned with a set of saddlebags. He set the bags on a chair and opened one side, then levitated out a silver chain. As he held it suspended before Ann’s eyes, she noticed a small flat blue stone spinning at the end.

“This is a stone of protection. It is a hard artifact to find.” A slight grin crossed his face. “I have several.” The grin faded away. “On one side is inscribed a rune of physical protection.” He paused. “Do you remember that day at the stream? That pack of bullies who were throwing things at you? This would have helped even without your own magic. On the other side is a rune of magical protection. Together they will help keep you safe. It is not like armor, but it will help.” He set it on the table.

Next, he pulled out a hooded cape that looked the same as the one he wore whenever he was out. He placed it on the table as well.

“This cape is also enhanced with a spell. It will keep you dry in the rain, warm in winter, and protect you from the sun in the summer. In time, you will learn to refresh the spells on it yourself.”

Ann stood and walked around to the other side of the table. She reached out to pick up the cape. The alchemist placed his hoof on hers to stop her.

"I know you have considered this, but have you truly weighed the consequences? To be an alchemist's apprentice is not something to be done on a whim. It will be harder than anything you have studied thus far. You will see and learn things you can never repeat, save perhaps to your own apprentice in some decades. You are selecting who and what you are for the rest of your life. Are you absolutely sure?"

She looked at him with moist eyes. Then, standing up straight, she declared, "I know. I have freely chosen this. I will not falter."

He removed his hoof, and she picked up the cape and clutched it to her chest. A couple of tears ran down her cheeks as she stood there with her eyes closed. Her heart was racing.

"It is done," he said. "You have now changed. Yesterday you were a little filly trading dusting for reading lessons. Tomorrow you will be a young mare finding your place in the world of alchemy. That world will challenge you, but you have shown you are not one to be intimidated. Never doubt the path you are on, the path you have chosen.” He smiled at her. “Go to your home now and rest, for tomorrow the hard work begins."


Shortly after noon the next day, she appeared at the house like normal. She entered and greeted the alchemist.

After returning her greeting, he looked up. “And how do you like your cape?” he asked, noting how she fidgeted.

“I don’t think I do. I’m not used to wearing anything. It itches my rump and gets in the way of my tail.” She flicked her tail which did little more than shift the cape a bit.

The alchemist laughed deeply. “I remember a… long time ago. I felt exactly the same. I hated the way it lay on my mane.” Ann nodded vigorously while scrunching her nose. “Now I can’t leave the house without it on me. You will grow accustomed to it soon enough.”

“I hope so.” She gave herself a shake and prepared to remove the cape.

“Don’t take it off yet. We have an errand to run today.” He hoofed her a small pouch which was very heavy for its size.

"Take this and place it in your saddlebag. When we reach the town, you will go to the money changer to exchange it for the bits I need to purchase supplies."

"But I’ve never used the money changer..."

He shook his head. "That isn’t a problem. Today is a good day to learn. Just remember to keep your wits about you."

With that, he put on his saddlebag, added his cape, and went out the door. She followed, closing the door behind her. The road to town tended to be quiet this time of day with ponies busy on their farms. They didn’t talk while they traveled, as the peacefulness of the day almost seemed to forbid it. When they passed a particular spot, Ann glanced down at the creek where the alchemist had saved her some years ago.

As they entered the town, ponies watched them go by. They leaned out of windows or stood in doorways. The eyes followed the pair, filled with curiosity, displeasure, or judgment. There was no question what the cape she wore meant as she walked beside the alchemist. Some new rumors would be traded today along with other market goods.

As they moved through town, houses began to give way to shops and businesses. Most buildings had the customer area in the front, with the owners living in the back. The more successful flaunted their wealth with a second story for their living quarters. They quite literally looked down on their neighbors.

When they reached the outdoor market area, the alchemist addressed Ann, “I have something I must attend to. You proceed to the money changer. Be vigilant.” He turned to go down a side street.

As he walked away, she called out, “I will.” She then continued on.

The town’s market was a rectangular space that broke up the line of houses between two streets. The resulting open area was surrounded by shops and filled with a variety of carts, tents, and tables. Ponies meandered around them, browsing the goods and haggling over prices. It was noisy, chaotic, and fun.

Ann moved through the crowded market, making her way to the money changer in his usual spot. He always set up his table in the same location in front of a store owned by his brother. The table was attended by a middle-aged and rather overweight pony. He seemed to be tempting fate and gravity with the small stool he sat on. Despite the busy day, there were no customers at his table. Nopony seemed to be interested in socializing with the likes of him.

“Good day. I would like to exchange some gold today.” He waved at a scale which sat prominently on the table, inviting its use in a transaction. As she had seen the alchemist do many times before, she dumped the gold dust on the tray. He added weights until it balanced and read off the weight. After stating the conversion rate and total, he set the bits on the table.

"There you go. Take your money and be off, as I have other customers coming." He waved a hoof dismissively.

She stood, looking at the bits for a moment. "I'm sorry, that is not the correct amount."

"It's exactly what I told you," he replied, counting off the stacks aloud.

"Yes, it is, but the math is incorrect. There should be ten more coins given the weight and rate you stated."

"Are you suggesting I don't know what I'm doing? Or perhaps you are saying I can't do the math?" he sneered with an indignant attitude.

Wanting to make sure the ponies already eavesdropping could hear better, Ann spoke a little louder than necessary, "I believe you know exactly what you are doing, and you know exactly what the gold is worth in bits. We can assume you just made an error in addition, or," and she raised her voice just a bit more, "we will know that you are trying to cheat your customers."

The gathering crowd began to murmur a bit, and a slight shadow of concern passed over the money changer's face. He made a show of re-checking the piles of coins.

"Oh, yes, it seems I made a small error. Here are the additional bits." He blew out a breath and looked off in a random direction.

"Thank you. I'm glad it was only a simple mistake." She gave him a patronizing smile.

She picked up the bits and placed them in her saddlebag. Turning around, she almost bumped into the alchemist standing directly behind her. With a small gasp, she stepped backward until her rump hit the table. She stared up at him, mouth hanging open. He looked down at her with the barest hint of a smile.

"Very well done. Please go purchase the food we shall need for the week. You know what to get."

He then moved around the side of the money changer's table. Leaning close, he softly hissed, "My apprentice speaks in my name. She acts on my behalf. She operates with my authority. I will not be cheated. Do not try me on this."

The pony said nothing and merely stared at the alchemist with wide eyes. His breathing was fast and shallow, with sweat breaking out on his brow. After a few seconds, the alchemist straightened up. With a final glance down his muzzle at the money changer, he turned to catch up with Ann. The crowd began to disperse in small groups softly muttering among themselves.


True to his word, the following weeks were harder on the apprentice than anything that had come before. There were so many names and formulas to memorize that Ann thought her head would explode. Techniques of measuring and mixing even invaded her dreams. She had never been happier in her life.

Ann stood up from her table and stretched each of her legs out in turn to work out the stiffness. “I’ve finished another set of ten measurements.”

He looked up from his journal. “And how accurate were you this time?”

She tilted her head to the left, then to the right to relieve the soreness in her neck. “Five were as close as you said I needed to be. Four were slightly underweight, and one a bit over.”

“That’s the best you’ve done so far. Again.” He returned to his reading.

“Why am I practicing estimating the amount of ingredients before using a scale? I’ll always have my equipment with me.”

The alchemist glanced up. “Not all mixing happens in the laboratory. What if you are out somewhere without your tools and need to create a mixture? Estimating may be the only scale you have. What if you have a scale, but time is critical and can not be wasted adding and removing small amounts trying to get the correct weight. What if a pony’s life is dependent on creating that mixture in time?” He paused, his eyes locked on the apprentice. “Will you tell the pony’s family they were lost because you were too slow?”

She stood with mouth agape for a moment. “Have you ever had to do that?”

His gaze drifted off in a random direction. “I have been called upon to aid various groups… Sometimes, things do not go as planned… You try, but sometimes you are unable to… I lost her... ” He shook his head and refocused on her. “As I said, you may not always have the benefit of your laboratory.”

She sat down and began dumping her measured samples back into their containers. “I think I’ll do the exercise again. With more practice, I bet I can get ten out of ten.”

“That is good.” His eyes went back to his journal, though they did not see it. He sighed heavily, lost in his memories.


As the months went by, Ann’s lessons became more complex and, sometimes, more dangerous. The alchemist also encouraged her to work on her own special projects.

Ann burst into the house and pranced in place. "It worked! It worked."

The alchemist looked up from studying some mineral samples. "You have a variety of assignments and projects. Which one are you referring to?"

She waved a hoof back and forth in front of her. "Oh, sorry, sorry. It's the one where you hide a message on a page."

He nodded. "Dipping the paper in a solution that hides the message, which can be then revealed with the application of a specific spell."

"Yes, exactly. And you know I've been trying to get it to work without a pony needing to know a special unlock spell? So anypony could simply touch the page to reveal the message?"

"Yes. And I know your last three attempts burst into flames when you had me try to unlock them." He raised his leg and inspected the bottom of his hoof.

"Psssh.” She shook her head several times. “The original formula was wrong. Too much phosphorus. I can get the same results with one-tenth as much."

He turned his hoof to face Ann. "My hoof is grateful for your refinements."

"Yes, yes. So last night I soaked a paper in two mixtures. One half for unicorns, the other half for earth ponies. This morning I tried it with my dad. First, with us touching the wrong sides. Nothing happened. Then we touched the correct sides. There was a little puff of smoke, no flames..." She flashed him a grin. "And the message revealed itself. It worked perfectly."

He sat up in his chair. "And what did this secret message say?"

"It said 'I love you, dad', and I signed it 'your favorite unicorn daughter'. It was all there, visible on the paper." She waved the sheet of paper at him.

"I believe you are his only unicorn daughter..."

She nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, which makes me his favorite." She looked down as she sat the paper on her table.

He paused. "Your logic is sound."

He stood up and walked over to her. "Windflower..." Her head snapped up. He almost never addressed her by that name.

"You should be very proud of what you accomplished. Such a complex combination of alchemy and magic is no small feat. Few would succeed." He paused for a long time, then smiled warmly. "I am very proud of you. Your growth as a person and an alchemist has been fulfilling to watch. I am pleased to have been a part of it."

She tackled him in a hug. "Thank you." She sniffled a couple times.

He briefly returned the hug. Letting go, he cleared his throat. Ann stepped back. "I believe you have some test results to document in your journal?"

"Yes, I do." She went back to her table and sat down. "And I need to figure out the mixture for a pegasus. Next, I want to do a test that requires all three races to unlock."


Ann stepped into the alchemist's house. She paused to push aside the covering over the window by the front door. She glanced at the alchemist. He must be in a good mood today, as he didn’t even harrumph at the incursion of sunlight. As she shut the door, she froze. There on her table were ten small vials filled with various powders. She began to prance in place. "This is new! This is something brand new. What is it?"

The alchemist chuckled. "Your enthusiasm is... infectious. Yes, this is a new exercise that you'll be doing every so often going forward."

She stopped prancing and walked to the table to look at the vials. "What are they? What do I do with them?"

With a smirk, he replied, "I don't know what they are. And that's what you will figure out. Each numbered vial contains an ingredient you have used in previous mixtures you have prepared. You will figure out what each one is and write them down on a list."

She glanced over her shoulder at him. "How will I do that? How can I figure out what they each are?"

"You have learned many skills to help you identify and check the quality of raw ingredients. Today you will use those same skills, but in a slightly different way. There's smell, texture, if they dissolve in water, if they burn and what color, as well as many others. Use the knowledge you have acquired.” He paused for a moment. “You have been working with these ingredients for months. You know them well. Reach out with your magic. Feel their familiarity." He then returned to the book he was reading.

Ann moved around the table to sit down. With her brow furrowed in concentration, she studied each vial. She selected one, opened it, and smelled. A subtle smile crept across her face. She closed her eyes and probed it with magic. “Got one!” She grabbed a sheet of paper and wrote down the vial’s number and the compound’s name.

The alchemist did not look up. “The others may not be as easy…” He cleared his throat trying to mask a grin.

Several hours of diligent study had passed. Finally, she sat up straight and announced, “Done!” She levitated the paper with her answers to the alchemist’s table and leaned back in her chair, stretching her back. “I need a little walk.” She stood up.

“A moment…” he said as he lifted a hoof. His eyes drifted down the page. “You correctly named nine of the items. You misidentified potassium chloride as sodium chloride. A simple flame test would have clarified the correct answer.”

She smacked her forehead with a hoof. “I knew that.” She lowered her leg. “So... I passed?” She smiled hopefully.

“Your performance was... acceptable. But be warned, future exercises will not be as easy as this first one.”

“Easy? I spent hours on that!”

He glanced at her. “You only spent hours. I underestimated your skill and made this first one too simple. I will correct that oversight.”

Ann stood, mouth agape.

“Fear not. I have more skills to teach you that will make it possible to identify ingredients and even mixtures with ease.”

Ann’s mouth snapped shut. “New skills? What new skills?”

He regarded her for a moment, then pointed to a table against the wall. Its surface was cluttered with lab equipment and notes. Along the back, by the wall, was a relatively clear area. Setting in it were three metal stands. Each had a vertical bar with a crosspiece clamped to it partway up. “Go look at those. Tell me what you see.”

She walked to the table and studied the experiment set up on it. “They look like little slips of paper hanging over a dish of liquid. Each strip is smeared with color.”

He nodded. “Indeed. For mixtures that can be dissolved in a solvent, like water or alcohol, that is a way to essentially see what it’s composed of by studying the trail it leaves on the paper. It’s a technique developed by a wise Saddle Arabian wizard some years ago. You shall learn how to use this.”

“Oh, when? Can we start today?” She hopped in place a couple times.

“Patience, apprentice. I know you thirst for knowledge, and it will come in time.”

Ann calmed down, tilting her head. “You said skills. This is one. What other new skills?”

He squinted at her. “If I tell you, will you promise not to inundate me with unabated requests about when you will learn it?”

She grinned. “Yes, yes, of course.”

The alchemist lifted his head and glared down his muzzle at her.

Ann lowered her ears. “Yes, I promise.”

He held his stare a moment longer. “Very well. You have been working with magic and levitation to remove impurities from ingredients.” She nodded. “The spell you use to identify the impurities is a trivial form of a spell you can use to identify ingredients in a mixture. They are based on the same root magic.”

“And you will teach this to me?” He raised one of his eyebrows. “I didn’t say anything about when. I was just asking if I would learn it. One day... Eventually…” She gave him her best puppy dog eyes expression.

“Yes, I will teach it to you. One day.” He smiled. “Now, the hour is getting late. So if you would be so kind as to run home and see what your kind mother has prepared for us this evening. I find myself rather hungry.”


Some months later while returning from the town, Ann finally decided to ask a question she had been wondering about for some time.

“Master, what about regular unicorn magic? Most everything you’ve taught me has been related to alchemy and mixing. When will you teach me more traditional spells?”

He glanced at her. “Learning magic is about more than just how many spells you know. You must be in touch with your environment, drawing on the energy all around you. The spells you have been working on for months have helped you improve that ability.”

“I guess…” She sighed. “It’s mostly magic I already knew, like levitation.”

They arrived at his home and went inside. “You must truly understand the spells you know before you can learn new ones. Levitation is perhaps the most basic of spells a unicorn can learn. When we first met, you had difficulty eating soup with a spoon without spilling. Yesterday, while wearing a blindfold, you were able to levitate individual grains of sand out of a pile. Reaching out with magic, you sorted them by size and color. Few possess skills that refined.”

They removed their capes and saddlebags. “And teleportation magic. Since learning that, you have gained strength, distance, and accuracy. You can even teleport the smoke bombs we use to entertain the town foals. Teleporting other items is not a common skill.”

The alchemist sat down, indicating a chair for Ann. “And shield spells. You are no longer a filly on a ledge blocking rocks thrown at you. Now you can defend yourself from fire either natural or enhanced, from items thrown at you, and from magical attacks.”

“Okay. But when will I learn attack spells?” She gestured to herself. “You can cast the attacks that I practice defending against. When will I learn to do that?” She looked down and ran her hoof over the tabletop.

He furrowed his brow. “Why would you want to know spells that can hurt or kill a pony?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know. It may be necessary to defend myself or somepony else. There may come a time when I need such a spell. I should know how to use them.”

The alchemist narrowed his eyes at her without uttering a single comment. Her ears went down under his prolonged gaze.

Finally, he asked, “I understand your desire to learn more, but such magic is dangerous. Can you return life to a pony once it has been taken away?”

“No, I can’t,” she said softly.

“Then do not be in a rush to learn how to take away something that you do not have the power to return.”

Ann slumped down in her chair, unable to meet his eyes.

He continued, “Magic is a tool, like those we use in alchemy. Tools are not good or evil, but they can be used for good or evil purposes. The spells you seek are similar to those types of tools. They are a means to an end. But a spell can be cast quickly and without taking the time to consider the consequences. I will teach you such things in time. You just need more growth and maturity to fully understand the responsibility of the knowledge you seek.”

Seeing the distress she was in, he added, “Do not feel bad. There is no harm in asking, and it was not my intent to rebuke you for the question. I just wanted you to fully understand the weight of the knowledge you desire.

“But perhaps it is time for another lesson in magic, similar to sorting sand.”

She signed. “Not more exercises with a blindfold on…”

“No, not this time. You might trip.”

Her brow furrowed. “Trip? Where am I going?”

“Not far.” He pointed to a shelf. “Take one of those small bags, and go to the stream in the forest behind the house. Use your magic to search the streambed for gold. When the bag is full, return here.”

Her eyes went wide. “Wait a minute. Every month when we go to the money changer, we’re using gold you got from that stream?”

“Well, surely you didn’t believe the rumors that I could conjure it out of lead or iron?” he replied with an uncharacteristic grin.