• Published 4th Oct 2021
  • 1,163 Views, 113 Comments

The Softness Of Her Heart - KingSombraTheTyrantRuler



In S9, After King Sombra's horn was found in the Crystal Empire, the princesses have decided to resurrect him and reform him. The pony to reform him will be none other than... Fluttershy!

  • ...
4
 113
 1,163

Me or her?

Fluttershy's P.O.V:

I didn't know what to do. Twilight was like a sister to me... But I loved Sombra.

When I found him unconscious in the Everfree forest I realized how much he meant to me.

He was more than a friend. And yet, I couldn't just end my friendship with Twilight...

Even if she was- even if she did lie and take Sombra's magic...

But... That was his magic. I remember how painful it was when Tirek drained us of all our magic and I couldn't even fly.

And Twilight lied using Princess Celestia's name. I... I don't know. It's so frustrating!

I let out a small shout. I- Sombra means more to me than Twilight.

But I've known Twilight for longer.

Yes, but... what she did to Sombra is unforgivable. She did it just so that she could study his magic.

For her selfish reasons. I can't leave Sombra. No, he'd feel betrayed. Twilight would feel bad too, but she's got other ponies to lean on.

If I left Sombra, he'd have nopony. He'd be alone.

I give out another scream of frustration. Angel hops to me and gives me a look followed by a few signs.

"I guess you're right Angel. Twilight is a sister to me, but my heart is with Sombra."

....I suppose I should go get Sombra's magic back. And tell Twilight what I've decided.


I nervously knock on the door of the Castle of Friendship. Almost immediately it is opened and I can see Spike.

"Um...Hi Spike...Is Twilight here?"

"She's here, though the state she's in... I'll let you see for yourself," Spike says, letting me in. "She's in the map room."

I make my way there and open the door. Twilight is crying. "Twilight...?" I approach her.

She mumbled something I can't here. She then looks up at me. "Why did you come?"

"I...Sombra...Sombra said-" I can't even get the words out. Seeing her in such a sorry state, I don't have the heart to tell her. But I remember what she did to Sombra. I have to do this for him. "Twilight, Sombra gave me a choice, to either stay with you and leave him, or the other way around. I chose him. I'm sorry, but..."

Twilight sits up. She looks totally broken. "It's fine, I did hurt him after all. Taking his magic away like that without his consent... He may be a villain but he's still a pony. I should have asked..."

I'm about to sympathise with her but remember her crime. I get straight to the point.

"Before I leave, I need you to give me Sombra's magic back."

Twilight levitates a jar over to me and then collapses back into her seat, continuing to cry. I walk to the door and hesitate for a moment but shake my head. I chose Sombra- I- it was my choice. I can't stay to comfort Twilight.


Sombra's P.O.V:

A few days pass. Fluttershy still hasn't returned. Perhaps I was a little too harsh with my words?

No, no, this is a test to see who Fluttershy would choose.

The nurse Candy enters while I am thinking. "Patient Sombra... Here's your dinner."

She isn't stuttering like before and despite the occasional tremble, seems perfectly fine.

“Thank you.” I smiled at her, which seems to slightly increase her trembling. I raise my hooves. “I told you, you got nothing to fear from me.”
My tone was calm rather than irritated.

“I know. It’s just…you kinda have an intimidating aura.” She admitted, her head slightly lowered and it was nothing she could be blamed for.

I suppose my appearance, especially my glowing eyes and blood red horn wouldn't make a pony feel at ease.

“And it wakes a bad memory” She added, to my surprise. “In school, many saw me as a nerd, avoiding me… and even bullying me. They used to make fun of me and- and- ” Here her voice cracked and I sympathised with her.

“I was bullied too for my appearance as a colt; I understand your feelings. And I'm sure, you will find a stallion who appreciates you, just like I found a mare...” It was a painful memory but true nonetheless.

“Thanks…” She smiled weakly. “Actually, Zecora wanted to check on you.” A nod was my reply as the zebra walked in and Candy left to give us some privacy.

“I suppose you are the witch doctor Zecora who I have been hearing about?"

She nods. "I would have said my name; but it seems my potions are gaining fame. Indeed your life was not easy to save; I must say, you are quite brave. You were surrounded by timberwolves and still fought; it seems you were well taught."

After deriving the meanings from her rhymes I answered, "Well, I have never been taught how to fight, rather I just acted on instinct." I attempted to sit up and bowed my head a little. "Thank you Miss Zecora. If it weren't for you, I don't think I'd be here."

She blushes. "Is that not quite a surprise? Thank me not, but the one with a cutie mark of butterflies. She was the one who sought me out and cried by your side for days. The doctors here had tried all of their medicines but not one helped you get out of that state. Surely you do not feel any aches or pains?"

She doesn't end that with a rhyme. "The only ache I feel is that of bedsores," I say.

She laughs and then looks at the clock. "It is half past three, now I must go. Or I fear my potions will overflow."

With that she departs. I sink back onto my pillows and close my eyes.

Not a moment after that, my ears prick up at the sound of the door opening.

I open my eyes, even though I can already tell who it is. "Ah, Fluttershy... You came back."

Her eyes are glossy and I swear that a tear fell from one.

She smiles upon seeing me, and hugs me. "Sombra."

"So, who did you choose?"

She sits up. "I chose you. It was hard to leave Twilight," at this point her tears begin anew "but then I thought of how much pain you must have been in and how she was so selfish."

I gulp. This would have been rather hard for the Element of Kindness herself, choosing between leaving a friend in pain or her housemate in pain.

She wipes her eyes and produces a jar from her bag. The contents of it are dark red and a little black. "I got your magic back."

She hooves me the jar and I smile. I open the lid, and it flies out. The magic flies around the room before circling back to me and going in through my horn.

I give a groan of happiness. My magic is back. It takes all I have not to dance on the spot.

I get off the bed. Nothing hurts. All signs of my injury is gone.

All of my self control is lost as I begin dancing in joy. "My magic's back! My magic's back!"

Fluttershy's P.O.V:

My eyes widen to pinpricks as I'm suddenly levitated into the air. My heart begins racing.

I try to take calming breaths and attempt to move out of Sombra's magic, but that's impossible.

I mentally facehoof.

"S-s-sombra, could you per-perhaps put me back on the ground now?" I say.

But he's so busy dancing and celebrating that my quiet plea can hardly be heard.

I try a little louder, but to no avail.

I begin crying in fear. "S-sombra, please put me down!"

My cries eventually grab Sombra's attention and he puts me down.

His joyful grin turns into an expression of concern as he looks at me. "Are you okay, Fluttershy?"

I shake my head. "N-no Sombra. I'm not. F-first I had to make a hard choice, and n-now..."

"Fluttershy?"

I spit it out and take a deep breath. "Sombra, I've always had a fear of heights. Why do you think I hardly fly, and that when I do, it's not so high?" I wipe a tear away. "When you levi-levitated me into the air, I was so-so scared."

Guilt overtakes him. "I'm so sorry Fluttershy! I didn't even realize I had levitated you! I was just lost in my joy..."

I take a few more breaths, trying to calm myself. He hugs me. "I'm sorry." He continues apologizing.

I eventually manage to calm myself. "I-I forgive you." I stand up. "I- I guess I'll go tell the nurse that you're better now..."

Author's Note:

I was trying to write, but a lot of things came up...

It took giving myself a deadline to write this. I guess I just needed motivation.

Fun fact: Bronycommander did most of the writing for this chapter so go thank him. :raritywink:

This was my first time writing Zecora, and I'm not really great so that's why I got her to leave as soon as possible. :rainbowlaugh:

The next chapter will be in a while since

1) I've got a couple of stories to update, and I need to finish a request.

2) My teachers are giving a test nearly every week.