• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 1,601 Views, 22 Comments

The Legend of Starlight-Book 2: Love at Second Sight - twow443



As a new threat returns to Equestria, the young prince Starlight needs to protect his heart.

  • ...
13
 22
 1,601

Facing the Fact

Chapter 8-Facing the Fact

We held the funeral for Gilda 3 days later. Celestia and Luna were both there as well as everypony from Ponyville and Canterlot. It was quite a big deal because nopony had died recently, as Celestia told me. I was at the funeral, but I couldn't say anything. I didn't feel as if I had a right to. We buried Gilda under the stars.

I woke up about 3 days after the funeral, seeing that I was in my room in Canterlot. Slowly, I got up and dressed myself, brushed my teeth and other morning stuff. I picked up my crown, but hung it on the side of my pants instead on putting it on.

I wandered around the castle for a while, not having any clear goal. I came across Luna in the banquet hall. “You're finally awake, brother.” she said.

“So I did pass out?” I asked.

Luna nodded. “Tia took care of you while I was helping the town. She barely left your side.”

“Thanks, Lu-lu.” I said, smirking. She narrowed her eyes and shot a small beam of magic at me. I dodged it and ran off, laughing. I didn't know that Luna was smiling behind me.

I walked along the ramparts and saw Celestia. As I approached her, she saw me and beckoned me closer, hugging me when I got to her. “I'm so glad you're awake.”

“Thanks sis.” I said. “Why did I pass out?”

“When I allowed you to use your true magic, it drained all of the energy from your body.” she explained. “Your body was running on nothing but pure magic for the last 3 days.”

I nodded but asked, “Let me use it?”

“Star.” Tia said, softly. “You are very strong for an alicorn your age. It's possible you might be stronger then me and your sister. But if you use too much of it at once, you could possibly drain all of your power and kill yourself. I was able to limit your power when you used it so you didn't die. I couldn't keep up so that's why your body ran on magic.”

“Will I ever be able to use all of my powers?” I asked.

My sister nodded. “You asked for my help, so that's why I could help you. I don't have natural control over you The reason you couldn't do it by yourself is because your body is still cursed.” I looked away, thinking.

“Starlight.” Celestia said, not looking me in the eyes. “I'm sorry we couldn't help you.” I looked at her, a questioning look on my face. “We knew that you needed to learn how to fight without us.”

“But I have!” I said. “Didn't I beat Nightmare twice?”

“She was letting you.” Celestia said. “It's a favorite trick of her's. She was testing your strength so she could use that against you.”

I looked away, starting to cry. “Why, what is wrong, Star?” Celestia asked.

“I-I didn't want to kill her.” I said. “I didn't know what to do and I....” I lost it then, crying like a baby.

Celestia drew me closer to her and wrapped me in a sisterly hug. “I know, brother.” We stayed like that until I stopped crying. “That fact that you can shed tears if prove enough that you have won.”

I looked at her. “What do you mean?”

“Nightmare wanted to turn you into a killer.” Celestia explained. “A killer without feeling. One who can slaughter thousands, and feel no regret afterward. I know, because she tried to do that to me.”

I stayed silent. I knew that I would stop anyone that tried to bring harm to Equestria. But what lengths would I have to go to?

“Killing wouldn't be your first choice, right Star?” Tia asked. I nodded. “I want you to know that even though many ponies will be confused for a while, Luna and I are proud of you. And you have beaten Nightmare, she just doesn't know it yet.”

Sitting up there with my big sister and hearing that she was proud of me, it made me feel a lot better.


I spent the next two days learning more about what Celestia and Luna did. Apparently Celestia raised the sun and Luna raised the moon. I was supposed to be the stars, but seeing as they were already up there I was at a loss with THAT. Luna told me just to work on becoming stronger with the Cutie Stamp for when Nightmare returned.

I was by the main door when I saw the guards stop somepony from entering. Walking up I saw that it was Derpy. “It's okay guys.” I said to the guards. “She can come in.” They let Derpy though, whereas she gave me a big hug.

“We've missed you, Starlight!” she said, clearly excited to see me. “Letter for ya!” She reached into her bag and pulled out a letter.

Taking it I said. “Thanks Derpy. Hold on a sec.” I flew into the kitchen and returned. “Here, It's a bag of muffins. Don't eat them all in one day alright?”

“THANK YOU!”, she yelled, then flew out of the castle.

I smiled and took the letter back to my room and opened it.

“Dear Prince Starlight,

We've missed you for a while and were wondering if you would like to come back to Ponyville and hang out with us. We are having a little party and just HAD to invite you. Come meet Pinkie at Sugercube Corner and she'll take you to the party. See you soon!

Twilight Sparkle”


I flew though the air, loving the feeling of the wind in my air. As I flew over Ponyville it seemed kind of.....deserted. I touched down in the square and walked around. “Hmm, what are they up to?” I said. Remembering what the letter had said, I walked over to Sugercube Corner. Going inside, I saw Pinkie asleep on the floor. What?

“Pinkie? Pinkie! Wake up!” I said, shaking her. She yawned and opened her eyes.

“Hey there, Prince.” She yawned, not at all like herself. “About time you got here. Follow me.” She slowly walked back to the square, I followed, worried.

We reached the square and I looked at the stage. “Did you guys ever fix this thing?” I turned around and suddenly there was an explosion of color.

“SURPRISE!!!!!” All of the ponies in Ponyville sprang out and yelled. Balloons were tied, confetti was flying everywhere. It was like the craziest party in the universe. And I was the center of it. My other five friends came up and I saw...two Pinkies?! “Wha...?”

The Pinkie standing by me turned into Twilight. “Phew, I practiced THAT spell for a while!” They all hugged me, and the party truly began.


The party lasted all day. I had so many treats, I think I lost my sweet tooth. Not to mention the all the games and general fun. I. was sitting at Sugercube Corner when dark fell. “Awesome party, Pinkie!”

She jumped up and down happily. “I know right?! This is my best party EVER!”

I hugged her and sat back down. “Party wore me out.” I told the hyper pony. “Totally one of your best parties.”

“Hope you aren't too tired to go for a little flight.” I heard. Turning I saw my cyan colored marefriend.

“Course not.” I hopped up and left the store. The two of us flew off into the sky. Looking down, I saw the town all lit up for the party. “I can't believe that this was all for me.” I said

Rainbow nodded. “We convinced the princess to keep you in Canterlot so we could get it all done. I think it worked out well though.”

I nodded, “It sure did.” We finished our flight by landing on our cloud. Rainbow had pushed it over the town.

I laid down on the cloud and Rainbow landed. Still standing she watched the town for a while. “Starlight, I don't want you to think that I hated you for killing Gilda.” She said. “You tried, we all tried to help her. She was just so corrupted by Nightmare that she let herself be used by her.” She stopped talking for a minute. “I don't want to push you away from me Starlight.”

“I didn't leave because I thought you were mad at me, Dash.” I said, turning over. “I passed out because I tried to infuse my body with stars.” Rainbow smiled at that.

She turned and looked at me. “I do love you, Starlight.” She sat down and nestled into me. “Promise to remember that?”

I gave her a long kiss. “I could never forget that. I promise.” We laid down and watched Pinkie's fireworks explode over the sky. It was a truly beautiful sight. “You do realize that we are going to explain to our friends about us?”

“Let's cross that bridge when when we come to it, kay?” She told me. I laughed and kissed her again, holding her and watching the stars.