• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 1,601 Views, 22 Comments

The Legend of Starlight-Book 2: Love at Second Sight - twow443



As a new threat returns to Equestria, the young prince Starlight needs to protect his heart.

  • ...
13
 22
 1,601

Magical Meltdown


Chapter 5-Magical Meltdown

It had been a week since I had that little “incident” with Gilda, and I hadn't seen her after that. The only reason I knew she was still even in Ponyville was that other ponies I spoke to told me that they had seen her. Personally I didn't want to talk to her or really anypony, so I had spent the last 4 days in Canterlot. Celestia was worried about me, as I found out at breakfast.

“Starlight,” she said. “You haven't left the castle in days. Did something happen in Ponyville?”

“No. I guess I just needed sometime to myself.” I said. I realized that I did feel a lot better.

“Twilight sent me a letter telling me that she was going to cast a special celebration spell.” Celestia said. “She was wondering if you would like to attend it.”

“Sure.” I said. “Can't hurt to check it out.” I finished up and walked over to the window. “I'll see you later.” I opened the window and jumped out. Extending my wings, I flew in the direction of Ponyville.


Everypony had heard about the celebration spell Twilight was going to cast for Starlight, even a certain griffon. Gilda was at Twilight's helping her prepare for it.

“So, the prince is coming back today?” Gilda asked.

“Yep! Spike got a letter from Princess Celestia” Twilight said, bouncing around the room. “Everything's gotta be perfect!”

“So, why are we celebrating this?” The griffon asked, looking around the room.

“It's for beating Nightmare Moon, when he landed here.” Twilight explained. “She could have easily taken us over that day, but he fought her off.” Twilight looked at the spellbook. “Oh, I need to go grab something! Be right back!” The purple unicorn bounded upstairs.

Gilda smiled and walked over to the spellbook that Twilight was reading. “This should make this a fun celebration.” Now the book had been written in pencil, so Gilda erased some of the words and replaced them with other words. She moved away from the book as Twilight came back downstairs.

“Come on Gilda, the prince's almost here!” Twilight picked up the book with her horn and ran outside. Gilda followed, smiling.


As I broke the cloud barrier and flew into Ponyville, I saw that everypony was in the middle of town. Flying over there I saw that someponies had erected a stage and there was a drawing of me on it, holding my sword. As I flew over and landed next to the mayor, everypony let up a cheer for me. I slightly blushed as the mayor started to speak.

“Prince Starlight, we never properly thanked you for stopping Nightmare Moon when you first arrived here.” She said. “So, our very own Twilight Sparkle is going to start our celebration with a spell written for you!”

As everypony cheered, I just saw that all the town was set up like a giant party. “Pinkie Pie's doing” I thought. Looking down, I saw my mane 6 friends and Gilda standing together. I waved at them as Twilight stepped up to the stage.

Bowing she said, “Thank you, for stopping her. This is a spell I found just for you.” She turned around as all the ponies near that area moved back. Her horn glowed as she cast the spell. Tendrils of magic started to wrap together in the middle of the square. The spell was going well.

Suddenly my horn started to glow red and I sensed danger. “Twilight! Stop the spell!” I yelled.

“I can't!” She was struggling to keep her balance. I summoned Stormtide and jumped to the spell area, determined to absorb the magic with the sword. All of a sudden, Twi's horn gave a giant flash of light and the spell exploded.

I was sent flying into the stage. The ponies that were closest to the area were knocked over. Slightly stunned, I looked around. Fortunately there was little to no damage beside the middle of the square. I looked down and saw.....my sisters? “Celestia, Luna, what are you two doing here?” I asked, jumping next to them.

They both looked at me, then I saw that their eyes were glowing red. That can't be good. “Oh, nothing much, Prince of Darkness.”

And that's even worse! I summoned Stormtide and held it in front of me just as they both blasted me with magic. Hitting the ground I yelled, “Major, get everypony out of here! Now!” She started to move everypony in a direction that wasn't by me and my evil sisters. I saw that Twilight had passed out and my friends were trying to wake her up.

I turned just in time to deflect another magical blast. “What's wrong, brother? Why won't you join us?”

“Maybe because you aren't my sisters!” I yelled. I then yelled Rarity's name and tapped into the power of her cutie mark. Creating a big diamond, I slammed it into the side of the dark Celesta’s head, sending her careening into a wall. Dark Luna ran up and bucked Stormtide out of my hand. I rolled under her and covering my hand in a diamond, I punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground.

Dark Celesta shot a levitation spell at me, but I blocked it with a diamond, reflecting the spell toward Dark Luna. As it hit her, I ran by Dark Celestia and cut deep into her side with a dagger sized diamond. She yelled, turned and smacked me with her front hooves, knocking me down. She reared up to slam down on me. I rolled out of the way and jumped up, resummoning Stormtide and slashing her up the flank. A sparkly blue type of blood formed from the wound. I didn't have much time to look as I got blasted in the face with another type of magic.

Hitting the ground I looked at my hand. “This might work.” I thought, switching from Rarity's cutie mark to Pinkie's. I rolled and shot Dark Luna with a firework. It got caught in her mane and rose up in the sky, carrying her with it. “That'll be an interesting display,” I said, just as Dark Celestia picked me up with magic and slammed me into the stage.

I heard Rainbow yell, “I think Twilight's losing her color!” Then I understood. The dark versions of my sisters were pure magic, and they were living off of Twi's magical power. I needed to stop them before they drained Twi completely.

I picked myself up and stood in front of the evil alicorns. “Twilight!” I yelled. My clothes changed from pink to purple and I felt an intense rush of magical energy rush though me. Then I knew what Twilight's cutie mark gave me. Not having time to dwell on it, I summoned Stormtide and rushed at the dark magic. I slammed Dark Celestia in the head with my sword and stabbed Dark Luna in the head. “Go. Back!” I yelled, ripping the sword out. Luna screamed and dissolved into a sparkly substance, rising in the air. I held my arm out and created a shimmering golden spear in my left hand. As Dark Celestia flew up in the air, I pointed and shot the spear at her, hitting her directly in the stomach. She dissolved into the sparkly substance and it joined the other one. The substance suddenly flew toward Twilight and her horn absorbed it, giving her color back.

I ran toward my friends still holding my sword, but my clothes were normal now. Noticing that Gilda wasn't there, I said, “Is she OK?”

Applejack nodded. “She'll be fine, but I think she needs a rest.”

Rarity nodded, “Let's take her back to her house, the poor thing. We need to figure out who sabotaged her so bad!”

“Pinkie, can you tell everypony it's safe now?” I asked. “And tell them that we'll have the party after I find out who did this?”

“Okie-dokie!” Pinkie said, bounding off. I gently picked up Twilight and flew toward her house, the others not far behind.