• Published 9th Sep 2012
  • 3,101 Views, 67 Comments

Bounty Hunters - Jasper77W



Rainbow Dash and Octavia's paths cross and together they form a duo of criminal huntresses.

  • ...
7
 67
 3,101

Chapter 2: Extraction

"Get ready to send me my damn sword." Rainbow Dash whispered into her mic. This contract, no matter how much she'll be paid; simply cannot continue to exist.

"I take it it ain't going well?" Octavia asked.

"No." Rainbow replied, the word a mere twitch on her lips.

"Is there a problem, Miss Dash?" the deep voice asked.

"Yes, there is." Rainbow said. She noticed the faint clicks that swept over the guards- safety's off. "I'm afraid the target is... It's a long story. I cannot take care of this pony in particular."

"Well then, I'm sorry to hear that. Take care of her." the voice said coldly.

"Now." she whispered.

The guards raised their rifles, but was stopped when they heard a cannon go off outside.

A small capsule punched through the thin iron wall of the warehouse, flying through the air and towards Rainbow Dash. Rainbow stepped to her right, and caught the capsule with her right hoof. The momentum carried her a bit, but she managed to apply a firm hold on it.

Pressing a button, the capsule unfolded into a hilt, and then through folding plates, mechanics and a bunch of other stuff, her cleaver was in her hands, the red crystal glowing with energy.

That made the guards more wary, but they fired anyway. Bullets swarmed at her from all sides, and she avoided them all by simply flying up to the ceiling. Now the guards were spraying bullets at her with their hooves jammed to their triggers, even if they didn't know where she was. The bullets easily punctured the weak roof, but none hit their target.

Rainbow heard a loud drone in the distance behind her, which escalated into a constant thud-thud-thud, the sound pounding against her chest.

"Uh-oh. Octavia, pick me up somewhere else. We got ourselves a helo." Rainbow looked behind her at the heavily armed helicopter, buzzing its way towards her.

Rainbow stretched her wings and took off, away from the helicopter, hoping to outrun it. She could easily have done that, but there was too much of a risk of her getting shot while above all the buildings- her only option, to shake it off in the labyrinth of sky-rise buildings in Manehatten. She turned to the right and into a street, her wings beating as hard as they could against the air.

"Sorry, but I'll be a little harder to track right now... Any ideas as to how to get the damn thing off my tail?" Rainbow yelled into the mic as she turned another corner- but the helicopter was still close behind.

"Not at all." Octavia said.

"Thanks for making me feel better."

"You are very welcome."

It was slightly harder to navigate while holding a huge sword, so she pressed the button again, turning it back into a capsule so she could pocket it.

"Following tight." Octavia said, and Rainbow spotted the black car below, weaving through the traffic at a hundred and twenty miles an hour and following her. Exactly why Octavia always drives.

"Left turn." Rainbow said, flexing her wings, feeling the air pass over her feathers.
Somehow her hat was still on- and she preferred it that way.

"Should I open fire?"

"Just don't crash while you do that."

"Don't worry about me, I’ll be fine."

"No, it’s just that the car is expensive. And I don't want to explain to the repair mare why I have a turret in the back of it."

"I hate you." Octavia opened the top hatch of the car, and an automatic turret emerged.
They simply tuned that in because they can and because it looked cool, but they never thought about using it- despite buying almost two thousand rounds for it. "Heat seeking on."

"Great- Wait, you have the right target locked on, don't you?" Rainbow swished round another corner.

"Don't worry- it's the helo." Octavia sighed, and flicked the fire button.

The turret started whirring, the gatling gun beginning to spin, all the while trained on the helicopter.

A series of bullets fired off, and on its way to the helicopter hit a number of things- hanging advertisements, street lights, trees... Only a handful managed to actually hit the helicopter.

"These guys are CRAZY!" Rainbow yelled, tumble-turning to the right, allowing a missile to fly right past her and explode into a building.

"You can't say much." Octavia said.

"Shut up."

Now Rainbow had to make regular turns just to avoid getting hit.

"No. Bucking. Way." she muttered as something buzzed into view in the intersection in front of her- another helicopter.

"What the buck? How much money do these guys have?" Octavia jerked the steering wheel, avoiding a head-on collision with a taxi.

"Right turn." Rainbow said, flying to the right. Now with two helicopters behind her, she really didn't know what to expect next.

"Hey, Octavia?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm gonna try something crazy-"

"Not unexpected."

"Turn off the turret." Rainbow ordered.

"WHAT!?" that was obviously unexpected.

"Turn off the turret." Rainbow repeated calmly.

"You sure you shouldn't be in mental hospital right now? Like, right now-right now."

"No." Rainbow shook her head to herself. "Not sure at all. Just turn the damn thing off."

"Ok." a click was heard through the mic. "Done."

"And, don't in any way try to damage any of the helicopters."

"Is this some kind of betrayal I didn't quite catch up on?"

"No." Rainbow said, then leaned back, spreading her wings wide. They caught the wind, and she could feel herself slow down significantly. The helicopter was right behind her now, inches away. She adjusted her wings, and fell back and past the helicopter. Air pressure changed as she flew right under the rotors of the first helicopter, her ears popping. She took out the capsule, activating the blade.

The second helicopter was right in front of her now, the pilot with a surprised yet horrified expression on his face.

Slamming the cleaver through the windshield, the tip going through the pilot; Rainbow Dash landed on the windshield. With a furious slash, she cut the windshield in half, tossing the body of the pilot out into the streets of Manehatten. She climbed in, slightly annoyed that the seat was soaked in blood and that she had no windshield. Not anypony else's fault- she was just annoyed.

"Now... How do I fly a helicopter?"

"Wow. Good job." Octavia remarked.

"Joystick, eh... Shouldn't be too hard. What's this button...?" Rainbow pressed the little orange button on the joystick, and missiles screamed out of their launchers, slamming into the helicopter in front of her.

"Good job." Octavia said again.

"That... Was planned." Rainbow said, yanking the joystick so the machine turned left.

"More targets... How many are there?" Octavia stared incredulously at the radar in the car.

"Target practice." Rainbow said grimly, searching her own radar. "Found ya."

The first one emerged round the corner, but went spinning out of control as Rainbow put a missile in its tail.

The second was right behind her, firing practically everything. Rainbow flinched as she dodged another missile, silently apologizing to whichever pony that would get hit instead of her.

She yanked the joystick, and the next thing anypony knew she was flying the helicopter backwards, raining the enemy with bullets. The other helicopter was almost ripped to shreds. Yanking the joystick again, she flew facing the correct direction.

"Oops. Too close." she muttered as a few nearby windows shattered because of her flying so close.

"I think we may have a jet fighter in the area..." Octavia said, not quite sure if her radar was performing correctly.

"Yeah. Great. Just, great." Rainbow sighed- she could hear it screaming somewhere in the distance already.

It was up ahead, a sonic bubble blazing on its nose. Rainbow held down all the triggers she could find, the helicopter's guns and missile launchers ablaze and hissing. But before any of those could hit, the plane curved up and left a homing missile behind it.

"Shuck." Rainbow said, tucking the cleaver away and jumping out of the helicopter just before the missile hit. She heard the explosion rumble behind her, and felt the heat of it through her coat and on her back. She tried stretching her wings out and flying away, but after a brief tearing sensation her left wing went numb, and no more sensations came from it. Her mane whipped about her as she sailed through the air. Suddenly she was consumed by smoke and flames that erupted behind her, but then the ashes stopped and her momentum kept her going- she flew out of the cloud of flaming debris, tumbling through the air, the world being simple smudges of color around her.

She hit glass, pieces of the translucent solid flying all around her. Hitting carpeted floor and skidding across a long room, she rolled and got to her hooves. She still couldn't feel her wings, although there was the barest hint of sharp pain on her back. She galloped through the room.

Windows shattered as another helicopter flied alongside her outside- she was on the very side of a building, running parallel to a glass wall that was shattering around her as the copter sprayed her with bullets. There were startled ponies that dropped to the ground, covering their heads and not knowing what to do.

A bullet struck a nearby desk, sending newspapers into the air. Rainbow plowed through them, batting floating pieces of shredded paper away with her hooves. There was another window up ahead- and she had no option but to jump.

There was a table nearby. She grabbed its corner, ripped a leg off and used it to smash through the window.

Taking off with a spin, she tossed the wooden leg at the helicopter's rotors. It shattered against the spinning blades, shards flying everywhere. The helicopter would've had time to recover, should it have enough space. Sadly, it didn't.

Its tail swung around, the rotors on the back slicing through the building Rainbow just jumped out of. It snapped, and the rest of the copter went down, slammed into the streets and erupted into a fireball.

Rainbow was still in the air, falling.

There was a steady but slow cluckity-cluck down below, and sounded like something passing really fast. She couldn't make out what it was because she was still spinning with nothing to stop her.

Her shoulder cracked against something hard- it sounded hollow, so must be a thin roof. It barely gave way, and she made a dent in it. Her shoulder felt odd, out of place, and her ears were ringing. She could feel blood trickling down her cheek.

Realizing she was still holding onto something, she looked down at her hat in her hooves. Glad that at least she had something, she put it on to conceal the wound on her forehead. She felt a metal canister dig into her side in her coat pocket- good to know she still had her weapon.

She placed a hoof on her disjointed shoulder, then shoved it in- letting out a cry of pain. It clicked back into place, and tears swarmed into her eyes. At least it felt normal again.

She stood up, but the world was still passing by her, and she fell back down again, this time landing on her left wing. Pain rippled down her body as she realized it had been shredded by debris from the explosion, and was now a bloody stump on her back.

Swearing and cursing, she got to her hooves. Looking around, she realized she was on a train, but didn't quite hear all the sound since her ears rung as if someone set off a flash bang right next to her head. Swiping away the tears in her eyes with the back of her hoof, she ignored the pain all over her body and pulled out the cleaver.

A faint roar was heard- the jet fighter was coming back.

"Come on... You son of a mule." She muttered, the cleaver unfolding in her hooves, crystal gleaming.

There was a loud boom as the fighter entered sonic speed, heading straight for her with all guns blazing. Rainbow crouched down a bit, making herself a smaller target. She shuddered as she looked around her- bullets were landing everywhere, some even shredded her coat. They ripped through the roof of the carriage, and Rainbow could hear the passengers' screaming below.

The wind was refreshing- and was also drying up the blood on her wound. She liked that.

Now flying over the train, Rainbow saw the plane load a missile into its launcher, the little grey warhead popping up in one of the sockets. Just waiting for it to get closer....

Smoke exploded out of the socket as the missile launched. Rainbow swung her blade in a wide arc- something she tested, but not in the field- until now. She swung it so fast that it temporarily entered sonic speed, and because of the movement of the arch and the wielder, a rainbow-colored sonic bubble blasted outwards like a shield of energy- it impacted the missile, setting it off meters away from the plane itself. It disappeared behind a wall of ash and flame, then what remained of the plane emerged, diving down into the carriages toward the back of the train.

There was another fireball as it nose-dived into the train- should it still have a nose- and the entire bridge that the train ran on shook violently. Rainbow was taken off her hooves, and was tumbling down the length of the carriage. Managing to stab the cleaver into the roof didn't help much as the wind continued to drag her down. For this particular scenario she hated how she sharpened the blade so much- it sliced through the sheet of metal like air. Miraculously she still stopped right before falling off, dangling at the end of a flaming carriage.

She hauled herself up onto the roof again, since being in the carriage would be awkward with all the normal ponies and especially because she would feel trapped.

"Rainbow! Reply if you're still alive." Octavia's voice came through the mic.

"Sorry to disappoint you." Rainbow replied grimly.

"Thought you'd be." Octavia said, completely ignoring what Rainbow said. "Still tracking you. Right under ya."

"Great." Rainbow muttered, hearing the rotors of helicopters again.

"We got two helos from either side."

"Yeah, no crap." Rainbow said, gripping the cleaver and getting up.

This time she didn't get to see any of the choppers- they must've been flying parallel to the train on the side streets- firing missiles at the bridge and train every time there was a gap between the buildings. Rainbow quickly got down, as all the explosions could knock her off any moment. Looking back, she realized they were trying to destroy the bridge- and the train.

"These buckers are crazy." she repeated- this time she meant it more than anything.

Retracting the cleaver, she tucked it away and started galloping for the front of the train.

The sound of rubber tires grinding on concrete came through the mic.

"What the hay?" Octavia yelled, yanking the steering wheel left as another stray missile flipped a civilian car. The supports of the bridge weren't exactly wide, and missiles that missed were slamming into the cars underneath the bridge. A lot of them were pulling onto other streets now, the drivers all wearing horrified expressions.

A missile hit a support column, knocking it into pieces immediately. One of those pieces tumbled down and slammed into the front-right of the black car, sending it spinning out of control.

Octavia had her hoof jammed on the accelerator, but now it was pressing firmly on the breaks. The car spun one more revolution, then Octavia shifted the gear to reverse.

Weaving her way through the abandoned cars backwards, she watched the collapsing point of the bridge follow her, slowly gaining. She couldn't see beyond that point, since there was just concrete and metal chunks falling all over the place. Something hit the back window, and Octavia swerved the car back around, facing forward. Now knowing there was a collapsing bridge right behind her, she was a lot more concentrated on surviving. She couldn't turn into side streets because of her speed- if she tried, she'll just end up with a black and silver metal pancake against a wall with her blood leaking out of it.

The bridge will be ending soon, joining up to a ramp leading down to the ground. The road below twisted to the right then back, continuing alongside the railway tracks.

"Ready to catch me?" Rainbow asked.

"Yep." Octavia said, the red dot that is Rainbow Dash on her GPS just behind her current location. "I'll put the turret away."

"Crap. Gonna jump again." Rainbow sighed as the ramp approached.

She spotted the black car turn into the street to the right, speeding alongside the train.

"Come on Rainbow! You can do it!" Octavia waved a hoof, winding down the side window.

Rainbow took a deep breath, timed the jump, and leaped.

Her legs stretched out and readied for impact. She cursed herself, since this jump would cost them a lot extra in car repairs. She felt the metal make contact with her hooves, and coiled her legs, countering her descent. It also dented the roof.

Relieved that she made the jump, she gave a knock on the roof. A moment later Octavia opened the top hatch, and pulled Rainbow Dash in before there was another second wasted- the helicopters were looking for them right now.

"Think we can blend into the traffic?" Rainbow asked.

Octavia looked at the roof, which was caved in; and then at the smashed and dented back window. "Not a chance."

"That sucks."

Octavia looked in the rear view mirror. "Our flies are back."

Rainbow grunted. "I'll take the damn turret, thank you very much." she climbed to the back, sat down on the turret(which could be manually operated if they wanted it to be) gunner seat, and swung it out into the open, the barrels already spinning again.

"Safety's off." Octavia flicked a switch, and Rainbow felt the trigger loosen from its tense safe state.

Streams of light flew out of the rotating barrels with Rainbow holding down the trigger. The first few clipped one of the helicopters, ripping through its side. It wobbled but didn't go down. That's what Rainbow hated about gatling guns- they don't have sights to aim with.

Relying on instinct, she managed to shoot the helicopter's rotor blades. They broke away, spinning through the air. One piece was flung to the tail, and destroyed the back rotors. The remains of the helicopter tumbled down into the street behind them, still rolling; covered in fire. It hit an unlucky car, and bounced high up into the air, before falling back down and going up in a huge fireball.

"Are they crazy- or are we crazy?" Rainbow asked.

"Just you."

"Thought so." she jammed down the trigger again. But before the bullets could hit the helicopter, missiles slammed into its side, and it vanished behind a thick wall of flame with chunks of everything flying out of it. Three jet fighters flew past, grey and easily distinguishable.

Military aircraft.

Author's Note:

-This chapter's name was originally 'Chase' in the draft copy. That name was then reserved for something else.

-Screw Logic 01: Rainbow caught her cleaver canister despite it travelling at the speed of a cannon ball. This, of course; would probably break her arm even if 1. she was able to disperse its kinetic energy as described in the story, and 2. if she managed to hold onto it. If she could do what she did in the story, theoretically she should also be able to catch a rocket and throw it back.

-Rainbow Dash's sword actually wasn't inspired by anything in particular, contrary to popular belief.