• Published 5th Sep 2021
  • 515 Views, 16 Comments

Warhorses - The Elements of Chivalry - ThePaladinNonBrony



A Non-Brony pens a story of Twilight Sparkle rescuing a lost tribe of Equestrian Knights, but their traditions and methods of defending Equestria clashes with the Mane Six and modern Equestrian society.

  • ...
0
 16
 515

Chapter 1 : Many Moons Ago

"Twilight? Are you with us?"

Twilight's eyes cleared, sharpening her view of the battle map, its enchanted textile projecting shimmering miniature magic constructs of various earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi, armed to the teeth for what they would be facing. She felt her better instincts keeping her from taking just another discouraging look at the sheer number and size of the images depicting the enemy. They had already done enough of that.

"I'm fine. I think. No, I'm thinking we should look over formations again." Twilight's nervous wide grin contrasted sharply against the groans of discontent from around the table.

"Not again, Twilight. You said it yourself. We're ready as we'll ever be. All that's left is to hold the line when the time comes." The voice came from a stern-looking stallion of silver coat and and black mane. Damascus Steel, her field marshal. She both had never seen him before, yet had known him for years. "We'll ride into through the gates of the underworld. And either we put the enemy through there, or we'll take them with us, with pride."

Twilight's confusion belied the contented smile that graced her face. Around her were friends she never met before, yet knew as well as her own family "Tomorrow then."

KLANG! KLANG! The sentry bells called for alarm. "Manticores! Manticores advancing on the forward ramparts!" came a cry from outside.

"We ride, gentlecolts! We ride the edge of eternity, and sharpen our blades upon it!" Damascus Steel reached a hoof to his saddle, withdrawing a gleaming steel hoofsword from its sheath. He was joined by every other knight at the table, as they joined their weapons in a collective salute and charged out the tent. Whisked along without moving, Twilight thought she'd be caught up in their advance. But she in the next instant before she would have been blown out the tent flaps along with the charging warriors, she found herself face to face with a younger face remarkably like that of Damascus'.

"...Who are you? Please. Help us. Get us home! GET US HOME!"

Twilight sprang awake with such force she found herself in flight halfway to the ceiling, now in her own bedchamber at the castle.

~

(Later)

There was something new in the air. But to Spike the dragon, there was something familiar. Clear weather in the Ponyville area delivered softly warm sunlight through the stained glass windows and danced comfortable warmth across Spike's scales. No major disasters or monster attacks meant a nice quiet and even bird-song-y atmosphere to mingle with the friendly chatter of the daily goings-on. Heck, he was so ahead of his usual chores and duties that he was even able to make room for a quick comic break.

"Ahh, Excelsior..." he sighed contentedly as he closed the latest issue of Equestria's Greatest Heroes, #616. "Okay, hallways buffed, kitchen restocked, and incoming scrolls to look through." He looked to the basket of scrolls he gathered from the Castle of Friendship's message dropoff room. "Internal Revenue of Equestria. Pfft. That's gonna be a joy to sift through."

Messages like this had been part of the regular stream of messages ever since Twilight Sparkle had gone from student to magic master to defender of the realm and finally to Princess. Power, position, paperwork. Lots and lots of paperwork. As tedious as it could get, there was something comforting to know that he was the faithful assistant, the buffer between his adoptive sister and death by red tape.

Wait. Twilight. He hadn't spoken to her since the morning, and she was already deep in work when he woke up.

~

(Earlier that morning)

"Morning, Twilight," Spike yawned as he stretched and popped drowsy joints in his spiny back.

"Uh-hm, mernin'," she mumbled back.

He whipped up a quick breakfast of muffins quickly rewarmed with a quick puff of his fire breath and some of the extremely light caffeinated coffee Twilight had been forcing herself to drink these past few months.

"Gonna get a jump on work so I can make time for the new comics I bought today," he said.

"Yeah, thassagood-hmmm..." she said, continuing to pore over three books at once.

~

"Uh oh."

He should've KNOWN it was too quiet. The calm before the storm! Maybe things had been too good lately?

"All right, sidekick, move it!" He rushed halfway down the hall before he remembered the basket of scrolls. "C'mon, boring legal papers, we got a job to do!" Documents in tow, he rushed down the hall. Of course, he had to come to this realization a long way from the castle's library.

He had a situation to defuse. Tartarus or high water, he was NOT going to let it escalate into another thing on the level of Smarty-Pants riot.

~

The library was surprisingly in order. And Twilight didn't have the bug-eyed, hair-frayed, slasher-smile look he was fearing. No, in fact, she was leaning back on one of the couches. Her magic was humming away, levitating a book above her and rippling through the pages as her eyes did a slow back and forth. An empty, crumb-speckled plate and an empty cup resting on her worktable even said she had eaten the earlier breakfast.

"Oh hey, Spike. Don't worry, I got a full night's sleep." Her voice was perfectly even keeled too. Perfectly lucid, but it carried this edge of determination.

"So...no meltdown?" Spike started to hide the oversized butterfly net behind his back.

"No. No meltdown. Tell me, Spike. How many guys have you seen lately?"

"...Okay, I'm gonna give you about five seconds before you realize how that could sound--"

"YIPE!" the book flipped through the air before Twilight caught it in her hooves. "I-I-mean..." She sighed. "Sorry, Spike. I've been distracted for hours. It was something I noticed when going through that census report that arrived a few days ago."

"You mean the Ponyville role call?" Spike laughed. "That's basically the plain way of calling it."

"How many stallions and colts have you seen in Ponyville?"

"...I mean there's more than a few. I don't get what you're looking for me to say."

"But there's a LOT more mares and fillies, right? Like...a LOT more. And the bigger city populations get, the gap gets even wider." As Twilight spoke, reams of papers, statistic sheets filed by, levitated by Twilight's magic.

"...Uh...huh?"

"And I started to look back at earlier census reports. Years back. And you know something? I've studied genetic models and how populations get affected, disasters, birth rates, all that. The pattern only gets way more noticeable. It's like something happened to Equestria's stallions and colts a long time ago, and we're only now starting to recover from the LOSS of a lot of them."

"So you're saying...something happened to the guys in Equestria. How long ago?"

"...It would probably have been about a thousand years ago." Twilight turned from the spreadsheets and graphs to Spike with a worried glance.

"Wait, a thousand years ago as in when all that crazy magical doomsday stuff was going on when the Princesses were first ruling Equestria?"

"Exactly, Spike. And looking at what could've done this during that time..." Twilight's voice trailed off.

"Twilight, spit it out!"

"The missing generation of males in Equestria would've been anyone that qualified to serve if the Princesses called together an army."

"...Like, an entire army just gone all at once?" Spike started to feel a weight drop in his stomach.

"And not one Equestrian history book talks about it. Not one." Twilight gestured to the ENTIRE library spanning around them.

"What happened to them then?" Spike dreaded the answer as soon as the question was asked.

"I don't know. But I think I know two long-lived Alicorns who probably do know." Within seconds, her horn lit up and levitated her saddlebags and several choice books and documents into her pack. "Put a hold on everything else, Spike. We're headed to Canterlot."

"Why?" Spike's question made Twilight stop before the door. "I mean if we could help them, sure. But we learned time travel is a MESS. And besides, if they're gone, they're gone."

"Exactly. But I have a strange feeling. They're ALIVE, Spike. And I think the Princesses need to know it."