• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 5,149 Views, 169 Comments

Camaraderie - walk-in closet brony



"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers." - Francois Fenelon

  • ...
9
 169
 5,149

Chapter 5

Only the dead have seen the end of the war.

-George Santayana

Canterlot Castle 1:04 PM

General Taylor stood at a table eyeing battle maps and strategic plans accompanied by both princesses and major Ingram. They'd been perceiving the best battle plan for the arrival of the humans since Taylor and Ingram had come here.

"I think if I divert the U.S. forces to Baltimare here, they should be able to make the rendezvous here in a couple of days." Said Taylor, pointing to various positions on a map.

"They'll need the support of the other nations. If I remember correctly, Baltimare is currently occupied by changeling forces." Noted Ingram.

Celestia took this small gap of silence to provide input.

"I concur commander. That would be a brash move on your part Taylor. The changeling armies stationed there are many. It would be foolish to act as such. We should wait for the others to arrive. Then we'll discuss-"

Celestia was interrupted by the crackle of the large field radio next to Taylor. Raising a finger to halt the conversation, Taylor picked up the receiver and answered.

"Ross? I thought I was gonna get that sitrep at 5:00?" He said.

Ross' voice was inaudible to the rest as they looked on in interest.

"WHAT?"

"How many- how many attacked?"

"I see. Casualty report?" He asked in a depressed voice.

Upon hearing this, Twilight, who was on the other side of the room viewing documents and battle plans raced over to the table to find out what happened to her brother's unit. Twilight was a smart pony. She knew that the human's communication device could only speak through her brother's army and the only other radio located here. That's why every time she saw Taylor going for the radio she stood nearby, listening in for any news on that days events.

"That's, that's terrible news. I'll inform the others immediately. Taylor out."

Hanging up the radio receiver, Taylor turned toward them with a grim look.

"Ponyville was attacked today at noon. The defenses held, but there were quite a few casualties."

The gasps that followed ushered in a deafening period of silence. Taylor resumed shortly afterword.

"They're recovering from the battle and have sent out scouts to locate the changeling camp nearby."

Twilight couldn't stay quiet for much longer. This was her brother he was talking about.

"My brother! What about him? Is he okay?" She screamed frantically.

"Relax kid, he's alright. They just got roughed up a bit, that's all." He said.

They didn't know the half of it.

__________________________________________________________________

Ponyville, Equestria 3:28 PM

Ross and Shining Armor had just finished debriefing the scouts after their trip into the Everfree forest. They'd come back with remarkable news.

"So your tellin' me, that you two not only located the changeling camp, but also have confirmed sightings of their queen?" Asked Ross.

The human and the pony nodded vigorously. There was a pause, then Shining Armor spoke up.

"Interesting. Yeah, it could work."

"What could work?" Asked Ross.

"I know this sounds crazy, but I advise getting together all able-bodied soldiers, marching them into the forest under cover of darkness tonight, and assaulting their camp." Said Shining Armor.

Ross was quick to reply.

"No, I get where your goin' with this. We assemble everyone that isn't wounded and head out tonight and strike their camp hard and fast. It's ingenious! They wont even see it coming." Said Ross with a proud grin.

"Good. I'll organize my troops while you do the same with yours. We'll meet back here for briefing at 8:00, just after it gets dark."

"Great, lets hop to it." Said Ross.

The two left the small shop they were using as a command post and began thinking of ways to raise the morale of their already battered soldiers.

Captain Ross stood near the bulk of where his men had gathered after the battle. Most had just plopped down where they were and sat there. Others, like the ones he was about to address, regrouped in the middle of town to get their wounds dressed and to find friends they couldn't locate after the fight.

"Alright, everyone gather 'round!" Ordered Ross.

In compliance, the tired, beaten marines formed a sloppy circle around their captain.

"The scouts we sent out a few hours ago indicate a large changeling camp south east from the edge of town. Tonight, while they're recuperating from today's attack, we'll charge into the camp and kill as many of 'em as we can in hopes of routing the sons-of-bitches."

Ross' plan was met with a volley of groans and disagreements.

"Are you kiddin' me?"

"We just fought our asses off and now this?"

"Man, this some 'ol bullshit."

"Look, I know. But we cant be sure they wont come at us again tomorrow. Who knows, they might even have a larger force. You all know we cant withstand an attack like that again in our current condition!" Argued Ross.

Sergeant Avery stood up and faced the troops.

"Skipper's right. If we can just give it our all one more time, I doubt we'll have to do any real fighting any time soon."

He too was met with disapproval.

"Your up for this too sarge?"

"Jeez now I know they're trying to kill me."

Ross could easily see his troops slipping through his fingers.

"I know this is a lot to ask of you right now, but we also have confirmations that the queen is there too. Maybe, just maybe, in the chaos we can kill the bitch and end this war tonight."

All was quiet for a moment while the marines contemplated their commanders proposition.

The troops sighed and grumbled their approval.

"Whatever you say cap."

"Alright I guess."

"Fine. As long as I get dibs on killin' the queen."

Ross nodded and smiled at Avery, reminding himself to thank his friend later for the assistance.

"Great. We're moving out at 2000 hours. Meet at the CP for briefing. Hoorah?"

"Hoorah!"

The marines replied less affectionately this time, fearing the battle to come.

_____________________________________________________________

Everfree Forest 3:30 PM

The bustling changeling camp was in chaos after the retreat from the field that day. The 2nd army was in shambles and they hadn't even bothered to retrieve the dead and wounded from the battle. The changelings were too busy running head over hooves into the forest. Meanwhile in Chrysalis' tent, three terrified changeling generals sat, poised to meet their queen bearing the horrible news that would surely displease her.

"You three, disappoint me." She said, pausing in the middle of her sentence to provide emphasis.

"I- We humbly apologize for the error we've made your highness. It, it wont happen again." Said of the generals.

Chrysalis ceased her pacing and stared malevolently at the speaker.

"No. No it wont."

In a sudden green flash, the apologetic changeling general was no more. A sifting pile of ash was all that remained in his place.

"Does anyone else have anything to say?" She asked.

The generals shook their heads earnestly.

"Good. I'm giving you two idiots another chance to take command of our armed forces. Most likely the Equestrians will counterattack sometime soon and I don't wish to be here when they do. Therefore, I'm moving deep into changeling territory to direct the rest of our armies elsewhere while you two finish here." She said as she began to leave.

Chrysalis did a double-take and spoke coldly before she departed.

"Don't fail me again."

_________________________________________________________

Ponyville, Equestria 8:01 PM

Shining Armor and captain Ross had gathered whatever was left of their fighting force and began briefing them on the mission ahead. Though tired and reluctant, both armies were ready to finish the job.

"We move out soon. Pack lightly. Nothing that makes noise." Informed Ross.

"I'll need a few Pegasus guards to take to the skies and down any stragglers that try to fly off. Any volunteers?" Asked Shining Armor.

Slowly, hooves were raised in the air followed by several verbal confirmations.

"I'll do it."

"Ah, what the hay. I'll go."

"I'm in."

Shining Armor grinned proudly. His troops were ready to end it while Ross' men weren't as enthusiastic.

Then again, who gets enthusiastic about war? Shining Armor thought to himself.

"Alright. That's it then. We're ready." Said Shining Armor.

"Lets move out people!" Ross ordered.

The marines and ponies grumbled silently to themselves in despair, unaware of whether they were coming back or not.

____________________________________________________________

Canterlot Castle 8:05 PM

Applejack wandered the courtyard of the castle's training yard, passing by the new recruits. One of the younger soldiers, a Pegasus, was swaying his lance back and forth, obviously having trouble with it.

"How're you gonna stop a changeling swingin' yer lance 'round like that?" She asked, walking over to help the young guard pony.

"Oh! Sorry Lt. Applejack! I'm actually just getting used to it. I'm practicing to get better seeing as though they're gonna ship me off tomorrow as a replacement for captain Shining Armor! It's a real honor y' know? Did you hear about the skirmish they got in with the changelings? I heard those humans were there but hardly did anything." He said, lazily trying to stab the target dummy.

"Ah guess. Ah haven't even seen a human yet other than the general and that Ingram." Applejack said.

"Me neither, but sergeant Ironhoof says humans are stuck up hooligans that don't know the first thing about fighting. Between you and me, I believe every word of it. Judging from the looks of those two humans in there, they don't look so tough either." He explained.

The guard pony in training lifted his lance again and speared the hoof of the dummy.

"Here, let me help ya there." Applejack said.

She straightened out his form and bent him into a proper fighting position.

"Now try."

The pony lunged forward and pierced the dummy right through the head and upon withdrawing his lance, removed the head in one swift tug.

"Wow! Thanks lieutenant!" He said.

"Heh, just call me Applejack."

"Yes ma'am."

"Whats yer name kid?" Applejack inquired.

"Sunny Breeze ma'am!"

"Well carry on then Sunny Breeze."

"Yes ma- Oh jeez. Watch out, captain's coming!"

The soldier tensed into attention, looking forward with his chin up.

Applejack turned around to get a look at this "captain" and recognized a distinct characteristic immediately.

The rainbow mane.

"Rainbow?"

"Applejack?"

Rainbow Dash stood, fully armed and armored in complete battle dress.

"What in tarnation are ya doin' in that armor Rainbow Dash?" The cow-pony asked.

"That's captain Rainbow Dash to you lieutenant!" She said with a smirk.

"Huh?"

"Didn't you hear? Princess Luna assigned me my own platoon of Pegasi to command!" She said, slightly hovering off the ground and doing a joyous back-flip.

"Gee Rainbow, are ya sure yer ready fer such a big responsibility?"

"Ha, what do you mean? I'm beaming with responsibility!" She said with that same cocky smirk of her's.

"Ah, I see you've met Pvt. Sunny Breeze. Private, show our friend here your changeling stopping capabilities!"

"Yes ma'am!"

Sunny Breeze reared back and stuck the headless dummy with his lance in the heart.

A direct hit.

"See? I'm training 'em just fine!" Said Rainbow Dash.

"Actually ma'am, it was Lt. Applejack that-"

"That's great kid. Anyway, I've got some important buisness to take care of so, bye!" She said taking off, leaving only a rainbow trail.

"Sorry about the captain lieutenant. She can be a bit brash at times." Said Sunny Breeze.

"Nah, that's alright. One day her pride is gonna creep up and bite her on the flank. I'll just be on mah way now. You keep practicin' ya hear?"

"Yes ma'am!" Replied Sunny Breeze.

As Sunny Breeze continued to strike the dummy, further maiming it after her teaching, Applejack walked off into a nearby corridor and began to think.

She thought about the farm.

She thought about her family.

She thought about her friends.

She thought about her chance of survival in this Celestia-damned war.

___________________________________________________________

Ponyville, Equestria near the Everfree forest 11:30 PM

Captain Ross and Shining Armor led their forces along a small gully leading into the forest, with the two scouts up front.

"Harrington, your sure it's this way?" Ross whispered.

"Positive." He replied.

The jet-black forest gave the humans and ponies no advantage as they noisily brushed past the flora that surrounded them. The only fail-safe to make sure they weren't going in circles were the Pegasi flying above.

"Soft Serve, you see anything?" Shining Armor asked the hovering Pegasus.

"Not yet sir- wait. Yeah, that's definitely a changeling camp up ahead. See the campfires?" She asked in a hushed voice.

"Uh-huh. Ross, you ready?" Asked Shining Armor.

"Yeah. Harding, take the left."

"Aye skip."

"Swift Wind, I need you to lead some troops around the right." Ordered Ross.

Swift Wind looked up, surprised to see the human directly addressing her.

"I, uh.. yes sir." She reluctantly complied, not used to having Ross give her an order.

The small army circled the front of the camp and prepared to sneak in, ready to kill as many as they could.

"Alright, lets roll." Said Ross.

The troops slipped in quietly, checking the tents and trenches but something was wrong. Terribly wrong.

There was no one here.

"What? Why would they just up and leave?" Asked Cpl. Rivera.

"Yeah, this just doesn't make any-"

Pvt. Fields was hit in the back with a plasma burst and promptly fell to the ground.

"Attack!" Yelled a hidden changeling officer.

The changelings were expecting a counterattack. They had known all along.

"What the fuck?"

"Oh shit!"

The marines and ponies were startled at the sight of the remaining changelings charging out from the treeline.

"Open fire!" Yelled Ross.

The following battle that ensued couldn't even be called a proper battle. It was a blind scuffle in the dark. Changeling, pony, and human alike stumbled around in the night, the gruesome close combat illuminated by the small campfires.

"They're everywhere!" screamed a frantic pony.

"Just keep fighting!" Shouted Shining Armor.

Ross and Avery were back to back, Ross armed with his combat knife and Avery swinging the butt of his gun at the moving entities in front of him.

"Oh shit one of them's got my leg!" Avery tripped on the changeling gnawing at his ankle and fell to the ground.

Ross scrambled over and stabbed the changeling repeatedly until it's grip had loosened on his friend.

"Jesus Christ that was close!" Yelled Avery.

"Yea-"

Ross was tackled by two more changelings and began wildly swinging his knife.

"Anytime you want to pitch in Rich would be great!" Yelled Ross.

"Kinda busy here!"

Avery was on the ground again, this time on his stomach, trying desperately to reach the M9 in his holster to kill the changeling on him.

In an instant, the pressure on Ross was lifted and he could hear numerous bones breaking and heads splitting. Looking up, he expected to see Avery or Shining Armor but instead caught the cold, hard look on Pvt. Yellow Star's faintly illuminated visage. Ross' face was shoved into the ground as an immense force impacted the back of his head.

Then it all went black.

_____________________________________________________________

Ponyville, Equestria 8:46 AM

Ross awoke the next day with a terrible headache.

Uh, I hope I haven't been hitting the sauce again. He thought glumly to himself.

Ross came to inside the Ponyville hospital being treated by a mare with crimson fur. She seemed to notice him sit up as she had prepared a sedative if need be. She looked tired, obviously she hadn't gotten any sleep lately.

Probably been treating the wounded all night. Oh shit, the attack!

Ross sat up but was quickly pushed down by her hooves and a pair of... hands?

Sergeant Avery.

"Holy shit, Richard! What happened last night? Did we chase the bastards off?" He asked frantically.

"Heh, calm down tiger. Yeah we sent 'em runnin'. Boy they might not be able to fight well but they sure can run. We tried to pursue but they hauled ass outta there before we could gather up our weapons." He explained.

The nurse left, leaving Avery and Ross alone in a room full of dying soldiers.

"Good. Damn, my head hurts." Ross said, touching the area where it pained the most.

"Ow, fuck!" He cursed.

"Easy champ. You took quite a hit back there. Good thing that Yellow Star kid was there to help."

"Who?"

"The pony that saved your hide last night. While I was gettin' my ass handed to me on the ground that kid came over and kicked the shit out o' the changelings that had gotten a hold of you." Avery said.

"Jeez, remind me to put that kid in for a medal! So, who'd we lose last night?" Ross asked, leaning his head back.

The nurse had returned with gauze pads seeing as though the wound on Ross' head had reopened.

"Well, we lost a couple of guys, not as much as yesterday but still quite a few. Uh, let me think. There's Gutierrez, Fields, Carter, oh and Campo died a few hours ago from his wounds. Johnson and Fitzgerald bit it too. That's about it. We didn't really lose that much. The dark helped us more than it helped them." Avery explained.

The nurse spoke up, interrupting the short reunion.

"Alright, that should be enough bandages. Your free to go, just don't put any pressure on that wound or it'll open up again." She explained.

"Thank you Miss..." Ross stopped, realizing her didn't even know her name.

"Redheart." She said, gathering up her supplies so generously provided by the humans.

"Oh, thanks Ms. Redheart. I uh, like your red fur." Ross said, trying to make up for not knowing her name.

"Your quite welcome, and my fur is actually white." She said as she left to tend to more wounded soldiers.

Ross hadn't realized that her coloring was the result of crusted blood that had completely dyed her fur red.

______________________________________________________________

Canterlot Castle 11:32 AM

Twilight, Rarity, and Applejack sat in the officers common room where they often discussed the happenings of the day. They were alone other than a few high-ranking unicorns chatting it up on the other side of the room. Rainbow Dash was outside in the training yard working her troops while Pinkie Pie was busy finishing off the remaining desserts in the ballroom. They hadn't seen Fluttershy all day.

"I think I've done an exceptional job designing the new uniforms for the guard ponies which is more than I can say about this ugly rag I'm wearing right now." Said Rarity.

Rarity had been put in charge of a textiles division sewing uniforms and blankets for the troops. She was especially happy knowing she could do her part performing what she loved best.

"That's great Rarity. I'm glad your conforming so easily to your new role here." Exclaimed Twilight.

"So Applejack, regale us on the duty the princesses have bestowed upon you." Said Rarity.

"Huh? Sorry Rarity but I've jus' been preoccupied lately. It just ain't right how comfortable Rainbow is with this whole division commander thing. Ah don't think she understands what she's gettin' herself into!" Said Applejack.

"Relax darling, she probably isn't even going to fight that much anyway. She'll just tag along with Shining Armor and those humans for a while. " Said Rarity, whipping a portion of her mane out of her face.

"Ah don't know Rarity. It just don't seem right. Look at her! She's out there right now-"

Applejack was interrupted by the sudden presence of the princess of the night.

"Applejack, might we have a word?" She asked.

"Uh, sure yer majesty." She complied, walking out into the hallway.

They met just outside the door and waiting there for them was major Ingram.

"Ah, just the pony I've been wanting to see." Said the human.

"What's this all about?" The cowpony asked.

The major now spoke in a stern voice.

"Listen dear, I understand you are fine companion among your group and retain excellent leadership capabilities. The princesses and I have dubbed you fit and able to lead your own division of ponies into battle. We want to send you off to the front-lines today and reinforce one of our positions outside Baltimare. "

"Wha-, Ah cant do that! I'm just a simple apple farmer." She said in disbelief.

"But that's just it! Your anything but simple! We asked your friend Rainbow Dash for input and she said you'd make an excellent combat leader. She's told me of your many physical feats like your innate kicking strength! And she's also told us of the countless times you've single hand- hoofedly led stampedes of cattle away from your hometown." Ingram Spoke in a giddy voice.

"Ponyfeathers. Ah just told ya'. Ah ain't no combat leader!" She pleaded.

The major adopted a serious expression and an even more serious tone.

"Listen dear, we need leaders. Commanders that wont falter in the heat of combat. Soldiers that wont retreat when faced with adversity. In case you didn't know, we've just lost Appleloosa to an inferior changeling force because the commander stationed there couldn't keep his troops together. We need soldiers like you."

Appleloosa? Oh Celestia, Breaburn! She frantically thought to herself.

More and more of Applejack's family was being thrust into this ever growing conflict. She couldn't just let this slide. But then again, it would mean involving herself in a war in which she may not survive. She needed to be smart here.

"Ah'll have to think 'bout this one maj-"

Applejack was cut off by a frantic yell down the hallway.

"Sir, the refugee camp a few miles outside of checkpoint B was attacked!"

Applejack gasped. Ingram had already started following the princess down the hall.

That's the camp where the Ponyville refugees are kept!

Applejack came to a dreadful understanding. Her family was under attack, or worse.

Dead.

"Major." applejack deadpanned.

Ingram stopped in his tracks, looking back at the pony.

"Yes?"

"Ah've considered yer offer. And I accept." She said, lowering her head.

"Excellent, but right now I need to coordinate the troops in the area for a counterattack. Go find your friend Rainbow Dash. She'll fill you in on the details captain Applejack." The major said, running after the messenger.

Applejack just stood there, mouth agape.

"Applejack dear, are you okay? We heard shouting." She heard Rarity call from inside the common room.

"Applejack?" Called Twilight.

"Ah, ah've gotta go!" She replied, galloping down the corridor and into the training courtyard to confront her friend.

"C'mon Private move your flank! Only the best get to be under my command!" Rainbow Dash shouted toward a weary Pegasus.

Out of the the corner of her eye, Rainbow Dash spotted her friend trot out into the courtyard.

"You guys, just uh.. do what you want. I'll be right back!" Said Rainbow.

The confused soldiers stared blankly at her until one spoke up.

"You mean, at ease?" He asked.

"Yeah, that. Do that!" She said, flying off to meet her friend.

"Hey Applejack! Did you take up that offer on-"

Rainbow Dash was interrupted by her friend's hoof being jabbed at her chest.

"Rainbow! What were you thinking?" Applejack yelled.

The guards stared at the two, worried that their captain was going to get a black eye from Lt. Applejack.

"I-"

"No, just don't! I accepted the offer anyway." Applejack said, looking down at her hooves.

"Well, that's awesome!" Said the now jubilant Rainbow Dash.

"No! Not awesome! Ah don't think you really understand what yer gettin' into here!" Yelled Applejack.

"Applejack, we've been over this before, I-"

"Rainbow, we are at war!"

"Well, I know that." She said sheepishly, too embarrassed to admit anything in front of her soldiers.

"No you don't! Tell me Rainbow, how many ponies have you killed lately?" She questioned.

"Applejack this is different, it's changelings we're talking about!" She argued back.

"It don't matter! Don't you get it? We are gonna be asked to kill Rainbow! Kill!" Applejack shouted, angered at her friend's casual approach at the matter.

"Well maybe-"

"Just, don't." Applejack trailed off as she walked back inside, not even bothering to find out the location of her unit.

___________________________________________________________

Ponyville, Equestria 12:01 PM

Captain Ross and Shining Armor had gathered up the remaining troops for a meeting to discuss the courses of action to be taken.

"Alright, and there's another thing we needed to talk about. In a few hours, we'll be relieved by friendly forces and we'll replenish supplies."

Ross' diction was met with sighs of relief.

"That's the good news. The bad news, is that as soon as we're back to full fighting force, we have orders to move out and assist friendly forces in assaulting the changeling positions located near the city of Baltimare." He said.

The marines were already well aware of the similarities the cities in Equestria had to their own. They had no room for laughs about these odd coincidences anymore though.

The marines and ponies groaned in response, realizing that there was nothing they could do to delay the impending battles.

And the casualties that came with them.

"Look, I know we're all tired, but we've got a job to do!" Yelled Shining Armor.

"He's right! Look how far we've gotten. We cant give up now!" Shouted Ross.

The soldiers didn't even seem phased by their leader's meager attempts at boosting morale.

Shining Armor sighed.

"To hay with it, we gotta face it. They're just tired of it. All of this." He whispered into Ross' ear.

"I can see that, but we have a war to fight. Fatigue in itself is a killer." He whispered back.

"Yeah, I can see that." Shining Armor replied, gazing at the battered soldiers.

Both marine and pony had seen enough fighting to last them a lifetime already. Shining Armor could see it in their eyes. The rowdy troops he had known the other day were gone, the stern faces of warriors taking their place. Faces that had seen war and were no strangers to killing. The replacements he and Ross were getting were all raw recruits. "Greenhorns" Ross had called them.

"Another thing we need to pick up on. I know you all want to contact relatives and let them know your alright." Ross said.

The troops nodded in agreement.

"Well, when our forces set up a proper command post near the portal to this world, we'll be able to send letters through a postal service set up for your convenience. Yep, that's right. No more skyping or any form of video-chat. We do it the old fashioned way."

The marines were obviously upset, but the ponies couldn't figure out why.

"Captain, you take over from here." Said Ross.

"Alright, ponies listen up. Forget what he just said. It doesn't apply to you. We'll send letters like we've always done. That's about it. When the replacements get here, we'll begin our march toward Baltimare. Dismissed." Said Shining Armor.

The weary troops rose from their spots and drearily walked back to their previous positions. Ross hadn't really gotten a good chance to observe his men after the night incursion. Closely inspecting them from a distance, Ross had realized the toll this war had already taken on his men, and what it was about to take from them. Most of his soldiers were wounded, either from the battle yesterday during daylight, or the fight that took place that evening. Some bore bandages that covered their foreheads, much like his, and some limped on broken legs. Others had slings on their arms and some were covered in bloody rags wrapped around wounds and other medicinal components. He was certain of one thing.

No one walked away from the battles unscathed.

_________________________________________________________

Canterlot outskirts 12:45 PM

The other regiments had gone their separate ways, each unit needed at a different location. Rainbow Dash and her brigade of Pegasi had begun their flight toward the town of Ponyville thirty minutes ago. With the ability of flight, it would only take half the time to get there. With good measure too.

The Pegasi she now commanded were the much needed reinforcements of Twilight's brother and the human captain.

"So captain, I know we're fighting alongside Shining Armor's guards and I'm honored for that, but what of the humans?" Rainbow's lieutenant, Silver Sparks, asked.

"Y'know, now that you think about it, I've never met a human soldier before." She commented.

"What about the two in the castle?"

"Well yeah, there's those two. But I'm talking about the real deal." Said Rainbow Dash.

"I heard there were humans at the skirmish in Ponyville." He said.

"Yeah me too. Apparently they didn't really do anything helpful. Or so I've heard." Said Rainbow Dash.

"I don't believe that. I think in a battle like that, everyone would have to do their part." Said the lieutenant.

"Meh, whatever. I do know one thing's for sure. Ponies are definitely better fighters than humans." Rainbow Dash said with that familiar brash grin.

The rest of the journey was taken in silence, all of the new recruits not knowing what to expect once they reached Ponyville.

Or what the journey ahead of them would yield once they set out to Baltimare.

_____________________________________________________________

Ponyville, Equestria 7:34 PM

By now, it had already begun to get dark, and the runners they had sent to guide the arriving human reinforcements to the town hadn't returned yet. Ross and Shining Armor had been waiting all day at the entrance of the village for the arrival of the new soldiers bearing food and ammo. They had also kept an eye out for the approaching ponies. According to General Taylor, it would take half a day for the ponies to reach them, seeing as though their departure destination was so far away.

"Shit, man. My ass is getting numb sitting like this all day." Ross said.

By now, the veteran ponies had learned to tolerate the humans profanity and even begun to excercise their own ways of verbal vulgarity.

"Yeah, my buckin' back is killing me." Added Shining Armor.

"When do you think they'll be here. The ponies, I mean." Asked Ross.

"Well, it's a days march from here to Canterlot so I wouldn't think very long now seeing as though you can half that time by flying." Said Shining Armor.

Over the horizon, the two could see round caps coming over the hill and down the numerous paths. The approaching troops numbered in the thousands and the ground beneath them shook from the marching formations.

"Holy shit, it's the reinforcements!" Shouted Ross in astonishment.

"I'll get the troops ready." Said Shining Armor, leaving to rally his and Ross' men.

Ross ran out to meet the rest of the marine divisions and locate the replacements for his. Ross passed by hundreds of soldiers in the fields beyond the town, all staring at him with odd looks. They had a good reason too.

Ross hadn't bothered to change his clothes or wash himself since the siege of Ponyville two days ago. He looked like he'd just fought his way out of a den full of wild tigers armed with AK-47's and Bowie knives.

"U.S. forces? U.S. forces?" Ross asked every soldier he passed by.

It was hopeless though. He wasn't going to find American troops in the labyrinth of humans that had formed around him, all trying to find their place in the battered fields that surrounded Ponyville.

Meanwhile, Shining Armor had gone into town to rouse the remaining troops and prepare them for the long march ahead. After awakening his lieutenant, the two proceeded in doing the same to every soldier they came across, informing them that reinforcements had arrived.

"Holy crap, you serious?"

"Reinforcements? Supplies? Alright!"

"Already? I was just gettin' used to this place."

After reorganizing the troops in town, Shining Armor put them in marching formation.

"C'mon everybody, move it! We need to be up and ready to go once the replacements arrive!" He yelled.

As if on cue, the pony reinforcements marched into town through the rear, looking upon the destructive aftermath of the previous day's battle.

Most were silent, gazing at the ruined town before them save one energetic rainbow pony.

"What the hay happened to this place? Hey! Shining Armor! Yeah you! Over here!" Rainbow yelled.

Shining Armor galloped over to Rainbow's unit, permitting no further entrance into town.

"Captain Dash, reporting for duty!" She said.

"Hey Rainbow Dash! How's my sister?" He asked rather casually.

"Oh, she's great. Can you believe they gave me my own unit to command?"

"They did? I thought you were just joking about the whole "captain" thing." He said.

"No really, I am! Check out this wicked armor! No way I'm letting this get dirty! Whoa, what happened to yours?" She asked, leaning forward to observe the heavy scuffs and slashes that adorned his breastplate.

"This war is what happened." He said softly with a more serious tone.

"C'mon, follow me into town. I'll need you to form up next to those troops over there. My lieutenant, Swift Wind will help you if you get lost. I've gotta go find someone so I'll be right back!" Shining Armor called back as he galloped toward the other end of town.

"Got it. Form up with the other troops. Simple enough. Nothing "the dash" cant handle." She said theatrically as she led her troops past the humans into formation with the other ponies.

The humans!

Rainbow Dash was so caught up with following orders that she hadn't had a chance to see real human soldiers! Rainbow looked to the left side of the formation in order to get a good view.

She started talking giddily to herself as her head began panning to the left.

"I bet they have cool battle armor and weapons that totally kick flank and-"

She cut herself off, finally getting a view of the humans that she so desperately needed a glance at. What she saw was a completely different image than the description her mind gave her. She imagined buff, two legged beasts donning armor built for gods.

Instead, she eyed the battered remains of the 1st marine division.

They looked tired and fed-up. They hardly acknowledged her as she scanned the ranks, looking for something remotely "cool" about them. All she saw were depressed creatures that just wanted to go home. Some wore terrible scars that decorated their faces and limbs in a twisted fashion. Many had bandages that covered entire portions of their face and body. Some of the humans sitting on the sidelines were missing limbs that she could see weren't missing on the others. Looking over to the right, the guard ponies were much the same. They looked nothing like the prideful, shiny guards that milled around the Castle in Canterlot. These guards lacked luster, and didn't wear the familiar stare that most of the others had in the rich city. In short, the evidence of war was written all over these soldiers, and they didn't mind showing it.

Shining Armor was busy going from human to human, trying to locate Ross in the sea of different nations. What confused him even more were the replies he received when he questioned them.

"Ross?"

" Что это, черт возьми?"

"Ross, that you?"

"Mon dieu! Il parle!"

"Ross, are you there?"

"Das Pferd nur mit mir gesprochen!"

No matter how he asked, he never got the right answer.

"Shining Armor! Over here!"

Suddenly, he could hear a voice calling out to him.

In Equestrian too! He thought excitedly.

Looking to the speaker, he saw Ross waving him over near a large group of soldiers in similar battle gear.

"Ross, thank Celestia I found you. Do you know how many-"

Shining Armor was cut off by the loud, obnoxious realizations coming from the other marine divisions.

"Holy shit, look at that thing! It talks!"

"Danny, check this out!"

"Damn. The horses back at home on my ranch never spoke."

An older marine walked up and saluted them both. Shining Armor was relieved to see that even in worlds apart, rank meant something.

"I don't suppose your captain Shining Armor?" He asked.

"Yeah, that's right."

The older marine stuck his hand out and replied.

"Good. Colonel James Seaton. Pleased to meet you captain."

Shining Armor went wide-eyed. A colonel? Shining Armor jumped to attention.

Seaton started laughing.

"At ease son, no need for that formal bullshit." He said with a soft grin.

"Ross, lead your replacements into town. The rest of the marine divisions are gonna hold the village. We'll follow you in." Seaton said, gesturing to himself and the pony captain.

A somewhat large group of marines formed in front of Ross.

Yep. These are definitely recruits. He thought to himself.

"Let's move out!" Ross ordered.

Upon arriving in town, the recruits set their sights on the weary marines in front of them.

"Holy crap, what happened to you guys?"

"Jesus, you guys look like shit."

"What the hell happened here?"

The tired marines just stared at their replacements, each one resembling a fallen buddy.

"Whoa, check out the ponies." One of the replacements said in a hushed voice.

The guard ponies did the same as the veterans next to them. They just stared. One pony in particular looked at them in disgust. They were just going to die like his friend did when the changelings first attacked. One of the recruits, a young marine, lined up in place beside Yellow Star.

That was Higgins' spot. He thought to himself.

"Hey kid, move. Spot's taken." Corporal Yellow Star spoke coldly.

He'd been promoted since the assault on the changeling camp and was already living up to the promotion.

"Sorry, but this is my spot. Cap says so." Said the marine matter-of-factly.

"Move!" Yellow Star shoved him away, provoking the attention of captain Dash.

She may have been new here, but she was still a higher rank. She had a duty to fulfill.

"Hey! Break it up you two!" She yelled.

Yellow Star stared her down, not letting this newbie tell him what to do.

"And just what do you want?" Yellow Star asked.

"Your speaking to a captain soldier. Act like it." Rainbow said orderly.

Rainbow held her ground, certain her rank would uphold her authority.

"What's going on here?" She asked.

The marine scrambled up from the ground and spoke quickly.

"That creep pushed me down and told me that wasn't my spot. But it is!" He said childishly.

Rainbow Dash shifted her gaze to corporal Yellow Star.

"Is that true?"

Yellow Star stood his ground. He replied coldly.

"Yeah." He said, taking a step closer to his commander.

Rainbow now spoke in a stern voice, annoyed with the corporal's insubordinate attitude.

"Stand down soldier. Get back in line, and let the human in too!" She ordered.

After a few seconds of intense staring, Yellow Star backed up and the marine entered the formation.

"Good, We're all friends now?" She asked, receiving no reply.

Rainbow Dash returned to her position, proud of herself for solving the quarrel. Just then, the human and Shining Armor had come back, trailing behind an older marine.

Ross spoke up.

"Your not coming sir?"

"No, I need to stay here and coordinate the men. The rest of the countries are being sorted out and will move out a few hours after you reach Baltimare. We'll be able to stay in contact with the extra radio you received. Use it accordingly. Your dismissed captain. Good luck and Godspeed. " Said Seaton.

"Thank you sir." Said captain Ross, moving to the front of the column accompanied by Shining Armor.

"Are we ready to move?" Ross asked the pony captain.

"They should be. Swift Wind! Did you organize the troops like I told you to?" Asked Shining Armor.

"Yes sir!"

"Good. We're ready as we'll ever be." Said Shining Armor.

Ross sighed and faced the troops.

"Alright! Let's move out!" He shouted.

The ponies and the marines left the small town of Ponyville, marching toward the great unknown and most likely toward a horrible, bloody death.

And it's name was Baltimare.

____________________________________________________________