• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 5,148 Views, 169 Comments

Camaraderie - walk-in closet brony



"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers." - Francois Fenelon

  • ...
9
 169
 5,148

Chapter 10

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.

-José Narosky

Canterlot 12:30 PM

Captain Arthur Ross had just finished debriefing the men on the situation at hand in the castle courtyard. With the entire Russian army stationed in Equestria destroyed save a few shaken survivors, it was all up to the remaining human military units to put a stop to this horrible war. Even now, America's armed forces present in the distant land were dwindling. Many good marines had been lost in the conquest of Baltimare and the attack on Canterlot. Using these demoralizing factors, Ross skillfully crafted them into rallying cries to raise the hopes of the tired men.

"Alright, to sum things up, we get today to rest, stock up on ammo, and prepare for the move on Detrot. Tomorrow, we'll begin the march accompanied by whoever the princesses have to give us. We'll link up with friendly units along the way. As far as I know, nobody has backed out of this war yet so we should have ample support from the other nations. We punch through the Detrot line, punch through the Everfree forest, punch Chrysalis in the face, and go home by Christmas. Hoorah?" Exclaimed Ross.

"Hoorah!" Replied whatever remained of the first marine division.

Sergeant Avery and Ross strolled into town accompanied by Lieutenant Ward. The civilians had set up a shaded area in the center of the city square and were giving out the human equivalents of an MRE. Serving with a smile, the Canterlot locals gratuitously thanked the humans and guard ponies for saving their friends, families, and children.

"Thank you!" Said a teal mare as she levitated a meal to Ward.

"We are forever indebted to you!" Thanked a stallion as he shook the hand of Captain Ross.

Avery got blown over by the ponies and was left standing there with his small nutrition supplement.

"Gee, thanks a lo-"

Avery was interrupted by a curt tug on his trousers.

"Huh?"

Standing at his feet, a small filly beamed gratefully up at the ragged man.

"Thank you for saving me mister." Smiled the child.

"Gee kid, no need to thank me. All part of the job!" Avery added with a laugh.

"Like daddy? He was out here too last night with the funny men. Mommy says he'll be back soon though. He had to go away for a while, that's all." Frowned the young pony.

Avery grimaced and felt great pity for the filly at his feet. She had lost her father and didn't even know it. The forlorn sergeant took a knee and spoke as gently as he could.


"Yeah. Sure kid... he'll be back soon. You run along now, I think your friends are having some fun over there I'm sure you wouldn't want to miss." He spoke.

"Okay. Bye mister!" Called the filly as she galloped over to a game of hopscotch.

"Poor kid." Said Avery as he stood up and walked over to his squad mates.

"Mail call!" Shouted a pony in tattered clothing.

A long caravan had rolled into town straight from the portal near Ponyville carrying letters and parcels by the hundreds. A large crowd gathered around, both man and pony waiting to receiving their post. In ten minutes, the carts were picked clean and the mail ponies had trotted off, probably traveling to other armies currently fighting in the general area.

Corporal Klein and Private Sunny Breeze sat by a ravaged fountain and exchanged thoughts, conversing lightly under the withered haze of the afternoon sun.

"Get anything interesting from your relations?" Asked Klein.

"Sure. My mom sent me my favorite Wonderbolts goggles!" Said Sunny Breeze gleefully.

"What's a Wonderbolt?" Asked Klein.

"Dude! Only the coolest flight group ever to grace the skies!" Gasped Sunny Breeze.

"Really? Hey, let me see those." Said Klein, reaching for the goggles.

Fitting them over his head, Klein fumbled with the adjusting straps as he struggled to put on the clumsy headgear. Finally donning the eyepieces, Klein looked over at Sunny Breeze for the reveal.

"How do I look?"

Without saying a word, Sunny Breeze broke out laughing. The goggles, too small for Klein's head, pulled back the skin around his forehead making him look like some kind of pygmy out of a fairy tale.

"Everyone's a critic." Sighed Klein as he pulled off the goggles and gave them back to the pony.

"Oh Celestia, I needed that. Anyway, what did you get?" Said Sunny Breeze wiping tears from his eyes.

"Nothin' much. Just a letter and my monthly subscription to Game-Informer." Said Klein as pulled out the Magazine and flipped through the pages.

Sunny Breeze leaned over eyed the colorful articles. Paragraph-after-Paragraph adorned each page followed by a picture that probably had something to do with the words.

"What's a... Call of Duty: Black OPS 3? It looks... explosion-y" Said Sunny Breeze.

"Probably just another cash-cow Infinity Ward and Activision pulled out of their asses. Bet that'll sell a couple million in a few days." Said Klein.

"Wow..." Sunny Breeze gaped as he sat back up against the fountain.

Meanwhile on the other side of town, Private First Class Hamilton sat on a charred couch pillow and read a book that had come in with the mail. Nearby, a distinct purple mare trotted through the torn landscape, no actual destination on her mind.

"Hmmmm...." Exclaimed Twilight as she spotted the lone soldier with glasses as he read in silence.

Creeping up quietly so as to not disturb the human, Twilight peered over the soldier's shoulder.

"If I may be so bold as to ask, what are you reading? Sorry it's just, literature is the last thing I figured one of your kind would be interested in." Admitted Twilight.

Hamilton looked up and smiled at the pony.

"Oh sure, I love a good book every now and then! Oh and to answer your question, I'm reading The Once and Future King, by T.H. White. A classic." Said Hamilton.

Finding a comfortable place to sit, Twilight found herself picking up an interest in this strange, new book.

"Really? What's it about?" She asked.

"It's a great tale about the life of King Arthur. I've read it before but my mom knows I love this one." Smiled Hamilton as he re-adjusted the glasses on his nose.

Twilight sat quietly, letting the man read in peace for a little more. An odd one this was. Whereas everyone else was off enjoying other pleasures, this peculiar fellow was delighting himself with the comfort of a novel.

Perhaps these humans weren't so different after all?

Taking note that the purple mare hadn't left yet, Hamilton looked up at the curious pony.

"I take it you like reading too?"

Twilight grinned and nodded excitedly.

"Oh yes! I've always preferred written works over any game the kids in my neighborhood played." Beamed Twilight.

"No way? See, a kid like me got called names for what I did. I earned the name 'egghead' from my squad mates just because I like to read. I don't mind, but it does get annoying from time to time." Said Hamilton.

"Really? My friends call me that too!" Gawked Twilight.

Hamilton had to stifle a laugh for that one.

"Heh, the name's Hamilton. George Hamilton." Said the PFC as he stuck his hand out to the pony.

"Twilight Sparkle. Charmed." She smiled as she returned the gesture.

Canterlot Castle 12:47 PM

After finishing their meager brunch, Ross and Ward entered the castle for a proper debrief with general Taylor and the princesses. Other than the meeting in the throne room earlier, none of the marines had officially met the general or any of the princesses.

Luna, Celestia, or the Alicorn with the pink mane.

"So.. what are we doing here sir?" Asked Ward as they stepped through the messy corridors of Canterlot castle.

"We're here to meet up with general Taylor and discuss plans for our next move. If you'll recall, we didn't exactly go in-depth during the meeting earlier. He's got specific plans for where each and every army needs to be when we take the ruins." Explained Ross.

The door to the throne room was guarded by a few elite royal sentries that kept a steady watch over the entrance.

"Um... can we go in or what?" Ross asked the guards.

The guards paid no mind to the two humans and held their ground, not moving an inch.

"I don't know skip. Maybe we should just stare back." Whispered Ward in Ross' ear.

After an awkward moment of silence between Ross, Ward, and the guard ponies, steady foot falls could be heard in the background.

"That's enough captain." Laughed a familiar voice.

Whirling around, Ross and Ward jumped to attention as soon as they recognized the speaker.

"General Taylor sir!" Shouted both the subordinates in unison.

"They wont open the door because you don't have the proper code. Let me handle this." General Taylor pushed by the two soldiers and stood in front of the guards.

"Serendipity."

On cue, the guards pushed open the doors, permitting the humans passage.

"Well whaddya know." Said Ward as he walked through the large entrance.

Inside the throne room, orderlies and staff milled around viewing documents and convening strategic tactics to one another.

"So, how has Equestria treated you two so far?" Asked General Taylor.

Ross scoffed and spoke exasperatedly.

"To tell you the truth sir, like hammered shit. Things have been FUBAR from the start." He spoke.

"Well that's a shame captain. Come to think of it, you look like shit too. I'm sure they'll have something set up in town for that in a while." Said Taylor.

"Like a bath? God, I could use a nice hot shower right about now." Admitted Ward.

"Heh, couldn't we all? Well, here we are boys, command central." Said Taylor as he pointed to an area at the far end of the room.

Placed next to the throne, a small area filled to the brim with maps, books, and military personnel sat totally cut off from the other sectors in the chamber. The princesses of the day and night were studying maps with tired, bloodshot eyes.

"Your highnesses. This is Captain Arthur Ross and First Lieutenant Preston Ward." Noted Taylor.

"Who?" Asked Luna, showing obvious signs of sleep depravity.

"They are our esteemed leaders of the first marine division Luna." Said Celestia stepping up to the two men.

"I give great thanks for arriving when you did gentlemen. We nearly, um... purchased the territory as the general here likes to say." Smiled Celestia.

"Bought the farm." Corrected Taylor.

Ross and Ward gave a respectful bow and looked as humble as they could.

"No need to thank us your highness. We all gotta make a living-" Said Ross, waiting for Ward to continue the phrase.

"-And we're in the business of killing!" Cheered Ward.

The two shared grins but immediately concealed their moment of immaturity by once again donning the submissive faces they had earlier.

"Ahem, of course." Luna said in a disapproving attitude.

"Why don't we get down to business general. You may have the floor." Said Celestia.

Taylor stepped up and positioned himself next to a bulletin board with a large map that covered the land of Equestria.

"Thank you your majesty. Ross, your arrival in the nick of time has dealt the changelings a serious blow. They have pulled back to their final stronghold outside the Everfree forest here, in the ruins of Detrot. The loss of an army this big will definitely set them back, but don't think for a second that they wont counter-attack and wipe us all out now. Our plan is to hit them hard and fast with whatever we've got left. It's our duty-"

"Heh, he said duty..." Noted Ward.

"Are you done Lieutenant?" Asked Luna in an irritated voice.

"Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am." Said Ward, suddenly feeling very foolish for his actions.

"As I was saying, it's our objective to lead the assault from the east side of the city. The attack on Detrot will need to be a quick, decisive victory if we are to continue on to the Changeling hive in the Everfree. The rest of the marine divisions have been seeing action outside Trottingham and will move to assist when available. Now, since winter is at our doorstep, we'll definitely want this done before we start getting any real snow. Understood?"

"Yes sir!" Said Ross and Ward.

"Good. Your services are no longer needed here trooper. You may go rejoin your men." Said Celestia.

After another humble bow, Captain Ross and Lieutenant Ward left the throne room without another word.

"Fine men they are." Said Taylor.

Luna rolled her eyes and scoffed.

"Fine? They are sloppy, childish excuses of soldiers. Not to mention how dirty they were when they came in. No personal regard for anything, the animals."

Celestia recoiled from her sisters words.

"Luna... you disrespectful nitwit." Growled Celestia.

Luna jumped back at her sisters attack.

"Wha-"

Celestia stuck her muzzle right in Luna's face and spoke angrily.

"Have you forgotten the sacrifices they have made? Those sloppy excuses of soldiers have fought and died ferociously for our country and deserve a heroes parade after this war. Every last one of them. Not to mention that they just saved our lives. I doubt even you and I could have held off an attacking force that large. You will treat each of those soldiers out there as an equal and you will do so without a hint of dissatisfaction. Do I make myself clear?"

Luna could only shrink in embarrassment at the example that was just made of her. By her sister of all ponies.

"That's what I thought. Taylor, you're dismissed. I need time to think."

"Uh yeah, holy shit... I'm gonna go over there for a bit and uh.. review... stuff." Stuttered Taylor, still in shock from the can of ass-whooping verbally thrown at the princess of the night.

Canterlot 12:59 PM

Ross and Ward left the castle and regrouped with the men outside. After filling them in with the new orders, Ross had to sit down and think for a bit.

Another assault? We aren't gonna be able to do this with the manpower we currently have. Ross thought glumly.

"Hey skip?"

Snapping back to reality, Ross looked up at Sergeant Avery shaking his head at something in the distance.

"Yeah?"

"Can you believe Guzzo actually spent a buck fifty on one of those things?" Said Avery.

"What thing?" Asked Ross.

"Y'know, one of those informational pamphlets. Tells us what's goin' on back home and all."

"Gee I don't know Richard, sounds pretty cool to me. Hey Guzzo! What does it say?"

A group of men crowded around Guzzo parted to let the captain and 'sarge' in on the gathering.

"Well, the Dodgers won the World Series, Israel and Palestine are on the brink of a peace treaty, and it looks like they brought back the Twinkie." Said Guzzo.

"No shit? That all it says?" Asked Avery.

"Nah, haven't even gotten to the back yet. Hey would ya look at that! They told 'em!"

The group of marines waited for Guzzo to say more. When he didn't, they grew rather impatient.

"Who told who what?" Asked Rossetti.

"Apparently, the cat's outta the bag. Everyone knows about the war now." Said Guzzo.

"Seriously? What does it say?" Asked Childers.

"The Government let out an exclusive story to the press that, and I quote, ...the United Nations have been waging a war between beasts of unimaginable threats to our world. The cover-up, which has lasted for more than a few months now, was instilled to keep the public and other prying eyes from uncovering details that involved national security. Yadda yadda yadda. It just kinda goes on from there about how everyone's taking it."

"Really? How so?" Asked Sergeant Freeman.

"Well, the environmentalists are demanding they get to see this 'new world' because it's their constitutional right, America is in an uproar, half the world can't believe we're fighting alongside Technicolor ponies, and people are begging for war correspondents to get a picture of a changeling."

"Well, they're handling it well." Said Avery after moment of silence.

Ross had to sit down for a bit. The world was now aware of the war he and his men were fighting and dying in. While he took it all in, Ross sifted in his pocket for the letter he had received not too long ago when the mail had arrived. He hadn't even bothered to read it yet. Unfurling the folded paper, he read the words silently to himself.

Dear Arthur,

Holy cow man! It's all over the news bro, ponies, changelings, Equestria. They've already got a bunch of news crews down in that town called Horsey-ville or something! The guy on Channel two said your unit fought there a while back! That's so cool. My friends at school totally think I'm lying. Mom and Dad are a bit shaken and I think mom was crying last night. No one's really showing it, but I think we're all really scared for you right now Arthur. Especially dad. He doesn't like to talk about it, but I know he cares for you. I know I do.

Stay safe,

Dennis

Setting the letter in his lap, Ross sighed. Dad caring about him? That was something. He could worry about all that when he got home though. If he got home. For now, he had promises to keep. Promises to the mothers of the boys he was leading right now. Promises to bring them back home safe.

And he had already broken half of them.

Canterlot 8:32 PM

As evening fell on the darkened city, torches were lit and the surviving inhabitants of Canterlot hunkered down and ate dinner. Even after the attack, the food stores in the root cellars of the grand city still brimmed with ample food supplies. For the most part, it was quiet surrounding the many campfires that dotted the streets of Canterlot. The elements, Shining Armor, Cadence, and Ross received the meal reserved for the officers and wandered the castle looking for a dining spot.

"Any idea where to sit Arthur?" Asked Shining Armor.

"Uh, you guys go ahead. I'm gonna go ahead and sit outside." Said Ross, heading for the doors.

"Why would you want to do that? It's dreadfully cold outside." Said Rarity.

"I prefer the company of my men if it's all the same to you. Wouldn't feel right if I sat in here and ate by the fire while they huddle in the cold out there." Said Ross turning to leave.

After his departure, the group stood there and contemplated their next move.

"Y'know, maybe camping out in the streets ain't so bad an idea after all. Plus, Ah've got troops out there too that could probably use mah presence. Morale wise and all if you know what Ah mean." Said Applejack.

"Same here. You girls don't mind do you?" Asked Rainbow Dash.

The group gave each other quick glances and, after debating silently to themselves, decided a camp-out wasn't such a bad idea. Walking out, the wall of cold that hit the ponies was bitter and unrelenting. All the more terrible when it was coupled with the faces of the soldiers that clustered together in tight groups for warmth.

"They look so cold." Said Fluttershy.

"Yeah? Well they're not the only ones. C'mon Cadence, we'll go sit with Ross. Some of my guards are over there anyways. It'll be nice for you to meet them seeing as though the only time you actually interact with them is from a balcony."

"Sounds good to me honey, as long as your there with me." Said Cadence.

The two nuzzled each other and Rainbow grimaced.

"Ew. You two have fun. I'll be over there if anyone needs me." Said Rainbow as she flew off.

"Me too. Mah unit's camped out not too far from here. If you need me, just holler." Said Applejack as she trotted off.

"Well I guess that just leaves us." Said Twilight.

The fire pit that Ross was clinging to for warmth was being accommodated by several other soldiers, all shivering and eating their vegetable soup.

"Oh? Look who's here guys! The two lovers and the elements of... whatever, I forget the rest." Said Avery.

"Ha, very funny. Now make some room, we're freezing." Said Shining Armor.

"So, Ross is it?" Asked Cadence.

"Yep. This is Hamilton, Ward, Wilcox, Avery, Jacobs, Buchanon, and Klein." He explained.

All the men gave small waves as each of their names were counted off.

"If you haven't met the elements yet, that's Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy." Said Cadence.

"And these ponies here are some of my outfit. We've been fighting since Ponyville alongside the humans." Said Shining Armor, pointing to Summer Haze and his troops.

The silence that followed wasn't awkward, but almost natural. The presence of these men and ponies made the scenario almost feel comfortable.

"I hate this war." Said Fluttershy, breaking the silence.

"We all do. Killed a lot of good boys already." Said Avery somberly.

The elements, at least those who had still not seen combat, bowed their heads in subtle shame. While their friends and these humans were out fighting, they had sat in the comfort of a castle in the middle of a pampered city. But not anymore. Tomorrow, they would accompany the troops into the fray and hopefully end the war in the next few days.

"Heh, remember Mueller? And how he could squirt milk out of his nose whenever he wanted to?" Remembered Wilcox, reminiscing of better times.

The men nodded and chuckled in agreement.

Shining Armor shuddered. He hated when Mueller did that.

"Really? Sounds awesome!" Said Pinkie Pie.

For a second, the pink mare's hair had risen back to it's poofy state.

"I've gotta see this!" She said.

"Mortar shell cut him in half when we were taking Baltimare." Said Klein.

"Oh..." Said Pinkie, her hair flopping back down to it's straight form.

After a significantly longer quiet spell, Cadence snuggled up to her husband.

"Man, I wonder what Lily's doing right now." Said Avery, taking notice.

"Who?" Asked Twilight.

"My girl. You're lucky captain. You've got your wife right next to ya. God I wish I could say the same about myself." Said Avery, suddenly looking twenty percent more lonely.

Private Buchanon slapped him on the back and summoned a big grin.

"Don't worry sarge, you've still got us!" Cheered the kid, puckering his lips for a kiss.

"Gee, am I lucky or what?" Said Avery in a sarcastic voice as he pushed the private away from him.

The group shared a hearty laugh and quieted down for the better part of the night, and sure enough, everyone had eventually nodded off to sleep except for Ross. He had enjoyed the time they had spent together and was beginning to have trouble keeping his eyes open as well. He inspected each sleeping form, all of them looking extremely tired and in need of rest. Cadence and Shining Armor had fallen asleep in a heart-warming embrace while the elements had dozed off in a cute clustered heap. Lieutenant Ward snored loudly, mumbling a tune under his breath.

"... nobody knows the trouble I've seen..." Ward hummed following it with a huge snore.

Chuckling quietly to himself, Ross allowed himself to tire out and lay down on a makeshift mat. Soon enough, Ross joined the hundreds of sleeping souls that would soon have to leave their pleasant dreams and make the long journey into hell.

____________________________________________________________________