• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 5,149 Views, 169 Comments

Camaraderie - walk-in closet brony



"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers." - Francois Fenelon

  • ...
9
 169
 5,149

Chapter 8

"War! That mad game that the world so loves to play."

-Jonathan Swift

North of Baltimare 4:30 PM

After giving their farewells to the hell-hole that was Baltimare, the troops of the first marine division and Shining Armor's regiment including captain Dash and Applejack marched north to rendezvous with the princesses in the capitol city of Canterlot. Trudging up alongside Ross, Sgt. Avery hailed his old friend and looked at him glumly.

"Hey Artie, you know how long it's gonna take for us to get to...wherever the hell it is we're goin?"

Ross looked up and gave his buddy a blank stare.

"I don't know Dick. Could be a days march in the least. We'll definitely have to stop once or twice. I wouldn't worry about it."

Avery slouched.

"Jeez, this place is pretty far ain't it? These feet have already worked themselves rotten!" He whined.

"Ah, don't fret. Just imagine the place is made of chocolate or something. Ha, that oughta' raise your spirit huh?" Ross chortled, remembering a time in particular when Avery went out of his way to sneak into the officers quarters and yoink the double-chocolate chunk cake that those prissy bastards had been saving for themselves.

"Asshole." Avery smirked and fell back in line.

Near the rear, Vincent Rossetti marched alongside his comrades with a tired look adorning his face. He had been promoted since the last battle after indirectly causing the mass route of the changeling army defending Baltimare. Even with the extra stripe and his lucky baseball signed by R.A. Dickey sent to him by his kid-brother, they couldn't stop the aching in his legs from the constant marching that had taken place for the past four hours with no breaks whatsoever.

"Boy I sure am starting to miss those Humvees." Spoke Sergeant Rossetti.

The marines nostalgically nodded their heads in agreement while the ponies looked up in confusion.

"What's a Hum-vee?" Asked Rainbow Dash.

Private Hamilton grinned at the pony and spoke whole heartedly.

"Only the best thing invented since toilet paper!" He exclaimed.

The men laughed while the ponies shook their heads, at a loss for the vehicle in question.

"Lets just say we would probably be there by now if we had 'em." Said Childers.

The army continued the march for about three more hours taunting the unforgiving heat of the sun. Applejack and Rainbow Dash trotted silently next to one another enjoying the company of the silence that had befallen them after the grizzly action at Baltimare. Aware of each others deeds, heroic or not, the two friends had strengthened the bond they had forged since that fateful day in the Everfree forest facing Nightmare Moon. There would now be a solemn respect between the two knowing that they were now sisters-in-arms.

"Jeez, where the hell is this damn place anyway!" Complained Corporal Wilcox.

Shining Armor's new second in command, Summer Haze, perked up and spoke enthusiastically.

"Not too far from here actually. Just you wait, it's the most vibrant city you've ever seen! The streets are paved with the shiniest marble and the cobblestone buildings are breathtaking!" She explained.

"You seem to know quite a bit about this place. You hail from there or something?" Asked Private Church.

"Yeah, I was foaled there, but we moved out west when I turned five. I still remember the ice cream store my dad would take me to. We'd sit out on the curb and tell each other jokes. Heh, I'd get chocolate and he'd get cotton candy."

Summer Haze had lost herself in fond memories of her childhood with her family. Now she'd be able to see them again once she arrived.

"Damn, I didn't know we were having a meet n' greet. Salutations. My name's Howard Buchanan. My feet hurt and I ripped a fart about five minutes ago listening to miss sunshine over here tell us about happiness and gumdrops." Said Corporal Buchanan.

Smack

"Ow! What the hell?" Cried Buchanan

"Shut up Howie." Said Sergeant Rossetti.

"C'mon, I was just havin' a little fu-"

Buchanan rammed face-first into the backside of Sergeant Avery.

"Hey! What gives?" He asked.

The entire column had stopped. Up front, Ross and Shining Armor eyed the small encampment below. Crude cabins and tents had been built on the bluff below them. Ponies milled around, performing mundane tasks to kill time.

"What do you think? We goin' down there skip?" Asked Avery.

Ross shrugged.

"Don't know. What do you think captain?" Ross asked Shining Armor.

"Well, we need to make camp anyways. We'll stay here for the night, rest up, and leave early in the morning to make up for lost time. Sound good?" Said Shining Armor.

"You bet. I'm sure they wont mind sheltering the guys fighting for them huh?" Added Avery.

Ross nodded. They had come to the conclusion that the settlement down below was a refugee camp and that the inhabitants wouldn't mind sharing the place for a night.

"We goin' down there?" Asked Applejack trotting up accompanied by Rainbow Dash.

"Yeah. We're going to camp here tonight with those refugees. Maybe fill up on some rations if they have to spare. We'll only be here a day though so enjoy it while you can." Said Ross.

"Heck yeah, real beds!" Exclaimed Rainbow Dash.

Nodding, Shining Armor hadn't realized how long it had been since he had slept in an actual bed let alone his deluxe king size one at home with Cadence.

Cadence.

Shining Armor hadn't seen his beloved wife in a long time. He longed to nuzzle her beautiful mane. His sister was in Canterlot as well. Once there, he would cherish every second he had with the two for as long as he could. He could spend every waking moment-

"You coming captain?" Asked Summer Haze.

"Yes lieutenant, I'll be right there." Shining Armor said, snapping back to reality.

Halfway down the ridge the first thing the refugees could see were the tired humans trudging down the hill followed by the exhausted ponies trotting close behind. upon entering the camp, the town ponies gawked at the sight in front of them. Not only was this the first time they had laid eyes on human soldiers, but to see them in their current state was simply horrendous. Not to mention the condition of the guard ponies following them in. An equally overworked grey mare with a ruffled white mane came galloping over to the soldiers immediately addressing the already well known pony captain.

"Oh my Celestia, Captain are you and your guards okay?!" She asked.

"Heh, we're okay Mrs. Mayor, just a little beat up that's all." Chuckled Shining Armor.

Without hesitation, Mrs. Mayor glanced over at the accompanying human in torn, ragged clothing.

"Are you okay too commander? Would you and your.. uh... men like to rest here for a while? Catch your breath perhaps?" she asked with a look of pure concern, disregarding the fact that she was staring at a creature completely alien to her.

Ross smiled and spoke appreciatively.

"Thank you ma'am. We were actually looking to spend the night and rest up for tomorrow's march. We wont be a burden will we?" Ross asked.

"Of course not commander, take as much time as you need." She said with much respect.

"Please ma'am, just call me Ross. Or Captain. Whichever suits you best." Ross said.

The mayor nodded and Shining Armor cleared his throat, getting the attention of the two.

"Where exactly are we Mrs. Mayor?" He asked.

"Why, you're in the Ponyville refugee camp of course." She explained.

Ross and Shining Armor took in that information. Ponyville refugees. Ponyville was where the war had began for the two companies and where a lot of good friends had fallen.

"Oh my, is that Applejack and Rainbow Dash?" She said peering around the two captains.

"Yes ma'am. That would be them. Why ask?" Said Shining Armor.

"Well, they have some very anxious ponies that have been looking for the-"

"APPLEJACK!"

A high voice emanated from the crowd of gathering ponies as three distinct fillies galloped past the mayor and into the column of soldiers.

Applejack looked at the voice calling her and immediately broke down into tears.

"A..Applebloom?" Applejack croaked.

The small filly bounded into her older sister, bawling her eyes out. Behind her, a green coated mare trotted up as quickly as she could and hugged Applejack as tight as her old forelimbs could squeeze.

"Land-sakes girl, where in tarnation have you been?" Granny Smith asked through tears.

"Way too far away from home granny. It ain't Sweet Apple Acres, but It'll do." Applejack cried, returning the hug.

Sweetie Belle was too busy eyeing the humans to take much interest in the ponies but Scootaloo had her own destination.

One rainbow-maned Pegasus.

"RAINBOW!" She cried.

Surprised, Rainbow Dash caught the hovering filly in her forelimbs and stared in shock at her burrowing her head into her chest. She really meant a lot to Scootaloo. The fan club, the stalking, the idolizing. To think it took a war to make Rainbow realize this made her feel like the most self-centered pony in the world. Deeply, she returned the hug and spoke gently.

"Hey kid, how you hangin' in there?"

Scootaloo looked up and smiled.

"Better now that you're here." Said Scootaloo.

The rest of the soldiers stopped and, for the slightest moment, all that existed were the heartfelt embraces taking place in the center of the camp. No one spoke until the townsfolk trotted up to the guard ponies asking about the war, completely bypassing the marines. Sergeant Avery noticed this and frowned.

"What are we chopped liver?"

The only heads that turned were the humans, including Ross and Shining Armor who realized what was happening. To the townsfolk, humans were still frightening monsters new to their world. They flinched at the sight of normal people let alone the dirty marines that stood before them now. Two distinct groups had formed by now, one side with ponies and the other with marines. The men had cleared the crowd when the ponies swamped the guards asking about friends and family in Baltimare and Ponyville. Disappointed, the marines shambled off towards the residential area of the camp, looking for a decent place to spend the night.

The Ponyville refugee camp 8:32 PM

The warm flame crackled in the welcoming fireplace near cabin three-plot sixteen. Lieutenant Preston Ward sat near his buddies reminiscing about days of old before the war.

"I worked at a textile mill before I joined the corps. Family business and all. Wasn't for me though." Said Ward.

"No way? My older brother works in the clothing business!" Spoke Summer Haze.

The ponies and humans snickered at the humor in that.

"Seriously? Your older brother sews dresses while you do the fighting?" Smirked Sergeant Romero.

"Heh, yeah I guess so. My mom and dad hated the idea of it. As soon as we were attacked I signed right up. They weren't too happy about that one." Summer Haze said, gazing solemnly into the fire pit.

"Aw, don't feel bad. After 9/11, me and Marty over here signed up as soon as we were old enough!" Said Private McCoy.

"9/11?" Asked a pony.

The humans in the group all lowered their heads in respect.

"Fuckin' bastards. Lost my dad that day when the north tower fell." Said Corporal Martin.

"What we're trying to say is, it was a pretty bad day. And that's a big understatement." Said Ward.

It was quiet for bit until the alarming ring of the dinner bell startled the quiet company of soldiers. Long lines formed near tables giving out soup mixed with the most rudimentary of ingredients. Everyone anxiously gathered in line, especially the troops who hadn't eaten since that morning.

"Man, are you guys hungry or what?"

"Hey, quit pushing!"

"Would it kill 'em to season this stuff?"

Despite the less than culinary food displayed in front of them, most of the marines were thankful for the hot meal and ate heartily. Applejack and Rainbow had just received their soup and were choosing a place to sit for their dinner. Naturally, most of the veteran ponies sat with their human comrades while most of the townsfolk avoided them altogether. War was a new concept to most of these ponies and the fact that these new visitors were no strangers to the idea was rather frightening.

Save three ecstatic fillies.

"Hey Applejack, can we sit with your human friends?" Asked Applebloom.

Applejack glanced over at her allies sitting in old picnic tables talking up a storm and spinning yarns that most of the troops found hilarious and heart-warming in this time of great sorrow and sacrifice. She had truly grown onto her new friends. Maybe even more so than her mare-friends back home in Ponyville. She sat on that thought for a moment. She felt that those battle-hardened killers eating only a few yards away from her knew her better than Twilight or anypony else for that matter.

"Sure sis. Comin' Rainbow?" Said Applejack.

"Yeah hold on Applejack! C'mon Scootaloo you gotta meet this one guy. He says his brother is a 'pilot' and totally knows his way around flying. This one time..."

Rainbow Dash's voice trailed off in the distance as she led the young Pegasus towards another table.

"Well girls, looks like it's just the three of us." Said Applejack as she trotted over to the table, tray in mouth.

The three trotted over to the table, getting the attention of the rowdy soldiers.

"Well look who it is! Looks like the cowpony has graced us with her presence guys!" Said Corporal Wilcox.

The marines and ponies laughed and inched over, making room for Applejack.

"What's this? Looks like we have some visitors!" Noted Ward.

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom nervously kicked the ground with their hooves, slightly regretting their decision to sit with these soldiers.

"Yep. This here's mah' sister Applebloom and her friend Sweetie Belle." Said Applejack.

"Hi..."

"H..hello..."

They both replied sheepishly.

The troops looked at eachother and started laughing.

"C'mon, don't be shy! Hey Jacobs, scoot over and let the girls in!" Said Yellowstar.

Smiling, Jacobs inched over and welcomingly patted the empty space next to him. The two fillies quickly filled the empty space and inspected each soldier carefully. Applejack's mane was tangled and no longer in it's original style. It dangled messily under her dusty, stained Stetson. Her fur was dirty and missing small patches of fur where there were clearly visible battle scars.

"Wow Applejack. What happened to you?" Asked Sweetie Belle.

Applejack could only give Sweetie the same answer they all did when somepony asked them.

"This war happened." She said dismally.

The one known as Jacobs had a long scar running from his eye down to his upper lip.

"What gave you that shiner?" Asked Applebloom.

Jacobs laughed and leaned in close to the table, prompting everyone else to do so as well. He put on his best storyteller face and began speaking in a dramatic, low tone.

"It happened back in Baltimare. I was up in a bell tower with my spotter taking potshots with the M40 at changelings moving in the rubble when I heard a low growl behind me! It was a changeling bruiser! You know, the big ones that really like to pound you into dust. He jumped me and my buddy and slashed me right in the eye! I fell back, and just when I thought I was gonna buy the farm, my spotter wacked him on the back of the head with the butt of his rifle. Now, I don't know if It fazed him at all but it sure did piss him off! He turned on my friend and pinned him to the ground. Right before he got his face crushed in I jumped up, and with every last ounce of strength I had left, pushed that brute right off the tower. KER-SPLAT!" He explained.

"COOL!" Both fillies shouted, surprising most of the soldiers at the table.

"Did it hurt?" Asked Applebloom.

Jacobs snorted and replied brashly.

"Nope. Not one bit."

At the other end of the table, Private Carmichael snorted and spoke under his breath.

"Hmph. Showoff." He smirked, taking a swig of soup from his near-empty bowl.

"Oh yeah? I'd like to see you tell a better story!" Said Jacobs.

"Ha! That's all that is. A story. You wanna know how this joker REALLY got that?" Said Carmichael.

Jacobs began subtly shaking his head and desperately waving his hands.

"AFTER the battle, he was carrying a sack of potatoes to division headquarters when he tripped and fell. This nincompoop almost took his eye out on a fencepost." Carmichael chortled.

Everyone stifled a laugh at the private's explanation, causing Jacobs to go back to eating his soup and mutter profane words under his breath.

Ponyville refugee camp 11:46 PM

Rainbow Dash and Applejack had chosen to share a tent on the southern side of the camp. Unpacking their bivouacking gear, the two had conversed about the days events leading up to now.

"So, how's your sister?" Asked Rainbow.

"She's doin' great. So's Granny Smith." Applejack said, unfurling her blanket.

"Hey, you know who I didn't see though? Where's your brother, Big Mac?"

Applejack sighed, obviously showing effects of troubling thoughts flowing into her mind.

"He was enlisted into the militia not long after this here camp was formed. He's seeing action outside Appleloosa right now." She said.

Seeing her question had gotten a little personal, Rainbow tried to change the subject.

"Wow, kinda sucks we don't get beds, huh?" She complained.

"Heh, yeah. The refugees need those though." Said Appleajck.

They both simultaneously yawned and, after a quick laugh, realized it was getting late and they would have to get to sleep if they wanted to be energized for tomorrow's march to Canterlot.

"Well, G'night."

"Good night."

The lamp was doused and snoring soon filled the entire plot of tents as the soldiers of Equestria slept soundly, unaware of the events to come.

Canterlot 2:34 PM

With news of Shining Armor's ponies and the incoming arrival of the United States marines, the whole city was overtaken with a surge of relief. More soldiers meant more protection for their families and friends. Meanwhile, the occupying Russians had sandbagged the entire outer walls covering every inch of exposed area with barbed wire and defensive barricades. Impressive checkpoints had been set up all over the city outskirts adorned with large machine gun posts and guard towers. To the passing ponies, these new weapons were both frightening and exciting, showcasing the might of Equestria and her allies to all foreign passerbys.

The only downside were the Russians themselves.

"Привет Дмитрий, посмотрите на пони говорить!" Said a Russian grenadier casually strolling up to a fruit stand and snatching a golden delicious apple off the cart.

"Hey! You have to pay for that you hooligans!" Said an uptight vendor dressed in classy clothing.

"Пошел на хуй пони." Replied the man, walking off and taking a particularly large bite from the apple.

"Humph! Riff Raff!" Shouted the defeated vendor.

Grefreiter Pyotr Orlovsky watched from a distance and shook his head at the despicable display of power abuse within the ranks of his own military. He was a soldier of Russia, not a thieving mercenary. Feeling pity for the vendor, Pyotr approached the wronged pony and reached in his pocket for the 'bits' he had picked up off the ground in the past few days.

"Oh no, please don't steal from me! I-I'll call the guard!" The panicked pony cried.

"Relax, I'm not going to take anything from you." Pyotr said, handing the jingling coins to the vendor.

"Oh! Well, thank you kind sir. Nice to see some of you humans know some manners. And such fine linguistics! Where did you learn to speak such good Equestrian? All I hear day-in-day-out is that foreign jargon you and your comrades insist on blabbering. No offense." The pony said.

"Heh, none taken. I know nothing of 'Equestrian', but my father insisted I learn English. Turns out those online classes actually paid off huh?" Chuckled Pyotr.

"Well, regardless of whatever an 'online' class is, you have done me a great kindness and shall be repaid as such!" The vendor smiled, hoofing the man a shiny granny smith.

"Thank you, but I cant." Admitted Pyotr.

"Oh, but I insist!"

Pyotr briefly showed the vendor his tongue, a large crack running down the middle.

"I have a geographic tongue. Citric fruits cause my mouth to swell." Admitted Pyotr.

The vendor frowned and placed the apple back in the cart.

"Well, I am sorry I cannot provide you with proper thanks but if it suits you, me and wife would love to have you over for dinner at our house!" Said the vendor.

Considering the offer, Pyotr nodded emphatically. It would definitely be a convenient change from the usual annoyances with his comrades in the company mess hall.

"Great! We shall meet at the corner of Long and Birdwell street at seven. It's the blue house, you cant miss it." Explained the pony.

"Sounds great. It's Pyotr by the way. Pyotr Orlovsky. My name that is." He said, sticking out a hand.

"Nice to meet you. The name's Orion Sparkle!"

The two shook appendages and parted ways, too unmindful of the army forming a mile outside the city defenses.

Canterlot 7:03 PM

The corner of Long and Birdwell was especially busy at this time of night, a large strip mall lying on the adjacent street. Pyotr jogged down the sidewalk looking for a particular pony with the light blue coat. Sure enough, he stood in front of the blue house with a mare carrying grocery bags and mindfully checking the crowds.

"Oh, There he is Dawn!" Orion said.

Pyotr smiled and approached the couple. The mare, obviously intimidated by his tall stature, moved behind Orion and gave a nervous smile.

"Hello, you must be, uh.. Peter?" The mare said.

"Pyotr." Orion corrected.

"Pleased to meet you ma'am. Thank you for having me." Said Pyotr.

"Pyotr, this is my wife Dawn." He said, showcasing his shy partner.

Pyotr knelt down and smiled at the flinching mare.

"Here, why don't I help you with those groceries." He said, reaching for the bags.

Now less daunted by the human, Dawn Sparkle levitated him the bags and spoke happily.

"My my, what a gentlecolt!"

Pyotr stood up and beckoned for them to lead on, but Orion persisted.

"Heh, not just yet Pyotr, we're still waiting on my daughter. Oh, there she is now! She'll be having her friends over as well." He said.

Leaving the shopping mall were four mares, all different colors and conversing about the days events. After waiting for a guard patrol to pass by, they began walking toward the couple and waved happily.

That is, until they saw Pyotr.

"Um, dad? Who is this?" Asked the purple mare.

"Twilight, this is Pyotr Orlovsky. He'll be staying for dinner as well. I owe him after all for doing me a kindness I have yet to repay." Said Orion.

"C'mon you slowpokes, we can't carry these groceries forever y'know!" Said Dawn Sparkle.

Inside, the table was set and Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy sat down to eat with Twilight's parents.

"Sorry it's not much. Money has been tight lately, that's why I was out selling fruit from the garden out back." Apologized Orion.

The first few minutes of dinner consisted of a lot of awkward staring (especially from Pinkie) and involuntary slurping of the mushroom stew being served. Finally, Dawn was able to break the silence.

"So Pyotr, where are you from?" She said, not looking up from her soup.

"I hail from Leningrad. When I was a child, the apartment block I lived in was stricken with poverty. I lost my mother to influenza when I was fourteen. For a while, it was my father sustaining me and my sister until I got a job in a shoe factory. It was tough work but eventually I grew old enough to get out and make a name for myself. I figured what better way to do that than to find a career in the military." Pyotr explained.

It was silent for a while, everypony soaking in the story that Pyotr so easily recounted.

"That's..that's so sad." Fluttershy said, tears forming in her eyes.

Everypony else nodded in solemn agreement.

"Oh please! Don't get so upset on my behalf. Things are much better now that-"

BOOM!

"What was that?" Asked Rarity.

Shouting could be heard in the streets as Russians and guard ponies flew down the sidewalks toward the main barricades at the main gate. General Leonev sprinted through the streets shouting orders.

"Для стен! To the walls!"

Pyotr stood up, slinging his AK-47 strap around his shoulder and switching off the safety, and headed for the front door.

"I need to go! Stay indoors unless someone tells you otherwise!' He ordered.

The serious, concerned glare they received from Pyotr was enough to make them freeze at their seats. In a flash, Pyotr was out the door and following his comrades towards the impending chaos at the outer walls.