• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 5,148 Views, 169 Comments

Camaraderie - walk-in closet brony



"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers." - Francois Fenelon

  • ...
9
 169
 5,148

Chapter 4 (Or more accurately, the chapter in which the manure hits the rotating fan blades)

In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons.

-Herodotus

Ponyville, Equestria 12:01 PM

Through the clear lens of his industrial grade binoculars, captain Ross could observe the changeling line, which had formed about 100 feet from the southern tree-line and about 500 yards away from their positions. He ordered the troops holding the other sides of town to converge toward them in order to strengthen their defenses.

His plan was coming together perfectly.

"Man, these guys are ugly mother fuckers." Ross said.

"What was your brilliant plan again?" Said a quivering Shining Armor.

"They expect us to come out there and fight them like line infantry, but we've got something else in mind. In a few minutes, I'm gonna order Sgt. Courtland to start dropping rounds on their lines with the mortars. It'll either scare 'em off or force them to come at us. Right into the iron sights of my SAW gunners and your unicorns. Either way, we inflict heavy casualties on them. I just hope they choose to run rather charge our defenses."

"Sounds pretty foolproof. We just can't afford any retreats on our behalf. We'll need everyone to hold their position if we're gonna keep these guys at bay." Said Shining Armor in a worried tone.

"That's what I'm hoping doesn't happen. Jack! Sight in the main changeling line and open fire!" Ordered Ross.

"Aye skipper! Martin, targets are 500 yards out! Load HE rounds and adjust 32 degrees north!" Yelled sergeant Courtland.

The four mortar teams began setting their mortars to the correct coordinates and notified Courtland they had finished with a simple word that meant they were ready to fire.

"Hanging!"

"Hanging!"

"Hanging!"

"Hanging!"

The four squads each had one man holding a high explosive round in his hand over the receiving end of the mortar and another soldier with the mortar sight ready to adjust coordinates in order to more effectively hit their target after each shot.

All Jack Courtland had to do to start the bloodbath was say one little word.

"Fire!"

__________________________________________________________________

Equestria, Ponyville 12:03 PM

Hive member 30,262 stood ready and able in his formation, eager to kill in the name of the queen. Both humans and those wretched ponies.

"Prepare to charge!" Yelled the captain.

The changeling could see the humans and ponies were waiting in small holes dug in the ground.

Ha. They're too scared to fight us. None can withstand the might of the changelings! He thought to himself.

Just then, he could hear a single voice rise over all the others. What was odd, was that he could hear it over the yelling and screaming of his own comrades let alone the ponies on the other side.

"Fire"

The others heard it too, noted by the fact that they'd shut up for a second in order to locate the source of the voice.

Instead, they got a faint whistle.

Hive member 30,262 looked up and saw nothing but heard plenty. Deafening explosions could be heard down the formation as the changeling line lit up in a fiery storm. In the short time he had, he counted how many he heard.

1...

2...

3...

Boom!

Hive member 30,262 was blown upward and landed on the ground with a messy thud. Burnt and scared, he counted the last explosion off as the light left his eyes forever.

____________________________________________________

Equestria, Ponyville 12:04 PM

All down the line, Ross could hear the entire division whooping and cheering at the sight set before them. The ponies though, including Shining Armor, just gawked. They had obviously never seen firepower like this before and were stunned at the display of it.

"So many... dead." Said Shining Armor, trailing off as he gazed at the fallen enemy soldiers.

Ross looked over and felt pity for him. He'd obviously never seen carnage like this before.

And we're just gettin' started. He thought to himself.

"Come on. Come on. Run you dumbshits, RUN." Ross said, looking through his binoculars.

The changeling lines didn't even waver and instead reformed by filling in the empty spots left by their previous owners. They had as much gusto as ever and this time had a renewed intensity. They were now on an over-zealous mission to avenge their fallen comrades.

"Aw shit here they come!" Yelled a soldier.

The changeling army was now drawing ever closer. Ross could hear Courtland's men firing their mortars and witnessed the deadly effect they had afterward.

"Hanging!"

"Fire!"

Thump

Boom!

It was rinse and repeat for the mortar squads.

Ross got on his radio and input the coordinates for a separate channel.

The sniper team in the bell-tower.

"Jacobs? You there?"

"Yes sir, I read ya'." Replied the spotter.

"See the bastards with the helmets? Those are changeling officers. Target them."

"Yes sir."

Moments later, Ross and Shining Armor heard a few pops from the tower and looked yonder.

The changeling officers were dropping like flies.

"How are you doing that?" Asked Shining Armor.

"Our weapons fire tiny, metal projectiles built to pierce flesh from a distance. Jacobs' M40 can hit a target up to 1000 yards away with deadly accuracy." Explained Ross.

"My M4A1 has less range, but I can still take down any of those changeling sum-bitches you throw my way."

"Wow." Said Shining Armor, now terribly afraid of the humans killing capabilities and once again thanking Celestia they were on their side. All his soldiers had were small, 3 foot long retractable lances built onto their breastplate.

To their surprise, a flash of green flew over their heads and exploded violently into the building behind them, leaving a distinct burn mark in the center of impact. Shouts could be heard from the foxholes as hundreds of these green projectiles whooshed overhead.

"Oh shit! No one said they could shoot back!" shouted Corporal Dixon.

"Must've missed the memo!" Yelled the pony next to him.

Ross grabbed his M4 and, alongside Shining Armor, hauled ass into the nearest foxhole.

"Keep your heads down!" Yelled Sgt. Avery.

Private Jameson was hit right between the eyes and fell back dead, his pony counterpart looking on in horror. Jameson's face had been brutally melted by the searing heat of the plasma burst from the changeling that fired it.

First casualty of the day. Ross thought with grim dissatisfaction.

Shining Armor looked over to his right and watched one of his guard ponies, a pegasus, get her head taken clean off by a plasma round. It proved too much to bear for the human ally in the foxhole with her as he began vomiting uncontrollably.

"Oh shit, we're gonna fuckin' die here!" Yelled an anonymous marine.

"Steady boys, hold your fire! Let 'em get close!" Ross shouted over the din of battle.

"Unicorns, prepare to fire on my command!" Shining Armor commanded.

The marines and ponies both tensed their weapons and prepared to return fire.

The changelings were about a hundred yards away now, the mortar teams having stopped firing because they were so close.

"Steady. STEADY. All right let 'em have it!" Yelled Ross.

"Unicorns, FIRE!" Ordered Shining Armor.

The outer defenses erupted in bursts of fire from the marines and unicorns. The combined firepower of the marine rifleman, SAW gunners, and unicorns felled hundreds of changelings in less than a few seconds.

Somewhere in the middle of the chaos, Corporal Higgins and Yellow Star were returning fire with ferocious intensity.

"Holy shit that's a lot of changelings!" Yelled Higgins as he emptied the clip in his M4A1.

"I know just keep shooting!" Shouted Yellow Star, firing burst after burst of his recently learned lethal spells.

Higgins looked to his side and smiled.

"Hey ha- hoof me those!"

"What these? Okay!"

Yellow Star levitated the grenades in Higgins' direction, who managed to catch the small box.

"You said you wanted to see what these did? Well here's your chance!" Shouted Higgins as he pulled the pin.

Higgins and a couple others began chucking grenades out of their foxholes, much to the surprise of the ponies.

"Why are they throwing rocks?!"

"They've gone mad!"

Yellow Star seemed especially concerned seeing as though he seemed to be missing the "highly explosive" part of the equation.

"Think they're duds?" He said worriedly

Higgins grinned cleverly.

"Just wait a little bit longer..." He said earnestly.

All at once, smaller explosions could be heard along the line as the grenades exploded with a short loud bang, followed by the screams of pain from the changelings that were maimed and not killed.

"Ha Ha! That's how you do it!" Said Lance Corporal Childers, pumping his fist in the air.

Ignoring the hailstorm of fire, the changelings continued their bum-rush toward the Equestrian defenses.

"These guys just don't know when to quit!" Yelled Yellow Star.

"Uh, they're gettin' way too close for comfort!" Shouted Cpl. Rivera in the next foxhole over.

Sgt. Campo stood up to yell at the corporal.

"Just keep shooting and they wont get any-"

Campo was cut down before he could finish his sentence.

"ARRGHH Shit! That hurts like a mother fucker!"

Campo lay wounded on the ground while the pony next to him tried to drag him back into his foxhole.

"AT-4's! Use your AT-4's!" Shouted Sgt. Cumberland.

"Right, the AT-4's. I almost forgot about those things." Said Higgins.

"What in Celestia's name is an AT-4?" Asked Yellow Star, felling a changeling with his spell burst.

"This!" Said Higgins as he lugged the monster over his shoulder.

Yellow Star and the rest of the guards witnessed at least 20 other humans arm themselves with an AT-4.

"Eat shit!" Yelled Pvt. McConnell as he pulled the trigger on his AT-4.

Once again the humans displayed their superior firepower, and once again the changelings continued on in furious determination.

"How have you guys not lost a war?" Asked Yellow Star.

"I'll catch you up later but for now- Oh crap they're getting closer!" Said Higgins.

The changeling infantry were now yards, feet, inches away from the defenses. They were now clearly discernible from their current locations. Some had horns, some had wings. Some were about the size of an earth pony and some were abnormally large. Larger than the tallest human. The marines and ponies braced themselves for hand-to-hoof-to-hoof combat.

"Oh shit!"

"Here they come!"

"For the ruling sisters!"

The changeling infantry pounded into the marines and ponies without remorse. Higgins' and Yellow Star's foxhole was instantly overwhelmed by changelings.

"Oh Fuck!"

"What the hay?"

The two were taken aback at the changelings that pounced on them and immediately began to fight back with whatever they had. Higgins drew his combat knife and began slashing away at changeling flesh while Yellow Star pierced everything he could with his battle-lance. But their fight was drowned out in the sea of death that raged around them.

Ross and Shining Armor were quite busy as well. Three changelings had stumbled across their trench and were already trying to hack and slash their enemies to death. Ross emptied his clip into two of them while Shining Armor bucked one in the chest and head until he heard the sick confirmation of broken bones and a fractured skull.

"Fuckers are everywhere!" Yelled Ross.

"We need to move to the outer defenses and help anyway we can!" Said Shining Armor.

"Sounds like a plan."

The two set off toward the sounds of chaos, unsure of what they were about to walk into.

The two rounded the corner of a small fruit stand and immediately realized the true scope of the battle around them. The changelings had broken through their lines and were locked in brutal, gory close combat with their own soldiers. The first thing Ross could see was Sgt. Avery struggling on his back, his face about to be crushed by a pair of changeling hooves.

"Oh shit, Richard!" Yelled Ross, bringing his M4 up to his shoulder and pulling the trigger.

'Click'

The chamber was empty. He never bothered to reload after killing those two back there. Stupid, stupid. He was too afraid to look up from the his gun, unsure whether his friend would still be alive.

He glanced up.

Avery was on his feet and sticking another changeling with his knife. Ross was astonished.

But I was sure that- Ross looked over and noticed a panting Shining Armor, horn pointed toward the now dead changeling.

"He was going to kill your friend, so I took the shot." He said, not taking his eyes off his kill.

"Thanks." Said Ross.

On that note, the two charged into the fight armed with courage, weapons, and the most fearsome battle-crys ever uttered.

_______________________________________________________

Equestria, Ponyville 12:38 PM

"Retreat!"

Whatever was left of the changeling captains ordered a full retreat. The ponies and the marines had done it. They were able to beat back an opposing force two times their size.

"Yeah that's right! Run you little punks!" Yelled Pvt. Samson.

"And don't come back!" Said the guard pony next to him.

The two soldiers slouched back into their foxholes ignoring the dead changeling next to them, his brain matter seeping out of the gaping hole in it's head.

"Shit, that was one hell of a fight huh?" Said Ross to no one in particular.

"Yeah." Said Shining Armor, staring at the scene in front of him.

It was definitely a sight to see. Dead bodies littered the ground around him and the surrounding area. Changeling, pony, and human alike all lay dead on the blood-soaked battlefield. The one he knew as White Frost lay dead in his trench, covered in the gore of the changeling he killed before his stomach was in turn pierced with a lance.

"We should probably get over there and assess the damage. One thing's for sure, I'm gonna have a lot of letters to write home." Ross said glumly as stepped out of the bloody foxhole.

Shining Armor followed suit and immediately regretted doing so. He could easily tell anypony that one of the scariest parts of the battle is the aftermath. And the sounds that accompanied it.

"I need a corpsman over here!"

"We need to amputate this wing or he isn't gonna make it."

"Ian? Anyone seen Ian?"

"Ah! My fuckin' arm!"

The moans of the wounded were everywhere.

But what struck Shining Armor as worth checking out was the faint sobbing he could hear in the distance. Stepping over the bodies and debris, Shining Armor came upon a ghastly sight.

The source of the crying was Pvt. Yellow Star.

He was covered in blood and his combat lance was splintered, the pointed edge embedded in a changeling's side. In the small foxhole lay five dead changelings, Yellow Star, and the limp body of a marine. The human lay on his back, his stomach split open revealing the sickening sight of his innards. His pale face bore a look of pain and sadness. His left hand clutching a bloody picture that of which Shining Armor could barely make out.

"Soldier? Yellow Star? It's over. We won." Coaxed Shining Armor.

Inching closer, the pony captain could hear a low mumbling coming from the traumatized pony.

"I didn't see it... he didn't see it coming... he couldn't have.. how could he have possibly known?" He rambled, on the verge of losing it again.

"It's okay son. It's over."

Shining Armor touched his hoof on the sobbing ponies shoulder.

"I mean, he was alive one moment and then... and then.."

Yellow Star began crying again.

"Easy son, easy. You can rest now." Said Shining Armor.

Captain Ross approached the two, attracted by the ponies sobbing as well.

"You guys alright- Oh shit." Ross said, covering his face with a hand.

"Damn it Higgins you poor son-of-a-bitch." He cursed, bending down and breaking the tags off the dead marine's neck.

"That kid gonna be okay?" Ross asked, gesturing to the crying pony.

"I don't think so."

Ross sighed.

"Take him over to the aid station we have set up in town. I'll handle things here."

Shining Armor trotted out of the foxhole with the soldier, leaving Ross behind with the dead marine.

Sgt. Avery walked by and noticed his weary friend. He jumped into the foxhole, inquiring who it was that had been killed.

"Who's that?"

"It's Higgins." Said Ross in a melancholy voice.

"Shit man. His fuckin' daughter just turned eight last week."

"I know. The pony in here with him looked pretty shaken up about it. I don't blame him." Said Ross.

"He just got a real shitty deal y'know? Just a shitty deal." Said Avery, stepping out of the foxhole and wandering off somewhere else.

Ross was about to do the same when he noticed something in Higgins' hand. Next to his bloodied combat knife, Ross pried open the corporal's dead hand and and wiped off it's contents.

His family photo.

If they could see him now they wouldn't be so happy. Ross thought sadly.

Ross thought about the letter he was going to have to write as he stepped out of the makeshift cover, the bloody picture stuffed in his pocket.

______________________________________________________


Ponyville, Equestria 12:41 PM

The aid station that was set up in Ponyville was actually the abandoned hospital. Some of the loyal orderlies, like one nurse Redheart, opted to stay and treat the wounded for the battle to come. She had her hoofs full with the dead and dying and couldn't keep up with the amount of wounded to tend to.

"Get me more gauze!" She yelled, trying to stop the bleeding for one of the dying marines.

"Oh- shit. I, I ain't gonna.. die.. am I doc?" Asked the soldier between coughs and sputters.

"No. No your not." She tried to say, his own blood showering her body.

"Where's that gauze?" She yelled.

But when she looked down the soldier was already dead.

"Celestia Damn it!" She screamed angrily, pounding her hoof into the table.

Nurse Redheart covered up the soldier and moved onto a pony who's leg had been severed and was losing blood fast, but when she got there, he was already dead too.

__________________________________________________________

Ponyville, Equestria 12:42 PM

Ross stepped into town, wishing he could avoid the horrible sight of the aid station but couldn't. The command post was set up right next to it.

"Damn it. What in gods name was I thinking?" He said out loud.

He walked by, noticing a covered soldier and a few marines gathered around. Curious, Ross went over to take a peek.

"Who's that?" He asked.

"It's lieutenant Mildred sir." Second Lt. Harding deadpanned.

"Aw, shit. Congratulations first Lt. Harding. I've put you in for a field promotion. Carry on." Ross walked away with one more heavy thought in his mind.

One more letter to write home.

__________________________________________________________