• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 6,165 Views, 365 Comments

Has Anyone Ever Loved Me? - DerpyMuffins15



Luna has always been alone in her world, atleast until Twilight came into her life, or so she though

  • ...
31
 365
 6,165

In The Darkness

Once again, Luna was in dreamland, Nightmare deciding not to interrupt it. Luna was in Ponyville again, strolling down a street that lead to the local library. Luna didn't know why, she just wanted to get to the library as fast as she could. As she got closer to the Twilight's house, something shone briefly in Luna's eyes. She twisted her head back to see what it was, only to be blinded by it. The sun in all it’s fiery glory, was staring Luna right in the face. It's blinding light intensified when Luna tried to ignore it. "This is just a dream." complained Luna. "Why would our sister's sun be blinding us in my dream?"

Once again Luna caught what she said, the 'our' instead of mine, she was referring to herself as if she were more than one pony. Luna shrugged off the uncomfortable thought, it just wasn't important right now. Right now, Luna had to get to the library and get to Twilight.

Each step Luna took, the sun's heat and blinding light intensified, the air itself becoming hot around Luna, steam rising from the ground, quickly evaporating any moisture in the ground. The sun’s heat had become atrocious now as the local plantlife burst into flames, whole bushes erupting into great clouds of flame, whilst the grass beneath her very hooves became blackened ash, crunching softly as she walked. As Luna turned her head back to see the ash, she saw her own hoof steps burned into the gravel. Where Luna had stepped, where now scorched imprints. "Just a few more steps." said Luna. She was a mere ten feet away from the lavender mare's house.

Luna finally reached her destination, the welcoming shade of Twilight Sparkle’s tree home. Remembering her manners, Luna knocked first, even though the sun was now burning marks into her coat, the leaves of the tree home raining down softly like soft snow. The door slowly opened to reveal an empty house. Well at least an empty living room. Luna slowly stepped inside, as she did not want to look like an intruder.

As the Alicorn stepped inside, she noticed something wrong. Everything in Twilight's house was wrong. Everything was still there, Luna just felt that something was off about the house. It radiated hate, where protection should have been. Despair, when compassion was missing. And finally loneliness. Just loneliness.

Luna wanted to get out of the terrible house as fast as her long legs could carry her. But she had made her way here in the blinding glare of her sister's sun for a reason. She had to see her savior, even if it was just a dream, Luna still had to see Twilight.

"He-hello?" squeaked Luna. She could barely make a sound. Fear was now gripping her heart once again. "Are you here Twilight? And where is your dragon, Spike?" Questioned Luna. No one answered, it was just Luna and the dark feelings. Even with the blinding light outside, Luna now noticed that the house itself, was in complete darkness. No candles to the stairway. No lanterns or light source to indicate something was there. Even the fireplace was dead.

That was the right word, dead. Everything in Twilight's house was dead. Everything. Nothing carried the same emotions Luna felt the last time she was here. But Luna had to make sure Twilight wasn’t here. What if someone had held Twilight upstairs and she was gagged? What if she had slipped and fallen? What if Twilight was injured? These questions now raced in Luna's mind. She was worried that Twilight was hurt and couldn't call for help.

Luna took another step inside Twilight's house and almost fell to the ground. Luna was assailed by the dark feelings, all of them dragging Luna down. Literally. Luna could barely stand, and each step she took only made it worse. Each time Luna took a step, terrible memories would flash through her mind. Each step, popped a memory where Luna was hated. One where her own people refuse to even look at her without disgust on their faces.

Another when she was shunned by ponies who hated her night. Each time she brought out her moon and night, ponies just upright ignored it and waited for her sister to bring the sun and morning they cherished. Each time getting worse and worse as Luna sank lower towards her spiraling downfall into the darkness.

And finally a memory when Luna was Nightmare. It was a bad memory that Luna didn't want to relive. A memory Luna never wanted to remember again, sadly her mind had other ideas.

Her mind started to play tricks with Luna as her memories flashed before her. Her eye’s were on the verge of tears as she dreaded the last memory the darkness would make Luna relive. As she tried in vain to block out the overflowing memories, it turned into a futile attempt as the darkness overpowered and diminished what fighting chance Luna had left. The surroundings of the treehouse started to shift and change as Luna found herself to be in her room again. Next to her was Celestia with a worried look on her face. Luna could feel everything around her, but didn’t seem to be able to move any part of her body. Her mind quickly race to remember what memory the darkness decided to taunt Luna with.

Twas on the eve of the night Luna turned into Nightmare. Celestia was next to Luna sitting in her room. Her sister tried to comfort Luna, but it never worked.

"Luna, please, give no weight to the words of our people. Your nights are just as important as my days." said the Solar Goddess.

"Why are they important?" asked Luna. Her head was down. She couldn't look in Celestia eyes. The comforting eyes. The despair she felt wouldn't allow her.

"Your nights are important because......" Celestia trailed off. She couldn't even find a single reason to give her depressed sister.

"That's what we thought sister. Not even you can find a use for our night. We are just an inconvenience to thee and our subjects." Said Luna, her hate and anger for her sister was now building up inside. She couldn't stand her sister anymore, Celestia always got everything Luna wished she could have. The ponies of Equestria loved Celestia and were willing to do anything for the pony that brought the sun that warmed their homes. Others blamed Luna for everything bad that happened during the night. Everything bad that has ever happened in Equestria has always been Luna's fault.

No one would question that their Solar Princess wasn't perfect. That's what everypony thought of her sister ‘perfect’. Everything Celestia does is always perfect. Even when the fault belonged to Celestia, ponies just outright blamed Luna for it.

"Lulu, please don't feed these dark feelings you feel. I know what they are and you shouldn't be feeling them." Retorted Celestia changing the subject.

"How do know these feelings if you never felt them? How do you know the hate I feel everyday from the ponies I try to rule? When was the last time a pony looked at you and didn't want to do nothing more than hang you at the stake? When has anyone ever hated you?" Returned Luna with a bitter attitude.

"Yes, I have never felt these emotions, but-" started Celestia.

"But nothing sister. You have always been in the light whilst we’re always in your shadow. You say that everything will get better, but they never do. Things never get better for us. They only get better for you. Nopony appreciates US!" Snarled Luna, unable to hide her anger and hate for her sister inside anymore. Luna wanted to snap at her sister.

"Us? Why do you keep speaking like that?" Celestia asked, suspicion written on her face.

"If you ever cared about me, you would have known by now. Just get out sister. Get out. I don't want to see you right now." Said Luna. She used her magic and levitated her sister off the bed and towards the door.

"Lulu, wait!" said Celestia. Before she could react, the door slammed shut and locked.

Tears trickled down Luna’s dry and burnt, ash covered coat, the memory pained Luna more than anything. It was when Celestia tried to offer Luna help and comfort, but all Luna could do was turn the help away and slam the door in the face of the only pony who cared about her. Luna shuddered at the horrible memory, unable to stand any longer, her knees gave way and she fell to the cold hardwood floor.

Then out of the shadows stepped a familiar face. Twilight was on the top flight of stairs, looking down on Luna. "Twilight, you are safe! We are glad you are not hurt." said Luna weakly. Once again she used the Royal We. But, Luna didn’t notice, sensing that something was off about the lavender mare. She tried weakly to stand, but was pushed down immediately by the daunting feelings the darkness sent her way again. As much as the feelings hurt, Luna had to get to Twilight and to double check that the unicorn was alright. The Alicorn could barely manage to stay on her hooves, walking being impossible for her right now. She did not need to as Twilight approached her.

Twilight stepped closer to Luna, the warmth and love that usually radiated off the lavender mare, came now as hate and disgust. The look on Twilight's face showed that Luna was an unwelcome guest.

"Twilight, did We do something wrong?" Asked Luna fearfully. ‘What could I have done to make her treat me with such resentment?’

"Why are you here?" sneered Twilight, her voice laced with venom.

"We don't understand." said Luna weakly as she tried to get back up.

"Ponies like you don't belong here." Said Twilight her voice growing angry.

"Ponies like me?" Asked Luna.

There out of the shadows stepped in her sister Celestia. The look on her face showed nothing but utter hate and contempt as she stood besides her student.

"Tia? What are you doing here?" Asked Luna, looking fearfully at her older sister. The look in Celestia's eyes was not of care and compassion, she had been receiving since her return. Celestia’s eyes showed nothing but an unbridled hatred, as if Luna herself was a monstrous evil that needed to be extinguished.

"I'm here to protect my student from creatures like you!" snapped Celestia. She spread her wing and covered Twilight behind a protective barrier.

"Creatures like me?" squeaked Luna. ‘What have I done wrong?’

"Monsters. That's what you are and always will be. You don't deserve to live, let alone feel the love of my student. Stay away from her. Monsters like you need to stay in the darkness where you belong." Shouted Celestia down at the helpless Alicorn.

"Mo-monsters like me?" Luna slowly repeated. She couldn't process what her sister just said. Celestia, her own loving and caring sister, had just called Luna a monster.

"I would rather have Nightmare Moon as a sister. Better yet, I wish I was an only child. Then I wouldn't be related to you." Celestia retorted.

Now it was Twilight's turn to bombard Luna with the hatred. She stuck her head out from Celestia's wing and looked Luna right in the eyes. "I wish I had never saved you. It was a mistake. How could I ever have been friends with a monster like you." Spat Twilight, with such hate and revulsion, it made Luna cringe to look at her.

Luna just stood there, taking each and every, blunt accusation. When finally she could take no more, Her knees buckled and she fell with both the weight of their words and dark feelings they were radiating.

Then it all stopped. Everything vanished and was replaced with the darkness again. Luna remembered some of the words the only ponies that cared for her said. "Monster," repeated Luna. "Is that all they see me as? A being that is worst than nothing? Am I just nothing? Do I even deserve Twilight's love?" Asked Luna silently.

Fresh tears now started pouring down Luna's cheeks. She didn’t know why crying felt right. It just did, like it could temporarily take away the dark feelings. All she wanted to do was cry out her sadness and depression. So thats what she did, how long, Luna could remember. She just sat down and wept quietly. Her sorrow filled tears slowly dripped their way down her cheeks before vanishing completely into nothingness.

The darkness, her best friend at the worst of times and worst enemy at the best. Whenever Luna had managed to pull herself out of it, the darkness always found a way to reel Luna back in. Luna's love for Twilight had pulled her out from the clutches of the darkness. It was good while it lasted, before Luna had this dream. Now, once again, the darkness was her home. As much as Luna wanted to get away, it was inevitable. The darkness was her prison as much as it was her home.

There was one hope in the darkness that Luna never expected. It was the hope that Nightmare will save her. A false hope that maybe Nightmare can make it all better, like she did before. Maybe she could do what she did before and take all of this away. To just take away everything, her sorrows, fears and tears.

The hope rang true, after a few more moments, Nightmare now stood next to her. Luna opened her tear stained eyes to look at the blurry Alicorn. Nightmare stared down at Luna, not with hate or anger like the other two ponies, but with sadness and worry. The look in her eyes was an ocean of pure concern for Luna. It was a first for both Alicorns.

"You don't have to say anything Luna. I saw it all. I am sorry," Said Nightmare as she sat down next to Luna.

Luna felt warmth again as her alter ego comforted her. It was just like the first time she had gone down this path. Someone tried to comfort her, and Luna just simply turn the help away. This time it would be different. This time, someone understood the pains Luna was in.

"You came Nightmare?" Asked Luna shaking, her body started to tremble again.

"Of course I did Luna." Said Nightmare sympathetically. "I am truly sorry. Now I know why you want Twilight to love you. You want to get away from this. You want to get away from the darkness."

Luna just gave a nod as Nightmare's wing once again covered her. Nightmare's darkness felt different than the surrounding darkness. It felt safe, while the other one just wanted to hurt Luna. She just wanted to sit there, with the Nightmare, and let her comfort Luna.

"Stop the tears Luna, they are not you. I know what the darkness is trying to do to you, and I am truly sorry, but you must try to ignore it. I shall deal with it as much as I can. You need not worry Luna, I will hold the darkness at bay as long as I can for you," Said Nightmare protectively.

"Thank you, Nightmare, you're the only one I can trust." whispered Luna.

"You know that is not true. You have our sister, Celestia to talk to." Said Nightmare, the mention of the Solar Goddess left a bitter aftertaste for her. But this was something Luna needed. She needed someone to talk to, to confine herself in. As much as Nightmare loathed Celestia, she needed to put aside her personal feelings for Luna's well-being.

Luna finally finding her voice, barely managed a whisper."She can't help me like you can Nightmare. She doesn't understand the pain I am going through, but you do. You have gone through the pain with me, always being there when I need you. Tia can't help me if she doesn't know what's wrong with me."

Nightmare was the one surprised for once. Luna was opening up quickly to Nightmare. Like she just said, Nightmare understood what Luna was going through. But why did Luna trust Nightmare more than their own sister now?

"Why are you trusting me so easily Luna? You have known me to be a heartless wretch, who cares only for herself. Why do trust me with so much, in so little time?" Questioned Nightmare.

Luna just answered Nightmare like she knew the right thing to say before she said it. She just felt like the answers have always been there, just unasked.

"It is because you care for me Nightmare. You have gone through the same ordeal that I have. Tia can't say the same. She has never been in the darkness like you or me. She can't understand me like you. You love and care for me Nightmare. That is something that has always been foreign to me. Now here I am, sitting next to a pony that has done nothing but care for me. Thats why I trust you, because you have always cared about me. You never look down at me, or show me the dark emotions like the darkness has."

This was becoming too much of a déjà vu. Only last night had Luna gone through with questioning Nightmare about her change. Now it was Nightmare's turn. Now she knew something is off.

"Do you really mean it Luna? Do you really see me in that way?" Asked Nightmare. She didn't know what was happening to her. She was a killing tyrant that blackened the sky with darkness and filled the land with monsters of the night. Now it seemed that Nightmare is someone who cared for Luna and tried everything in her power to protect the young Alicorn.

"I do." said Luna without hesitation. She was sure of everything she just said. Even the parts she didn't even know she knew about.

Nightmare was silent, mentally going over every aspect of herself. ‘How much have I changed? Why have I changed in such a way? And why have I changed for the better?’ These were questions that Nightmare would have to investigate later. Right now, she had to deal with Luna's problems.

The background started to fizzle out, the darkness that surrounded both alicorns blurred and became a mix of colors as they returned to the waking world. They were sitting on the bed again, back in Luna's room. But something caught Luna's eye as they phased back into reality. There on the other side of Nightmare was a pile of paper and parchment, littered with ink and quills.

"Why is there parchment on my bed?" asked Luna.

"Its the backed up paperwork which I have been trying to sorting through." Answered Nightmare.

"You can use magic? I thought you couldn't with your body gone." Returned Luna worried that Nightmare might try something dastardly.

"Very basic magic, yes. The most complex magic I can use is levitation without losing control of this form. Anything else, and I phase out of reality and back into the darkness." Nightmare explained.

"What is on the parchments Nightmare?" asked Luna as she levitated the single sheet to her face. It was the tax reduction law that had been sent to Luna and had been awaiting her approval seal for the past month. She thought she had lost the document during her late nights trying to catch up on paperwork.

"I'm doing paperwork, believe it or not. You really shouldn't procrastinate Luna." Nightmare admonished her, noting her bad habits.

"It is not my fault equestrian law has changed over the last millennium We have been gone." Whined Luna. It was like she was a little filly again and was being blamed for a stupid mistake.

"Excuses, Luna. You cannot always hid behind them. But I will admit, this paperwork does require a great deal of time. If anything, I think that's our one and true weakness. Paperwork. We can live for the rest of time, and there will always be a mountain of paperwork to be done." Joked Nightmare.

The poor joke brought a smile to Luna's face again. This time, Nightmare felt something inside her swell. She felt...happy to see Luna smile. Like it brought her joy to know that Luna was happy. What was happening to the wicked mare?

Nightmare's train of thought was interrupted by a sound of rumbling. It was coming from Luna. Her stomach rumbled for she had skipped breakfast sleeping in.

"Guess I shouldn't have skipped breakfast." Said Luna meekly, now realising how famished she was.

"No you should not. You're still a growing alicorn Luna. You need to eat, worry not about this petty work." Said Nightmare as she levitated another scroll from the nightstand to the bed.

"Go down to the dining halls Luna. Get something to eat, while I finish this tax return. There isn't much left, I shall join you shortly." Said Nightmare.

"Are you sure you don't need any help?" Asked Luna. But once again her stomach rumbled and it answered her question for her.

"Yes, I am sure. Go and find something to eat Luna, I shall be fine." Said Nightmare.

"Alright." said Luna as he walked out her door. She quietly closed it behind her, while her hoof steps echo with each step she took.

Now that Luna was gone, Nightmare returned to her earlier thoughts. The happiness she felt when she saw Luna smile. The joy to know that Luna wasn't in anguish. Nightmare didn't know what to make of it. What had happened to her?


Author's Note: Hey guys, here is the new and improved chapter 2. Yea, it takes that long just to revise a chapter. Aside from my own usual deterring on my terrible skills as a writer, I feel bad for you guys. I left you guys hang for such a long time. The next chapter won't be up for a while. How much longer, I don't know. Maybe not that much. Btw, Happy Birthday to my editor. Go enjoy yourself Tonto, you earned it. As for me, I'll give you guys some foreshadowing. This story is turning into a drama with maybe a weak romance story. So? What a better way to add drama than to add a dramatic pony to the mix. No the pony will not be Rarity (no matter how dramatic she is). Still with me? If you are, chapter 3 will include a certain Draconequus we all love.