• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 6,164 Views, 365 Comments

Has Anyone Ever Loved Me? - DerpyMuffins15



Luna has always been alone in her world, atleast until Twilight came into her life, or so she though

  • ...
31
 365
 6,164

Apple

Silence, just awkward, stoic, continuous silence. The two soaked mares walked in the blinding rainstorm, with nothing but the fur on their backs, or at least one of them is. Twilight looked at the cozy mare beside her to find that the black veil was back on, it had magically repaired itself, and covered her bloodstained coat. Twilight on the other hoof, wasn’t so lucky, as her coat darkened to the same shade as her eyes, a crystal amethyst. The showmare remained warm and dry under her phantom shroud whilst Twilight wished she packed an umbrella. ‘Mental note, remember to bring an umbrella during a thunderstorm.’

“Trixie, we aren’t gonna walk all the way to Canterlot are we? It’s over several hundred miles away, the train stations are closed and teleporting in this kind of storm is suicidal.” warned the Solar student.

“Don’t you think I know that? Of course we aren’t going to walk there, I’m just looking for the eye.” answer the showmare as she looked to the skies. All anyone could see was pitch black when the clouds covered the light that would have shined through, but for Trixie, this was an easy task. Where the old Royal Castle used to stand, a lazy beam of moonlight shined on the grim ruins. If traveling to the middle of the Everfree Forest was difficult before, it would now be impossible with the gale force winds that blew.

“Are you kidding me?! Why would you try looking for the eye?!” asked the amethyst mare loudly just so her voice can be heard through the storm. She looked towards the direction the showmare faced and was appalled with fear. “You’re not considering going into the Everfree at night, in a storm, as we are running out of time?!”

“Indeed I do. In the eye, I shall gather enough lightning for a transportation spell.” answered the showmare calmly.

“LIGHTNING?! Are you out of your mind?!” screamed the amethyst mare as they both neared the forbidden forest. If it was possible, the lightning storm manage to make the dark shadows even eerier. The trees swayed back and forth from the blinding winds, threatening to topple over if the storm got any worse.

“It is the fastest way to travel during a thunderstorm. Any magic I use to transporting us through the charged pathways will atomize us. There will be too much interference for a normal teleportation spell, but this is the next best thing.” answered the showmare as she entered the Everfree followed shortly by the Solar student.

“I know we don’t have much time, but to travel by the method of lightning, that’s kind of extreme Trixie. We may lose particles of ourselves by doing that! The theories on lightning travel are still theoretical! Not only could we lose part of bodies, but our brainwaves can be directly affect by the amount of electricity in our bodies. Our nervous systems run on electrical impulses, Trixie, if we get fried with this spell, it won’t just kill.” reputed the amethyst mare.

“Can’t you see that I am a desperate mare?! My mistress doesn’t have long! If I get fried in the process, so be it. As long as there is a slim chance I can make it back to Canterlot, I’ll take that chance.” answered the showmare.

Not just a few seconds later, a branch snapped from a large oak tree. The broken limb was thrown like a ragdoll towards the two blinded mares, Trixie being in front. It wasn’t her magic that saved the showmare, but the magic from amethyst mare beside her. A bright fuchsia aura formed into a blade and sliced the log, splitting it in two as it tumbled to the ground. Trixie may have been more powerful than Twilight, or at least her equal, but her reaction time wasn’t at par with the amethyst mare, which just added to the anger swelling inside of her.

“Why did you do that? I could have saved myself.” questioned the showmare as she magiced the fallen logs in a different direction and continued on.

“A ‘thank you, Twilight’, would suffice.” retorted the amethyst mare. “You know what, just forget about it, I would expect you to kill me before you thanked me.”

“Finally, something we can agree on.” said the showmare as they neared a stream. It overflowed onto the land, turning the dirt into mud which slowed both mares to a stand still. The lazuli mare stopped dead in her tracks at the sight in front of her. A patch of dirt looked more overflowed than the rest. The amethyst mare didn’t see the sudden stop and bumped head to flank with Trixie.

“Trixie, why are we stopping? You know Luna doesn’t have much time. Come on, we have to keep going.” said the Solar student. Taking the lead, she sidestepped the lazuli mare and walked into the strange mud. Before she knew it, the showmare grew several inches as the lavender mare got shorter and shorter.

“I stopped because there was quicksand in the way.” answered the lazuli mare. She walked around the sandy trap and faced the rushing river.

“Thanks for the warning Trixie, greatly appreciated.” said the amethyst mare as she blinked herself out. Her once clean hooves were covered in mud and sand, slowing her down every step she took. “Well, atleast we are near a river. I can wash my hooves then.” She took a step forward before the showmare’s voice, silent and serious, warned her.

“Twilight, don’t move a muscle. There is something in the water and it’s moving.” said the lazuli mare as she continued to scan the rushing waters for any other signs of danger.

“That’s probably just Steve Magnet. My friends and I found him during our first trip to the old ruins. He is a nice fellow, couldn’t hurt a fly. Heck, he might break a nail, so I doubt he would even consider swatting a fly.” answered the amethyst mare as she continued to approach the river. She delicately washed her hooves in the cold water, first front, then back, until she did notice something in the water. Something that wasn’t purple, and didn’t have a great head of hair with a mustache.

“Twilight, move back slowly. That isn’t a water serpent, there is a Cetus in the waters. No sudden movements.” warned the showmare silently. Her words were barely audible in the gale force winds, but thankfully had reached the Solar student just in time. Every muscle in the amethyst mares body stiffened as Twilight stood on edge. Moving each of her hooves gently backwards, she retraced her steps towards the cautious showmare. Her stormy grayish violet eyes never left the river, watching delicately for the water serpent in case it made a move.

“Thanks Trixie.” said Twilight as she looked back into the river. “How can you know there is something in there?”

“Lunar magic.” explained the lazuli mare as she lit her horn again. In a flash a bright, cold, arcane beam hit the rushing waters until everything was at a stand still. The entire river froze over, even the mouth of it froze. But just from the looks of it, only the surface was affected by the powerful magic. The lazuli mare stepped forth and set a steady hoof on the thin ice. It creaked and cracked, but it held her weight. “Twilight, how much do you weigh?” said the showmare as she did calculations in her head.

“The ice will hold both our weights. From the looks of it, it’s about three inches thick. When did you learn an ice spell?” asked the Solar student. Not even she had mastered elemental magic yet, and it seemed the showmare learned to do it overnight.

“I didn’t. Now let’s cross. This ice may be safe, but there are still things lurking about.” said the lazuli mare as she scanned the treeline for shadows and wandering eyes.

“I hope you know what you are doing Trixie. If one of us gets hu-”

“If you get hurt, don’t expect me to stay behind and help you. My mistress is more important to me than some pampered Canterlot nymphomaniac.” bashed the showmare harshly. She didn’t look back, but Trixie could feel anguish within the amethyst mare.

“Look Trixie... I’m sorry for shouting at you back there, some of the things I said were pretty harsh. I don’t know what came over me. I just felt that you were to blame for everything. All I could feel was anger towards you for being so selfish. But I guess I shouldn’t be talking. Some of the things I said about you, even if they were kind of true, were really mean. You are who you are because you boast so much, I can’t change that in one argument. I can’t make you change just because I don’t like the way you do things. Yes, we grew up differently, were raised differently, and were taught different things, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get along. Really Trixie, why do you hate me so much?” asked Twilight. In all truth, if she could find out why, maybe this trip wouldn’t be so bad.

“I hate you because you are you.” answered the showmare coldly. She just continued on, leaving the confused Solar student with a sour face.

“You hate me because I’m me?” repeated Twilight just to make sure she heard it right.

“Did I stutter or are you deaf?” retorted the showmare.

Anger boiled again in Twilight’s veins, but it soon softened to a slight annoyance. ‘Trixie is just being Trixie, Twilight. You can’t get mad at her for being herself.’ thought the amethyst mare as she made solid reasons in her head to contradict the lazuli mare. “Trixie, you hate me for just being me? Is it a specific part of me that you hate or do you just hate me as a whole?” question the Solar student as she decided to take the scientific approach.

“I hate you because you are you. I thought I had made this clear.” answered the lazuli mare as she continued onward to the ruins of the castle.

“Would you mind being a little more specific?” asked Twilight as she examined every aspect of herself. Everything from her obsessive-compulsive disorder to everyday life. Everything she was, Trixie wasn’t. Whilst Twilight had a loving family and friends, the showmare had..... Well, Twilight didn’t know. For once, she had lost an argument. She accused the lazuli mare of selfishness when in truth she was, but Twilight didn’t even let Trixie voice her side of story. Now that the Solar student looked back, all she did while inside the same room with the showmare was shout and rant at her with accusations. ‘Great, I committed a fallacy, and one of the worst too, a hasty generalization. Princess Celestia will be so disappointed.’ mused the Solar student as she reanalyze the the hateful exchange.

“How many times must I repeat myself? Do I need to spell it out for you Twilight? I hate you with every fiber of my being and it is a fact that isn’t going to change anytime soon. If I had a choice between living with you and banishment to the moon for the rest of time, I’d choose the moon. At least then I would be thousands of miles away from you.” sneered the showmare darkly. If she actually knew the right spell to banish ponies, she would use it right now.

“Trixie, at this rate, we will never work together long enough to retrieve that golden apple. An apple from Discord, living chaos. Tell me the truth Trixie, why do you really hate me?” asked Twilight once again.

The showmare just gave a sigh and continued on. She made a mental list of things she despised about the Solar student and read it out loud. “1. I hate you because you are the most uptight pony out there.”

“I am not up-”

“2. No one likes a showoff.”

“WH-”

“3. You’re Celestia’s personal student and went to her school with a full scholarship.”

“What does that ha-”

“4. Your rich.”

“Huh?”

“5. You’re Twilight Sparkle.” answered the showmare as she read her top most five important reasons.

“Trixie, that has got to be the worst five reasons to hate me I have ever heard!” retorted the Solar student angrily. “Not only are they ridiculous, but they give no solid evidence as to why you should hate me! If you gave a valid synopsis about my faults and in an orderly manner, I would have agreed with you. But none of your reasonings make sense.”

“They are the only reasons why you are ever hated.” sneered the showmare back harshly. If Twilight didn’t understand that reasoning then this conversation was just going to be a waste of time for the lazuli mare.

“Sorry Trixie, but I lost you. Either we are having two different conversations or you are talking to someone else. Honestly Trixie, there has to be a larger reason why you hate me.” concluded Twilight. Not only were the reasons faulty in logic, but she had no idea how they could lead to the showmare hating her so much.

“When has anyone ever hated the great Twilight Sparkle?” scowled the showmare vulgarly. “Have you ever stopped to think that there are ponies less fortunate than you? No, of course not, you were too busy being pampered in the Royal Castle, smothered and warmly wrapped around that fat harlot like you were her whore, but I guess, like teacher, like student.”

“Don’t you dare bring Princess Celestia into this! And her name is Princess Celestia, she is your matriarch and she will be addressed with respect.” rebutted Twilight. “Your hate is with me, not her. And what do you mean no one has hated me?”

“Oh stop acting all innocent Twilight, or should I say ignorant. If that fakie of a Princess you call Celestia even bothered to look after her people, then tell me, why is the unemployment rate the highest within the very capital? Has the fake ever lifted a hoof or gotten off her fat ass to help the starving or the homeless? Did you know she passed a bill to cut the medical spending? Yea, the best Princess in the word is so caring that she decided to raise taxes so that the poor get poorer and the fat get fatter.” insulted Trixie.

“Shut up! I won’t let you speak about Princess Celestia like that!” retorted Twilight angrily as she rushed in front of the lazuli mare. All she saw was amusement from the showmare and a wide smirk on her face that made Twilight just lose it. She slapped the lazuli mare once again, just as hard, and wasn’t intending to apologize this time.

Smack

“I should have known you couldn’t keep your emotions in check. Looks like the great and perfect Twilight Sparkle has a fault.” insulted Trixie as she continue to use her mocking tone towards the angry amethyst mare.

“Shut up!” shouted Twilight as she slapped the showmare again. It only brought amusement to the showmare as Twilight continue to use the mare’s face as a place to let her anger out. She kept at it until her hoof was sore, until it started bleeding, showing bare bone against bloody skin and fur. No matter how many times she hit the showmare, it was all in vain. Even if she kept at it, her release of anger wouldn’t do anything but bring the showmare enjoyment to know that she had successfully broken Twilight. The amethyst mare fell forward exhausted by her burst of frustration. “Shut...up” mumbled the broken mare as she fell to her knees. Her injured hoof wouldn’t let her stand, which meant, she was going to be left behind, in the cold and blinding winds.

“I told you, I hate you because you are you. I hate you because you don’t see the bigger picture, you just see the one that Celestia paints for you. You would know this if you grew up like I did. If you grew up on the streets, fighting everyday for your next meal and your life, you would know that everything isn’t always rainbows and sunshine. You had an education, the best, from the very being that raises the sun every morning. Do you know how I learn math? I had to count every single day I went without food in my stomach, the numbers of scars and bruises I had, and how many fights I could go through before I would finally die. Where were you? Oh right, learning from a book, in a warm and safe home. Need I continue?” asked the showmare as she magiced the injured amethyst mare onto her back. Twilight struggled at first, thinking the lazuli mare was going to hurt her, but stop as she was rested safely on Trixie’s back, wrapped around the warm shroud and shielded from the cold storm.

“I thought you said you were going to leave me behind?” asked the Solar student. “Not that I’m ungrateful, but why?”

“I made a promise to mistress.” answered Trixie stoically. Nothing more was said. The showmare really was intending on keeping her promise to Luna. If the Lunar Alicorn’s words alone were enough to make someone like Trixie help her most hated foe, there could be hope yet.

“You promised Luna you wouldn’t hurt me.” corrected the amethyst mare. She didn’t know why, but she wanted to see what the showmare’s reaction would have been.

“Protect, not hurt. Same difference. Mistress has expectations for me and I intend to keep her proud.” answered the showmare as she neared the eye.

The ruins of the old Royal Castle stood gloomily in the background, shadows all around, none of them showing a welcoming sign. Trixie looked up into the skies, a giant hole was hanging lazily above with electricity all around. Lighting her horn once more, arcane magic surged through it as a bolt of lightning struck the lazuli mare, and returned back to the skies.

All thoughts left Twilight as her body turned into living energy, one with the lightning, meat and flesh gone, replaced when she was atomized. No only did she feel vertigo, but a pounding headache that drummed her indolent mind repeatedly. She tasted sound and smelled chard fur. One moment she was in the ruins of an old castle, the next the Royal Gardens, where the statue of the Draconequus stood. The amethyst mare felt feeling in her body again as Trixie closed the gap between them and the former King.

Even stoned, Twilight couldn’t help but feel a sense of terror wash over her. If the Draconequus had been more serious about taking over Equestria, he would have succeeded. All the Elements were turned, chaos spread, and there was no one left to stand in this way. If things had turned out differently, Twilight wouldn’t be here right now, staring back at his chiseled figure.

“So, this is the famous Discord mistress keeps telling me about. He doesn’t look so tough.” said the showmare as she examine the statue.

“Trixie, don’t underestimate him. He won, even if it was a short lived victory. Chaos is the most dangerous form of magic out there, Princess Luna would have definitely taught you that.” corrected Twilight once again.

“Well then if he is so all powerful and barbaric as everypony says he is, then why doesn't he come out right now and punch me in the face.” said the lazuli mare as she adjusted her eyes.


Every vision she knew about flashed before her eyes, each time revealing a lonely statue. It wasn’t until her last vision did she notice something out of place. Her eyes lit ablaze with Lunar magic, and she looked at the world for the first time in the astral plane. What stared back at her smugly was the last thing she expected. His voice was stone cold and evil down to it’s very core. The King of Chaos stood cooly against his stoned self, smiling crazily at the showmare.

“About time someone beside Queeny decided to visit me. I was getting bored.” spoke the Draconequus cocily.

Trixie found out she didn’t like Discord, not one bit. Where she sometimes boasted about herself, the Draconequus just sounded like a jerk that would do cruel things to his friends for a quick laugh. “Why don’t you show yourself to everyone here. I’m sure Twilight will be glad to see you.” answered the showmare as she released the magic.

A scream screeched loudly in Trixie’s highly sensitive ears, as the mare on her back bellowed her lungs out. The only thing that stopped her frights was the black veil that blanketed her.“Twilight, calm yourself. Don’t you know it’s rude to scream at the sight of your guest?” asked the Draconequus softly. He was just as the lavender mare had remembered him, cocky and uncaring to everything around him.

“Discord?! What are you doing here?!” screamed the Solar student. She would have gotten up and ran if Trixie’s shroud not hold onto her with a deathly grip.

“I’m not here, Twilight. I’m over there.” said Discord as he pointed to his statue. “You stoned me remember? So what brings you here?”

“I want your apple.” answered the showmare bluntly. She didn’t know why, but the Draconequus suddenly burst into laughter. Realizing her fault the lazuli mare facehoofed. “Get your mind out of the gutter Discord.” warned the lazuli mare.

“HAHAHA-”

“I don’t get it.” answered Twilight truthfully. She really didn’t get it at all. “All Trixie asked for was your apple.”

“Haha! That’s what I like about you Twilight Sparkle, innocent till the end!” laughed the Draconequus crazily. A single tear dripped from his red beastly eyes, which was wiped away with a talon.

“Twilight, just shut up and let me do the talking. Discord, I want your golden apple.” clarified the showmare.

“Celestia has a golden apple tree, why don’t you just go ask her for one?” asked Discord as he continued to laugh.

“That tree hasn’t bearded fruit in centuries.” answered Twilight. “And how do you have a body?!” said the lavender mare anxiously.

“Magic.” answered Discord blankly. His amusement continued to grow as Twilight’s face contorted with frustration.

“Would you mind being a little bit more specific? Chaos magic is meant to destroy and disharmonize, not give you a new body.” returned Twilight. She had read over a dozen books on the Draconequus after their encounter and found very little about him and the kind of magic he commands. This would be an excellent chance to learn if she can keep the ex-king talking.

Chaos, is constant change, and it is used for more than just destruction and disharmony, for example, the chaos of love. It’s a mushy kind of chaos, but still chaos nonetheless. You saw how the wedding ended didn’t you? Death and destruction all around and just because of a simple love spell.” answered the Draconequus.

Twilight just sat on the showmare’s back, magicked out a notepad and took notes. Joyful learning for the Solar student, annoyance for the lazuli mare. “Alright, what are the other kinds of chaos magic?” question the lavender mare as she finished her first set of notes.

“Believe it or not, chaos and dark magic have nothing in common. I have no idea where the notion of it came from, but dark magic is for that Lunar Alicorn. If you have ever studied the Dark Ages, it was a few decades before Moony’s banishment. Not only did she spread the knowledge of dark magic, but revolutionized it. Every aspect was re-examined and tested for proper use, and then heightened, or should I say, defiled. Moony altered over a hundred spells to fit her darkness and created over a thousand new ones to inspire fear and despair, to remind everyone that she is in control of the night. A shadow just wasn’t a shadow anymore after Nightmare got involved. She created the first methods of shadow traveling to resurrection of the dead. Not fully living, but not dead either, mindless beings to do her bidding. Unfortunately, like all things, the form of magic was lost and died with time.” lectured Discord.

“So, if Lunar magic is the backbone of all forms of dark magic and if chaos magic has nothing in common, then Nightmare Moon was the true founder of the Dark Arts. With Princess Celestia being the bipolar of Nightmare, when those two collided, Lunar and Solar magic bounced off each other. Well, if that is true then based on this theory, Solarmagic should have the exact opposite effects on objects that Lunar magic does, like fire and ice. One of them cannot affect the other directly, but they must require the existence of the other to survive. And to continue on that, chaos magic should be the extremes of both Lunar and Solar.” concluded Twilight. “But in some cases, when these two form of magic meet, there may be negative results or positive depending on the varia-”

“TWILIGHT! Mistress is dying and you are discussing fundamental analogy with a barbaric?!” reminded the showmare.

“Oh, right!” answered Twilight as guilt washed over her again. She just wasted about a good ten minutes just taking notes, minutes that Luna really couldn’t spare. “How could I be so stupid?! You are just stalling us aren’t you?”

“Bravo, Twilight Sparkle, bravo.” answered Discord as she gave her an applause. “Took you long enough to realize it though. You may be a mare beyond your years, but anyone can give a lecture and you won’t even know your own name. Quite a weakness, that can easily be exploited.” answered the Draconequus.

“Hey now, it’s not my fault, really. It’s just that I sometimes I get caught up in my studies with Princess Celestia that it grew into a ha- HEY! You’re doing it again!” whined the Solar student.

“Am I?” asked Discord innocently.

“Yes, you are. Now stop!” answered Twilight angrily. “Where is the golden apple? No tricks Discord, we don’t have time for you to waste.”

“Fine, fine, you want it? Then you shall have to play a game.” answered Discord happily.

“We don’t have time for a game!” retorted the showmare furiously. “Mark my words Discord, if anything happens to my mistress, you are the second one I’m going after.”

“Second? I am quite offended by that. Who’s the first?” asked Discord curiously.

“Me.” answered the lavender mare blandly. “No tricks Discord. If we play this game of yours, you’ll give us the golden apple?” asked Twilight.

“I won’t give you the apple, but I’ll tell you where to find it. It is very close to here so you won’t even have to run.” answered the Draconequus. “I want to play a game Twilight Sparkle, you as well Trixie Lulamoon.”

“It was made quite obvious.” interrupted the showmare. All she got was a hoof in the ribs by the mare on top of her. “Enough with the sarcasm, Trixie, we don’t have time to waste.” reminded Twilight.

“Shall I continue?” asked the Draconequus patiently. Slight nods from both mares gave Discord the sign, “All of your life, Twilight Sparkle, you have lived in the sunshine of your teacher, Celestia. You on the other hand, Trixie Lulamoon, have been through quite the opposite, same as your own mentor, Luna.”

“What does this ha-” another jab from Twilight told the showmare to shut up for once and listen.

“As I was saying, you two are the opposite in everything, all but magic. So you both shall have to go through a trial by magic.” challenged the Draconequus.

“Magic? Pffff, I will have it done easily, Discord. Your games are as stupid as your face.” insulted the showmare. All she got in return was another hoof to the ribs from the lavender mare.

“What kind of trial?” asked Twilight concerned about what sick, twist, trial awaited for both mares. “How do we know you aren’t just lying to us about the apple for a quick laugh?” said the Solar student, realizing a fault in the Draconequus’ reasoning.

“Do we have much of a choice in this matter Twilight?” reminded the showmare. Truth or not, the mares were going to try the challenge regardless if Discord was telling the truth or not.

“The task is quite simple. All I ask from both of you is easily obtainable and within reason, but you shall need to steal it.” explained the Draconequus. “However, during this trial, you are not allowed to use any magic, whatsoever. If I catch one of you using magic, or attempting to use magic, you will never find the golden apple.” warned Discord.

“You call this the trial of magic and we aren’t even allowed to use magic at all? Not only is that the stupidest name for a challenge but it is also redundant in every which way possible.” complained the showmare. Another hoof came and so did her annoyance. “Will you stop doing that?!”

“We accept your terms Discord. What are we ste- I mean borrowing?” asked Twilight. She wasn’t going to steal anything, the best, borrowing without asking and returning it later.

“You must steal a kiss from Princess Celestia and return it, like your love for her.”

Author’s note: I was totally gonna leave you off right there. But no, the next chapter will be up as well. DerpyMuffins signing off, for now.

Editor’s note: Do you people even read these things? I feel like I could write just about anything here and nobody would notice. Watch: Monkeys like bananas flying purple hippopotamus in a top hat. Abraham Lincoln stormed the beaches of Normandy in a tuxedo. Point and case. Incase you are reading this, that was a sweet cliphanger wasn’t it. Really well done. Can’t wait to see what happens next! TwiLunaLover out!