• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 6,164 Views, 365 Comments

Has Anyone Ever Loved Me? - DerpyMuffins15



Luna has always been alone in her world, atleast until Twilight came into her life, or so she though

  • ...
31
 365
 6,164

An Old Friend Returns

Just a few minutes before moonrise. Luna was steadily walking to her room, having just finished her daily duties as a Princess. ‘The court system have been over complicated.’ thought Luna. She had just adjourned a judging of two ponies that were 'suing' each other for the stupidest of things. One of the pony's home’s was casting a shadow over the pool of the other pony. They had wasted her time for a whole two hours, not even letting the night princess say a single word. The judging had ended when Luna called them both stupid and had stormed out.

She had now reached her room, having entered the Lunar wing of the castle. Unlocking the door with her magic, Luna entered her room. She levitated the diadem that was on her head and her chest piece onto the nearby night stand. She was ready to retire after a day of dull work with her sister, but Luna still had one last duty to perform. Raising her moon and bringing out the stars that came with it. She opened the doors to her balcony, and quietly stepped out. Her sister's sunset was just ending, casting long shadows around Luna. The alicorn princess could feel her moon trying to push itself into the horizon, but still couldn't get the extra push that Luna always provided.

She lit her horn in a midnight blue aura, now guiding her moon and giving it the necessary push it needed. Her moon started to show itself just beyond the horizon, the sun now gone from the skyline and her moon once again free to grace the sky, with its ghostly visage. The Alicorn used her wings to lift herself a few feet above her balcony, and whisked all the small stars that were in her flowing mane into her night sky, like an artist filling a vast celestial canvas. Luna descended gracefully from the sky, gently landing on her balcony with practised precision.

Turning her head to face the moon, she noticed something was off. Her usual chalky white moon was blue tonight. Luna didn't know why, but her moon always turned a different color depending on what emotion she was feeling. Red for anger, orange when Luna felt mellow, golden yellow when shy, and blue whenever she felt unsure about something.

Luna walked back into her room and took off her silver shoes. She walked to her mirror to get a look at herself. She saw her own reflection staring back. Her mane still flowed in the nonexistent wind, her eyes a midnight blue, and her coat a dark-navy blue. But for a moment, just a moment, her eyes flashed a different color. The Alicorn blinked quickly, staring in confusion, leaning closer and concentrating on her eyes. It happened again, for just a fraction of a second, Luna thought she saw a different set of eyes. They were not her own eyes. They eyes were a light turquoise, with slitted pupils instead of her own light blue pupils. They were eyes she remembered too well. They were the eyes of her old self, the dark side she had regretted, letting out.

She shook her head, trying to ignore the disturbing thoughts. Her darker half was gone now, thanks to the Elements of Harmony. But Luna was still plagued with doubt, doubt that maybe her old self was still there. The Alicorn trotted to her bed and took a book from her bookshelves. Luna didn't really pick the book out, she didn’t need to. The book was a gift, given to her by a special pony. It was from the first friend Luna had made since her downfall and banishment.

Luna was now on her bed and opened to the first page of the familiar book. The book was very old, it's pages were musty with the scent of age and flowers. ‘The flowers must be from Twilight's shampoo.’ thought Luna. The musk of the shampoo combined with the thought of the lavender mare made reading the book impossible for Luna, the image of Twilight made Luna smile with just a hint of sadness.

‘Why does thinking about Twilight leave me feeling so...vulnerable? Why can’t I think about anything besides that adorable, lavender mare?’ Luna mused to herself, avoiding the more important question, tugging at the back of her mind. Why did Luna have the feeling of loneliness every time she was away from Twilight? She tried to push Twilight out of her head, but trying only made it more difficult to concentrate on anything else.

There was also a dark feeling that came with thinking about Twilight.

The more Luna thought about Twilight, the more dread and despair she felt, the feeling of loneliness soon followed these emotions. Luna tried to remember the good times and new friends she had made on Nightmare Night with the lavender mare, but the more she tried to avoid thinking about Twilight, the stronger the darker emotions felt. Luna couldn't bear it anymore. The feeling was too much. The Alicorn closed her book and looked into the mirror across her room. Twice her eyes had flashed, and once again the doubt came.

"What is happening to me..." Luna asked herself, her small voice barely louder than a whisper, making her sound almost like Twilight’s shy friend, Fluttershy. A strong burst of wind, flung open the doors to her balcony. Luna's sharp instincts automatically put her in an attacking position. Ready to strike down anything that crossed her path, but was met only by a gentle gust of wind. This wind made Luna uneasy, it wasn't a warm and welcoming summer breeze. No, this wind felt cold almost calculating. As Luna approached her balcony, she heard a silent laugh ring through the night. This laugh wasn't the happy laugh of a foal or a pony, this laugh sent chills down Luna’s spine. The villainous laughter died out as quickly as it had come, Luna checked her balcony quickly for signs of trouble. Nothing was there, except for her.

‘Maybe I am just imagining things.’ Luna mused to herself, deciding perhaps her dinner had been undercooked, causing her see and hear things. Luna looked wearily back into her room, focusing on her bed. Luna couldn’t suppress a yawn as she realised just how exhausted she felt. She weakly stepped towards her bed, levitating the covers off and closing the drapes around her bed. Luna hid her head under the star covered pillows and now the midnight blue covers blanketed her body. She felt very comfortable under the covers, and in the darkness. That's where she felt most safe: in the darkness. It was where she was always accepted, a place she can always call home. An existence that has never felt the warmth of the sun. "Darkness..." thought Luna. It was the last thought she had before drifting into restless dreams.

Luna's dreams have changed ever since she was freed from the Nightmare. The alicorn was standing in Ponyville, next to all of her friends. That was all she ever wanted, to be loved, not hated and feared as she once was. But something caught her eye. It was Twilight, her first friend and savior.

As Luna tried to approach the lavender mare, the dark feelings returned. All her happiness was replaced with dread the closer she got to Twilight. Each step straining her physically and emotionally, as if she was trying to walk through the heavy snow that blanketed the north of Equestria. Luna was a mere step away from her best friend, but it was never meant to be.

Darkness enveloped everything, The joyful sky, the bright and colorful buildings and worst of all, the smiling faces of her friends, all gone. There was nothing left except Twilight and Luna, but then she too vanished, Luna crying out in vain as she vanished. Luna now stood alone, nothing but darkness around her. No friends, no happiness and no Twilight.

Laughter. Thats all Luna could hear. A mocking laughter, cold and spiteful. This laughter was all too familiar to her, It was her own laughter, the same laughter she had used when the Nightmare took her. It was the laughter she used whenever she killed a pony. This was the laughter of the Nightmare.

Luna felt nothing but dread and hopelessness. The darkness around her was punctuated by cold laughter, that continued for what seemed like an eternity to Luna. Cold and alone, Luna shivered screaming for someone to come. Soon enough, there in front of Luna was her former self, a pitch black Alicorn, that had once shared her name and body.

"Nightmare?" asked Luna trembling in fear. Luna felt what could only be described as absolute dismay and horror. The Nightmare dwarfed Luna, towering above Luna and her tiny, shaking, little body.

The alicorn's coat was the same as it had been for over a thousand years, a pitch black coat, accompanied by her ethereal, star covered mane. The enchanted armor she wore, shone a deep ultramarine hue. The helmet curved naturally with her head and neck, her chest piece showing their emblem, a crescent moon, while her eyes were still the same. A deep turquoise with slits like that of a basilisk and with similar effects.

"What’s the matter Luna? Aren't you happy to see your best and only friend return?" echoed the Nightmare. Her lips didn't move, but Luna could hear every word loud and clear. Each word ringing with absolute certainty.

"Best and only friend?" repeated Luna, still terrified.

"Of course Luna. I'm your best and only friend. Who would love a monster like us?" Asked the Nightmare.

"T-Tia would... she always loved me..." Stuttered Luna, trying to look away and hide the doubt she felt in her own words.

"You don't mean our dear sister do you?" Asked the Nightmare. Luna can barely give a nod. Her body was shaking badly and she could barely control herself. The Nightmare's presence alone had left Luna in a cowering position. Fear took over whatever instinct she ever had to fight back.

"If Tia ever loved you, then why did she banished us to the moon?" Asked the Nightmare.

The question hit home. Luna couldn't find an answer to it. All she could do was cower even more before her past self.

"Come now Luna, stop your worries. I am not here to harm you." Said the Nightmare.

Luna could barely hear what the Nightmare said. The fear overtaking her, all Luna could do was tremble as she curled up, waiting for the inevitable. ‘This is it.’ thought Luna. The Nightmare had returned, and now was here to finish her job. To take back her body, Luna’s body.

The pitch-black Alicorn took a step towards Luna, who immediately flinched, shutting her eyes and waiting for it all to be over. The Nightmare to overwhelm her again and take the body that they had once shared. The sense of being overwhelmed never came, it was subtle but Luna could feel there was something different about the Alicorn as she approached Luna. No longer did she radiate coldness and despair like the darkness that surrounded both of them. For once, Luna felt a warmth in the endless darkness. This warmth was close to her, like it was right beside her.

Luna opened her eyes and was no longer was facing the Nightmare. No, Luna found herself shocked beyond belief staring at the mare beside her. The Alicorn did not hurt Luna, she was just sitting next to her right now, nuzzling her, showing compassion and care. Before she knew it, the Nightmare had outstretched her wing and covered Luna from head to hoof in her own darkness.

Luna no longer felt the loneliness, despair, and coldness. She felt warmth, care, and love that radiated from the alicorn beside her. These were feelings Luna never expected from the evil Nightmare, these were feelings that she had only ever received from Tia and Twilight. For once in the darkness, Luna felt protected, she felt that for once, someone cared for her.

Luna stuck her head out from the cover of the Alicorn's wing and looked straight in her eyes. These were not the same eyes that Luna knew and feared. Nightmare's eyes did not show the coldness and hatred she had always known the mare to have. These were the eyes of a loving mother trying to protect her defenseless foal, a feeling that has always been foreign to Luna. These were the same eyes that only her sister had ever given her, it was such a foreign, alien concept to even think of Nightmare showing such care.

Luna had found her voice finally, but only managed a squeak."... Ni-Nightmare? Is that really you?"

"Yes, it is truly me Luna," answered the Nightmare.

"You are... different Nightmare, you feel different. You are not filled with.... coldness." Luna, regretted saying the words immediately. Nightmare's eyes changed instantly. They were now back to cold and calculating, but deep down, Luna could still the the care and compassion.

"It is good to see you again Luna. I have missed you." said the Nightmare, changing the subject.

"How are you here Nightmare? I thought you were destroyed." Asked Luna.

"I ‘would’ have been destroyed yes, but I was saved. Saved by you, Luna," Answered Nightmare.

"I sa-saved you? How could I save you? I wanted to be free," Luna asked, confusion written on her face.

"Indeed, you did want to be free. But you didn't want to destroy me Luna. You wanted me to stay, you protected me from the Elements. I was ready to die the moment the Elements overpowered us, but you...you shielded me. You hid me in the darkness, where I was born. You care for me as much as I care for you." Nightmare explained.

Luna thought about the explanation that the Nightmare gave her. Did she really mean it? Or was she just lying to Luna again. But there was one thing that the evil Alicorn could never fake, it was the care and compassion Luna saw in her eyes. The Nightmare was telling the truth, and it was unexpected.

"You are wondering why I am here, do you not?" Asked Nightmare. Luna nodded, her own eyes still locked with Nightmare's.

"You have called me here, Luna. I felt your distress and uneasiness. You have been focused on a certain pony for a while now Luna." Nightmare explained.

"You mean Twilight?" Asked Luna, fearing the name might bring back foul memories for the black alicorn.

"Yes indeed I do. She has caught your attention, and in a bad way." Said Nightmare.

"What do you mean?" Luna asked, biting her lip nervously.

"You have fallen in love Luna. I fear that you need to discard these feelings before it’s too late," said Nightmare.

"I-I'm in love?" Asked a confused Luna. She had never been loved before, and now the Nightmare was telling her that she was in love.

"Yes, you indeed are. You need to forget these feelings Luna. They are not worth the pains you will face." Warned Nightmare.

"I don't understand." Luna answered.

"If you pursue this matter, I fear that you'll only hurt yourself in the end. You will get your hopes up for nothing, Luna. I just don't want to see you hurt again." Nightmare admitted. The Alicorn's eyes flashed again. This time Luna could see concern and worry in the Nightmare's eyes. She was speaking the truth once again. Luna didn't know what to make of it.

"Please Nightmare, I want to know what it means to be loved back." Pleaded Luna.

"I love you Luna... Isn't that enough?" Asked Nightmare, her voice almost pleading as she gazed at the smaller alicorn. Nightmare’s eyes betrayed her inner thoughts, caring emotions that Luna never thought the evil Alicorn would ever show.

"I'm sorry Nightmare......It just isn't enough. I want more, to know what it feels like to be loved back. Not by somepony like you or Tia. Somepony who is willing to spend the rest of their life with me." Luna answered, an almost melancholy tone in her voice, looking down sadly.

"Heed my warnings Luna. This will only end with a heart break for you. I cannot bear to see you hurt,"said Nightmare gently.

This new side of Nightmare confused and surprised Luna, destroying her previous opinions on the dark mare. She cared about Luna, just as much as Tia did. ‘What happened to you Nightmare? Where is the wicked mare I once knew?’ Luna pondered, before finally voicing her worries.

"Why are you protecting me Nightmare? Why do you care for me so suddenly? What has made you change in such a way?" Luna asked, barely taking a pause between words, blurting out her questions as quickly as she could.

Nightmare’s head dropped, avoiding Luna’s gaze. The black alicorn closed her eyes, taking a deep breath before finally speaking.

"You saved me Luna. Even with all the horrible things I got us into, you still saved me. I can never repay this debt I owe to you. The best I can do is try to protect you in any way I can." Said Nightmare softly, her face scrunched up as she revealed the truth. It had clearly taken some of the bravado and ego that Nightmare enjoyed parading to say those words.

"Then you can repay this debt by helping me find love. Please Nightmare. I no longer want to live in the darkness. I no longer want to constantly rely on it anymore. I want to live with a special pony and feel loved for once. Please Nightmare, help me." Luna pleaded, her tone clearly desperate.

"Luna...." whispered Nightmare. She propped her head back up and met Luna's eyes. They were pleading, filled with hope of a better future. "I just don't want to see you hurt. If it means this much to you.....I shall help you."

"Thank you, Nightmare." Said Luna as she nuzzled the new friend she had just made. Nightmare's dark coat felt warm and comforting.

"Just remember this Luna. Whatever happens, you shall always have a home here. In the darkness, with me." Whispered Nightmare.

"I know. Thank you for caring about me Nightmare. Thank you..." Luna said, leaning against nightmare.

Her surroundings began to change. The Alicorn that was next to her was now gone. The darkness was still there. But Luna was no longer in dreamland. She was awake in her room, hidden under her covers once more. Luna’s head poked out of her pile of pillows and covers, glancing around, before looking at the clock next to her nightstand. It read six in the morning. ‘Morning’ Luna’s brain reminded her.

Her balcony doors were opened again, letting the first light of dawn creep inside. The familiar breeze from last night blew across her face. The breeze though familiar, was different, this breeze felt warm and welcoming. Luna reluctantly got out of her warm bed and walked to her balcony. As she approached the marble railing, Luna observed her moon's descent into the horizon. It was once again her duty to set her beautiful moon and hide the accompanying stars.

Performing the familiar ceremony from last night, Luna lifted herself off the ground with her wings and lit her horn in a midnight blue aura. Gripping her moon and gently guiding the celestial orb, below the skyline. Her stars disappeared from the night sky, retreating one by one, back into her mane. As the last light of her moon died off, Luna felt the warmth of her sister's sun hit her back. Luna twisted her head back and stared into the star. She felt happiness to see her sister's sun again. But a part of Luna loathed the sun. It was the part of Luna that was born in the darkness.

As she walked back into her room, Luna flashed a quick look of herself in the mirror. She was still the same. A dark navy-blue coated Alicorn with a flowing mane. This time her eyes did not flash a different color. This time it was much worst. In the reflection of the mirror, there stood Nightmare Moon, right next to Luna. Luna quickly turned her head to the left to meet her, but was met with an unexpected surprise. No one was there, just Luna looking straight into her bookshelves.

She once again turned her head towards the mirror, this time Nightmare's reflection was gone. In the mirror was just Luna standing by herself again. ‘It must just have been a dream.’ Thought Luna remembering her encounter with the Nightmare. "We must be imagining things again."

She caught what she just said immediately. Luna no longer used the 'I' that she got accustomed to. Luna had returned to the Royal We. Luna shrugged the thought off again. ‘It’s just a mistake, yes that’s it a mistake. I’m always messing up my speech from time to time that's all it is.’

Calming herself, Luna turned around, only to Find Nightmare Moon. Luna jumped back and stumbled backwards hitting her nightstand and knocking over the mirror, her chest piece and diadem falling off in her panic. She got a quick look at the alicorn before fear consumed her again.

The image of the Alicorn was strange and different. Her coat was still a pitch black, but it was chalky, while shifting between transparent and translucent, like you could see through her. Luna finally found her voice again, "Nightmare? How did you get your own body?"

"I don't Luna. This is my astral plane form. Only you shall be able to see, hear, and touch me. To other ponies, I will just pass right through them." Answered Nightmare.

"How are you able to gather enough magic to create this form?" asked Luna as she got back on her hooves.

"You remember the star that recently went supernova in the Ursa minor quadrant? I harness the star’s energy to create this form. I barely had enough to create this form, maintaining it is another story," Said Nightmare.

"How are you maintaining this form then Nightmare?" Luna asked as she put on her diadem and chest piece. She then walked over to her bed to put on her lunar silver shoes.

"I'm not, you are Luna. I need something physical to anchor me to this world. Do not worry. It does not require much magic. But for beings who’ve lost their bodies, like me, it is like trying to fly to the sun. Very difficult, but still doable." Nightmare explained.

"Alright, I can live with a little bit of magic being used by you. Now if you'll excuse me, I have court duty." Luna said, making her way toward the door before Nightmare stopped her.

"Stop kidding yourself Luna. No one has showed up for Lunar court ever since your return. The ones you do get are just a waste of your time." Said Nightmare bitterly.

Once again, Luna knew the black coated alicorn was right. Luna turned to face Nightmare, her eyes boring into Nightmare's eyes slitted pupils. ‘Still filled with love and compassion.’ Thought Luna, a small smile on her lips.

"What shall we do then Nightmare? It's not like there is anything else to do." Said Luna.

"Come and sit with me Luna. We need to talk." Said Nightmare as she walked towards Luna's bed. Nightmare sat down and left enough room for Luna to sit with her. Luna trotted toward her bed and sat with Nightmare. Once again, Luna felt warmth radiate from the Alicorn that sat next to her, just like her dream. Nightmare outstretched her left wing and covered Luna again. The darkness that covered her made Luna feel safe again.

"What do you want to talk about?" Asked Luna as she got comfortable.

"Tell me about Twilight, Luna." Said Nightmare.

"Shouldn't you already know who she is? We share the same memories do we not?" asked Luna.

"We do, but your memories do not tell me how you feel about Twilight. Tell me Luna, what does Twilight mean to you? Why have you fallen in love with a mare so much like yourself?" Asked Nightmare.

"I guess I'll start right after I was free-, I mean, when we were separated." Said Luna. She then recalled all the events lead up to the current day. From what happened at the Gala to the Changeling attack on Canterlot. Luna finished with the friendship between Twilight Sparkle and herself, that had developed over the past year.

"It seems you had some good times with Twilight." Nightmare said.

"Yes, I guess we did." Said Luna, truly smiling for the first time in weeks.

"It's good to see you smiling again Luna. You always look more beautiful when you smile." Complemented Nightmare.

"Thanks Nightmare." said Luna. She leaned her head towards Nightmare's neck and relaxed. Luna's eyelids started to drop again with the restless night she just had.

"Thanks for taking care of me." Luna mumbled.

"Sleep Luna. You shall need it. Do not worry about our morning duties, I shall take care of them. Think about my questions Luna. Why do you love Twilight? Thats what you need to know if you want this to work." Nightmare explained.

Luna could barely hear Nightmare's words, she was too tired. All she wanted was to be with the lavender mare again. To be in the darkness with Twilight. To be loved by her first friend and savior.

"I love you Twilight......." mumbled Luna. She once again drifted to dreamland.

"Have the sweetest of dreams Luna. Just remember that I am always here for you if you ever need me,"said Nightmare. She continued to sit by Luna, to comfort and warm her.

Author’s Note: Wow, never thought I’d write about Nightmare in this kind of way. Never really thought this fanfiction would turn from a romance to a bit of slice of life. Or whatever you like to call this kind of fic. So far, I didn’t think I would get this far. I’m rooting for Twiluna right now, but don’t expect it to turn out to be one. I really haven’t decided on that yet. Which might break a few hearts, maybe from Twilestia fans or Twiluna fans. I won’t tell til the end.