• Published 12th Jul 2021
  • 2,971 Views, 69 Comments

Phoenix Magic - Magic Kitsune Brony



What if there was more to Sunset Shimmer and the world beyond the mirror portal than first thought?

  • ...
13
 69
 2,971

Chapter 8

It was a week after winter break and the girls were gathered around what was slowly becoming their table at Sugarcube Corner. They listened as Rainbow Dash explain the idea she got during the holidays.

“Hey, guys,” Rainbow started. “I was thinking, ever since the talent show, that maybe we could start a band.”

“A band?” Rarity raised an eyebrow

“Yea!” Rainbow smiled. “We can all sing, AJ, Sunset and I can play guitar. You can play piano, and Fluttershy plays tambourine. And Pinkie can play just about any instrument”

“That is true,” Pinkie agreed

“So, what do you think?” Rainbow asked

“I think it’s worth a shot,” Sunset said

“I could come up with gorgeous outfits for us to wear,” Rarity suggested

“Oh, what the hay, let’s do it,” Applejack said

“Yeah! This is going to be so much fun!” Pinkie exclaimed

“Oh, um, I guess I can do it,” Fluttershy agreed timidly

“Are you sure, Flutters?” Sunset asked. “You don’t sound so sure”

“Oh, it’s just, I’m not really confident on stage,” She explained

“What!” Rainbow exclaimed. “But you did so well on stage at the talent show”

“That’s because I had my animal friends with me on the stage,” Fluttershy explained. “With them there, I wasn’t scared”

“Well then you shouldn’t have a problem in a band,” Pinkie said. “Because all your friends will be there, right next to you.”

“Oh,” Fluttershy eyes widened at the thought. “You know, you’re right. With my friends next to me, I won’t be scared”

“That’s the spirit!” Rainbow pumped her fist

“When should we do our first gig, if we do it?” Applejack asked. “So, we can start practicin’”

“How about at the spring carnival?” Pinkie suggested. “It’s still two months away. That way we’ll have plenty of time to get ready.” There was a round of agreement from the others

“Well, I’ve already had an idea for a song that we could play. It’s pretty awesome, I wrote it myself,” Rainbow boasted.

“I have a few songs in progress too, mainly for when I have nothing to do,” Fluttershy quietly said.

“Um, Dash, Flutters,” Sunset got their attention. “While, I too have a few songs I need to finish writing. How about we lay off writing original songs for now? Let’s just get used to being a band first. How about we pick a couple of songs that we all know? And maybe if we get them down pat, then we can look at an original song”

“That’s an excellent idea, Sunset,” Rarity agreed. “And by knowing what song we are doing; I can get a better idea of what outfits we are going to wear”

“I’ll talk to mum about us doing our first gig at the carnival,” Sunset suggested. “And also ask her about us using the music room whenever it’s available”

“Sound good. And I’m sure my Ma will let us use the barn on the weekends when we have time,” Applejack said

“Wait!” Pinkie exclaimed, causing all of them to turn to her. “What are we going to call ourselves. We need a band name”

“I already have a name in mind,” Rainbow said. “I was thinking Rainbow Boomers, because we are going to start off with a boom”

“Maybe not,” Applejack grimaced. “That sounds more like a racehorse name.”

“Not to mention that ‘Boomers’ is the name of the baby boom generation,” Rarity reminded her

“Oh, yeah, I forgot,” Rainbow said looking down

“I know. How about we mix the two words. Kinda like when Pinkie mixed nervous and excited to make ‘nervicited’. What do you say Pinks,” Sunset turned to their excitable friend

“Hmm,” Pinkie rubbed her chin, thinking. It took a couple of minutes, in which the others continued to eat and drink. Finally, Pinkie finished thinking, she was excited about her idea. “Oohh, let’s take the ‘rain’ from rainbow, then the boom and ‘s’ from boomers. Put them together and we get ‘Rainbooms’”

“The Rainbooms?” Rainbow thought for a second, before saying, “I like it. What do you think?” She asked the other girls. They all agreed to the name. They then spent the rest of the afternoon going over songs they could play at the Spring Carnival


Later, Sunset was picked up by Celestia to head home. On the way, she turned to her mum

“Hey, mum,” Sunset started

“Yes, Sunset,” Celestia kept her eyes on the road

“What do you have in terms of music for the Spring Carnival?” Sunset asked

“Other than Vinyl putting on her DJ Pon3 hat on, not much. Why?” Celestia countered

“Well, you see. My friends and I have decided to start a band and we’re wondering if we could do our first gig at the Carnival,” Sunset explained

“Oh really?” Celestia raised an eyebrow. “What’s the band’s name?”

“The Rainbooms,” Sunset smiled

“I see,” Celestia said. “Well, I will look at the schedule and figure out where we can put you and how many songs you can do”

“Oh, and obviously we are going need a place to practice,” Sunset suddenly remembered. “So, can we please use the music room whenever we can?”

“Yes, of course you can,” Celestia answered, as she pulled into their driveway. When they walked into the front room, they saw two men sitting down with Sombra, who looked up when they came in

“Dad,” Sunset slowly said, feeling unsure. “What’s going on?”

“Celestia, Sunset, these are Croaker and Bode,” Sombra introduced them, as the girls sat down. “They’re Unspeakables from the Department of Mysteries in the British Ministry of Magic.”

“British?” Sunset asked nervously. “Does that mean…?”

“Don’t worry, Miss King,” Croaker assured her. “We’re the only two who know who you are and what really happened that night”

“We are also two of a few people in Wizarding Britain that know about the Great Merge,” Bode said

“So, why are you here?” Celestia raised an eyebrow at them

“Well we found a Prophecy about you,” Croaker answered, pulling a sphere out of his pocket. “Dumbledore thinks it’s about your brother, and only Charles can remove it from the Hall of Prophecy. However, we only told him that to keep his nose out of our business”

“There’s a prophecy about me?” Sunset wondered, looking at the sphere

“Yes,” Bode replied. “Do you wish to hear it?”

Sunset looked at her parents, who nodded in encouragement. “I guess so”

“Already, here it is,” Croaker said, he then tapped the sphere with his wand. They listened as a foggy voiced started speaking…

“The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches… Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies… and the Dark Lord will mark them as his equal, but they will have power the Dark Lord knows not… and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives… the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies…”

After listening to the prophecy, the King family sat there processing what they just heard. Sunset started to feel upset when she went over a certain part of the prophecy. “So, what that basically saying is that I have to kill Voldemort for it to be completed?”

“No! I will not allow it! Not my little phoenix!” Sombra said, hugging Sunset and Celestia close to him

“Don’t worry,” Croaker held up a hand to stop any hasty actions. “We’ve already had a close look at the prophecy, and we noticed that where it says, ‘the hand of the other’, it does specify if it means physical hand.”

“What does that mean?” Celestia worried her lip

“It means that, hypothetically, if she were to have someone else act as her ‘hand’, that should be enough to complete the prophecy without her having blood on her hands,” Bode explained. “And since we’re pretty much, well, trained to do this sort of thing, it’s only right that we offer our services to do it”

“That does sound better,” Sunset said thoughtfully. “But does that mean I will have to come out to Britain about being the Girl-Who-Lived?”

“No,” Croaker shook his head, pulling out a piece of parchment. “Like we said before, we are the only ones who know that information. We have already signed a special contract, that basically once we get back to Britain, the magic of the contract will erase our memories. The only thing we will remember is that the Girl-Who-Lived said yes to us being her ‘hand’ and that’s all.”

“Oh, Ok,” Sunset said, she then pointed at the parchment in his hand. “What’s that?”

“This is a contract, basically saying you have given permission for us to be your hand,” Croaker answered, showing the contract to the family. “We advise that you sign in your original name, because one, it was the name you had when the prophecy was made. And two, when it is revealed that you are the Girl-Who-Lived, when they go looking for you, they’ll be looking for a Harriet Potter not a Sunset King”

“Fair enough,” Sombra agreed with that plan

“OK,” Sunset said, leaning over to the coffee table and signed the parchment. Once that was done, she handed the contract back to the Unspeakables. The moment the contract was in their hands, the prophecy sphere glowed and then went dim. “What was that?”

“I do believe that was the prophecy accepting this arrangement,” Bode answered

“Well, now that that’s taken care of, we’ll now get out of your hair,” Croaker said as both men stood up to go. “It was nice meeting you Miss King, but let’s hope you never have to deal with this sort of thing again”

“Thank you,” Sunset smiled at the men, then she ran into the kitchen, coming out holding a pie. “I know you won’t remember who gave you this after you leave, but here’s an apple pie, straight from our neighbours the Apples, the best apple pie makers in Canterlot City”

“Thank you, Miss King,” Croaker took the pie from her. The two men walked out and the took a portkey back to England

“Well,” Sombra started. “This has been an interesting evening. Shall we just order in”

“I could go for some pizza,” Celestia agreed. “How about you Sunset?”

“Yea, sounds good,” Sunset nodded. “I’m just glad I don’t have to worry about that prophecy. The only thing I have to worry about now is what our new band is going to sing at the Spring Carnival”

“Band?” Sombra raised an eyebrow. As Sunset explain the Rainbooms to Sombra, Celestia order pizza. They spent the rest of the night eating pizza and watching movies, the prophecy now mostly forgotten.


The Monday after the unexpected visit, Sunset told the girls all about the prophecy, who all accepted Sunset’s decision, although Rainbow still thought it would have been awesome to fight about a bad guy.

It was soon time for the Spring Carnival. The newly named Rainbooms had spent the last couple of months practicing different songs. They picked cheerful songs to help cheer up the students who just got back from Crystal Prep after another defeat at the Friendship Games.

They even decided on an original song that Fluttershy had wrote. Rainbow really wanted to do one of her songs, but as Sunset pointed out that while they are good songs, they’re all about Rainbow, which is not what the school needed right now.

After a day of riding the Ferris wheel and roller-coaster, playing the side games, and taking funny photos in the photobooth, the girls walked out on stage for their debut as the Rainbooms. They played songs such as ‘Celebration’, ‘Shake It Off’ and ‘Firework’. After a great rendition of ‘Try Everything’, it was time for their original song

“Hey everyone,” Sunset spoke into the mic. “I hope you’ve enjoyed our music so far.” The audience cheered. Once they settled down, Sunset continued, “Just one more song tonight, and it’s an original song, written by our Fluttershy,” She smiled over at her friend, who was trying her best to hide behind her tambourine, before turning back to the crowd. “We hope you enjoy it.”

The girls started play and sing…

Rainbooms:

Oh, aw aw oh, oh oh, aw oh uh

Oh, aw aw oh, oh oh

Looking forward to some fun

Knowing all our friends will come

‘Cause we’re here to spend the day

Everybody come and play

Let’s all pick a meeting place

And we’re gonna have to race

Everybody follow me

This is where we’re gonna be!

With my best friends, though we’re different

We feel like we still belong

And every day it makes our friendship strong

Let’s go find some games to win

Everybody’s joining in

‘Cause we’re having such a blast

Applejack:

Hey, did I just come in last?

Rainbooms:

Doesn’t matter win or lose

When we always are amused

My friends stand out in a crowd

Having fun and laughing loud!

With my best friends, we can depend

They will always follow through

It’s a perfect day for fun when I spend it with you

Oh, aw aw oh, oh, oh, aw oh uh

Oh, aw aw oh, oh, oh

Taking photos with my friends

Never want this day to end

But the time is going fast

So come on and make it last

Get the band up on the stage

Doesn’t matter what your age

Hear the music, now’s your chance

Everybody start to dance!

With my best friends, though we’re different

We feel like we still belong

And every day it makes our friendship strong

With my best friends, we can depend

They will always follow through

There’s a guarantee for fun when I spend it with you”

The crowd went wild when they finished. The girls smiled at each other and moved to the front of the stage, where they gave a big bow. Soon it was time go home.

“That was a great performance, Sunset,” Sombra commented as they drove home.

“Thanks,” Sunset blushed as the praise

“I hope you know that after that, people will be expecting you to perform at events like this,” Celestia pointed out

“Maybe not all time, but we will see,” Sunset shrugged, still smiling. She didn’t stop smiling for the whole night, not even when she went to sleep.


Dear journal,

It’s almost time for summer and I am so excited. It helps that we now have a new member of the family. Aunt Luna finally had her baby, and it was a girl, meaning they had to go with Uncle Discord’s name choice, Screwball. With both Aunt and Uncle’s joker personalities, something tells me she’s going to be a handful.

As for summer, Dad’s decided we are going to Disney World over in Florida! I can’t wait! I’ve already decided to keep an eye out for either a Merida or Black Widow costume for Halloween. Dad also said if I’m good and if we have time, on the way back, we might stop at Disneyland here in California. In other words, it’s going to be a Disney theme summer for me. The girls have already asked me to take lots of photos.

Who knows, maybe I’ll get some inspirations for the band while I’m there. Anyway, that’s it for now.

Sunset King