• Published 12th Jul 2021
  • 2,972 Views, 69 Comments

Phoenix Magic - Magic Kitsune Brony



What if there was more to Sunset Shimmer and the world beyond the mirror portal than first thought?

  • ...
13
 69
 2,972

Chapter 7

The talent show was only a week away and Sunset was both excited and nervous, or 'nervicited' as Pinkie Pie called it. She had been practicing ever since she saw the song in one of the movies she watched for inspiration. She just hopes she does well at the show.

“Hey Rarity,” Sunset said to her friend as they walked to history class. “I was wondering if you could help me do up a costume for the talent show.”

“Oh, darling, I already have some ideas for you,” Rarity smiled at her. “I was just waiting for you to asked. Here, let me know if any of these tickles your fancy.” She passed her sketchbook to Sunset as they sat down for class.

By the end of class, not only did they learn about the Great Merge, but Sunset had decided on a simple red long-sleeved dress with a black belt around stomach area. Rarity promised to have the dress ready for the show.

“By the way, Rarity,” Sunset smiled at the fashionista. “Have you given any thought on how you are going to get votes for the fall formal?”

“Not yet darling,” Rarity sighed tiredly. The other girls joined them as they headed to the cafeteria. They started chatting about the upcoming talent show.

“So, other than me singing,” Sunset said as they sat down at their table. “Anyone else doing anything for the talent show?”

“Well, I talked with the animal shelter,” Fluttershy replied. “And they said I could borrow some of their dogs to do tricks on stage.”

“That sounds awesome Flutters,” Rainbow smiled at the shy girl.

“It is, not only do I get to do tricks with the dogs, but if I mention in my performance that they are adoptable, hopeful they can find a new home afterwards,” Fluttershy explained.

“Aww, that’s a wonderful idea,” Rarity said.

“Thanks.”

“What about you Rares?” Rainbow asked.

“Oh, I was thinking of doing a beautiful performance on the piano,” Rarity said, flipping her hair. “And you, Dash?”

“I was going to do an awesome guitar solo,” Rainbow replied.

“Are you doing anything?” Sunset asked turning to the last two girls. “Applejack? Pinkie?”

“Nah, I’ll sit this one out. I’ll just cheer you all on,” Applejack smiled.

“That’s sweet of you, AJ,” Fluttershy grinned shyly.

“Well, I’m going to do some cupcake juggling,” Pinkie said jumping up and down.

“That sounds a bit messy,” Rainbow said.

“Yep, messy but delicious,” Pinkie exclaimed.

“I was thinking,” Sunset started. “Why don’t we have a sleepover at one of our houses the night before the show and formal?”

“Oh my god!” Pinkie exclaimed with a big grin on her face. “A sleepover! Sign me up!”

“That’s an absolutely fabulous idea, darling,” Rarity agreed.

There was a round of agreements, and they decided the night before the talent show the sleepover would be held at Fluttershy’s. And the sleepover before the formal would be held at Applejack’s. After sorting out their plans they headed to class


It was nearing the end of the Talent Show. So far all of Sunset’s friends who were doing something in it had done their act, now it was time for Sunset’s performance. She clapped as Rarity walked off the stage after a great performance on the piano.

“Wow, Rarity,” Sunset complimented. “That was great.”

“Thank you, darling,” Rarity bowed dramatically. “Are you ready for your turn?”

“Yep, though I am a little nervous,” Sunset paced a little. “What if I make a fool of myself.”

“You won’t Sunny,” Pinkie encouraged. “You’ve been practicing since you figured out what song you’re going to do, you’ll be fine.”

“Ok, thanks for the pep talk, Pinks,” Sunset smiled.

“No prob,” Pinkie waved her off.

“And last but not least,” Luna announced, looked at the list of performances. “I want you all to give a round of applause for Sunset King!” Sunset walked onto stage as the audience clapped.

“So, Sunset what will you be doing tonight?” Luna asked her, for the benefit of the crowd.

“I’m going to be singing,” Sunset answered, smiling nervously.

Luna nodded before looked back at the crowd. “Again, Sunset King!” She exclaimed into the microphone before handing it to Sunset, whispering. “Good Luck, Kiddo.”

Sunset nodded in thanks, before facing the audience, clearing her throat and then started to sing.

“Mhm, mhm, yeah

Everybody’s got a thing

But some don’t know how to handle it

Always reachin’ out in vain

Just takin’ the things not worth having

But don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing, mama

‘Cause I’ll be standin’ on the side

When you check it out, oh

They say your style of life’s a drag

And that you must go other places

Just don’t you feel too bad

When you get fooled by smiling faces.”

Sunset was dancing as she sung. Some people in the audience were starting to get up and dance to the music with her.

“Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing, baby

‘Cause I’ll be standin’ on the side

When you check it out

When you get off your trip

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

(Come on)

Everybody needs a change

A chance to check out the new, yeah

You’re the only one to sees

The changes you take yourself through

Oh-oh-oh-ooh-oh-oh-oh

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Oh

Pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa

Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa

Pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa

Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing, mama

‘Cause I’ll be standin’ on the side

When you check it out

When you get off your trip.”

By this time all the audience were on their feet either dancing or singing along as Sunset came to the end of the song

“Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing, mama

‘Cause I’ll be standin’ on the side

When you check it out

Don’t you worry

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing, mama

‘Cause I’ll be standin’ (I’ll be standin; for you)

Oh-oh-ooh-oh-ooh

Oh-oh-oh

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing!”

The audience busted into applause. Luna came back onto the stage to take the microphone and calm the crowd down. “Give it up for Sunset everyone!” Sunset waved to everyone as she walked off the stage to where her friends were.

“That was totally awesome!” Rainbow exclaimed

“Wow, Sunset, you have such a beautiful voice,” Fluttershy complimented.

“Thanks, Flutters,” Sunset thanked her.

“Sssshhh, they’re about to announce the winners,” Pinkie said, and they turn to the stage.

“In third place, with her adorable dog tricks, we have…” Luna read the paper. “Fluttershy!”

“Way ago Fluttershy!”

“Oh, thank you,” Fluttershy said as she went to get her ribbon and mini trophy.

“In second place, with her amazing singing…” Luna announced. “Sunset!”

“WOO!! Go Sunset!”

“Yeah, Sunset!”

“Thank you!” Sunset said as she too went to get her ribbon and trophy.

“And because of her incredible dance routine, the winner of this year’s talent show is…” Luna paused for effect. “Derpy!”

“Go, Derpy!”

“Congrats, Derpy,” Sunset said as the blonde stood next her.

“Thank you, Sunset,” Derpy smiled at her. “No hard feeling, I really thought you were going to win.”

“Nah, the best girl won tonight, and that girl is you. I’ll just have to try harder next year,” Sunset said. “Though, I got to ask if you could teach me some of those moves of yours.” Derpy laughed and agreed as the three girls turned back to the crowd as they bowed to the applause.


Soon it was time for the Fall Formal. Rarity really came through with the dresses, Sunset smiled as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. She was wearing the white with gold dress Rarity had made for her. Celestia took a photo of the group as they arrived at the school after spending an afternoon at the spa and stopping at Rarity’s to pick up the dresses.

“Oh, don’t you all look stunning,” Celestia complimented. “You out did yourself, Rarity.”

“Thanks, mom,” Sunset smiled at her.

“Yes, thank you, Principal Celestia,” Rarity blushed, as they walked into the gym.

“Well, I need to go check the music booth, you girls have fun,” Celestia walked over to where her sister was talking with Vinyl.

“Come on, girls,” Applejack said. “I think saw some non-alcoholic cider at the drinks table.”

“Sound goods, AJ,” Sunset and the others followed the country girl to the table covered in drinks. As they walked Sunset heard multiple people wishing both Rarity and her luck

“Good luck Sunset,” Flash said as they arrived at the drinks table. “You too, Rarity”

“Thank you, Flash,” Rarity said.

“Um, yeah, thanks,” Sunset smiled at the boy, and then help the others collect their drinks. They chatted at they found a place to relax before joining the dancing. “How are you feeling Rarity? Nervous?”

“A little darling,” Rarity nodded. “But no matter who wins tonight, we’ll still be friends, right?”

“Of course, Rares. Now, let’s go and enjoy the party,” Sunset suggested, with the girls agreeing with her. After finishing off their drinks, they spent the next hour dancing and having fun. Soon it was time for the crowning the formal princess.

“OK, settle down everyone,” Celestia said, as she walked on to the stage, followed by Luna who was carrying the box that the crown sat in.

“Now we come to time of night where we announce the Fall Formal Princess,” Luna said, as she opened the box to reveal a gold crown with a golden flower on top of it. “You have all placed your votes, and number is in.”

“This year’s Fall Formal Princess is…” Celestia paused as she opened the envelope and read it. “Sunset King!”

“What!” Sunset was shocked as she stood frozen as the other students clapped for her.

“You won the crown, Sunset!” Pinkie exclaimed, jumping up and down in excitement.

“Well, go on, darling,” Rarity said as she gave Sunset a nudge towards the stage, snapping her out of her stupor. “Go and get your crown.”

“Congratulations, Sunset,” Celestia smiled as Luna place the crown on her daughter’s head. “You earned this.”

“Thanks Mom,” Sunset said, blushing and waving to the other students who were going crazy.

“Well, your highness,” Celestia teased. “Why don’t you go and have fun?”

“Ok, Mom,” Sunset giggled, before heading back over to her friends and continued to enjoy the rest of the night.


Dear Journal,

Its been two weeks since I was crowned fall formal princess. I still can’t believe I won, I really thought Rarity would win. Some people have even been calling me princess, along with my other nickname Phoenix, in a good way though.

Halloween was fun, I decided to go with the phoenix theme and dressed up as Jean Grey from X-Men. Rarity had fun making that costume.

Recently I’ve been getting a weird feeling every time I walk past the portal agency. I feel like something important is going to happen with the portal there. I just hope it’s not anything bad.

Well, that’s all, so let’s see how the rest of year goes.

Sunset out