• Published 21st Jul 2021
  • 423 Views, 27 Comments

On a Riverboat to the Sea - Jarvy Jared



Twilight Velvet and Night Light attend a riverboat cruise to the sea.

  • ...
2
 27
 423

Chapter Three: Leaning over the wooden railing

She was awake by eight in the morning and found Night in the living room, blinking at her. “Guess I never made it to the bed, huh?” Night Light rubbed the back of his neck. More trenches dug across his face. Still, he didn’t look too bothered, and while his mane was a mess, it helped obscure the grayness growing there.

“We need coffee,” Velvet said. “And waffles.” Waffles were the best breakfast food, no matter what her daughter said, that pancake-loving traitor.

After freshening up, they left the suite and traveled down to the main deck, where the dining room was. It was a luxurious setting, with round, patterned tables, tall vertical windows looking out the sides of the ship, and crystal chandeliers. Many of the ship’s passengers were already seated, but, beckoned by the sea breeze and the warm morning sun, some had decided to eat out on the front porch café.

Velvet and Night sat at one of the empty tables nearest to the windows. At the other end of the room was a line of passengers getting their meals. The smell of fresh fruit, syrup, fried hay, and waffles popped and buzzed in Velvet’s head. A speaker attached in the corner connected to the Grand Galloping Saloon on the other end of the ship, allowing them to hear the band playing a calm, morning jazz piece.

“Do you want to get food now or wait until the line thins a bit?” Velvet asked.

“I can wait. I want my coffee first, anyway.” Night looked out the window. “Wow, that’s quite the view.”

She looked through it as well. They had traveled a good distance overnight. Though land still surrounded them on all sides, the river was beginning to widen, and any prominent shoreline features were starting to blur. The Regent was traveling smoothly, rolling along with the waves without a sense of either urgency or impatience.

A waiter came and asked what they would like to drink. Night asked for his coffee. Velvet asked for her own and a cup of orange juice. The waiter wrote this all down and then left, though not before recommending they should go for the waffles the moment they had the chance. Clearly, he had good taste.

Velvet returned to looking out the window. Her mind drifted back and forth from that to her failed letter.

“You all right, Vel?” Night asked. “You seem out of it.”

“I guess I’m still trying to wake up, that’s all.”

“Right.” His brow was furrowed and his lips were twitching. This was that look—the one he wore when the house had gone quiet while their kids were still in it… the kids who were now no longer kids, who were prince and princess respectively…

“Excuse me, may we join you two?” a male voice asked.

A unicorn couple had approached their table. They were old. The stallion wore an antiquated two-tailed suit, which complemented his slate coat, and he bore a kind smile with pink, fleshy gums and teeth that seemed to roll back into his mouth. The chalky-gray mare wore a fluffy bell dress and a bonnet that obscured her mane. Her frown seemed to cause the rest of her face to sag.

“Sure, mister,” Night said. He lit his horn and pulled out the two other chairs at their table. “You’re from Vanhoover, aren’t you?”

The stallion sat down, laughing. “I am! How on Equestria did you tell so quickly?”

“It’s something in your voice—not quite an accent, but similar. You see, I have a few friends from there.”

“You pick them well.” The stallion raised a hoof and tapped himself on the chest. “Cobalt Crescent, my dear fellow. And this here is my lovely wife, Frigid Waters.”

Frigid didn’t show any sign of acknowledgement. She had taken the seat opposite of Velvet, and was staring through the window. Her eyes were the color of sapphires but as sharp as the jeweler’s knife.

“It’s nice to meet you, Cobalt,” Night said. “I’m Night Light, and this is my wife, Twilight Velvet.”

Neither reacted to their names. Perhaps they didn’t recognize them. Cobalt simply said, “A pleasure meeting you both on this fine cruise ship.”

It was then that Frigid spoke. “It’s a riverboat.” Hers was a difficult voice to describe. The closest that Velvet could think of was the sound ice floats make when they rub against one another, a crisp, unsettling sound. She hadn’t turned her head.

Cobalt folded his ears, but maintained his smile. “Right! A riverboat. I was never clear about the difference…”

“Especially since,” Night said, smiling, “they both go out to sea.”

“Ha! We’ve only just met, but I think I’m going to like you, Night.”

Just then, the waiter came with Night and Velvet’s drinks. He asked what Cobalt and Frigid would like, but Cobalt ended up answering for the two of them.

He clapped his hooves after the waiter left, his head gravitating towards the buffet table. “It looks like the line is ready. How about we all go up and grab a bite before we continue getting to know one another?”

They got up—all but Frigid. She was still staring out the window. Cobalt cleared his throat. “Er, dear?”

“You go on,” she said quietly. “I’ll get my food when I’m ready.”

Her name struck Velvet as increasingly more fitting. But it couldn’t be helped. The three of them left her and joined the food line.

“Your wife,” Velvet began before she thought better of it. “I mean—”

“Cold, right?” Cobalt grinned at her. He looked almost impish. “You wouldn’t be the first pony to point that out to me.”

“She seems nice,” Night said without a trace of irony.

“She is, once you get to know her. Maybe you will later on this voyage.” Cobalt chuckled, before his gaze turned suddenly wistful. “You can’t tell by looking at her, but she’s probably the most determined mare I know. Why, she’s practically responsible for getting my restaurant business up and running—more than I ever could!”

“You’re in the restaurant business?” Night asked.

“Yes! The first of its kind in all of Equestria…” He went on to explain, while Night listened. Velvet, however, quickly tuned the conversation out.

She glanced behind. There Frigid still sat, watching as the water and land continued to pass them. When the waiter came and set down their drinks, Frigid didn’t turn her head to acknowledge him. There was something indisputably alluring about the older mare. Perhaps it was because of whatever it was that specifically drew her attention outside. But for the life of her, Velvet couldn’t think of what could be so interesting.

The jazzy song finished playing, and claps sounded all around. The musicians moved onto the next set—something of a mix between Caribou and Zebra traditional music. Some of the livelier passengers got up and started dancing in-line, with some staff coming by and stomping to the beat. It was an enjoyable display. And yet, Frigid remained unmoving as ever, still as ice. In return, Velvet was, too. Though the line moved and she moved with it, the rest of her seemed to be back in her seat, watching Frigid, trying to piece her together.

After they got their food, they returned to the table. Night and Cobalt continued their enthusiastic conversation—now they were talking about the change in music, it seemed. Velvet was only partly surprised at how quickly they’d become friends. Even in the long line of things that inevitably changed, a friendship between older stallions about their idiosyncratic interests would always remain.

When they sat down, Frigid actually turned her head. She looked over their food, and stared for maybe a half-second longer at Velvet’s stack of waffles. “Looks good,” she said. Then without another word she got up and joined the line herself.

Cold mare, Velvet found herself thinking. She felt a little bit guilty, even though Cobalt had said the same thing. She watched Frigid for a time and decided that regardless of what he believed, she wouldn’t mind not getting to know the other mare better. Besides, Frigid didn’t seem the type to care about her.

“Sugar, Vel?” Night asked, holding the shaker in his magic. She accepted, and eagerly coated her waffles.


“Are you, by any chance, a fan of card games, Night?” Cobalt asked after they’d finished eating.

“I know my way around a deck, if that's what you’re asking.”

“Splendid! There’s a poker lounge on the deck above us, and they’re having a small tournament later on today. I’d ask Frigid, but I doubt she’d be interested.” He winked at his wife, who characteristically didn’t respond. She was stirring a saucer of coffee with the same kind of detachment.

“How about you?” Cobalt continued. “It shouldn’t be too high-stakes.”

Night smiled, but turned meekly to Velvet. She playfully rolled her eyes. “So long as you don’t gamble away all of our assets, dear.”

“What about you, then?”

“I think I’m going to go walk around for a bit and burn this meal off.” Velvet looked at Frigid, about to ask if she’d like to join, but thought better of it. “You two go have fun. I’ll catch up with you later.”

Like two foals given early recess, Night and Cobalt clapped their hooves and grinned. They got up and trotted happily out of the dining room.

After Velvet finished her coffee and juice, she looked at Frigid, but didn’t know what to say. “Excuse me,” she murmured to the air before standing up and leaving.

Down the central corridor she went, which she found to be quite spacious. None of the passers-by really paid her any attention. She passed a few staterooms as well as the passageway leading to the Grand Galloping Saloon, but she didn’t enter. At the other end of the corridor was a blue arrow with white text reading ENGINE ROOM. There was a sizable crowd in the doorway. Having nothing better to do, Velvet joined them.

A crewmember was talking at length about the room. Behind her was a large metal frame with dials and gauges attached to the face. The crewmember had to shout to be heard, as several stainless-steel pistons were busy pumping back and forth in a loud manner. There were other sounds, too: bells and whistles of things that didn’t mean a thing to Velvet.

“This,” the crew member was shouting, “is a four-cylinder, horizontally-inclined, tandem-piston, steeple compounded, double-acting reciprocating steam engine! It’s what powers the two paddlewheels of the ship! Now, I know that’s a lot, so I’ll try to break it down! When I say that this is ‘steeple compounded,’ I mean—” Her words were lost in the pumping of other noises.

Velvet looked around at the other passengers. They all appeared interested, though none seemed to understand whatever the crewmember had just said. Another crewpony came by, asking the crowd to shuffle in, and as he left, there appeared an open space. Through it, Velvet saw the yellow pegasus and Galahad she’d seen earlier. His mom, Velvet remembered with a start.

Galahad frowned and gulped several times. It didn’t take long for Velvet to guess why. Along with the cramped interior, more than a few passengers were giving him sidelong glances. He shuffled on his talons, but didn’t alert his mom.

But not every pony there was like that. As another crew member passed through, she thanked Galahad for moving quickly, and while he didn’t smile, the frown did subside.

The noise quieted down just enough for the engineer’s voice to be heard again. “Here you can see some of the devices that make sure the engine is running smoothly.” She pointed to what looked like a small metal cylinder that had water boiling inside. There was an orbular weight attached to it. “This is our safety valve. It helps determine our steam pressure, which is what the boat runs off of. By adjusting the weight, we can keep the pressure below a certain limit, shown by this valve. If the pressure builds too much, the valve can open up and let out steam in order to release it!”

Galahad looked up at that. There was a twinkle in his eye—curiosity, obviously, but something else. Excited, he flapped his wings to get a better view, startling his mother. “Galahad, wait—”

“Hey!” another passenger exclaimed angrily. “We’re in a crowded room, for Celestia’s sake! You’re gonna poke someone’s eye out, featherbrain!”

Galahad’s face fell, and so did he. His mother was less mollified. She rounded on the irate passenger. “How dare you—” Her words were drowned out again by the other noises, but had their intended effect; the passenger quelled, muttered an apology, and shuffled to an unseen corner.

The ones closest to them visibly, if subtly, squirmed. “I swear,” Galahad’s mother said, rolling her eyes, “ponies somehow get meaner the further from land they go.” She huffed. “Don’t worry, Galahad. We’ll be back home before you know it.”

But Galahad didn’t answer. He clenched his eyes shut and his beak trembled. Some water leaked out. Velvet knew that look. Shining would be aghast to know this, but he’d made that look more than a few times when he was younger.

But rather than devolving into a tantrum, Galahad about-faced and shot off. He would have cleared the room easily had Velvet not accidentally been standing in his path of escape.

The collision puffed the air out of Velvet’s lungs. Both fell, Galahad with a cry, Velvet with a gurgle, much to her embarrassment. Luckily, because the distance had been short enough, he hadn’t been able to generate a maximum amount of force. Still, it was enough that in the morning she would be feeling it.

Galahad slid off of her just as Velvet heard the pegasus shove several ponies out of the way. As Velvet tried to remember how to breathe, the pegasus was cradling him, checking him over. That maternal display more than made up for the pain in Velvet’s chest.

She got to her hooves, now back to breathing. Galahad squirmed in his mother’s hooves, but she refused to let him out. “What have I told you about flying off without looking where you’re going?”

Galahad didn’t say anything, though, causing her to develop a concerned frown.

Velvet took a step forward. “Is he all right? Any bumps or bruises showing?”

“No, not that I can see,” the pegasus replied without looking at her. He finally squirmed his way out of her grip and returned to the floor.

“What about you? He didn’t hurt you, did he?” She turned her head finally.

Velvet was about to lie, when the pegasus made a strange, gasping sound, sounding disturbingly like the steamboat’s thin whistle. Even Galahad cocked his head.

Velvet took a cautious step forward. “Er, miss…?”

“You’re her,” the mare replied, first quietly; then she repeated it, much louder and more shrill: “You’re her!

Ah. Of course. Velvet tried for a smile. “Uh, yes. I’m—”

The pegasus rushed forward and took her hoof and began to shake it furiously. “Ohmigosh, I can’t believe it! You’re really her! Princess Twilight Sparkle’s mother!” She let out a filly-level squeal. Only then did she stop shaking, but Velvet didn’t have a chance to step back; the pegasus began flapping her wings and floated in the air, her hooves on her cheeks. “Oh, you have no idea how much I’ve wanted to meet you, all the things I wanted to ask, to say, you know, as a mother myself, and—”

The rest of her words were drowned out by the other ponies in the room starting to murmur excitedly: “The princess’s mother? Really?” and “I can’t believe it!” and even “I knew she looked familiar! What’s she doing on this tiny boat? Shouldn’t she be living it up?” At once, the already cramped engine room became even tighter.

Then the pegasus let out another gasp. “Did he hurt you? Oh, please, please tell me he didn’t! I swear, he’s not usually this clumsy, please don’t be mad!”

“I’m not,” Velvet said. She tried for a laugh, but felt a bit of pain, so she settled for a cough.

“Are you sure? I-I mean, if you say so…”

The pegasus’s timid demeanor must have been a shock to Galahad, for he bore a look of utter bewilderment. His eyes showed no recognition of Velvet’s significance. Strangely, this made her feel relieved, though he couldn’t place why.

“Galahad?” the pegasus asked. “Would you please apologize?” She was smiling, yes, but it was the same smile Twilight Sparkle wore the one time she returned with a B instead of an A.

Galahad shuffled on his feet, then murmured to the floor: “Sorry, Mom.”

“Not to me, sweetie, to her, please!”

Galahad turned his whole body to face Velvet. “Sorry, miss…”

Realizing what was missing, she said, as kindly as she could, “Twilight Velvet, dear. And it’s all right. Nopony was hurt.” She couldn’t refrain from wincing, and hoped neither noticed.

Somehow the excitement in the chamber dissipated almost as quickly as it came, perhaps because the pistons gave a mighty shudder. The engineer didn’t appear to have noticed all the commotion, and continued her presentation unabated. At the sound of her voice, Galahad and his mother turned away momentarily.

Velvet took that chance to quietly leave the room. She tried not to think too badly of herself for doing so, but, really, she knew she ought to lie down for a bit, make sure nothing serious had occurred to her.

But Galahad’s twisted face haunted her all the way to her cabin.