• Published 24th May 2021
  • 598 Views, 36 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow- A Redux - SapphireRose87



I'm Betty Jewel and after smashing a villian named Cozy Glow's statue, her ghost now follows me around.

  • ...
21
 36
 598

9) Trial Run Assignment

{Betty}

The next time I opened my eyes, I found myself in my bedroom, lying on my bed, in my pajamas. I really hate power surges! They're getting on my last nerve!

I looked over to see Norman and Fluttershy sitting at my bedside, nodding off. Fluttershy had her head at the edge of my bed sound asleep.

"Hi Norman…" I mumbled.

Norman's eyes snapped open and Fluttershy woke up instantly at the sound of my voice.

Fluttershy had a look of relief on her face. "Oh good, Betty you're finally awake!"

"Uh, finally awake?" I asked. "How long was I out?"

"Two days." Norman answered.

"Two days!" I panicked. "But my tracking assignment is supposed to be tomorrow!"

Fluttershy shook her head. "Nope, it's been pushed back for two more days. Actually, this is a trial run before you start your real assignment."

I tilted my head. "Trial run?"

"Yup," said Fluttershy after she nodded, "it's to see how well a Death Walker takes down a threat. You will have a team of three to back you up, in case you get into trouble, but that's all they are there for."

"So why do I need a team of 55 to track down Tirek?" I questioned.

"Well it's not just Tirek that's broken out of the prison in the Middle Ground. It's at least 200 others that have broken out also." Fluttershy explained.

"Prison in the Middle Ground?" Norman said with a confused look.

"You see Norman, the Prison in the Middle Ground is another place where souls are sorted into, if the Afterlife Court decides that’s where they need to go. Honestly, to me it's a slap on the wrist for a punishment." Fluttershy answered. "So because those souls have escaped from the prison, they need to be captured and returned. If not, then they could harm people or ponies."

"Well no one's getting harmed on my watch!" I declared.

Fluttershy smiled. "I know, but for now you need to rest. So your Death Walker training is canceled until after your trial run assignment. I have a list of who your team will be."

Fluttershy handed me a piece of paper and I looked at it and it said the names of my team:

Mr. Harmony

Lyra Heartstrings

Ms. Levi

The fact that Lyra Heartstrings was on my team piqued my curiosity. "Why is Lyra Heartstrings on my backup team?"

"Oh, Lyra Heartstrings has certain special talents," said Fluttershy, "just like the other two on your team do. They will make a good back up team if I do say so myself. And you're going after Queen Chrysalis first."

"Why Queen Chrysalis?" Cozy Glow asked. "From what I remember she's the strongest out of the three of us before we got turned to stone."

Fluttershy shrugged. "I don't know if that's why they're sending Betty after Queen Chrysalis first."

From the looks of it, Cozy Glow didn't like this idea at all. She frowned. "Well golly, if that's what Betty has to do, then fine. But you know, I still don't like it."

"Don't worry Cozy," I said, "I will do everything in my power to capture Queen Chrysalis."

Cozy Glow continued to frown with visible uncertainty and I didn't blame her. Not one little bit.

* * *

Two days later was my trial run assignment. When I met up with my emergency support team, they seemed excited to work with me, as I figured they would be, since I’m a new Death Walker.

"Well now," said Lyra Heartstrings with excitement, "I get to work with the new Death Walker! How exciting!" as she was practically jumping up and down on her hooves with her excitement.

I ignored it, because I wasn't really concerned about that at the time being. "So are you guys up for this?"

Mr. Harmony nodded. "Sure! Question is though, are you ready for this Ms. Death Walker?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm about as ready as I'll ever be. Anyway, Queen Chrysalis' last known location was Grogar's cave. So let's head over there first."

"Right!" Lyra, Mr. Harmony and Ms. Levi said, almost in unison.

We headed over to Grogar's cave and I scanned the area with my tracking abilities, but found nothing at first. Then I saw her. Queen Chrysalis laughed wickedly as she stepped out of the shadows. "It's about time they sent someone after Tirek and I! However, you were taking so long, Tirek got bored and left." She paused when she saw me. "Well, well, well! It seems like the 'Child of Prophecy' has been sent to capture me! Although she doesn't really look like the child of prophecy now does she? At least not to me she doesn't." She smiled and readied her combat stance.

"I have a name you know!" I snapped. "It's Betty! I know because you're looking dead at me. As far as the Child of Prophecy goes, I have no idea what you're talking about. But that doesn't matter! You're going back to the Land of the Dead where you rightfully belong!"

Queen Chrysalis laughed as if I had told the best joke ever.

Now's the perfect time to strike! I thought. Before Queen Chrysalis could finish her laughter, I summoned my fire powers by taking a deep breath and letting it out. A huge ball of fire hit Queen Chrysalis and slammed her up against the cave's wall with a resounding thud. She got to her hooves and snarled at me, "You're going to pay for that!"

I snickered as I shouted, “Bring it on!” back to her. Chrysalis lit up her horn and shot a beam of light at me, which I promptly caught and threw back to her. As the fight dragged on, it seemed that me and Queen Chrysalis were evenly matched. And then, in the middle of the battle it happened. I felt a small surge of power go through me and my muscles tensed up. Hell no! I'm not passing out! Not now! I'm taking this threat down if it's the last thing I do!

Queen Chrysalis saw me struggling and laughed, "It may be better for you to admit defeat and pass out already! I will go down in history for killing the 'Child of Prophecy!"

I grit my teeth and continued to fight. I guess Queen Chrysalis got tired of the fight and started to fly up to a nearby cliff within the large chasm.

"Looks like I have the high ground on this one!" Queen Chrysalis said.

"Oh, no you don't!" I snarled, before using my light powers to put a barrier around her to hold her in place.

"Unhand me now Death Walker!" Queen Chrysalis demanded.

"Betty, catch!" Mr. Harmony said as he tossed me the crystal prism that could be used to contain a soul that's escaped from the prison in the Middle Ground. I caught it and aimed it at Queen Chrysalis. I smiled as I heard her screaming while she was sucked into it.

Right after that, I couldn't fight the power surge I was having anymore, so my muscles tensed up more urgently as I fought it. I sank to the ground in pain and Mr. Harmony came over to pick me up in his arms. "It's okay Betty! The assignment is complete. You can sleep now..."

I stopped fighting the power surge to let it overtake me as I felt safe in Mr. Harmony’s arms, before quietly passing out.

* * *

{Norman}

I couldn't help but be worried about Betty, even though I knew she wouldn't have trouble completing her assignment. I worried a lot and felt so jumpy that I could barely sit still, and so, I didn't sit down, instead, choosing to pace back and forth in the living room, as I anxiously waited for Betty to return home.

"It's okay Norman," said Discord, "calm down already. I'm sure Betty will get the job done."

"I agree with Norman," said Fluttershy, "being a Death Walker is not only serious, but dangerous too!"

Fluttershy looked up, sniffed the air and smiled. Mr. Harmony didn't even have to knock on the door when Fluttershy opened it in a hurry. I stared in horror as I saw Betty in Mr. Harmony's arms. Even though she was asleep, she looked banged up.

"What happened?" I said.

"She had a power surge during the fight, but she wasn't about to let Queen Chrysalis get away. She just kept fighting through the pain and well, she got the job done!" Mr. Harmony replied.

Mr. Harmony handed Betty over to Fluttershy and took the crystal prism out of his pocket, and sure enough, it had a picture of Queen Chrysalis on it.

Discord smiled. "See? I told you Betty could get the job done. Although, it probably would've been better without that power surge. I can sense her power is growing stronger again. I wonder what other Death Walker abilities Betty will develop this time?"

"Don't know," said Fluttershy, "your guess is as good as mine."

"I do believe this goes to you Discord." Mr. Harmony said, before he tossed over the crystal prism and Discord caught it, while smiling.

"I shall be taking this to the King of Hell," said Discord, "he'll be happy to hear Betty's completed her mission and is ready to go further on the job. Then I'll come back to help take care of Betty." He snapped his claw and with the sound of a pop he disappeared.

I literally bit my tongue trying to keep myself from freaking out over Betty's condition. Fluttershy frowned when she saw Betty's body shaking from the pain. "I'll get Betty cleaned up and get her to bed. I'll call Zecora in the morning to see if there's something she can do for the pain."

I nodded and I felt sorry for Betty. I wished she wasn't a Death Walker. It would be much safer for her if she wasn't one, but I know now there's nothing I can do about it. Knowing how strong Betty is, she can pull through this like a champ.

* * *

{Betty}

When I started to come to, I noticed I couldn't move. I didn't know where I was so I panicked. Where am I? Why can't I move? I need to move!

I regained my senses enough to see that I was in my bedroom, on my bed. But that still didn't explain why I couldn't move. My panic slowly turned into rage when I saw Silver standing on my balcony. Come on Betty! Move! Now!

I was finally able to move my arm, and thankfully, it was the one that had my Death Walker weapon in it and so I took aim at Silver.

"Get. Out. Of. My. Room!" I roared, before throwing my weapon. It almost hit Silver before boomeranging around back to me and so I caught it.

I heard Dae say, "Easy there Betty, you might want to stay put before you hurt yourself!"

I forced myself to get out of bed and snarled, "I don't care."

I turned my weapon into a blade and got behind Silver and put the blade close to his neck. "I swear Silver, the next time you come near my room, I will injure you. I won't think twice about it either! So for once in your life, GET. LOST!"

"Okay, okay I won't come back, I swear! Just don't kill me!" Silver cried while cringing.

"Good," I snarled, "and stay gone!"

Silver flew off with his tail between his legs, and I noticed my muscles were tense but I knew it wasn't coming from a power surge. Dae came over and helped me get back to bed.

"Okay, what type of magic am I under?" I asked.

"I'm impressed," said Dae, "you're in the process of breaking out of the Terror Paralyze spell."

"Why am I under it?" I asked.

"Because you had a really bad power surge fighting Queen Chrysalis," Dae answered, "you've been out for a week. The spell is supposed to keep you from Death Walking and getting out of bed, because you need to rest."

"Why would I be Death Walking when I passed out?" I asked.

"It's thanks to that idiot, Luna. She tried to keep you in the Land of the Dead the whole time. Good thing Fluttershy went to get you before you actually died because of it." Dae said.

"Wait a minute," I said, "why don't I remember any of this?"

"Luna did a spell to put you in limbo, you weren't conscious at all during that time," explained Dae, "she claimed she was just trying to see how well your Death Walker powers were developing but she knows good and well the process for that. She was trying to cut corners. Luna's being punished at the prison in the Middle Ground. She's in solitary confinement so she doesn't try to escape like the other 200 inmates that have broken out earlier. We suspect that she was working with someone too, but she won't say anything about that."

"Oh." I said. I looked at Dae to see he was giving me a weird look. Then he reached over and kissed me. Even though I noticed the kiss broke the spell, I pushed Dae away and thought, There has to be some reasonable explanation for Dae's weirdness. Maybe he's a robot set on romance mode?

Dae snorted. "Did I just hear your thoughts correctly? You think I'm a robot?"

"What," I gave Dae a look to convey I was being serious, "that has to be the reason why you're so weird. If that's not it, then I'm clueless I guess."

Dae saw I was being serious and went into a fit of hard laughter. We suddenly heard a knock on the door and Dae quickly composed himself before walking over to answer it.

Fluttershy came in and smiled when she saw I was awake. "Oh good, Betty you've finally snapped out of it. Did I hear Dae laughing just now?"

Dae nodded. "Yup, Betty seems to think I'm a robot."

Fluttershy cracked up, "Seriously Betty? I don't think he's a robot. Trust me, I would know."

"Well this is Equestria," I reasoned, "I don't think the idea of robot's being created by magic is a far fetched one."

Fluttershy and Dae went into hard laughter at that comment. Which I guess makes sense, because someone kissed you right off the bat when you first wake up, doesn't mean they're a robot. It just means they're weird. Especially when you're not dating the person that kisses you!

Don't worry Betty, Dae thought, I'll win you over sooner or later. I don't blame your stalkers for liking you. You're absolutely adorable!

I didn't think or say a word in response. I didn't have anything to say to him, and so at the moment, I was speechless.

* * *

"I hear you think Dae's a robot now?" Norman asked while snickering slightly.

We were sitting at Sugarcube Corner and eating cupcakes, with vegetarian sandwiches.

"There's got to be some sort of logical explanation as to why Dae is so weird. I mean, first of all, he could barely talk to me at my gotcha day party. Then, he kissed me after that 'friendly dinner date' and he kissed me again right after I woke up from that power surge I had when I fought Queen Chrysalis. I mean, kissing someone that you're not dating? Yeah, that's not weird at all!" I said.

Norman’s giggles suddenly erupted into hard laughter.

"That's not funny Norman!" I growled.

Norman stopped laughing, "I think you're thinking about this way too hard. The guy kissing you is obviously a sign of attraction! Secondly, if you're thinking about the guy that much, I'd say you probably have feelings for him."

I shook my head, "Yeah, no."

"I think Dae would make a great boyfriend for you!" Discord said as he floated over to the table to sit at my left before smiling at me.

I looked over at him and said, "I'm not so sure about that, Discord?"

"Oh please, Betty," said Discord after he waved his eagle claw in the air as if waving away a fly, "call me dad will you? I did adopt you after all!"

"Fine, uh dad," I said. Yeah this feels awkward calling Discord my dad. I continued, "I'm not so sure about Dae being my boyfriend though?" before frowning.

"Actually," said Discord, "I agree with Norman. If you're thinking about someone that much, you like them!"

I felt someone flick my ear and that made it twitch. As soon as I turned around was instantly startled when Dae kissed me. Just like the last time he kissed me, I pushed him away. "What is your obsession with kissing me?"

Dae chuckled. "I don't think it's an obsession, but okay."

Yup, that confirms it. I thought. This weirdo is a robot.

Dae held his hand to his stomach and almost fell over from laughing so hard. "Honestly Betty! I'm not a robot!" He said before shaking his head and composing himself.

I raised an eyebrow. "Uh-huh, yeah sure you're not."

Norman grinned. "Gee, denial much Betty?"

I shook my head. "Yeah no. There's gotta be some logical explanation as to why you're so weird Dae."

"Denial!" Norman said in a sing-song voice.

"Uh, no!" I said in the same tone of voice.

I saw Dae give me a weird look. I had no idea what it meant, but it wasn't the creepy look Norman usually gives me. Something similar to it, although I wasn't sure I wanted to find out what that look was about? "Okay, yeah I'm out of here."

As I started walking away I heard Norman, Dae and Discord go into a fit of laughter as I grimaced away from their view.