• Published 24th May 2021
  • 2,245 Views, 88 Comments

The Gift of Time - Shadow Dragon



On her 1,000,000th birthday Princess Twilight Sparkle receives the greatest gift she could ever hope for, a chance to see her friends again

  • ...
8
 88
 2,245

Spike at School

Twilight tried "Spike...Spike wake up...get up Spike." No response but she kept on trying anxiously to waken her dragon assistant, Spike, for an important reason. She shook the small body tirelessly in the basket he slept in, only to get a quick snort and a claw push her hoof away.

The dragon creeped his eyes open, frowning in annoyance to the mare that was shaking him awake. He threw his bed covers over himself and snored abrumptiously. The shaking of the hooves stopped. A small smile of victory broke across his face, snuggling into his warm blanket to continue.

Though the Alicorn in disguise didn't give up. She lit the horn that poked out of her forehead and lifted the dragon out of his bed, instantly making his eyes shoot open. Hearing a couple groaning and snorting from the frowning dragon, she put him down on the floor on his small feet.

The dragon snarled at the secret Alicorn that had gotten victory over him, speaking in a bad tone "Why did you have to wake me up Twilight? I usually wake up in another hour." He crossed his arms and put his head down, yawning loudly.

Twilight was smiling, happily trotting over to the dragon and lifting him up onto her back, speaking joyfully "Because today is going to be your first day of school Spike, that's why I woke you up."

The purple dragons eyes widened "What! You've got to be joking Twilight. I can't go to school."

Twilight curiously asked "Why?"

Spike answered "Because I just don't think I'll like it is all."

Twilight began moving towards the stairs of the home, as she made her way to the bottom and sat the dragon on a cheer "Anything you would want for breakfast Spike?"

Spike rose an eyebrow and asked "Shouldn't I be the one who should ask you that question? And besides...what made you decide that I should go to school? I mean really, this is something I doubted you would ever do."

Twilight pulled out a couple gems from a cupboard while Spike wasn't looking at her, making sure he doesn't figure where her stash of gems was, so he wouldn't eat all of them in a matter of seconds "How about gems then? They seem to always fill you up quickly."

The dragon licked his lips in delight, hopping off the cheer and rushing into the kitchen next to Twilight and started "Yes! Oh the sweet gems, do you have rubies?"

Twilight smiled down at the happily jumping dragon, rolling her eyes and passing the different varieties of jewels to him and stated "I only thought it would be nice if you try something new instead of helping me each day. Besides, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo go to school together."

Spike paused and stated “I… think I know one of those names.”

Twilight cringed to herself for forgetting about that, now she remembered, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were in hiding for a long while, trying to avoid being found out for not having cutie marks yet

Twilight stated “Never mind just forget about it.”

Spike left slightly confused

Twilight then went upstairs to check on Moonlight


At the Ponyvill schoolhouse

Diamond Tiara insulted Applebloom for not having a cutie mark yet but that’s were the story shifts

Miss Cheerilee Announced “Let’s quiet down, please! It’s time to start the lesson. Today I would like to welcome a new student to our class.”

That caused a bit of commotion and confusion among the class, this seemed like it was an unusual time for new students
Miss Cheerilee Looked to the door and started “You can come in now, don’t me shy.”

The door opened and a young purple dragon with green spins along his back walked into the classroom, it was none other than Spike.

Miss Cheerilee ssked “Would you like to introduce yourself?”

Spike syed in exasperation and announced “Well some of you probably already know me but I’m Spike, and as you can already tell I’m a dragon, technically I’m still a baby dragon but Twilight says that’s only because we dragons age much slower than ponies do, going by pony years I’m about the same age as you all and Twilight thought it would be a good idea to come and make some friends my age, and you know what? After the walk over I kinda agree.”

Twist curious asked “What about your other friends.”

Spike simply replied “Not counting Twilight and her friends, I don’t have any.”

Miss Cheerilee cleared her throat before starting “Well class, I think it’s about time to start, theirs an empty seat beside Twist.”


School house seat arrangements for this chapter (for anyone who cares) (will change)

Pip Squeak, Featherweight, Twist, empty (Spike)
Diamond Tiara, Apple Bloom, Silver Spoon, empty (Sweetie belle)
Snips, Snails, Berry Pinch, empty (Scootaloo)
Dinky, random background fillies and colts


Spike took his seat and the lesson began, it was a bit of a challenge to keep up with the other students as he wasn’t used to this way of learning, but he unexpectedly fond himself enjoying himself in this classroom setting

The day ended and every pony and Spike began heading home for the day

Spike saw Twist and Applebloom walking together, saying something about being upset that they didn’t have their Cutie Marks yet so he decided to talk to them about it

Spike went up to the pare and stated “I couldn’t help but overhear you were upset that you two didn’t have cutie marks yet.”

They both agreed with his statement

Spike started “Well if you really want your cutie marks why not just try different things until you find the thing you are best at, for example, what do you like to do when your not at school?”

Twist stated “Well I’ve been working on a candy recipe, it should actually be ready now that it’s had time to harden.”

Spike replied “That’s cool, what about you Apple Bloom? What do you usually do outside of School? Is their anything you’ve always wanted to try doing?”

Apple Bloom stated “Well I usually do mi chores when I’m not at School, but…” She paused pondering until she realized “…Huh, I guess I never really thought bout that before I always thought that it was my destiny to be on the family farm and helping out but now I’m not sure.”

Spike suggested “Well maybe try and figure it out? Try talking to somepony.”

Apple Bloom stated “Thanks.”

The two left the school

The next day

Spike noticed that Apple Bloom looked upset when he walked into class, when he sat next to Twist he noticed that the filly now had a cutie mark so he could guess why Apple Bloom was upset

After school Apple Bloom ranted about how when they separated she tried working with her sister but ended up messing up and how now she was the only filly in class without her mark

Spike stated “I guess I can’t understand how you feel, I mean I know what my destiny is, I’ll always be by Twilight’s side, I may never get a Cutie mark but I know what my talent is to be the best assistant I can.”


Later that day at the party

Spike noticed that Applebloom was (poorly) attempting to hide her flank so he knew that no matter what she tried to say she didn’t have her cutie mark so he decided to try and avoid seeing this train wreck by hiding under a table where to his surprise two other fillies were in hiding

Spike awkwardly introduced himself “Um… hi I’m Spike.

The White Unicorn filly started “I’m Sweetie Belle and this is my friend Scootaloo.”

The Orange Pegasus filly waved at him

Spike took note of those names, he remembered Twilight told him about them, the way she spoke about them was weird, as if she somehow knew them, putting that thought aside for now he asked “Why are you hiding?”

Scootaloo answered “We were just eating then suddenly without warning the party started and we couldn’t get away in time, now we’re hiding so no pony sees that we’re the only blank-flanks here.”

Spike finally noticed that the two fillies in hiding did not in fact have Cutie Marks Spike then declared “Your not the only one without a Cutie Mark here.” Suddenly as if on cue the music of the party stoped and all eyes fell onto Applebloom, more specifically her exposed flank which was blank

That lead to not only Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle standing up to Diamond Tiara but also Spike helped out as well
Twilight smiled seeing spike being able to befriend the Cutie Mark Crusaders, oh she almost forgot, just in case
Twilight stated “You are one incredible group with unlimited potential, like Cutie Mark Crusaders or something.”

Applebloom asked “Cutie Mark Crusaders? Where’d you come up with that?”

Twilight lied “It just came to me.”

Scootaloo stated “Well I like it!”

Sweetie Belle declared “Me too!”

Spike started “It’s a good name.”

Applebloom declared “Then its decided, from this day forth we will be the Cutie Mark Crusaders, our mission will be to find our marks!”

Spike declared “I may not be able to receive a Cutie Mark but I’ll help any way I can and hay what if along the way we help other ponies discover their Cutie Marks?”

Scootaloo declared “Spike your a genius, we do what we can to find our marks and help others with theirs.”

The 4 did a four way hoof bump to celebrate their new goals

Author's Note:

I know I know, this chapter took forever to finish, I was kinda stumped for a while, I really wanted Spike to be a member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders but was stumped for a while trying to figure out how to go about doing it, so I hope what I came up with is a satisfying way of doing it.
If any of you were thinking they should’ve gotten their Cutie Marks right then and their when Spike gave them the idea to help others, let me explain, their only thinking about doing it, once they come to realize helping others with their Cutie Marks is what they want to do and stop pursuing their own marks then and only then will they earn their marks