• Published 24th May 2021
  • 2,240 Views, 88 Comments

The Gift of Time - Shadow Dragon



On her 1,000,000th birthday Princess Twilight Sparkle receives the greatest gift she could ever hope for, a chance to see her friends again

  • ...
8
 88
 2,240

Reunions are Magical Part 2

Nightmare Moon took the stage, cruel cold laughter echoed through the building. The small crowd stunned into silence as they realized this ebony monster had seemingly replaced their beloved solar princess. A moment passed before the members of Princess Celestia's guard sprung into action, a pair of white Pegasi in gleaming golden armor charged for the stage. At the same time the stairs down from the stage were blocked by unicorn and earth pony guards. Above the gasps of the crowd a single voice could be heard, barking orders to his men "Block her escape! She must know where the Princess is!"

The Pegasi guards charged at Nightmare Moon but the Alicorn yelled “Stand back you foal!” The Pegasi guards were swiftly defeated with some lightning that Nightmare Moon summoned

Rainbow Dash yelled “What did you do to our Princess?!”

Rainbow tried to charge at the dark Nightmare Moon but Applejack caught her by her tail and kept her grounded and at the same time Pinkie Pie gave some admittedly humorous guesses to the evil Alicorns name until Applejack shut her up by shoving a cupcake in her mouth

The dark Alicorn first went up to Fluttershy and asked “What am I not Royal enough for you? Dose my crown no longer count now that I’ve been imprisoned for 1000 years?” She then went up to Rarity and asked “Did you not recall the legend? Did none of you see the signs?”

This was when Twilight finally spoke up spoke up “I know exactly who you are. Your the Mare in the Moon, Nightmare Moon!”

Nightmare Moon grinned and said “Ah Somepony who remembers me, then you must also know why I am here!”

Without hesitation Twilight called out “Your here to block out the sun and cause nighttime eternal.”

The ponyvill citizens gasped in shock and Nightmare Moon said “Correct little filly, you know your actually the first not to show fear towards myself. Why?”

Twilight lied “Oh I’m actually terrified but not showing it, if you’ll please excuse me I would like to run for my life now.” Before Nightmare Moon could even comprehend what Twilight said she ran away as fast as possible. She could have easily teleported but Nightmare Moon didn’t know that, and Twilight wanted her “new” friends to follow her.

They got to the library and Twilight let Pinkie find the book even though she didn’t really need it herself it helped convinced her friends to go with her to the Everfree forest to find the Elements of Harmony, Twilight didn’t really need those either, she was fully confident that when it was just her and Nightmare Moon, Twilight could convince her to stop her rain of terror, and she had more than enough magical strength to defeat Nightmare Moon by herself if she had to. The elements where just the philosophical embodiments that the welders used, they would learn these traits and eventually lead to them being able to use the power of the elements even with no more elements, but right now her friends would need them even if they themselves didn’t know this fact yet.

They went to throw the Everfree Forest with the same obstacles as the first time, Applejack “saving” Twilight from falling off a cliff, Fluttershy calming an angry manticore, Pinkie Pie singing laughing in the face of fear, Rarity giving up her tail to Steven Magnet the Sea Serpent, and Rainbow not giving in to her own heart’s desires in order to help her friends. They finally made it to the old Castle of the two sisters where they found the Elements and Twilight got her friends to leave, Twilight knew what was coming next but had a completely Different plan from the first time.

As soon as Twilight and Nightmare Moon were alone in the tower where she would eventually be defeated Twilight said “Finally, I’ve been waiting for a chance to speak with you one on one.”

Nightmare Moon looked surprised so Twilight explained “I was never afraid of you, that was just a logical ruse to set you up, all those obstacles, I knew it was you, it helped make sure we didn’t lose our way, you wanted to keep me and my new friends away from finding the elements so I knew that we were going in the right direction, otherwise you wouldn’t have cared, and you won’t hurt me, you could have this whole time but you haven’t yet.”

That part wasn’t completely true, Twilight wasn’t in any danger even if Nightmare Moon attacked with all her strength, but Nightmare Moon didn’t know that so Twilight continued “Now that I have you right where I want you we can finally sit down and talk.”

Nightmare Moon scenically asked “Talk?”

Twilight lied “I know that if I try and fight you I’ll lose, you already have Dquestria at your hooves, and the only thing that could’ve stopped you don’t even work anymore, but I think I can convince you to stop all of this.”

Nightmare Moon got angrier and asked “Why world I listen to a single word you have to say?”

Twilight said “You don’t have to, you already won, I am but a Unicorn, compared to you? I wouldn’t last two seconds if we fought.” The opposite was actually true but only Twilight knew that so she continued “You already have caused eternal night, what’s a few short minutes of me only trying to convince you to stop your eternal night? I probably won’t make any difference, but it can’t hurt to let me try.” Twilight had her now, villains always complied when they think they have all the power in a situation

As if to prove her correct Nightmare Moon agreed to at least give her a chance to speak. Twilight began “Well first of all, present times are vastly different than during your banishment 1000 years ago, somepony’s work and play during the night, and their are even some nocturnal ponies who sleep during the daytime and stay awake all throughout the night.”

Nightmare Moon seemed surprised by this so she asked “How is something like that even possible?”

Twilight answered “It started with ponies who liked the idea of danger so they would go out at night and eventually would lead to ponies appreciate it you’re night sky much more than in the past which leads me to my second point, ponies simply cannot survive eternal night.”

Nightmare Moon got angry at that statement and protested “You lye!”

Twilight asked “What benefit could I possibly gain from lying to you? An all powerful Alicorn that is possibly stronger than Celesta who most ponies see as a god, some ponies think she is untouchable and yet the fact that she hasn’t shown for leads me to the conclusion that you two fought and you were able to beat her, in conclusion if I were to lye to you and you found out I was lying I’d be in real danger.” Technically she wasn’t lying, about the part with how ponies couldn’t survive eternal night but that was about it.

Nightmare Moon starred at Twilight for a moment to study her reaction until eventually she declared “Fine, enlighten me on how the sun is essential.”

Twilight nodded and said “first of all the sun provides heat and nutrients, without the sun is normal pony’s would freeze and their world also be a shortage of food, you’d be the ruler of a barren world and you don’t want that.”

Nightmare Moon was shocked by this, she had obviously not thought about that like Twilight predicted so she continued “As for my final point, I know more about you than I originally said I did.”

Nightmare Moon asked “Oh? What else could there be to know about me?”

Twilight answered “A few things, I only mentioned the part about you being the mare in the moon, also known as Nightmare Moon where everyone could hear me but I know you have another identity that most don’t know, you are the Princess of the night” Nightmare Moon looked shocked at being called by that title again but Twilight continued “The ruler of the dream realm” That part confused Nightmare Moon, she was originally under the impression that no pony knew about her job or the importance it had but she couldn’t dwell on this as Twilight wasn’t done talking and nothing could prepare her for what she said next “You are the little sister of Princess Celesta, but most importantly of all, you are Princess Luna.”

Nightmare Moon recoiled as twilight uttered her true name, the air of cool malice she had been giving off replaced by visible shock. A moment of silence hung in the air after Twilight spoke, finally giving way to Nightmare Moon's voice barely louder than a whisper "h-how do you know that name?"

The real answer was now she was using her future knowledge to her advantage but instead Twilight answered “It’s easy, I’m well read so when I came across the name Princess Luna in one of my books something didn’t make a lot of since, but they are making more since, for one thing according to the book I read Princess Luna has equal power to that of Celesta’s, this is the castle of the 2 sisters after all.”

Now Nightmare moon had tears in her eyes thinking about the time she still did use that name. Twilight said “In conclusion you don’t have to do this, pony’s already love your night, I know I do, and nopony will survive if you continue this, only you can end this, Princess Luna and you and I both know that you do.”

Nightmare Moon yelled “Yes, I do want to stop this! I want to lower the moon to save my little ponies! I do not need to be Nightmare Moon anymore for I am Princess Luna!”

That was the final peace needed, Twilight knew that Princess Luna was somewhere inside Nightmare Moon and her speech helped draw her out and Twilight expected that Luna would just transform back from Nightmare Moon until something that not even Twilight could’ve anticipated happened.

The two separated and as that happened, her friends suddenly rushed in to see the two separate, Princess Luna was about the same size as Twilight currently was, Dark blue fur, and a light blue main that looked normal as opposed to the magical flowing hair. Of course Princess Luna was still an Alicorn. Then their was Nightmare Moon who was basically now a living shadow wearing the armor of Nightmare Moon.

Twilight said “I did not know this was possible but good thing we have the elements of Harmony! They were the original plan now their the backup plan to the backup plan.” She was actually surprised and almost afraid now but she could work around this new development.

Nightmare Moon shouted “You forget one major detail I have your precious elements!” Nightmare Moon then shattered the stones

Twilight’s friends gasped in shock and the now weakened form of Princess Luna weakly cried out “Noooooo.”

Twilight started chuckling, the and then she had a soft laugh which eventually escalated into full blown laughter and Twilight said “Thank you!”

Pinkie Pie yelped “Oh no she’s gone crazy!”

Oh how right Pinkie was, being Immortal did cause Twilight to go mad but then eventually she became bored and became the most well put together pony in existence so she protested “Not yet! I needed Nightmare Moon to destroy those as the elements were trapped within stone so by shattering them she helped reactive them, now all we need are the right ponies to connect to the Elements of Harmony, and the ponies I need are right here!”

It’s been a long time since she said these words so she hoped it was close enough and said “Applejack, who reassured me when I was in doubt represent’s the Element of Honesty! Fluttershy who tamed a savage beast with her companion represents the Element of Kindness! Pinkie Pie who taught us to laugh in the face of danger represents the Element of Laughter! Rarity who quelled the sea serpent with a meaningful gift represents the Element of Generosity! And Rainbow Dash, who wouldn’t give into her own heart’s desires to help her friends represents the Element of Loyalty!”

As she was naming off the element representatives the shards of said element flouted around that pony and Twilight continued “And in case you think you’ve won because theirs no 6th element, well you’re wrong, because the 6th element is the one that brings the other 5 elements together, that spark ignites to create the most powerful element of all, by bringing the element welders together I represent the Element of Magic!”

The Element of Magic left its hidden placement and showed itself and the other elements turned themselves into the Elemental necklace's as Twilight liked to call them, and to her surprise, the Element of Magic became the form it was in when she wore it as her Princess Crown but that part honestly didn’t bother Twilight so she finished “The 6 of us together create the most powerful Magic of all! The Magic of Friendship!” The Elements each fired off colorful lasers which combined together to create a rainbow that headed towards Nightmare Moon. The only thing that remained after the blast was the armor of Nightmare Moon.

Twilight’s friends talk about what just happened and how crazy it was and Twilight helped Princess Luna to her feet, once the Princess in standing Princess Celesta comes in and explains basically what Twilight knew about Nightmare Moon. The two sisters have a small reunion and after that they all were about to leave when suddenly they heard a tiny sneeze coming from the armor.

Twilight decided to investigate and the first thing she did was lift up the help and underneath their was the source, a black foal with a purple main and tail, the weirdest part was this foal had both wings and a horn, making it an alicorn. Before anypony could even comprehend what was going on the foal looked at Twilight and cutely asked “Mama?”

Twilight cooed at the cute little foul and picked it up hugging it tightly, she had no idea what to do next, this was also different from her timeline, at least the Nightmare Moon separation thing was at least close enough to the timeline she knew where the Elements of Harmony would be the answer but this? This Twilight couldn’t make since of.

Princess Celesta walked up to Twilight and said “Twilight Sparkle, I think I know what’s going on, that foal is all that is left of Nightmare Moon, we need to get rid of it or else it could grow up and finish the job, now if you hand her over I can-“ The current Princess of Equestria was cut off when a sudden magical blast hit her and blasted her back right into a wall. The origin of the blast? Twilight’s smoking horn was a good hint. Twilight’s friends gasped in shock that Twilight just hurt their Princess, until the Princess said “Already you have the strength and will power of a mother protecting their young, I’ve actually heard about this, when a unicorn mother is protecting their young from being taken away, their magic power increases by 10 times, but Twilight’s felt more like 1000, most likely because she is the Element of Magic.” That was incorrect, that was only a single 100th of Twilight’s true magic strength, but Princess Celesta didn’t need to know that.

Princess Celesta continued “In light of that I have a new idea, Twilight Sparkle, you have the chance to stay in ponyvill to not only take care of your new daughter but also study the Magic of Friendship, I will expect reports on your progress however.”
Twilight let Princess Celesta know that she would do just that but made sure to ask if Celesta expected them at certain times, Twilight already knew the answer but it would be suspicious later. Twilight’s relationship with Celesta would be mixed at best, in the future on one hoof she was like a second mother to her, on the other she was currently mad at Celesta, she at times hated her with a vengeance, Twilight wanted revenge for the pain and misery Celesta put her through because of one simple fact, Celesta lied to her, Celesta said that Twilight wouldn’t outlive her friends which was one of her many concerns when she first became a Princess, well look how that turned out.

They all got back to Ponyvill so they could celebrate the reunion of the two sister Princess’s. This time Twilight got Pinkie Pie to somehow get Menuette, Lemon Heart, Twinkleshine, Lyra Heartstrings, and Moondancer to Ponyvill in time for the Party, as Twilight honestly would’ve expected, and Pinkie went above and beyond to even got her parents, Twilight Velvet and Night Light and even her older brother, Shining Armor.

Her parents and brother all yelled “Twily!” And hugged her so hard that she never appreciated immortality so much in all her life because of the simple fact, she didn’t need air as an Alicorn, it was really nice to be able to be with them once more.

Shining Armor then saw the foal and got a bit more strict and asked “Who’s this?”

Twilight answered “Oh she’s my new ADOPTED daughter.” She made absolute sure to put emphasis on the word adopted and continued “I’m gonna call her Moonlight Sparkle.”

Author's Note:

Three thing I wanted to mention
One I love the songs of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic but I don’t really know how to make a good musical scene, I’ll explain why in more detail in a later chapter
Two a few episodes will be out of order and a small handful skipped over but I will give explanations of what did happen different in that episode or how an episode just didn’t happen and I also have an even smaller handful of original ideas for episodes.
Three, No pony knows about Twilight being an Alicorn yet, she is still an Alicorn but using an illusion spell to make herself look like a Unicorn, about the Memory eraser spell, their will be no negative repercussions because hear is how it works, the Memory isn’t actually erased, the Memory is only looked away and the ponies effected won’t remember the event until a certain time so Twilight’s canterlot friends won’t remember Twilight is an Alicorn until she reveals it herself to the public, their will be some things to talk about when she finally does reveal she’s an Alicorn