• Published 17th May 2021
  • 838 Views, 74 Comments

Guardian Angel - Absentialucci



Trixie never intended to hurt anycreature... it was all just a part of the act! Why couldn't ponies see that?

  • ...
4
 74
 838

Chapter 7

Trixie was glad that she’d decided to walk. Trains were all well and good, but nothing quite beat the great outdoors. It was… refreshing. And it gave her time to think. Only, unlike when she was in her cell, it didn’t feel oppressive. She felt free, like she could almost soar.

Soar.

Trixie sighed happily. The word soar brought her mind to Rainbow Dash.

What is it about her that has me so… so hypnotized?

The sun felt pleasant and warm. There was a slight breeze, and not a cloud in the sky. A perfect day.

She’s certainly not perfect, but then again… neither am I. I guess that’s what makes relationships work. Creatures enjoy the company of others, in spite of their flaws. In fact, sometimes it’s the flaws that make them so endearing. Rainbow Dash’s biggest flaw… without a doubt her ego. But… having talked with her a lot, I can’t help but feel like it’s… almost a show. An act.

Trixie absent-mindidly started plucking at the ground with her magic. Dwarf sunflowers, a few coneflowers, a white clover, and finally a primrose.

She seems like she’s hiding her feelings from others. Surely she must be stressed… She’s the weather captain of Ponyville, and she’s a reserve member of the Wonderbolts. In addition to that, she’s called on an almost daily basis to fight off some monster threat or another. And yet… she still made time to visit me. How does she do it?

Loyalty. That’s what Rainbow Dash signified, she was loyal to those that she found worthy.

Does… does she see me as worthy?

Trixie halted, and closed her eyes.

Can I be worthy for her?

Rainbow Dash seemed to deeply care about those important to her. Trixie had no doubt in her mind that Rainbow would move the entire planet to be there for her friends.

Would I do the same for her?

Trixie thought about how much she had missed Rainbow. It wasn’t always obvious, but it was always there, bubbling under the surface. Now that Trixie didn’t have work to focus on, and had some semblance of free time for the next week, she couldn’t help but think about how much better it would be if she had Rainbow Dash at her flank.

We’d be able to truly show who had the greatest achievements. I would knock Rainbow off of her hooves! And even better… she wouldn’t make it easy for me. I’d have to fight hoof and horn for it.

But the question persisted. Why did Trixie feel the way she did for Rainbow?

It would be too easy to blame it on her looks… She’s certainly… very attractive…

Trixie felt herself grow warm.

But… physical allure isn’t everything.

Trixie opened her eyes, and saw a heart made of flowers floating in her magical aura. She jumped back, startled, and lost her concentration. The flowers she’d picked floated softly to the ground.

Maybe there really isn’t any explanation other than it feels… right.

Trixie shook her head, she couldn’t dwell on this, otherwise she’d never make it to Ponyville.

Maybe I should just not try and logically explain it, and just… spend time with her.

Trixie set her jaw, and gathered up the flowers she’d dropped.

Just one more type of flower… I need to find a red chrysanthemum. Then I could make a perfectly lovely flower arrangement. I… don’t think Rainbow is a flower kind of mare but… well, I still would like to get her some.

Trixie wasn’t sure why she suddenly wanted to get Rainbow Dash flowers… Maybe she just wanted to show Rainbow that Trixie was grateful for her being there for her when Trixie could’ve easily been at her lowest. Maybe she wanted to confess to something without saying it aloud. Maybe she wanted to give Rainbow a truly thoughtful gift… Or maybe she just simply wanted to get Rainbow a cute little flower arrangement.

Regardless of the case, Trixie resolved to purchase or find the last flower to make her arrangement complete.

I’ll do this for you, Rainbow. May it be the first step in a long journey. That is… if you’ll have me.

Trixie started moving again, determined to get to Ponyville by the end of the day.

***

Trixie slowly came to a halt. She’d conjured a vase of hard telekinesis, filled with water, and within she kept her flower arrangement. She sighed, as she focussed on her illusion magic. With a pop, the flower arrangement and telekinetic vase had disappeared from reality. Below her, she could see the citizens of Ponyville moving around, going about their business.

Well… here goes nothing.

Trixie inhaled deeply, held it for a second, then let it out. She could do this. Step by careful step, she made her way fastidiously down the hill. Before long, she was within the town boundaries. Ponies chatted amicably with one another, but gradually started to fall silent when they saw Trixie. Trixie gulped internally.

They don’t exist, you’re not here for them. You’re here for one pony in particular, if she’ll have you.

“Hey, what do you think you’re doing here?”

“Yeah! What makes you think you’re welcome?”

Trixie felt herself breathing heavily.

They aren’t here, they don’t matter. They don’t matter, they’re not here!

She kept walking, head low.

“Hey! We’re talking to you!”

Trixie started walking faster. She then realized that she had no idea where she was going. She had no idea where Rainbow Dash even lived.

“Witch!”

“Filthy illusionist!”

Trixie was barely holding herself together. The anger of the Ponyvillians was palpable.

As it should be… after what I put these poor ponies through… I deserve this.

She suddenly found herself in a corner, where two buildings joined together. Or maybe it was one building in the shape of an ‘L’ regardless, she couldn’t keep moving this way. She turned around to leave, and continue her search, but found herself staring into the angry faces of several ponies.

Nowhere to go. Nowhere to go.

“What gives you the right to come waltzing into our town?”

Came one voice.

“Yeah, you here to enslave us again?”

Trixie opened her mouth to respond.

“No, you don’t understa-”

“Save it!”

Hissed a voice, interrupting Trixie.

“We’ll hear none of it!”

Trixie started to shrink in on herself.

“But… but I apologized…”

Trixie whispered.

“And that suddenly makes it better?”

Came the voice of the first pony to address her, an earth pony stallion who stood above Trixie threateningly.

Trixie could do nothing but shake her head.

No… it… it doesn’t.

The stallion spit on the ground near Trixie, and she shrank from it, stomach nearly to the ground now, and head down. The earth pony scoffed.

“Let’s go guys, she’s not even worth our time.”

That hurt. More than it should have.
These ponies aren’t worth your time.
But they’re right! I’m not worth anything! I’m a terrible pony, and deserve no happiness!
That’s wrong, and you know it. You’ve made mistakes, but that doesn’t excuse the actions of these ponies.
Yes but… they still feel this way, all the same. I made them act like this!
You did no such thing. These ponies acted on their own volition. Nothing you did caused any of it.

Trixie’s eyes burned, and she blinked. She felt tears rolling down her face.

But I did. I caused so much misery for them… I made them my personal slaves for crying out loud!
That wasn’t you. The Alicorn Amulet was influencing your actions.
The key word being ‘influence’ it didn’t force me to do anything. It only did what I let it do.
Yes, you weren’t blameless, but at the same time, you are not entirely to blame!
Sounds like justification to me.
Like hell it is! It’s the truth, but you just refuse to see it!
But what if they’re right? What if I… if I snap again?

“I don’t want to hurt anypony…”

Trixie whimpered out loud.

Then don’t.

Trixie slowly rose to her hooves. She felt tired. So… so tired. She didn’t know how long she’d been laying there, but the sun was beginning to set at this point. She inhaled, shuddering. Then exhaled. She could do this. If the ponies of Ponyville wouldn’t forgive her, she’d make it so they saw her as forgivable. No matter how long it took. No matter how hard it would be. If she never succeeded before she died… well, she could rest easy, knowing that she’d done her best. But first… she needed to find Rainbow Dash. And she knew just where to look. During their many late nights of talking, Rainbow had described a certain grove of trees that she loved to nap in. Sometimes she just needed some shut-eye after a long day of clearing clouds. If Trixie couldn’t find her home, she could find her at that grove of trees. She was sure of it. A newfound determination flowed through Trixie. She would prove to these ponies that she was worthy of being forgiven. And she’d do it one pony at a time. Rainbow Dash was the best pony to start with, but she would not be the last.

I might need to take off more than one week here...